Palestine Football Team

May 30, 2005
Capital
Why do they have to play in the Asian Qualifying rounds when they are as close, if not closer, than Israel to European mainland?

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
It would be easier for Israel to play in Asia?

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com

Two Headed Boy

Radge Donator
Registered
Jan 2, 2010
Glasgow
Yes. I think this question is more apt. Given that Israel isn`t in Europe. It`s in Asia.
So is Kazakhstan, some of Turkey and most of Russia and Azerbaijan, all of which play their football under UEFA. I don't think the inclusion of Israel is particularly controversial. Some countries in the Middle East and former Soviet Union have always been quite distinct from the political and cultural norms of their European and Asian neighbors.

Hectorhib

Registered
Jan 17, 2018
Ireland
Could it be that it is less likely to be a source of tension and controversy to have Israel play in Europe than it would be to have them play against teams in the Asian group?

Fritz

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Dec 18, 2009
Living in Hope.
So is Kazakhstan, some of Turkey and most of Russia and Azerbaijan, all of which play their football under UEFA. I don't think the inclusion of Israel is particularly controversial. Some countries in the Middle East and former Soviet Union have always been quite distinct from the political and cultural norms of their European and Asian neighbors.
I guess it`s where you define the 'border' of Europe and Asia. Turkey has always been on the line where Asia becomes Europe. So has Kazakhstan....and Russia, Azerbaijan etc.....They are granted Euro/Asian status. Israel though, is in Asia only. It`s a fact.

I know that Israel are treated differently, probably for political reasons, but it doesn`t alter the fact it`s an Asian country and, all things being equal, should be playing in Asian competition.

All things aren`t equal of course.

Last edited:

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Oct 26, 2004
Right here, right now
Through history, Asian sports associations have kicked Israel out of those local associations for political reasons. It's not just football but other sports too Sometimes though Israel have left of their own volition due to security concerns or their own political reasons. It's been an on off thing throughout their sporting history.

Last edited:

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
So when are Palestine and Israel playing a friendly then?

pq123

Registered
Player Sponsor
Aug 30, 2002
Edinburgh
Fifa would have logistical nightmares at the thought of Israel playing in Asia. 14 countries in Asia refuse to recognise Israeli passports and the national team would therefore be refused entry if arriving in any of these countries for a fixture.
I assume FIFA would then have to ban the country refusing to let Israel in.
I suspect Palestine would not have that problem.

PQ123

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
Palestine players are dependent on Israeli governments letting them leave the country so have similar problems I believe

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Hearts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jun 28, 2002
EH6
Meanwhile the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest is being held in the Middle East. In Tel Aviv to be precise. Bizarre.

BIG G

vasco de gama

Private Member
Registered
Dec 20, 2006
Southern California
Yes. I think this question is more apt. Given that Israel isn`t in Europe. It`s in Asia.
It wasn't really a question- Purple and Green was posting a link explaining why Israel joined UEFA in 1994, 20 years after they were banned from the Asian Football Association and 30 years since 11 of the 16 AFA nations refused to partake in the Asian Cup because it was being hosted in Israel.