• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

On This Date in History

Jello Biafra

Johnny Cash Radge
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
30 years ago today: Saturday, 19 August 1989; PD; Hibs 2-0 dead club. In front of 26,000 spectators a goal fi Houchie after about 19 minutes going up the slope in the first half and one from Mickey Weir after about 52 mins going down the slope in the second half after Bonni Ginzburg (sp. ?) dropped the ball gave us our first two points (as it then still was; 3 points wasn't introduced in Scotland until the 1994-95 season) from our first home fixture. Interestingly, this was the third time in four seasons that Souness's dead club had lost at Easter Road in their first or second league game in August (1986, 1987 and 1989). And the other year (1988) the second league fixture was at the lodge. We drew 0-0. Still, despite that early season promise, we'd finish disappointingly fifth; they'd retain the title (the second of nine); and then the spectre of Mercer's takeover loomed over us like Banquo's ghost at Macbeth's banquet.

Random reminiscence: I was at Ninian Park, Cardiff that day, having been into town and bought the 'Beer & Sex & Chips 'n' Gravy' album by The Macc Lads and the 45rpm single of 'Holiday in Cambodia' by the Dead Kennedys from the legendary Spiller's records shop at The Hayes (anyone who knows music in Cardiff will be aware of this fantastic record shop). Anyway, resplendent in the 1987-88 Hibs home top, complete with crown and football badge (1989-90 was the first season the Planet Saturn effect adorned our strip), I went to the footy. It was the first day of the season in England, and City were in the third division (League 1 today; Hecky would probably have signed half the then City team; who were shite and got relegated), hosting a decent Bolton team (who won 2 nowt through quite spectacular goals from Philliskirk and Darby). At half-time they announced the scores and mentioned that, 'in Scotland, Huns are losing, 1-0 to Hibernian'! At which point I launched masel and had a mad wee bounce on ma own in the middle of the (sparsely filled; the attendance that day was 4,376) Bob Bank. To which some grizzled Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrdiffffffffffffff geezer (complete wi 80s mullet n muzzy) to my left enquired (in a Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfifffffffffffff accent that would strip the walls of a shitehouse in the Loire (Oz, AWP), 'Is you wearing that for a bet?' Nobody laughed. I just blankly said, 'Eh, naw, mate. Ah'm a Hibby. I live in Wales, but. City's ma 2nd team'.

And off he went wi a fart n a stagger. To bore every **** wi predictably unfunny witticisms such as, 'I tell you what, Rogerson (Ian Rogerson, the then City right-back), you couldn't cross a phuckin' road!'

Footy banter, eh? Ye cannae whack it.

24 years ago today: Saturday, 19 August 1995; League Cup; Hibs 3-1 Stenny. Went to this we Decal Joe (who used ma old man's ST that day; this was in the days when yer ST still covered domestic cup games; a practice I would like to see reinstated. But it won't be). Fairly non-descript match against a team who had enjoyed a memorable Scottish Cup run just five or six calendar months earlier. Which, of course, was ended by us when we 4-0 in the March. A free-kick/long-range shot from Super Joe T being the pick of the bunch, as I recall.

19 years ago today: Saturday, 19 August 2000: PD; Sheep 0-2 Hibs. A penalty after 5 mins by Russell Latapy and a goal by Mixu after 80 gave us our fourth successive win on the trot. This was our first season with the current badge. I loved/love that Hibs home strip. One of my faves, no doubt. And, of course, it achieved iconic status for its appearance in the 6-2 derby win which was only two months and three days away.

Incidentally, my fave ever home strip is the round-necked all bottle green top from Stubbsy's first season. I love watching those home wins v the new club at Xmas (4-0) and the muppets in April (2-0). Even if the Grammarly ads on You Tube induce murderous thoughts.

13 years ago today: Saturday, 19 August 2006: ?

2 years ago today: Saturday, 19 August 2017; PD; Hibs 1-3 Hamilton Accies. In true Hibs fashion we followed a win at the lodge against the new club (our third successive 3-2 win against the *****; and at three successively different venues; I wanted us to play them in my back garden the following week and beat them by the same score; the next week Porty Pitz; then the Links; then Glasgow Green; sorry; I've laboured the point somewhat. But you get the picture) by making a **** of it against a so-called lesser team. We were three down before Stokesy pulled one back.

Bizarrely, my Jambo Uncle Fraser (who also lives down south) was up in Edinburgh that weekend, and stayed at some guesthouse at the Links. anyway, he clearly didnae fancy going through to Ibrox to watch hertz; so he went to Easter Road to watch us instead. His verdict? Well, it consisted of one word, was monosyllabic, succinct, concise and would appear to have encapsulated the very essence of our performance that day: 'SHITE'!

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
RE the win against the huns in 1989...I was in Benitses in Corfu on holiday when that game was played. Remember coming out my hotel and meeting a few guys who were clearly Hibbies all celebrating. They told me Hibs had won 2-0. That was a good night.

Jello Biafra

Johnny Cash Radge
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
RE the win against the huns in 1989...I was in Benitses in Corfu on holiday when that game was played. Remember coming out my hotel and meeting a few guys who were clearly Hibbies all celebrating. They told me Hibs had won 2-0. That was a good night.
Well, seeing as you werenae there, either, GM, here are the highlights fi the following day's Skudsport. Which I've just found on YT (and, for once, I was not subjected to a patronising Grammarly ad).

-

Westside Green

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
13 years ago today: Saturday, 19 August 2006: ?

3-1 at home to Motherwell. Jones, Benji and Fletcher

tricky

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Think that all green home shirt you allude to might be one of my least favourite Hibs home shirts of all time

Jello Biafra

Johnny Cash Radge
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Think that all green home shirt you allude to might be one of my least favourite Hibs home shirts of all time
Opinions, eh? I prefer us in bottle green. It differentiates us from Celtic amongst other things. Also, I've never agreed that we should always play in a green shirt with white sleeves. Why not green and white vertical stripes? Why not an Ajax-style green and white top?

I appreciate I'm very much in the minority here. But I'm open to the club experimenting with different styles for the home top.

As long as it's predominantly green, and the other colour is white, I'm happy.

Hibs v Gunts

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel