• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

Leith Walk tram line extension blocked by the SNP

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
It does but there's no chance it's going through Stockbridge or up Orchard Brae,the Roseburn path takes you near the back entrance but there's no danger you'd consider using it to get to the Hospital.
Along Raeburn place and up up Kerr Street, they could knock down all the buildings on the left hand side to make the road wider.:077::rascal:

Sunshine on Leith

Tram from infirmary to western general makes the most sense
You can only be in one hospital at a time - what's your rational thinking behind this Mark?

StevieC

Toon Army Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Hold on are you seriously telling me that these proposed job losses could not have been avoided if the Edinburgh Council had been allowed to collect the missing £190,000,000 which Council Tax freezing has resulted in. A populist action with grave consequences for Councils, without trams, throughout Scotland and will be looked back on as an utter folly in future
It seems to me that you are saying that 5 million Scots should be forced to chip in extra money, some that can ill afford it, to save the jobs of 2,000 Edinburgh council workers that are facing unemployment because of a Labour administration fuck up?
Still can't see how you can be painting the SNP as the bad guys in this.

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
It does but there's no chance it's going through Stockbridge or up Orchard Brae,the Roseburn path takes you near the back entrance but there's no danger you'd consider using it to get to the Hospital.
True. It could come from the north though? Along the coast ( as planned!) then up Crewe Rd N or Granton Access Rd(?). Use existing track at the other end to run it via Kinnaird Park, the back Niddrie/Greendykes to the Infirmary. A wee bit of foresight from the council ( along with private investment, which would be needed) could even continue the track thru Moredun/Gracemount/sighthill to meet the gyle, possibly even continue it to Queensferry Road to meet the other end at the Western. A kinda 21st #12 , the ultimate circle bus route.

Btw I'd also sell the Western General, which is certainly not fit for purpose ( except the staff, who are simply tremendous) and build social housing/business park- then build a lovely new Western at the Gyle or even the land behind the Morrisons on Granton Rd.

You can only be in one hospital at a time - what's your rational thinking behind this Mark?
Not sure about rational Bomber, but over the last 2/3 years I've spent many many hours trudging the corridors in both hospitals- the Western in particular. There's many a time when treatments/people/beds/facilities are available at one site when you're at the other.There's already a bus service between the two that takes as long as you imagine it does, and if you're unwell ( but not unwell enough for an ambulance) and don't have private transportation, or if you're old and pretty weak, getting between the two is arduous.

Plus, both are sited in heavily populated areas- round the infirmary is going to get even moreso- so connect two hospitals, run it thru heavily populated areas and show some forward thinking.

Sunshine on Leith

True. It could come from the north though? Along the coast ( as planned!) then up Crewe Rd N or Granton Access Rd(?). Use existing track at the other end to run it via Kinnaird Park, the back Niddrie/Greendykes to the Infirmary. A wee bit of foresight from the council ( along with private investment, which would be needed) could even continue the track thru Moredun/Gracemount/sighthill to meet the gyle, possibly even continue it to Queensferry Road to meet the other end at the Western. A kinda 21st #12 , the ultimate circle bus route.

Btw I'd also sell the Western General, which is certainly not fit for purpose ( except the staff, who are simply tremendous) and build social housing/business park- then build a lovely new Western at the Gyle or even the land behind the Morrisons on Granton Rd.

Not sure about rational Bomber, but over the last 2/3 years I've spent many many hours trudging the corridors in both hospitals- the Western in particular. There's many a time when treatments/people/beds/facilities are available at one site when you're at the other.There's already a bus service between the two that takes as long as you imagine it does, and if you're unwell ( but not unwell enough for an ambulance) and don't have private transportation, or if you're old and pretty weak, getting between the two is arduous.

Plus, both are sited in heavily populated areas- round the infirmary is going to get even moreso- so connect two hospitals, run it thru heavily populated areas and show some forward thinking.
I don't think you could justify spending more millions on a tram line for that reason alone and of course the line would have to be connected to the existing line.

Perhaps a direct bus service with limited stops would be a better alternative. Ie the same distance as the trams stop.

EDIT: I don't think the council should justify spending anymore money on the trams anywhere. Edinburgh has a fantastic bus service even more so if you consider the amount of buses that already service the length of Leith walk - if that's where the next proposal was to be.

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
I don't think you could justify spending more millions on a tram line for that reason alone and of course the line would have to be connected to the existing line.

Perhaps a direct bus service with limited stops would be a better alternative. Ie the same distance as the trams stop.
It's not that reason alone though? It would run thru populated areas- the south of Edinburgh in particular thru areas of lower incomes who would benefit, plus the areas around the current hospitals are only only to get more heavily populated thru time.

I'd also repeat the electrifying of the suburban line to tie (lol) in with the tram would make more sense than anything, which is a reason why it'll never happen.

Hattie

Donator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Tram from infirmary to western general makes the most sense
Definitely, bout time the council puts the needs of the city residents before developers and tourists

The__Proclaimer

LEGEND!!
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
I was a supporter of the tram idea but disgusted as anyone at how it turned out. Now we've started we have to really go for it tho. Can't shout 'foodbanks' to halt progress all the time. I bet there were Londoners appalled at their streets getting tore up and obscene amounts of money being spent while there was slums, starving children, workhouses, slave labour and appalling health conditions - but the city would be chaos and cease to function if we closed the underground today.

Think Scottish/UK govt and council should show a bit of ambition on this one.

Beagle

Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
See while we're on the subject of the trams and their lines, why did the powers-that-be spend (and continue to spend) millions(billions?) on this white elephant to get tourists from the airport to the city centre?

There is a main rail line that borders the airport perimeter. All it would have taken was a fraction of the cost to put a spur line directly into the airport terminal like a lot of other airports do. I can cite Munich and Geneva as examples.

As a passenger/visitor, you get off a plane, get through the security and baggage reclaim and head to the rail platform either outside the terminal, or in the case of Geneva, take an escalator down to the platforms underneath the terminal itself. Heathrow, Stanstead and Gatwick are all similar, so why not Edinburgh? In fact why not Glasgow as well instead of having to negotiate motorway traffic?
It is fuckin bonkers and typical of the mentality of this shambles of a country.

Sunshine on Leith

I was a supporter of the tram idea but disgusted as anyone at how it turned out. Now we've started we have to really go for it tho. Can't shout 'foodbanks' to halt progress all the time. I bet there were Londoners appalled at their streets getting tore up and obscene amounts of money being spent while there was slums, starving children, workhouses, slave labour and appalling health conditions - but the city would be chaos and cease to function if we closed the underground today.

Totally agree with the underground and London. I'll tell you what though, Edinburgh would not cease to function without added tram lines or for that matter the trams that are already in existence.

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator

I suppose you could suggest that investing in the infrastructure of the city can stimulate growth in areas that otherwise might not benefit. Having a tram line running thru Pilton or Greendykes might encourage a company to build a factory in those areas, or allow folk in those areas easier access to the job farms like The Gyle easier?

But the only way these things are getting built is if we put our hands in our pockets and pay more taxes. So you'll hear folk moaning about higher taxes and you'll hear folk moaning about lack of infrastructure. Cannae win.

The problems for Edinburgh is the city is so old we don't know what we'll find when we dig down, and we cannae go deep enough for an underground cos the rock is too hard.

And there's too many buses on the roads now, especially during the day. Leith Walk is effectively one long bus, we need to take the strain off the roads/buses.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Gunts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
See while we're on the subject of the trams and their lines, why did the powers-that-be spend (and continue to spend) millions(billions?) on this white elephant to get tourists from the airport to the city centre?

There is a main rail line that borders the airport perimeter. All it would have taken was a fraction of the cost to put a spur line directly into the airport terminal like a lot of other airports do. I can cite Munich and Geneva as examples.

As a passenger/visitor, you get off a plane, get through the security and baggage reclaim and head to the rail platform either outside the terminal, or in the case of Geneva, take an escalator down to the platforms underneath the terminal itself. Heathrow, Stanstead and Gatwick are all similar, so why not Edinburgh? In fact why not Glasgow as well instead of having to negotiate motorway traffic?
It is fuckin bonkers and typical of the mentality of this shambles of a country.
Spot on totally bonkers. After the game against the Arabs I was on the first flight next day heading to the Netherlands for Groningen's Europa Cup match that day. Many on here have done that particular journey. What a fuckin delight to to arrive at Schippol, walk to the escalators down to the platforms and within 10 minutes on a train speeding the two hour journey to Tractorland.

It has always puzzled me that folk throughout Scotland who wish to use Edinburgh or Glasgow Airports cannae get a train to them.

BIG G

Chester Perry

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge

It is $#@!in bonkers and typical of the mentality of this shambles of a country.
Add Aberdeen airport to that list. Train station right beside it, but at wrong side of the runway. :banger:

The__Proclaimer

LEGEND!!
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Totally agree with the underground and London. I'll tell you what though, Edinburgh would not cease to function without added tram lines or for that matter the trams that are already in existence.
Definitely. I was meaning 50+ years time. In the few years I've been living down this way the 19 bus service has went from quiet to creaking at the seams. Strada, New scheme at Ainslie Park, New scheme at old Telford, New scheme getting built at old Spartans, tourists at the Pilton Hilton, retirement village getting built on Boswall road. That's just past 5 years nevermind 50.

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
It has always puzzled me that folk throughout Scotland who wish to use Edinburgh or Glasgow Airports cannae get a train to them.

BIG G
If you think about it, Scotland has too many airports. A wee bit of forward thinking would have built a 3/4 runway airport in the central belt with a superfast trainline between Edinburgh/Glasgow/Aberdeen running thru the middle. A hub for travel and cargo to rival Gatwick.

GORDONSMITH7

**** The Gunts
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
If you think about it, Scotland has too many airports. A wee bit of forward thinking would have built a 3/4 runway airport in the central belt with a superfast trainline between Edinburgh/Glasgow/Aberdeen running thru the middle. A hub for travel and cargo to rival Gatwick.
If nothing else this thread has convinced me M, not that I needed much convincing, that there is not a chance of seeing an integrated transport system in Edinburgh, never mind Scotland, in my lifetime.

BIG G

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
If nothing else this thread has convinced me M, not that I needed much convincing, that there is not a chance of seeing an integrated transport system in Edinburgh, never mind Scotland, in my lifetime.

BIG G
Possibly, but us young guns might :banana:

Anyway, i've just watched the vid in your sig...belter sir :applause:

Sunshine on Leith

Definitely. I was meaning 50+ years time. In the few years I've been living down this way the 19 bus service has went from quiet to creaking at the seams. Strada, New scheme at Ainslie Park, New scheme at old Telford, New scheme getting built at old Spartans, tourists at the Pilton Hilton, retirement village getting built on Boswall road. That's just past 5 years nevermind 50.
As a regular user of the 19 and 47 heading up town - getting on at the TSB bank i have never seen anyone standing on any of those routes. (not even close) Both bus routes run every 15 minutes and service from where i get on to the West End where there's always a huge exodus of passengers.

Funny enough though, doing the same bus journey from memory in the 70's & early 80's were always rammed. I remember if you were waiting for a bus when Parson's Peebles came out, you would usually have to wait on the next one. also back in the early 70's growing up in Royston and still do there were hardly any cars on the road hence the huge demand for the bus.

Even back in the 30's, 40's and 50's when the trams in Edinburgh where at their most popular, there was never a tram line on said route, not sure as to why there would be enough demand for one now.

The__Proclaimer

LEGEND!!
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
As a regular user of the 19 and 47 heading up town - getting on at the TSB bank i have never seen anyone standing on any of those routes. (not even close) Both bus routes run every 15 minutes and service from where i get on to the West End where there's always a huge exodus of passengers.

Funny enough though, doing the same bus journey from memory in the 70's & early 80's were always rammed. I remember if you were waiting for a bus when Parson's Peebles came out, you would usually have to wait on the next one. also back in the early 70's growing up in Royston and still do there were hardly any cars on the road hence the huge demand for the bus.

Even back in the 30's, 40's and 50's when the trams in Edinburgh where at their most popular, there was never a tram line on said route, not sure as to why there would be enough demand for one now.
You've not seen anyone standing on a Sunday when it's single decker every 30mins? I've not been on it when it hasn't been rammed at that time or at peak travel time for office workers. (Ironically sending this message from a 19 now and it's admittedly quiet off-peak).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the benefit to wheelchair users and buggies that the trams have. We've an increasingly aging but independent population and disabled people who are very involved in the community - 1/2 spaces on a bus plus demand from prams isn't fit for purpose. Even tho Edinburgh bus service is the best in the UK I would be reluctant to take my baby anywhere today - stood at too many stops in the rain with three buses going past that I can't get on. Least I can walk home wet if need be not everyone has that option.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
You've not seen anyone standing on a Sunday when it's single decker every 30mins? I've not been on it when it hasn't been rammed at that time or at peak travel time for office workers. (Ironically sending this message from a 19 now and it's admittedly quiet off-peak).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the benefit to wheelchair users and buggies that the trams have. We've an increasingly aging but independent population and disabled people who are very involved in the community - 1/2 spaces on a bus plus demand from prams isn't fit for purpose. Even tho Edinburgh bus service is the best in the UK I would be reluctant to take my baby anywhere today - stood at too many stops in the rain with three buses going past that I can't get on. Least I can walk home wet if need be not everyone has that option.
I'd agree with that although I use neither of these two. The newer buses have at least a bit more room on them but could do with more space for disabled folk and prams. As an aside, I was on a bus going to work back when I did that and a person in a wheelchair got on the bus. The bloke sitting in the spot for a wheelchair [seat flips up] didn't bother to move. I was standing nearby and mentioned to him that he was being an ignorant **** and he got up and gave the lassie the space. Fukking disgrace which thankfully only happens on rare occassions.

Hibs v Ross County

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel