• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

One in seven Britons believe in creationism over evolution

No, not by accicent, but thanks to Science, we know exactly how.

All atoms are made up of three particles, Protons , Neutrons and Electrons.

A few nanoseconds after the big bang, the expansion of the universe was such that the Quarks could bind together to form Neutrons and protons, and few nanoseconds later, the electrons formed. After roughly 380,000 years , the universe had expanded and the temperature had dropped further so that these Protons , Neutrons and Electrons could form the lightest of elements, Hydrogen (75%) ,Helium-4 (25%) .

After Millions/billions of years, these elements formed clusters by gravitational attraction, and if the cluster was dense enough, the hydrogen was packed so tightly by gravity that the temperature rose and nuclear fusion could take place , Stars were formed.

Now, after Millions and Billions of years , the Hydrogen fuel of these stars starts to run out , and the only way the Star can continue burning, is for the "Ash" of Hydrogen fusion, Helium to start fusing , as the radiation pressure reduces and gravity again increases in the stellar core. This can continue all the way up to Iron. Elements heavier than this can only be formed in a Supernova, as this is the only method possible (In nature) to generate enough binding energy for the protons and neutrons.
Nucleosynthesis_in_a_star.gif

So there is no magic in this, no "let there be light", only fantastic work done by the men and women working in Physics to deduce and use experimentation to establish these facts. And with the repairs to the LHC, they can hope to understand just that little bit more.

And in another field , the understanding of these atoms and how they bond to each other, meant that Chemists could manufacture materials synthetically and know exactly how they then would perform.

Oops.. I am a quite lad as well. :doh

Which reminds me -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MOcDqwzoVw"]YouTube - Moby - We are all made of stars[/ame]

and, despite all this enormous knowledge of particles and and elements and polymers and stuff, you don't understand the meaning of the word "literally"

Sad indictment of our education system :banger:

and, despite all this enormous knowledge of particles and and elements and polymers and stuff, you don't understand the meaning of the word "literally"

Sad indictment of our education system :banger:

Ha!

You old fart cloudy.

:shrink205:

I recall a discussion on this very point quite some time ago, it may have been Smurf that was one protagonist?

Anyhoo, like yourself many of us older Bouncers believed that "literally" literally meant actually. If you know what I mean. But then some bozo came up with references that demonstrated that the word is now commonly used to mean "virtually or effectively"........

Literally contradicting itself.
danniiR

So there you have it.
:giggle:
You have demonstrated that you are literally an old fogey.
grandpa

Ha!

You old fart cloudy.

:shrink205:

I recall a discussion on this very point quite some time ago, it may have been Smurf that was one protagonist?

Anyhoo, like yourself many of us older Bouncers believed that "literally" literally meant actually. If you know what I mean. But then some bozo came up with references that demonstrated that the word is now commonly used to mean "virtually or effectively"........

Literally contradicting itself.
danniiR

So there you have it.
:giggle:
You have demonstrated that you are literally an old fogey.
grandpa

I have read your post, and given it due consideration.
I have made a call on my portable telephone to my old mate the Hibbee Professor who has published several books on English Language and Usage.

We are agreed that you are talking steaming horse manure.
Smurf ? Who he ?

If you wish to discuss this further, I will be back on after spending the next 10 days on my boat off Newport in an attempt to avoid all mention of the Open golf:banger:

This thread has been viewed 4488 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£57.50