• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Mixu, Latapy or O'Neil

Gav1990

Just A Radge
Reaction score
The full game of 6-2 was added to YouTube! So we look back at the Derby and reviewed the game.

Formations didn't seem as structured, allowing Hibs to play more fluid football. Were the players able to play this way because the game has changed, or just much better players?

Also in a more trivial dispute, who was Man Of The Match that day?

----------

Keep safe, and in this tough time if anyone ever needs a chat, DM/PM us on Twitter/Facebook/.Net/HibeesBounce. Always happy to chat Hibs, lack of Hibs, or just how the word is shite right now.

@HFCTalk

Continue reading...

LINKS

Apple|

Spotify|

YouTube|

It was a pretty organized 3-5-2 we played, Latapy was probably key offensively in that he was always probing, looking for an opening. We looked better before Tom Smith had his career ending injury IMHO - whilst Lovell offered more offensively we were never as balanced after that.

Sauzee was the rock upon which it all depended defensively which is probably why it all unravelled so quickly after his career ending (or not) injury.

In hindsight our forwards didnt score enough. Mixu had a great run of 9 goals in 11 home games and didnt score in his last 15 games that season. Dirk Lehman scored 2 goals in has last 27 games for Hibs (v Clyde in the cup). Zitelli scored 11 in 37 games, but 4 in the last 22 games.

Marc Libbra looked positive when he came in but only scored 5 goals in 14 games. Three of those against Celtic, strangely enough. Maybe he saved his A game.

I thought then, and even more so now, Tam McManus was criminally under used - a bench filler to meet the 2 under 21 criteria. He scored 5 goals in 20 games that season, but only started 4 as GJP became increasingly conservative as the season went on.

Would it have been different if Didier Agathe hadn't had his head turned? I think so.

It was a pretty organized 3-5-2 we played, Latapy was probably key offensively in that he was always probing, looking for an opening. We looked better before Tom Smith had his career ending injury IMHO - whilst Lovell offered more offensively we were never as balanced after that.

Sauzee was the rock upon which it all depended defensively which is probably why it all unravelled so quickly after his career ending (or not) injury.

In hindsight our forwards didnt score enough. Mixu had a great run of 9 goals in 11 home games and didnt score in his last 15 games that season. Dirk Lehman scored 2 goals in has last 27 games for Hibs (v Clyde in the cup). Zitelli scored 11 in 37 games, but 4 in the last 22 games.

Marc Libbra looked positive when he came in but only scored 5 goals in 14 games. Three of those against Smellies..., strangely enough. Maybe he saved his A game.

I thought then, and even more so now, Tam McManus was criminally under used - a bench filler to meet the 2 under 21 criteria. He scored 5 goals in 20 games that season, but only started 4 as GJP became increasingly conservative as the season went on.

Would it have been different if Didier Agathe hadn't had his head turned? I think so.

I must have been about 9 when I first seem Agathe play at Hibs. I remember thinking "I have never seen a man run that fast!"

Remember being excited at games just hoping someone would give him the ball so I could see him fly past defenders.

Then Celtic bought him and made him a RB. Very effective at that and was successful at Celtic, but always felt he was wasted in defence.

I watched it all the night before last. Random thoughts

- I'd forgotten how much we didn't click at the start, and for how long. In my memory we put it back on track quite quickly but in fact it took quite a while for us to really get going, despite our pretty obvious superiority on paper. As I get older I'm always interested in the difference between what I thought I saw and what happened. I (obviously) enjoyed watching it but was surprised by how different it was from the game I thought I'd filed in the memory banks.

- The standard felt really high. There are a couple of moves early on from Hearts that look like Celtic now. And our best stuff looks miles ahead of that level now. Is that nostalgia or fact or something in between?

- Stuart Lovell was indeed a player. So, to be fair, was Colin Cameron.

- The effort expended is huge, everyone's closing down all the time, but it's not quite the same as a tactical 'press' now. It's fast but kind of chaotic. Our best players really shine - Latapy and Sauzee particularly - because they're able to take a touch and send the onrushing opponent flying past. I wonder if that would be as easy nowadays.

- That we gradually asserted our dominance was especially enjoyable, somehow. They kept up with us for longer than I'd remembered, mainly on effort, but eventually class told. I recall that being a feature of that period, and the promotion season, us having to go to work unpicking teams and - satisfyingly - it working more often than not.

- Fuck the Hearts. GGTTH.

The Agathe thing is still a mystery to me that perhaps a bouncer with more knowledge can fill me in on. From memory we had for some reason signed him on a month by month contract? He played a brilliant game at which point there was talk of ‘maybe we should give him a proper deal’ he then played a couple more brilliant games at which point the talk was ‘we should have signed him on a proper contract because now he’s gonna sign for one of the uglies’

The Agathe thing is still a mystery to me that perhaps a bouncer with more knowledge can fill me in on. From memory we had for some reason signed him on a month by month contract? He played a brilliant game at which point there was talk of ‘maybe we should give him a proper deal’ he then played a couple more brilliant games at which point the talk was ‘we should have signed him on a proper contract because now he’s gonna sign for one of the uglies’
From memory, I think we signed him on a three-month contract

From memory, I think we signed him on a three-month contract
We did.
McLeish unfortunately did not want to take the risk of a longer deal for a guy from Raith Rovers. It was basically a trial period, but as luck would have it he was sensational in the games he played for us and Martin O'Neill quickly noticed it and duly offered him a deal at Celtic which he unsurprisingly accepted. We tried to persuade him to stay with a new extended deal, but it was way too late. Celtic played him at right wing-back.
He would have been a truly great Hibs striker I am convinced. He had everything, strength, pace, skill, flamboyance and finishing ability.
The one that got away..file along with Willie Pettigrew, John Robertson, Gordon Strachan etc..

Last edited:
We did.
McLeish unfortunately did not want to take the risk of a longer deal for a guy from Raith Rovers. It was basically a trial period, but as luck would have it he was sensational in the games he played for us and Martin O'Neill quickly noticed it and duly offered him a deal at Smellies... which he unsurprisingly accepted. we tried to persuade him to stay with anew extended deal, but it was way too late. Smellies... played him at right wing-back.
He would have been a truly great Hibs striker I am convinced. He had everything, strength, pace, skill, flamboyance and finishing ability.
The one that got away..file along with Willie Pettigrew, John Robertson, Gordon Strachan etc..

Only black mark for Agathe was his sitter on first day of season at Tynecastle - 0-0.

His performances against both Dundee clubs (double in both - his goal against Dundee everything GM described him as - strength, skill, speed) made him stand out as a bargain buy - fairly sure Celtìc had to pay a small nominal fee to secure his signature early before short contract ended to get him in ahead of European deadline.

Last edited:
£60k rings a bell, but I quite often have weird thoughts just popping up. Might mean nothing.

Use the small brush.

£60k rings a bell, but I quite often have weird thoughts just popping up. Might mean nothing.

Use the small brush.
I thought it was 50 grand, we'll probably be near the right answer.

This thread has been viewed 1688 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50