• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Questions to the Board

I originally posted this on another thread but the more I think about it the more I'd like to hear the board's view on some of these questions. So I thought I'd start a new thread and perhaps others can add questions they'd like answered and I wonder if @traceyhibs would be so kind as to share a collated list (I'm happy to put it together into one list) with her board colleagues? Not expecting point by point answers (although it would be nice) but even some general feedback on these would be welcome, or at least taking our views into account in future club communications?

I think the trouble we have is that there's so much of this cliched 'the board doesn't match the manager's ambition' empty rhetoric that no-one ever asks good questions of the board's performance. Challenges I'd suggest are valid (not saying they're doing a bad job on all of these, just that I think they're valid to ask) include:
  • Are they doing enough to support and promote HSL?
  • Should they be developing a parallel donation stream that's not tarnished by whatever nonsense has been thrown at HSL?
  • What are they doing to minimise off field expenditure to free up more funds for playing staff?
  • What level of cash reserves do we carry and are we too risk averse in that respect?
  • Does HTC truly represent value for money or would renting facilities be more cost effective?
  • What are they doing to attract external 'investment' (donations)?
There are probably others but ironically there's never a sensible discussion about board performance because of the shrillness of the anti-board brigade.

A fair answer, K. On the last part, I disagree. I've not heard anything from the club about the continuing (growing?) issue of sectarianism aimed at Hibs fans.

My point of view is that the unacceptable conduct push is valid and well intentioned but it also contrasts with how little the club is willing to do about home fans being subjected to sectarian singing/abuse. Leeann has been vocal about misconduct, flares and (weirdly) drugs. The club has gone to the extent of bringing in sniffer dogs and spent money on new camera systems to identify offenders yet there's still silence over the sectarian chanting from opposition supporters. I appreciate the need to take ownership of our own behavior first and this isn't coming from a "whatabout them?" point of view but if we can put this much effort into resolving the home fans problems, it seems odd that the board claims that the behavior of away fans is purely a police matter. The problem of sectarianism will not go away if everyone sticks their head in the sand.

You’re no the only one saying that ✅

A fair answer, K. On the last part, I disagree. I've not heard anything from the club about the continuing (growing?) issue of sectarianism aimed at Hibs fans.

My point of view is that the unacceptable conduct push is valid and well intentioned but it also contrasts with how little the club is willing to do about home fans being subjected to sectarian singing/abuse. Leeann has been vocal about misconduct, flares and (weirdly) drugs. The club has gone to the extent of bringing in sniffer dogs and spent money on new camera systems to identify offenders yet there's still silence over the sectarian chanting from opposition supporters. I appreciate the need to take ownership of our own behavior first and this isn't coming from a "whatabout them?" point of view but if we can put this much effort into resolving the home fans problems, it seems odd that the board claims that the behavior of away fans is purely a police matter. The problem of sectarianism will not go away if everyone sticks their head in the sand.

Forgot to mention - Got a note of this and a few similar feelings. I’ll update towards the end of May.

Passed on and reviewed today by the full board.

Hibernian FC should put in as much effort to tackle unacceptable behaviour (and everything that includes) from away fans attending Easter Road next season and beyond.

Linked but separate - club are happy with security checks and measures put in place for away fans post split.

Home fans - we’re barry.

Question about the John McGinn situation. Can the board clear up wether we had promotion clause and sell on clause. Also are St Mirren involved in either. I don’t expect figures or percentages, but it would be nice to know going forward.

Question about the John McGinn situation. Can the board clear up wether we had promotion clause and sell on clause. Also are St Mirren involved in either. I don’t expect figures or percentages, but it would be nice to know going forward.

It was asked directly last time and the response was - “The Club does not disclose transfer fees. However, the sale of John McGinn to Aston Villa has been widely reported on. Supporters should understand that any income from a sale has to be offset by a number of things. For example, part of the agreed purchase of John from St Mirren in 2015 was a “sell-on” clause that meant St Mirren were significant beneficiaries from the sale in 2018. A variety of fees require to be paid.” - I can ask again.

I don’t think St. Mirren or Aston Villa have released any details either - to my knowledge.

It was asked directly last time and the response was - “The Club does not disclose transfer fees. However, the sale of John McGinn to Aston Villa has been widely reported on. Supporters should understand that any income from a sale has to be offset by a number of things. For example, part of the agreed purchase of John from St Mirren in 2015 was a “sell-on” clause that meant St Mirren were significant beneficiaries from the sale in 2018. A variety of fees require to be paid.” - I can ask again.

I don’t think St. Mirren or Aston Villa have released any details either - to my knowledge.

Appreciate the effort. Read on the Villa forum that it was tweeted out that we are due £300,000. Seems a bit shite if you ask me.

Appreciate the effort. Read on the Villa forum that it was tweeted out that we are due £300,000. Seems a bit shite if you ask me.

I would expect better than that.

Hi,

As Kieran’s stated unfortunately because the fee etc were undisclosed and both parties have agreed to that then anything attached to that deal cannot be disclosed either.

All I would say is don’t believe everything you read. I know it’s hard when you don’t have the info and relying on other sources. I feel the club did a great deal and all in the best interests of the club and the player.

Cheers

Tracey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard recently that an official at AV, can't remember who, was quoted saying the SJM deal/contract was one of the most comprehensive he'd ever come across.

It doesn't say Hibs got a great deal but suggests to me Hibs negotiation team got the best they could.

I heard recently that an official at AV, can't remember who, was quoted saying the SJM deal/contract was one of the most comprehensive he'd ever come across.

It doesn't say Hibs got a great deal but suggests to me Hibs negotiation team got the best they could.

Think it was Steve Bruce earlier in the season. Don’t understand why other representatives can spill details about the deal, but we can’t. Simply saying yes we negotiated a sell on fee or promotion percentage doesn’t change anything. St Mirren chairman actually tweeted about the money they made when he was sold to Villa.

Every deal of any significance has been withheld from the fans, pisses me off.

Think it was Steve Bruce earlier in the season. Don’t understand why other representatives can spill details about the deal, but we can’t. Simply saying yes we negotiated a sell on fee or promotion percentage doesn’t change anything. St Mirren chairman actually tweeted about the money they made when he was sold to Villa.

Every deal of any significance has been withheld from the fans, pisses me off.

I agree with you but it can't be withheld from the club's accounts, so we will find out eventually (unless we sell any other players for big bucks which will muddy the waters).

I think we were able to tell what we made from the Steven Fletcher sell-on via the club's own published accounts.

I’m actually quite happy that Hibs keep such details confidential. I think the answer given makes it pretty clear that we are more than satisfied with the deal – so that’s good.

If Hibs were to put figures out it would generate the usual criticism – either a better deal has been missed, or the Board are liars. Not saying everyone would say that, but certainly some would. Probably the same idiots who banged on about the Ponzi Deal without having a clue what that actually was.

It would also flag up to other clubs a marker – let them know how good we are at ‘add-ons’ or encourage selling clubs to expect more as we had a ‘windfall payment’ due.

The Rangers are pretty good at giving out details – the wee cauliflower faced striker being worth £16,000,000 according to Jabba – then torpedoed by Steeeevie saying he’s only had one bid, less than £3,000,000. Remember some other guy whose name escapes me that The Rangers turned down six or seven million for (ha fcukin ha) and then sold for less than a million. So clearly the figures that get bandied about by others need to be taken with a pinch of salt. It’s a PR game.

I don’t think fans are ‘entitled’ to such information either. The audited accounts gives some info on the finances, although the details of the deals and the fact that payments are often over a few seasons makes it hard to attribute income to single transfers.

So……. to some up……………………. if @Power and @traceyhibs think we have secured a very good deal then I’m more than happy to accept that they are being honest.

This thread has been viewed 39792 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back