Noisey F$#*ING Neighbours

SUPPORT THE SITE!
Sept Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £26.37

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
Really depends on the type of flooring. If it's 'floating flooring' for instance.... might need some boards replaced. Laminated flooring laid on top would make no difference (as you've discovered!)
I doubt it's something that would be cheap to fix, if it's really a physical building defect.
Since the problem only arose with the present occupants (if I recall correctly) I'd say the flooring isn't really the issue, it's the occupants.
Laminate flooring is frowned upon in many buildings with neighbours 'downstairs' because it basically turns the floor into a feckin drumskin.
It's been an issue for a while but big difference between one person in the family and a family of five who never stay still.
It will be floorboards, no the joists. The joists are usually solid between up and down houses. Probs been rewired or the heating done and the lifting boards no put back down right.
I'm no expert but think you're probably right there. Just going on advice given from someone else perhaps not as clued up.

The way I see it is this really shouldn't be my issue. Does anyone think maybe gaining some legal advice in the matter would be worth while? Obviously you're obliged to make sure your home is in reasonable condition as part of your homeowner agreement as this clearly is not.

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge
I feel your pain MSG, I really do , but maybe your over thinking it a tad.
Yes the floorboards ( not the joists) sound badly fitted, and installing laminate flooring above a flat is both poor practice, and very selfish. Until you can get the landlord , and the tennants to engage with you, then your options are limited.
Its absolutely not for you to be out of pocket, but all weighed up, maybe an offer from you to contribute to floor coverings may help? Also , trying to appeal to both parties better nature, explaining this is having a huge effect on the quality of your life, might, yes only might move things on a bit.
If you are not prepared to have moving out as an option, and being nice doesn’t work , then being the bad guy might be your only avenue left, but I do think that is the last option. An option none the less.

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
I feel your pain MSG, I really do , but maybe your over thinking it a tad.
Yes the floorboards ( not the joists) sound badly fitted, and installing laminate flooring above a flat is both poor practice, and very selfish. Until you can get the landlord , and the tennants to engage with you, then your options are limited.
Its absolutely not for you to be out of pocket, but all weighed up, maybe an offer from you to contribute to floor coverings may help? Also , trying to appeal to both parties better nature, explaining this is having a huge effect on the quality of your life, might, yes only might move things on a bit.
If you are not prepared to have moving out as an option, and being nice doesn’t work , then being the bad guy might be your only avenue left, but I do think that is the last option. An option none the less.
I think the neighbours above and their unregistered LL are taking th pi$$. If the shoe was on the other foot and I was creating this noise above a family they'd throw the book at me. The Council completely unhelpful and quite frankly awful to deal with.

The problem is the landlord will not engage with me. I can't speak to the tenants because they don't know English. They do know the wee Sh*t is making a noise though and they still allow it to happen. A total lack of respect for me and law in this country. This is not normal living noise.

Not sure how I'd go about selling up with the noise above. Most people would look to come in the evening or weekends for viewings. With the carry on above me who'd buy my home?

tayside hibee

Well-Known Radge
Right MSG, let’s get down to the nitty gritty!
Is the guy a big hardy looking bastard? What language do they speak? A nice note through the door , explaining you are going off your nut , and if it doesn’t stop, you will make moves to make it all official.
Fight fire with fire , get your tunes on . Then if you both want rid of each other , you could say “ I have viewings between 6 and 8, if you want rid of me , keep the noise down or even better,, go out”
The council quite simply can’t ignore unregistered landlords, and if they do , I would bring it up with your MP/MSP . You may find your MSP is keen to impress just now!
Tell your doctor you can’t sleep, you are massively depressed, you are going into a dark place. Lay it on thick( not that you need to!). When they are making a racket, phone 999 , tell them you think some domestic violence is going on.
You don’t want to become obsessed with it ( maybe to late) but it’s not going away on its own. It’s time to get nasty, while of course , keeping yourself on the right side of the law.
The authorities , can’t and won’t ignore you if keep at them.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Right MSG, let’s get down to the nitty gritty!
Is the guy a big hardy looking bastard? What language do they speak? A nice note through the door , explaining you are going off your nut , and if it doesn’t stop, you will make moves to make it all official.
Fight fire with fire , get your tunes on . Then if you both want rid of each other , you could say “ I have viewings between 6 and 8, if you want rid of me , keep the noise down or even better,, go out”
The council quite simply can’t ignore unregistered landlords, and if they do , I would bring it up with your MP/MSP . You may find your MSP is keen to impress just now!
Tell your doctor you can’t sleep, you are massively depressed, you are going into a dark place. Lay it on thick( not that you need to!). When they are making a racket, phone 999 , tell them you think some domestic violence is going on.
You don’t want to become obsessed with it ( maybe to late) but it’s not going away on its own. It’s time to get nasty, while of course , keeping yourself on the right side of the law.
The authorities , can’t and won’t ignore you if keep at them.
Get the speakers on stalks as close to the ceiling as possible @MSG_07 and fire on some Rage Against the Machine or similar at full volume starting around 1.00 in the morning and continuing until you've run out of music. Maybe go for a relaxing walk while the music is playing. Repeat until the cnut sees sense or try violence as advocated by @GORDONSMITH7

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
Repeat until the cnut sees sense or try violence as advocated by @GORDONSMITH7
Agree totally with the Big G violence suggestion.

Doorbell ringing at all hours is a suggestion until you get the chance to attack them physically. We’re too old for tap door run tho so I’d suggest just walking briskly back to your gaff and don’t lock yourself out FFS.

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
The council have contacted me to close the noise complaint badically because I'm the only one reporting noise after the lettered the building they are now closing the complaint. Even though I have actual recordings of the noise. The landlord is apparently registered after all according to them but if they bury their head and the sand and don't respond to any contact that is all fine and they can just shun their responsibility.

I questioned the council stating I've reported an anti social noise issue to you and you've actually done nothing to resolve this. This is what your department deals with. Because I'm the primary victim here I have to live that it seems. She tried to argue kids running and banging on floors is normal living noise and my main gripe was with the flooring. It's actually both if she'd been listening.

Looks like I'm forced into seeking some legal advice on this.

Doc Shrink

Retired Radge
The council have contacted me to close the noise complaint badically because I'm the only one reporting noise after the lettered the building they are now closing the complaint. Even though I have actual recordings of the noise. The landlord is apparently registered after all according to them but if they bury their head and the sand and don't respond to any contact that is all fine and they can just shun their responsibility.

I questioned the council stating I've reported an anti social noise issue to you and you've actually done nothing to resolve this. This is what your department deals with. Because I'm the primary victim here I have to live that it seems. She tried to argue kids running and banging on floors is normal living noise and my main gripe was with the flooring. It's actually both if she'd been listening.

Brilliant response from the Jobsworth though. You're the only one reporting the noise.... er..... could that be because you're the only one living directly below the noisy family? But they wrote everyone else and asked if they had the same problem. Fcukin brilliant.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge

Don't go legal yet. Reply to them saying you're not satisfied with their response or that they are closing the case. Then ask for contact details of the Local Government Ombudsman, "because I intend to take this further", copy in your councillors. You could copy in your new MSPs after the election but as I don't think it's within their remit I think you'd be wasting their time and I could show to them your ignorance of the system using a scatter gun approach.

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
Brilliant response from the Jobsworth though. You're the only one reporting the noise.... er..... could that be because you're the only one living directly below the noisy family? But they wrote everyone else and asked if they had the same problem. Fcukin brilliant.
Gives an insight into how Edinburgh city council treat people. The council rep was again quite rude and abrupt and wouldn't listen to anything I had to say but I was expected to accept everything they said. If I want to complain about how this has been handled her boss is the original noise complaint contact. A so called team leader that isn't interested either.

I know for a fact Edinburgh city council and lesser councils have made efforts to resolve matters less severe than this.

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
Don't go legal yet. Reply to them saying you're not satisfied with their response or that they are closing the case. Then ask for contact details of the Local Government Ombudsman, "because I intend to take this further", copy in your councillors. You could copy in your new MSPs after the election but as I don't think it's within their remit I think you'd be wasting their time and I could show to them your ignorance of the system using a scatter gun approach.
Thanks Jack. I'll do that. I've never had to contend with issues like this before so all help and advice is appreciated from people that have replied.

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
Maybe getting hold of an interpreter of Urdu?Hindi?Gudjuratti?Might be a help?
I have no idea what languages they speak and how I'd go about arranging am interpreter? This should be something the council can do really if there is a noise dispute which this is. The police came back and told me it's two languages but they didn't know what. Also I think they know they are making noise and don't care. The only way they are going to stop is to be told firmly and the parties that should be doing more; the council, the police and the landlord are having nothing to do with it. This must be the new covid method of dealing with noise complaints. If one person moans it doesn't matter.

moathibby

Legendary Radge
I have no idea what languages they speak and how I'd go about arranging am interpreter? This should be something the council can do really if there is a noise dispute which this is. The police came back and told me it's two languages but they didn't know what. Also I think they know they are making noise and don't care. The only way they are going to stop is to be told firmly and the parties that should be doing more; the council, the police and the landlord are having nothing to do with it. This must be the new covid method of dealing with noise complaints. If one person moans it doesn't matter.
Yes, but any Asian interpreter would be able to tell within five seconds what someone spoke. If you want to speak to someone firmly it might be better if you spoke to them in a language they understand. If a council can produce documents in several different languages then It must employ staff who know these languages.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Yes, but any Asian interpreter would be able to tell within five seconds what someone spoke. If you want to speak to someone firmly it might be better if you spoke to them in a language they understand. If a council can produce documents in several different languages then It must employ staff who know these languages.
I doesn't really work like that.

The local authorities use agencies to print their documents for publication, these agencies arrange the translations. On a 1 to 1 basis theirs something like an agency but it's not really one. There's a bank of people who speak various languages it might even be the same folk who provide for the police, NHS etc. If I wanted to speak to someone in Urdu I'd arrange to have a call on loudspeaker with one of the Urdu speakers; I'd speak, they'd translate, get the answer and they'd translate that to English and so on.

An interesting piece of trivia as an example of the extent of this. When I worked with the NHS, NHS Highland, quite a low population, used the service for more than 40 different languages.

BarcaHibs

New radge
Sorry to hear about your woes MSG. How big is your flat? Might sound drastic but cant you fire up some industrial strength soundproofing between their floor and your ceiling? Would need to replace the ceiling plasterboard after sound wouldnt be that cheap, but it would be a fix. Hope it works out.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here