• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Lewis

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Lewis Stevenson has a calf injury and will miss pre-season.

According tae Twitter

Yeah, we were at the press conference and Hecky mentioned it to us and went into more details with the papers. He's relaxed about it with Mackie, James (new boy) can play there, Whittaker too and Newell has played wing back in the past.

- Gav

So the next time Hibs are signing a player and people start going on about "Where is he going to play ?" and "Who is going to leaving to make room for him ?".....well this is the reason we sign players who can cover and are versatile. It is all about the squad. Hecky will very rarely, if at all, be able to select his first choice team next season. The success of our season will very much depend on the depth and quality of the squad we are able to put together because like every other club we are going to get injuries on an almost weekly basis..such is the nature of the game.

Ironically we don't really have proper cover for Stevenson. I think Sean Mackie is a superb young left-sided attacking player, but a defender he is not. Great going forward, skilful and unlike many others he can cross a great ball. I think his weakness is the defensive side of his game.

Hopefully Lewis gets fit soon...it really is not ideal to be missing the whole of the pre-season.

Last edited:
So the next time Hibs are signing a player and people start going on about "Where is he going to play ?" and "Who is going to leaving to make room for him ?".....well this is the reason we sign players who can cover and are versatile. It is all about the squad. Hecky will very rarely, if at all, be able to select his first choice team next season. The success of our season will very much depend on the depth and quality of the squad we are able to put together because like every other club we are going to get injuries on an almost weekly basis..such is the nature of the game.

Ironically we don't really have proper cover for Stevenson. I think Sean Mackie is a superb young left-sided attacking player, but a defender he is not. Great going forward, skilful and unlike many others he can cross a great ball. I think his weakness is the defensive side of his game.

Hopefully Lewis gets fit soon...it really is not ideal to be missing the whole of the pre-season.

But Steven Whittaker ?

But Steven Whittaker ?
great player in his day..but another one who can't defend.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Mackie. To the extent I would say the laddie is not a fullback.
To quote the veritable Sir Shrink: "Opinions, eh?"

great player in his day..but another one who can't defend.
I agree with your assessment. (I refer my learned friend to my previous statement.) However, I would also refer everyone to the game at St Mirren's ground the last time we played there, wherein we turned our season around. As we all know, we were pretty poor in the first half but, to his credit, Whittaker decided to make me eat my words because I was calling for him to be replaced at half-time and he played probably the best half he's had for a long, long time; in short, he was very good indeed. And I didn't think I would ever have had occasion to say that.

I agree with your assessment. (I refer my learned friend to my previous statement.) However, I would also refer everyone to the game at St Mirren's ground the last time we played there, wherein we turned our season around. As we all know, we were pretty poor in the first half but, to his credit, Whittaker decided to make me eat my words because I was calling for him to be replaced at half-time and he played probably the best half he's had for a long, long time; in short, he was very good indeed. And I didn't think I would ever have had occasion to say that.

He was good in that 2nd half eh? Also in the build-up to Slivka’s goal v Celtic. That plus his goal probably amounts to SW’s “best bits” since rejoining us

He was good in that 2nd half eh? Also in the build-up to Slivka’s goal v Celtic. That plus his goal probably amounts to SW’s “best bits” since rejoining us
Also our best player in the New Year derby... not that that's saying much..

But Steven Whittaker ?
[/QUOTE}

Shouldn't have brought him back to be honest, should be freeing up his wage to bring in someone else.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Mackie. To the extent I would say the laddie is not a fullback.
To quote the veritable Sir Shrink: "Opinions, eh?"

I think he’s got the making of an excellent midfielder rather than a full back.

Opportunity for James and Mackie. Big chance to push oot a mainstay.

Whittaker will find himself in the back-up midfield holding role this season I think - which is right and fair - His reading of the game and first touch is very good, he’s no a pushover either.

Opportunity for James and Mackie. Big chance to push oot a mainstay.

Whittaker will find himself in the back-up midfield holding role this season I think - which is right and fair - His reading of the game and first touch is very good, he’s no a pushover either.

Nae chance. As much as Lewis being injured is as earth shattering as that time David Murphy's first touch let him down, Smackie or Tam Jim will need to look elsewhere for a place once Lewis' calf heals up.

Nae chance. As much as Lewis being injured is as earth shattering as that time David Murphy's first touch let him down, Smackie or Tam Jim will need to look elsewhere for a place once Lewis' calf heals up.

Yer probably right but naebody better tell Sean or Tam that.
Wonder if Lewis could make that return to midfield in future years. Vintage 2007-08.

Yer probably right but naebody better tell Sean or Tam that.
Wonder if Lewis could make that return to midfield in future years. Vintage 2007-08.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking that. Could he fill the void left by Bartley / Miligan?

I'd hate for Lewis to make another positional change.
Hes worked so hard to make himself a solid and dependable fullback.
He said so himself the reason he thinks he never got to progress enough was because of never nailing down a position.

Id rather we recruited than start moving players about.

This thread has been viewed 1698 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back