• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Noisey F$#*ING Neighbours

Alot louder than the mic on my phone has picked up. A small sample of what I'm dealing with.
Obviously, it must be loud if you've posted it but with my laptop volume up to 100% I couldn't hear a thing.

Deaf old fucker.
:coffee1:

Obviously, it must be loud if you've posted it but with my laptop volume up to 100% I couldn't hear a thing.
Don't think it works very well on a PC strangely. Sent it to mates on WhatsApp and they could hear no problems. Might get a mic to plug into my phone.

Reactions: Dub
Kids be back in school on Monday?

That might help

So the council noise complaints handler has told me they need at least two pieces of evidence that noise is occurring from the address above me. But wait for it... and this is the most ridiculous part, none of which I am able to supply directly! You honestly couldn't make this up. So regardless of the countless audio and video recordings, one of which directly outside their home (you can hear noise in stair) it apparently is completely irrelevant. I can't even send anything on via email because the council block emails with attachments.

It's been referred on to the landlord registrations team (landlord might not be registered). Something I could have actually done myself had I been told this was the route to follow weeks ago. I think the noise complaints team are hoping something will happen here although they haven't actually come out and said it.

I have spoken to the landlord and the guy is a complete &%%##$. His response was they have children, I can't tell them again to make less noise. Totally shunned me telling to get his floor joists sorted as the floor squeaks like hell above me so he goes and puts wooden flooring in place to amplify the noise more.

I managed to speak to one of my neighbours who lives above the offending household that confirmed the noise is bad and they sympathise with me living below. They have offered their support in speaking to the council but I'm not sure if this will be enough.

I may try 101 again and just not mention kids running about. The problem is when the police actually arrive will they be able to hear/observe what is happening or will it miraculously have stopped... If an actual case is logged with the police the council are able to start to progress things.

Up to now I think the council have communicated the whole process of a noise complaint extremely poorly and when I started to question the timescales and what I'm supposed to do the handler becomes very rude and abrupt telling me they have to go as they have something else to do now. I wasn't rude at all, I asked them basic questions which should have been answered when they first contacted me.

I'm thinking about sending this to the Evening News to cover. I work 45+ hours a week and have a bunch of freeloaders above me who may not even be legally authorised to be living there as the landlord isn't registered.

I'm having real difficulties concentrating on my work. Finishing each day with a headache is fast becoming the norm as is constant tiredness. The schools are back next week but I fear I'm going to have 6 weeks of this come Summer which isn't that far away.

Have you tried getting your councillor/mp/Msp involved?

What’s the postcode?

(edit: I see they’re unregistered reading back through the thread)

Last edited:
Keep a diary of the timeline - it helps a lot to have evidence of what has happened when and what you’ve done

Keep a diary of the timeline - it helps a lot to have evidence of what has happened when and what you’ve done
Thanks I'll piece together a timeline with a summary of events to date. I didn't think about my local MP, that maybe a good shout. Thanks P&G.

I'm sure the original person from noise complaints I spoke with before I was assigned a case handler sent this on to landlord registrations to investigation (about 3-4 weeks ago). They've emailed again them again the past week and I've also contacted them but you get no form of acknowledgement.

Thanks I'll piece together a timeline with a summary of events to date. I didn't think about my local MP, that maybe a good shout. Thanks P&G.

I'm sure the original person from noise complaints I spoke with before I was assigned a case handler sent this on to landlord registrations to investigation (about 3-4 weeks ago). They've emailed again them again the past week and I've also contacted them but you get no form of acknowledgement.
Local councillor would be my first port of call.
They're more likely to have dealt with these situations previously and, they're more likely to visit when the racket is going on.

Phoned 101 2hrs ago and given an incident number. Person I spoke with was surprisingly much better than the ignorant tw@t I spoke with before. Encouraged me to phone every time the noise is happening. Seemed quite understanding and empathetic too. As you've probably guessed no sign of the police and the noise has now ceased. Possibly gone out. Not sure how long I waited for the police? How long do I waited before phoning again?

Have you tried threatening to knock the @@$@ out and take some crazy bassas with you? FFS either do that or put headphones on . The suggestions from folk above arenae worth a sook.

BIG

I'm wi' G on this. Dinnae go yersel but send some *&*^ up wi' a baseball bat

See first page. 🥊

Have you tried threatening to knock the @@$@ out and take some crazy bassas with you? FFS either do that or put headphones on . The suggestions from folk above arenae worth a sook.

BIG

I'm wi' G on this. Dinnae go yersel but send some *&*^ up wi' a baseball bat

See first page. 🥊
If I could get away with maybe a hard foam baseball bat 😂...

The police visited today and another incident number for the collection. As suspected as soon as they turn up it goes silent and then kicks off after they leave.

I explained to the officers quite clear, the issue is flooring and an out of control child where the parents don't actually actually do their job and tell it to behave in the house. Played them some recorded noise to demonstrate how ridiculous the situation is. They went up and discovered the floor is indeed as bad as I described it. Squeak squeak squeak. Apparently it's all uneven, the issue is also the joists as well which have probably not been changed since the 60's. The police kind of reluctantly took the landlords details for the offending flat but I doubt the guy will answer.

I think my next stop is my local MP. The Council are supposed to have contacted landlord registration on March 12th and last week about an unregistered landlord. Nothing seems to be happening. Secondly their noise team are doing absolutely nothing other than make me feel I'm making a fuss about nothing and it's living noise. I've just got to keep calling 101 each time now.

Changing joists isn't really a regular part of building maintenance.
I don't think the issue is flooring.

Just how fat are the kids?

Changing joists isn't really a regular part of building maintenance.
I don't think the issue is flooring.

Just how fat are the kids?
The Police officer described it as walking across a rusty trampoline. What the landlords gone and done is laid new lamented flooring over the top of it after being told there's something not right. If it's not the joists what can it be? It squeaked with the last guy in there too.

The fat kid actually isn't the problem. It's the one that's about 7 that runs everywhere aside from it has to go to school funnily enough. So I know it is capable of walking!

Really depends on the type of flooring. If it's 'floating flooring' for instance...... might need some boards replaced. Laminated flooring laid on top would make no difference (as you've discovered!)
I doubt it's something that would be cheap to fix, if it's really a physical building defect.
Since the problem only arose with the present occupants (if I recall correctly) I'd say the flooring isn't really the issue, it's the occupants.
Laminate flooring is frowned upon in many buildings with neighbours 'downstairs' because it basically turns the floor into a feckin drumskin.

It will be floorboards, no the joists. The joists are usually solid between up and down houses. Probs been rewired or the heating done and the lifting boards no put back down right.

Really depends on the type of flooring. If it's 'floating flooring' for instance.... might need some boards replaced. Laminated flooring laid on top would make no difference (as you've discovered!)
I doubt it's something that would be cheap to fix, if it's really a physical building defect.
Since the problem only arose with the present occupants (if I recall correctly) I'd say the flooring isn't really the issue, it's the occupants.
Laminate flooring is frowned upon in many buildings with neighbours 'downstairs' because it basically turns the floor into a feckin drumskin.
It's been an issue for a while but big difference between one person in the family and a family of five who never stay still.
It will be floorboards, no the joists. The joists are usually solid between up and down houses. Probs been rewired or the heating done and the lifting boards no put back down right.
I'm no expert but think you're probably right there. Just going on advice given from someone else perhaps not as clued up.

The way I see it is this really shouldn't be my issue. Does anyone think maybe gaining some legal advice in the matter would be worth while? Obviously you're obliged to make sure your home is in reasonable condition as part of your homeowner agreement as this clearly is not.

I feel your pain MSG, I really do , but maybe your over thinking it a tad.
Yes the floorboards ( not the joists) sound badly fitted, and installing laminate flooring above a flat is both poor practice, and very selfish. Until you can get the landlord , and the tennants to engage with you, then your options are limited.
Its absolutely not for you to be out of pocket, but all weighed up, maybe an offer from you to contribute to floor coverings may help? Also , trying to appeal to both parties better nature, explaining this is having a huge effect on the quality of your life, might, yes only might move things on a bit.
If you are not prepared to have moving out as an option, and being nice doesn’t work , then being the bad guy might be your only avenue left, but I do think that is the last option. An option none the less.

I feel your pain MSG, I really do , but maybe your over thinking it a tad.
Yes the floorboards ( not the joists) sound badly fitted, and installing laminate flooring above a flat is both poor practice, and very selfish. Until you can get the landlord , and the tennants to engage with you, then your options are limited.
Its absolutely not for you to be out of pocket, but all weighed up, maybe an offer from you to contribute to floor coverings may help? Also , trying to appeal to both parties better nature, explaining this is having a huge effect on the quality of your life, might, yes only might move things on a bit.
If you are not prepared to have moving out as an option, and being nice doesn’t work , then being the bad guy might be your only avenue left, but I do think that is the last option. An option none the less.
I think the neighbours above and their unregistered LL are taking th pi$$. If the shoe was on the other foot and I was creating this noise above a family they'd throw the book at me. The Council completely unhelpful and quite frankly awful to deal with.

The problem is the landlord will not engage with me. I can't speak to the tenants because they don't know English. They do know the wee Sh*t is making a noise though and they still allow it to happen. A total lack of respect for me and law in this country. This is not normal living noise.

Not sure how I'd go about selling up with the noise above. Most people would look to come in the evening or weekends for viewings. With the carry on above me who'd buy my home?

Right MSG, let’s get down to the nitty gritty!
Is the guy a big hardy looking bastard? What language do they speak? A nice note through the door , explaining you are going off your nut , and if it doesn’t stop, you will make moves to make it all official.
Fight fire with fire , get your tunes on . Then if you both want rid of each other , you could say “ I have viewings between 6 and 8, if you want rid of me , keep the noise down or even better,, go out”
The council quite simply can’t ignore unregistered landlords, and if they do , I would bring it up with your MP/MSP . You may find your MSP is keen to impress just now!
Tell your doctor you can’t sleep, you are massively depressed, you are going into a dark place. Lay it on thick( not that you need to!). When they are making a racket, phone 999 , tell them you think some domestic violence is going on.
You don’t want to become obsessed with it ( maybe to late) but it’s not going away on its own. It’s time to get nasty, while of course , keeping yourself on the right side of the law.
The authorities , can’t and won’t ignore you if keep at them.

Right MSG, let’s get down to the nitty gritty!
Is the guy a big hardy looking bastard? What language do they speak? A nice note through the door , explaining you are going off your nut , and if it doesn’t stop, you will make moves to make it all official.
Fight fire with fire , get your tunes on . Then if you both want rid of each other , you could say “ I have viewings between 6 and 8, if you want rid of me , keep the noise down or even better,, go out”
The council quite simply can’t ignore unregistered landlords, and if they do , I would bring it up with your MP/MSP . You may find your MSP is keen to impress just now!
Tell your doctor you can’t sleep, you are massively depressed, you are going into a dark place. Lay it on thick( not that you need to!). When they are making a racket, phone 999 , tell them you think some domestic violence is going on.
You don’t want to become obsessed with it ( maybe to late) but it’s not going away on its own. It’s time to get nasty, while of course , keeping yourself on the right side of the law.
The authorities , can’t and won’t ignore you if keep at them.
Get the speakers on stalks as close to the ceiling as possible @MSG_07 and fire on some Rage Against the Machine or similar at full volume starting around 1.00 in the morning and continuing until you've run out of music. Maybe go for a relaxing walk while the music is playing. Repeat until the cnut sees sense or try violence as advocated by @GORDONSMITH7

Maybe getting hold of an interpreter of Urdu?Hindi?Gudjuratti?Might be a help?

Repeat until the cnut sees sense or try violence as advocated by @GORDONSMITH7
Agree totally with the Big G violence suggestion.

Doorbell ringing at all hours is a suggestion until you get the chance to attack them physically. We’re too old for tap door run tho so I’d suggest just walking briskly back to your gaff and don’t lock yourself out FFS.

You may find your MSP is keen to impress just now!
I'm not sure MSPs will be able to do anything just now until after the election.

Agree totally with the Big G violence suggestion.
I would consider it self defence driven to distraction, to the point of considering house sale and effecting his wellbeing.

BIG G

The council have contacted me to close the noise complaint badically because I'm the only one reporting noise after the lettered the building they are now closing the complaint. Even though I have actual recordings of the noise. The landlord is apparently registered after all according to them but if they bury their head and the sand and don't respond to any contact that is all fine and they can just shun their responsibility.

I questioned the council stating I've reported an anti social noise issue to you and you've actually done nothing to resolve this. This is what your department deals with. Because I'm the primary victim here I have to live that it seems. She tried to argue kids running and banging on floors is normal living noise and my main gripe was with the flooring. It's actually both if she'd been listening.

Looks like I'm forced into seeking some legal advice on this.

That looks like your best course of action now.

BIG G

The council have contacted me to close the noise complaint badically because I'm the only one reporting noise after the lettered the building they are now closing the complaint. Even though I have actual recordings of the noise. The landlord is apparently registered after all according to them but if they bury their head and the sand and don't respond to any contact that is all fine and they can just shun their responsibility.

I questioned the council stating I've reported an anti social noise issue to you and you've actually done nothing to resolve this. This is what your department deals with. Because I'm the primary victim here I have to live that it seems. She tried to argue kids running and banging on floors is normal living noise and my main gripe was with the flooring. It's actually both if she'd been listening.

Brilliant response from the Jobsworth though. You're the only one reporting the noise.... er..... could that be because you're the only one living directly below the noisy family? But they wrote everyone else and asked if they had the same problem. Fcukin brilliant.

Don't go legal yet. Reply to them saying you're not satisfied with their response or that they are closing the case. Then ask for contact details of the Local Government Ombudsman, "because I intend to take this further", copy in your councillors. You could copy in your new MSPs after the election but as I don't think it's within their remit I think you'd be wasting their time and I could show to them your ignorance of the system using a scatter gun approach.

Brilliant response from the Jobsworth though. You're the only one reporting the noise.... er..... could that be because you're the only one living directly below the noisy family? But they wrote everyone else and asked if they had the same problem. Fcukin brilliant.
Gives an insight into how Edinburgh city council treat people. The council rep was again quite rude and abrupt and wouldn't listen to anything I had to say but I was expected to accept everything they said. If I want to complain about how this has been handled her boss is the original noise complaint contact. A so called team leader that isn't interested either.

I know for a fact Edinburgh city council and lesser councils have made efforts to resolve matters less severe than this.

Don't go legal yet. Reply to them saying you're not satisfied with their response or that they are closing the case. Then ask for contact details of the Local Government Ombudsman, "because I intend to take this further", copy in your councillors. You could copy in your new MSPs after the election but as I don't think it's within their remit I think you'd be wasting their time and I could show to them your ignorance of the system using a scatter gun approach.
Thanks Jack. I'll do that. I've never had to contend with issues like this before so all help and advice is appreciated from people that have replied.

Maybe getting hold of an interpreter of Urdu?Hindi?Gudjuratti?Might be a help?
I have no idea what languages they speak and how I'd go about arranging am interpreter? This should be something the council can do really if there is a noise dispute which this is. The police came back and told me it's two languages but they didn't know what. Also I think they know they are making noise and don't care. The only way they are going to stop is to be told firmly and the parties that should be doing more; the council, the police and the landlord are having nothing to do with it. This must be the new covid method of dealing with noise complaints. If one person moans it doesn't matter.

Try emailing paul.lawrence@edinburgh.gov.uk

and ask him if he’s happy with the quality of service he is providing to you.

I have no idea what languages they speak and how I'd go about arranging am interpreter? This should be something the council can do really if there is a noise dispute which this is. The police came back and told me it's two languages but they didn't know what. Also I think they know they are making noise and don't care. The only way they are going to stop is to be told firmly and the parties that should be doing more; the council, the police and the landlord are having nothing to do with it. This must be the new covid method of dealing with noise complaints. If one person moans it doesn't matter.
Yes, but any Asian interpreter would be able to tell within five seconds what someone spoke. If you want to speak to someone firmly it might be better if you spoke to them in a language they understand. If a council can produce documents in several different languages then It must employ staff who know these languages.

Yes, but any Asian interpreter would be able to tell within five seconds what someone spoke. If you want to speak to someone firmly it might be better if you spoke to them in a language they understand. If a council can produce documents in several different languages then It must employ staff who know these languages.
I doesn't really work like that.

The local authorities use agencies to print their documents for publication, these agencies arrange the translations. On a 1 to 1 basis theirs something like an agency but it's not really one. There's a bank of people who speak various languages it might even be the same folk who provide for the police, NHS etc. If I wanted to speak to someone in Urdu I'd arrange to have a call on loudspeaker with one of the Urdu speakers; I'd speak, they'd translate, get the answer and they'd translate that to English and so on.

An interesting piece of trivia as an example of the extent of this. When I worked with the NHS, NHS Highland, quite a low population, used the service for more than 40 different languages.

Sorry to hear about your woes MSG. How big is your flat? Might sound drastic but cant you fire up some industrial strength soundproofing between their floor and your ceiling? Would need to replace the ceiling plasterboard after sound wouldnt be that cheap, but it would be a fix. Hope it works out.

This thread has been viewed 12350 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back