• Hi there, if you are wanting to register, you will need a registration code. To obtain said code please email hibs@hibeesbounce.com with a brief description of why you want to become part of the bounce. Please also supply us with your IP address Click here if you do not know your IP Thank You. GGTTH

Mens Maker Group starting in West Edinburgh

roorky

Bounce Radge
Mens Makers Group starting at WHALE Arts in Wester Hailes. Group starts on Wednesday the 19th June 1pm till 3pm at WHALE Arts 30 Westburn Grove. Free to anyone to attend. Will be concentrating on making things, learning new skills. Also a place for men to talk about their physical and mental health if they feel like it.

Initial 2 or 3 sessions will be woodwork, signmaking, maybe a bit carving and pyrography.
Open to suggestions after thay but we also have a ideas for different sessions.

roorky

Bounce Radge
In addition to this we also have the community garden 10 till 2 on a Monday and a Friday, anyone is welcome to attend these session and do as little or as much as they would like in the garden.

tricky

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Good luck with it mate, was speaking to guys from the men’s shed project in Leith recently seems to be popular

roorky

Bounce Radge
Good luck with it mate, was speaking to guys from the men’s shed project in Leith recently seems to be popular

Thanks. I spoke to the Mens Sheds people and we may join their asscociation in the future. Just now we are seeing what the attendance is like and what people actually want to be doing. It might even be that we take trips to other sheds or maker space around the city. We shall see.

BVilleggiante

Bounce Radge
Roorky, I don't live in Edinburgh so can't make the attendance but thought I'd throw something out there. I've always wanted to learn how to do a bit of welding and maybe that could be interesting to throw out to the group as well?

roorky

Bounce Radge
Roorky, I don't live in Edinburgh so can't make the attendance but thought I'd throw something out there. I've always wanted to learn how to do a bit of welding and maybe that could be interesting to throw out to the group as well?
The plan is to let the group develop as it goes with as little guidance as possible. So welding is very likely to be something that happens. Hoping to get this group going, see if we can get enough intrest and possibly become our own maker space type thing. I was along at The Forge at Fountainbridge today. It is a maker space in shipping containers, they have all sorts, woodwork container, metalwork/welding container and a forge area. There was people working away on their own projects, a couple of rafts mid build for a canal race and a couple of Oor Wullie type Carties. A really cool place.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Sounds good, Im off every 2nd Wednesday and interested in refurbishing and DIY

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
The plan is to let the group develop as it goes with as little guidance as possible. So welding is very likely to be something that happens. Hoping to get this group going, see if we can get enough intrest and possibly become our own maker space type thing. I was along at The Forge at Fountainbridge today. It is a maker space in shipping containers, they have all sorts, woodwork container, metalwork/welding container and a forge area. There was people working away on their own projects, a couple of rafts mid build for a canal race and a couple of Oor Wullie type Carties. A really cool place.
There's something similar beside the club house at porty golf course, not been passed in a while, but the concept looks very good..

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Just a squestion..is it a group that will be taught and tools supplied? Or mostly people turning up with their tools and doing their own projects?

roorky

Bounce Radge
Just a squestion..is it a group that will be taught and tools supplied? Or mostly people turning up with their tools and doing their own projects?
People are welcome to bring their own tools and projects although I plan to have a main group project I will be working on and anyone who would prefer working as a group can do that too. We will have wood and plans and tools although its not a huge list of tools we currently have. There is funding there for more tools and materials, possibly paid instructors, we can also borrow tools from Edinburgh Tool Library for the sessions. Although we are starting out with woodwork it was just something we chose as I have been making planters and raised beds both at my house and in the WHALE garden, we are happy to see what people want to make. If people are into electronics or metalwork then we want them to speak up and if it can be done we will do it. There is also the option to do general maintenance tasks in and around the WHALE Arts building and one of the possible attendees has expressed a keen intrest in that.

roorky

Bounce Radge
Here is part of the email that got sent to various proffesionals at the relevant local agencys so their clients can be directed to the group...

"The group is very informal, we will co-create it as we go along, and we're beginning with making sessions working with wood and tools, with lots of other ideas in the pipeline. The group is open to suggestions from all members on activities. They are also planning on taking trips, to The Forge in Tollcross for eg, and again open to suggestions regarding that.

The group is loosely based on the Men's Shed idea but we're currently not seeking to be a formal member of that network right now. The idea is to build membership and take it from there. As with the Men's Shed (let me know if I've got this right Kev) the group is open to people talking about mental and physical health issues they may have but it's not therapy led. It's based on friendship, banter and craft/making activities that are led by the member's interests.

We don't have a flyer yet. Part of the opening sessions will be about deciding on the group's identity and designing a flyer together, so as soon as the group has one I will send it to you. "

roorky

Bounce Radge
We are also looking for donations of old tools, wood or other makers materials. Maybe you are clearing out Grandads shed and you need rid of his tools. We work alongiside Edinburgh tool library and have started speaking to The Forge maker space so if the tools are no good for us we will find domeone who can use them.

In regards to wood donations. I personally love offcuts of decking 1ft long at the shortest so they can still be worked with and they are already treated for outdoor planters but we are open to any spare materials.

roorky

Bounce Radge
This starts today at 1pm. Plan is for introductions, a discussion what people want from the group, then I have some wood to shape, sand and transfer pictures onto as it seems pretty easy and not too time consuming.

Ta kev

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors