• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Retirement age fro Trans-people...

Two Headed Boy

Private Member
Reaction score
This is one of the more intriguing stories I've seen in the news surrounding the rights of transgender people:

This Trans Woman Took The Government To Court Over Her Pension Rights And Won

In a nutshell, this woman who was born a man has won the right to retire at 60 as a woman instead of 65. The UK courts initially said no, but she took it to the EU and won.

No doubt it is a story that'll get the gammon brigade into a self-righteous froth on Facebook, but for me it really highlights how bizarre a notion it was that women and men retired at different ages in the first place.

Last edited:
Surprised at this, most places I've worked moved womens retirement ages up to be in line with the blokes.

I believe that's the case for most folk but the old rules still apply to folk approaching retirement now I think. I know my mum is about to retire having just turned 60.

I believe that's the case for most folk but the old rules still apply to folk approaching retirement now I think. I know my mum is about to retire having just turned 60.
She must be taking early retirement. Women born 1958 retire on full pension at 66.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age/y/age/1958-06-01/female

Surprised at this, most places I've worked moved womens retirement ages up to be in line with the blokes.

This case was in respect of the state pension rather than private company offered pensions. Equalization of state pension age was started back in 1995 but the full process wasn't scheduled to reach full parity until 2020. This case related to a retirement date in 2008 so at that time for women of her age it was still 60.

She must be taking early retirement. Women born 1958 retire on full pension at 66.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age/y/age/1958-06-01/female
I'll need to ask her, might be different for her as she worked in the NHS since the 70s. I mind her saying folk who started not long after her wouldn't be able to do what she was.

I'll need to ask her, might be different for her as she worked in the NHS since the 70s. I mind her saying folk who started not long after her wouldn't be able to do what she was.

The normal retirement age for men and women, who stuck with the original NHS scheme, is/wiz 60. Some have special status, for example mental health status and are able to retire at 55.

She won't get her state pension though.

Work pension will likely be adjusted too but I don't blame anyone looking to do it if they can. I won't be able to do my job to 67 so something less demanding will be getting looked at early 60s I think. I'm loathed to take 7 years of adjustments to my work pension it I might not see 67 to benefit from it on full terms.

Work pension will likely be adjusted too but I don't blame anyone looking to do it if they can. I won't be able to do my job to 67 so something less demanding will be getting looked at early 60s I think. I'm loathed to take 7 years of adjustments to my work pension it I might not see 67 to benefit from it on full terms.

Spot on there. Imagine me doing mine at 60 odd. Can barely do it now I’ve had that many surgeries!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I retired 5 years ago, hard to believe, at 55. Nothing to do with the NHS stuff I said earlier.

Going from a relatively high profile job with lots of pressure to a part time job with no pressure I reckon it saved my life. I was offered a continuation of something similar to what I was doing and in retrospect thank f.... goodness I didn't.

I put into my works pension all my working life. I'm not going to sign up for the Edinburgh Suite on the proceeds but I'm comfy in my skin! My wee part time job is the equivalent of the old age pension and gets me out of bed a few mornings a week. It's perfect! The future is secure and financially is unlikely to change.

If you're young save for like fuck for your future. If you're older and able, retire as soon as you can. I've enjoyed many of the roles I've had but retirement is the best job I've ever had!

If you're young save for like fuck for your future. If you're older and able, retire as soon as you can. I've enjoyed many of the roles I've had but retirement is the best job I've ever had!

It is frightening as to how ill prepared some people are when it comes to retiring. There seems to be an awful lot of people not saving. Some if it might be down to not having any excess cash but I think a lot of it is down to ignorance. It is never too soon to start saving for your retirement.

This thread has been viewed 2146 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50