• Stay at home. Protect Everyone.

Save Lives, Stay Safe.

Hibs Kids In Hospital - Thank You NHS Shirt Donation

Qries

Queens Park V Hibs 1956

Admin
Interestingly it seems we lost and drew with Queens Park that season, was that the start of the break up of the Famous 5?

Greenmachine

Bounce Radge
Thanks for that great footage.

I've been doing a bit of checking as I was curious to see what the Hibs line-up was that day. Unfortunately I couldn't get the line-up, but it looks from what I was able to find that the game was played on 19 January 1957 and Hibs lost 2-1. The crowd was just over 11,000. Queens Park were promoted to the First Division the previous season 1955/56. The teams had drawn 1-1 at Easter Road earlier in the season.
Trying to identify the players, Gordon Smith is definately number 7, Reilly and Ormond still playing. I think it was Reilly's headed goal that was disallowed. In those days you were allowed to charge into the goalkeeper when he had both hands on the ball and push him into the net and goals were still awarded, though not in this case.
Famous Five and Hibs as a team were definately in decline by early 1957. Hearts unfortunately had taken over as the top dogs in scottish football. Bobby Johnstone had left in 1955, but the remaining four would likely have been playing in this game....although all would have been at the veteran stage, especially Gordon Smith who would have been around 34 by this time, although he went on to win the league with Hearts and Dundee after this.
Strange that both ends at Hampden were so empty and the middle sections relatively busy. Also noticeable is the slow pace of the game, and the appalling state of the match ball and the pitch.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Admin
Thanks for that great footage.

I've been doing a bit of checking as I was curious to see what the Hibs line-up was that day. Unfortunately I couldn't get the line-up, but it looks from what I was able to find that the game was played on 19 January 1957 and Hibs lost 2-1. The crowd was just over 11,000. Queens Park were promoted to the First Division the previous season 1955/56. The teams had drawn 1-1 at Easter Road earlier in the season.
Trying to identify the players, Gordon Smith is definately number 7, Reilly and Ormond still playing. I think it was Reilly's headed goal that was disallowed. In those days you were allowed to charge into the goalkeeper when he had both hands on the ball and push him into the net and goals were still awarded, though not in this case.
Famous Five and Hibs as a team were definately in decline by early 1957. Hearts unfortunately had taken over as the top dogs in scottish football. Bobby Johnstone had left in 1955, but the remaining four would likely have been playing in this game....although all would have been at the veteran stage, especially Gordon Smith who would have been around 34 by this time, although he went on to win the league with Hearts and Dundee after this.
Strange that both ends at Hampden were so empty and the middle sections relatively busy. Also noticeable is the slow pace of the game, and the appalling state of the match ball and the pitch.
At the start that looks like Turnbull a wee bit back, ready to receive a pass and deliver one of his famous thunderbolts.
BIG G

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Admin
Right fellow dafties, a wee teaser to pass a bit time. Between you making splendid food and me slagging the Posh boy Sir.

These bairns were enjoying themselves as Hibs were doing two in a row. This artefact, by definition typically one of cultural or historical interest was.....rammed,rammed,rammed.

Fuck me I should present QI or University Challenge amigos.

Rules are dinnae be a smart @@$@, no Google gobshite stuff, phoning a friend, clairvoyance, or thowing runes. If you know , because of previous knowledge, put your hands up.

FFS the first prize is the winner buying me a couple of pints of black, on going back to full spendid watching the Hibs.

Kick on folk.

Fuck the Merricks as the Proclaimer would say.

Fire in. Will answer later.

If I were a bookie you would get 250/1

BIG G

Last edited:

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
Thanks for posting BIG G - brilliant stuff.
If it is the 19 January 1957 match this is the Hibs line-up (from the ever-marvellous ihibs site):
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=74277
1. Jackie Wren 2. John Grant 3. Jock Paterson 4. Bobby Nicol 5. John Plenderleith 6. Pat Hughes 7. Gordon Smith 8. John Fraser. 9. Lawrie Reilly. 10. Eddie Turnbull 11. Willie Ormond.
Lawrie Reilly getting Hibs' goal in a 2-1 loss.
This is the first film I've seen which gives you some idea of Hibs style of play back then. Most of the other old footage seems to be made up from short disjointed clips with frequent bewildering changes of camera angle. The formation seems to switch between 5-2-3 and 3-4-3. Willie Ormond sees a lot of the ball, he twists and turns and beats defenders with tricks - previously I'd imagined him as a fast direct strong runner with a powerful shot. Lawrie Reilly is the target man, his job is to receive the ball, play it out to the wings, then race into the middle ready to get on the end of a cross. Gordon Smith drifts into a more central position near the goal when play is on the other wing. The defenders press their opponents and don't give them time to control the ball and turn. The ball itself looks like it weighs about twice as much as a modern day ball and it seems to take an immense effort to propel it even a short distance.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Admin
Thanks for posting BIG G - brilliant stuff.
If it is the 19 January 1957 match this is the Hibs line-up (from the ever-marvellous ihibs site):
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=74277
1. Jackie Wren 2. John Grant 3. Jock Paterson 4. Bobby Nicol 5. John Plenderleith 6. Pat Hughes 7. Gordon Smith 8. John Fraser. 9. Lawrie Reilly. 10. Eddie Turnbull 11. Willie Ormond.
Lawrie Reilly getting Hibs' goal in a 2-1 loss.
This is the first film I've seen which gives you some idea of Hibs style of play back then. Most of the other old footage seems to be made up from short disjointed clips with frequent bewildering changes of camera angle. The formation seems to switch between 5-2-3 and 3-4-3. Willie Ormond sees a lot of the ball, he twists and turns and beats defenders with tricks - previously I'd imagined him as a fast direct strong runner with a powerful shot. Lawrie Reilly is the target man, his job is to receive the ball, play it out to the wings, then race into the middle ready to get on the end of a cross. Gordon Smith drifts into a more central position near the goal when play is on the other wing. The defenders press their opponents and don't give them time to control the ball and turn. The ball itself looks like it weighs about twice as much as a modern day ball and it seems to take an immense effort to propel it even a short distance.
Mark as expected a great observation. However , gives a shot at the above conundrum amigo. Ask Kham Mai or the bairns amigo. When I drove down to outer Leeds with my two whippets to pick up your magnificent mosaic .They kent mair about Hibs than you ya imposter.
Give it a dash. What was that artefact and when. Kick on Mark, nae cheating.
Spendid to talk again my good St. Patrick's Branch comrade.
BIG G

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
Mark as expected a great observation. However , gives a shot at the above conundrum amigo. Ask Kham Mai or the bairns amigo. When I drove down to outer Leeds with my two whippets to pick up your magnificent mosaic .They kent mair about Hibs than you ya imposter.
Give it a dash. What was that artefact and when. Kick on Mark, nae cheating.
Spendid to talk again my good St. Patrick's Branch comrade.
BIG G
This is the conundrum, right? -
"These bairns were enjoying themselves as Hibs were doing two in a row. This artefact, by definition typically one of cultural or historical interest was.....rammed,rammed,rammed."
Hibs did two in a row when we won the league 50-51 and 51-52 so are you thinking about something from the early fifties? And that's as far as I can get. Sorry. No good with these cryptic puzzles.

Westside Green

Bounce Radge
This is the conundrum, right? -
"These bairns were enjoying themselves as Hibs were doing two in a row. This artefact, by definition typically one of cultural or historical interest was.....rammed,rammed,rammed."
Hibs did two in a row when we won the league 50-51 and 51-52 so are you thinking about something from the early fifties? And that's as far as I can get. Sorry. No good with these cryptic puzzles.
Did we win 2 games in a row when Ottawan were in the charts?
Too complicated for me.

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
OK. Willie Wilson buys me a half pint. 1951. Two League titles in a row. The answer is the Crawford Bridge.

BIG G
Good one G. One of the makers of that film, James Ritchie, was a science teacher at Norton Park school next to the stadium. Besides collecting and recording traditional children's street games and songs and other folklore he also wrote many poems about football including one titled 'Easter Road':
Green leaf or blade ye'll hardly pass
By Sweetie Lane or Smokey Brae
But here's the 'Colour of the Grass'
The Hibees in their Arcady
and so on it goes.
(It's a great poem, although his daughter told me he leaned towards Hearts)
His books Golden City and The Singing Street were republished 20 years ago. The Singing Street has a chapter on old football songs, if you want to know what the singing section were chanting 70 plus years ago.

Daddy 'O' Hibee

The Hibee Radge
Bounce Radge
Enjoyed this thread, love the images of bygone days, some of the black and white footage gave glimpses of players less famous than the obvious, Andy Aitken caught my eye, winger I believe. I loved hearing stories about Hibs from my elders. Its true their memory marches on. GGTTH

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

We are looking for users to donate to reach our shortfall of Ā£100 per month to pay for the server, we realise that users may not be able to with this nasty virus, but if can, it would be very much appriecated ? We have had some cancellations on Direct Debits sadly. If you wish to set up a DD then please do so via the UPGRADES section. Stay Safe, The Bounce.
Goal
Ā£100.00
Earned
Ā£10.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage

The Bounce is 18 Years Old