• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Norman Hunter RIP

Greenmachine

Private Member
Reaction score
Dead at 76 from Covid-19

He was a hard man and could be brutal in the tackle, but a great defender and an integral part of part of Don Revie's great all-conquering Leeds United team of the late 60's and early 70's.

RIP Norman.

Last edited:
Shame to see the news, went to a smoker in York where he was the after diner speaker, a real character and had lots of time for everyone at the event. A legend down this part of the world.

Watch some of the old videos of football in the 70's and it seems to be a world away from what we see now., feels like we miss that and the characters who played. Or am I just old!

I thought that Leeds team were very good on their day. The type of player that provides a much needed team balance, crunch . ouch. RIP sir.

Had the pleasure of seeing him in the great Leeds team against Hibernians in December 1967 and January 1968. Two things stick out. Colin Stein getting stretchered off in December at Elland Road then scoring the next month to level the scores. The second was the infamous Willie Wilson too many steps free kick and the resultant heided winner from Jack Charlton. 40,000 on a crisp Wednesday night under Easter Road floodlights.Those were the days my friends.

BIG G

Had the pleasure of seeing him in the great Leeds team against Hibernians in December 1967 and January 1968. Two things stick out. Colin Stein getting stretchered off in December at Elland Road then scoring the next month to level the scores. The second was the infamous Willie Wilson too many steps free kick and the resultant heided winner from Jack Charlton. 40,000 on a crisp Wednesday night under Easter Road floodlights.Those were the days my friends.

BIG G
I thought they'd never end :)

Only time I saw Norman Hunter play was for Bristol City in the late 70's against Hibs at Easter Road in the Anglo Scottish Cup and he was sent off. Tom Hart memorably called Bristol City "butchers" after the game.

BIG G

That was one of the very few times I ever saw a 'keeper penalised for that, or maybe I just remember that one because I was so furious at the time. I think the rule had just been brought in? After we took that sair yin we used to scream for similar free kicks against any opposition where there was even a hint of the rule being broken. A 'keeper would take a high ball off balance and stagger a couple of steps off balance....... "REF REF FCUKIN REFEREEEEEE"
:52:

Never seemed to work.
:cryy:

BIG G
I was working in London 72/73 and went to Wembley at the start of 73 to see a World Cup qualifier between England and Wales with a Welsh guy, Graeme Edwards, I was working alongside. The game was a 1-1 draw, but the highlight of the night was Hunter scoring a screamer from about 30-35 yards to equalise for the Englanders. He was a terrific player, but he was typical of many of the Leeds team at that time, being good and being a dirty bassa in equal measure.
I was at that game at Easter Road against Leeds, BIG G, but I thought the Wilson incident was a coupla years later, but I defer to your superior memory. I do remember Billy Bremner being outstanding when he played against us, both in the game at Elland Road in the early 70's, when Big Tony retracted his neck when it seemed easier to score, and at Easter Road when Bremner decided to show everyone what a great player he was.

Last edited:
Only time I saw Norman Hunter play was for Bristol City in the late 70's against Hibs at Easter Road in the Anglo Scottish Cup and he was sent off. Tom Hart memorably called Bristol City "butchers" after the game.

I'd forgotten that one. Ended a draw but we got horsed in the away tie I think.

Quite a character was Norman.... I remember him and Frannie Lee going toe-to-toe (twice) in a game. It was brilliant!

Quite a character was Norman.... I remember him and Frannie Lee going toe-to-toe (twice) in a game. It was brilliant!
You can see that Frannie Lee pagger on YouTube...it's great viewing.
They were both sent off at the same time and both started boxing each other on the way off the field.

Sorry to read this. I met him in Jakarta at a smokers, he was a surprisingly quiet spoken. Joe Royle was there too, a personal hero of mine, he was a great laugh and enjoyed a good bevvy with us.

RIP

Known as 'bite yer legs' but also Norman 'Head case' Hunter; sad loss, living in Leeds for 20 years I had built up quite an affinity for Leeds Utd. It was more for the association with fine Scottish players over the years but he was part of that magic, late 60's/early 70's era. Saw him once or twice at ma local, with the immense Eddie Gray. Terry Yorath lived in there, but after his recollection of the Bradford City fire, it doesn't surprise me...
Tragedy that Hunter succumbed to such a sh*tty disease, his altercation with Franny Lee is scary. Think Franny actually got the better of him though….
I remember that hame leg against Bristol City in the subsequently pointless Anglo Scottish Cup. I must admit always thought it wis Peter Cormack who got sent off. Yes we got horsed in the second leg, 4-2 I think. The ainly saving grace was the contribution of the gifted Ally McLeod, who deserved a better career...

Last edited:
RIP one of the great names of 70s fitba

and "bite yer legs" norm, shat it from wee fatty franny as he threw haymakers at him.

I was working in London 72/73 and went to Wembley at the start of 73 to see a World Cup qualifier between England and Wales with a Welsh guy, Graeme Edwards, I was working alongside. The game was a 1-1 draw, but the highlight of the night was Hunter scoring a screamer from about 30-35 yards to equalise for the Englanders. He was a terrific player, but he was typical of many of the Leeds team at that time, being good and being a dirty bassa in equal measure.
I was at that game at Easter Road against Leeds, BIG G, but I thought the Wilson incident was a coupla years later, but I defer to your superior memory. I do remember Billy Bremner being outstanding when he played against us, both in the game at Elland Road in the early 70's, when Big Tony retracted his neck when it seemed easier to score, and at Easter Road when Bremner decided to show everyone what a great player he was.

An account of it here amigo.

What I did forget until reading this just now was that the ref was Clive 'the book' Thomas, called that by fans in England because of his strict interpretation of the rules, oh aye and remember at the World Cup in Argentina, he officiated the Round 1 match between Brazil and Sweden , in which he infamously blew the whistle for full time during a play from a corner kick, thus disallowing the late goal Zico scored moments later, which would have given Brazil a 2-1 win.

BIG G

Last edited:
Guest Speaker

IMG-20200417-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200417-WA0004.jpg

An account of it here amigo.

What I did forget until reading this just now was that the ref was Clive 'the book' Thomas, called that by fans in England because of his strict interpretation of the rules, oh aye and remember at the World Cup in Argentina, he officiated the Round 1 match between Brazil and Sweden , in which he infamously blew the whistle for full time during a play from a corner kick, thus disallowing the late goal Zico scored moments later, which would have given Brazil a 2-1 win.

BIG G
Thank you for the clear confirmation. That is a good read, with no little praise heaped on the Hibbies. Would you happen to remember the Hibs team that night, or indeed, the Leeds team, too? Perhaps other Bouncers could chip in?

Thank you for the clear confirmation. That is a good read, with no little praise heaped on the Hibbies. Would you happen to remember the Hibs team that night, or indeed, the Leeds team, too? Perhaps other Bouncers could chip in?

I remember most of Hibs team, but this Oz Leeds site I just Googled does chapter and verse and also a good read.

BIG G

I remember most of Hibs team, but this Oz Leeds site I just Googled does chapter and verse and also a good read.

BIG G
Another good read. Thank you again.

BIG G
Jeez near puked up on the memory as a kidder then #wotacuntthatwas

Another one of Revie's "Super Leeds" team gone.....Trevor Cherry dies aged 72.

Michael Robinson too

This thread has been viewed 1902 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back