• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Is Jack Ross The Manager To Lead Hibs Forward?

Is Jack Ross The Manager To Lead Hibs Forward?

• Yes

Votes: 45 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 57 47.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 18 15.0%

• Total voters

MSG_07

Legendary Radge
Reaction score
What's everyones thoughts here? Our league form has been horrendous, we desperately need a run of decent results. At the moment that's difficult to see with the teams we're due to play. Without being too melodramatic our league season could effectively be over next month in terms of achieving a high finish. The players should be refreshed and raring to go having had an extended break so playing an intensive cup game days ago I don't accept as an excuse.

The cup win against the Sevco zombies is great don't get me wrong but it doesn't show Jack Ross or the team have turned the corner IMO. Anyway let's put it to a vote!

The obvious thing to state here is the next manager will probably be worse.

I also think the Americans will make a complete arse of their first managerial appointment.

Yes, Jack Ross is the man to take Hibs forward.
However he will be out of a job soon if we carry on losing matches...and he knows it.
He was badly let down in the summer, and I would argue the last three transfer windows have been poor.
We were just not prepared or equipped properly for this season, it's as simple as that.
Add to that the Covid outbreak which they are trying to put a brave face on publicly, but it will also take it's toll.
Ross just needs to keep our heads above water this season, and hopefully start a proper re-build next summer.
That means winning matches. If we don't do that soon then he will be out the door.

Last edited:
The obvious thing to state here is the next manager will probably be worse.

I also think the Americans will make a complete arse of their first managerial appointment.
Kensell will be the main person selecting the next manager when the time comes, hopefully a long way off yet.
Ross has improved us in the last two years, as I mentioned in an earlier post on another thread.
However he knows better than anyone his job depends on results.

Last edited:
Undecided leaning to yes.

Cup semi aside our current run has been torture, but there are absolutely mitigating circumstances that need to be taken into account - bad recruitment, injuries, suspensions, COVID... Sometimes your lucks not there.

I certainly don't think Ross should be binned, even if the latest suspensions lead to a six and seventh defeat. It would be akin to when we canned Yogi after the miserable start he had in his second season after a similarly poor summer window and bad luck with injuries. Ross deserves the January window at least.

This season could go a few ways still, I don't see relegation being one of them though.

What's everyones thoughts here? Our league form has been horrendous, we desperately need a run of decent results. At the moment that's difficult to see with the teams we're due to play. Without being too melodramatic our league season could effectively be over next month in terms of achieving a high finish. The players should be refreshed and raring to go having had an extended break so playing an intensive cup game days ago I don't accept as an excuse.

The cup win against the Sevco zombies is great don't get me wrong but it doesn't show Jack Ross or the team have turned the corner IMO. Anyway let's put it to a vote!
For me no. He has no plan b when we concede first . He doesn’t make subs quick enough and when he does the game is usually gone. For the spl standards we have a decent squad and should be doing much better. The semi final win papered over the cracks. The style of football is terrible and now we are not winning games so it’s just not acceptable. We also have obviously not worked on crosses as we continue to lose goals from crosses!

Yup, no doubt about it.

Very poor transfer windows. Mathie has paid for that.
The ‘No plan B’ is clearly rubbish as he often changes shape and tactics during games. Whether they work is another matter, but it’s an internet ‘fact’ he has no alternative plans. Just total rubbish.
In my opinion of course.
He had panic buys to supplement a very small pool, which was hit with injuries.
Now is not the time to change the boss.

If we don't make top 6 then he has to go.A lot of football to be played yet.

I we were to win a cup then he will get another season.

I’d have to say no. We can put in a performance like Sunday, but not very often. Five defeats in a row for us in the league is a shambles. Unless we get our act together, top four will be gone very soon.

That was a team on 6 points and bottom of the league before today.

Awful.

Small squad depleted by injuries. During our many bad games this year we've had full backs not stopping crosses, central defenders losing their man, midfielders passing sideways or backwards, huge aimless punts upfield as Cliff Pike says "an inch perfect pass to no one in particular", wingers unable to beat the first man with crosses or punting them miles too hard, forwards misfiring regularly.
Then we have the first Ross County game, the Dundee United QF, the Huns semi, games where we show just how well these same players can play. It's Hibs isn't it? Or is JR not able to instill the belief in the team. I'd hope he gets the full season and the next after 2 transfer windows to show his abilities as a manager with a bigger squad. It will be apparent then if he's the man for the job or not.

Yes he is. We need to get through this period and I fear for us the next few games. This is IMO all a consequence of a shambolic window and the injury to Christian Doidge and Kevin Nisbet becoming a non goalscoring forward

Yes he is. We need to get through this period and I fear for us the next few games. This is IMO all a consequence of a shambolic window and the injury to Christian Doidge and Kevin Nisbet becoming a non goalscoring forward
I’d throw Kyle mcgennis injury intae that mix. We were doing ok up until his injury. Miss his drive in midfield.

I’d throw Kyle mcgennis injury intae that mix. We were doing ok up until his injury. Miss his drive in midfield.
I'd throw his actual signing into the mix. We can't afford to have players signed that are continuously unfit like him and Murphy.

I'd throw his actual signing into the mix. We can't afford to have players signed that are continuously unfit like him and Murphy.
True, I dinnae ken if he was injury prone at StM or not but he’s certainly living up tae the Hibs ‘sign and get injured’ mantra. But he was getting up tae speed and we defo miss him.

Undecided leaning to yes.

Cup semi aside our current run has been torture, but there are absolutely mitigating circumstances that need to be taken into account - bad recruitment, injuries, suspensions, COVID... Sometimes your lucks not there.

I certainly don't think Ross should be binned, even if the latest suspensions lead to a six and seventh defeat. It would be akin to when we canned Yogi after the miserable start he had in his second season after a similarly poor summer window and bad luck with injuries. Ross deserves the January window at least.

This season could go a few ways still, I don't see relegation being one of them though.
Speaking of yogi , 2 from 2 from a team who were bottom when he took over

Was Murphy a Ross signing?

Spectacular bit of business that.

Voted yes but he desperately needs a win, as if he goes on a 7-8 game losing streak in the league that’ll be it and rightly so. If he can pick up a win or 2 before Xmas to keep us out of trouble we can bring the reinforcements in in January 🤞🏻

Was Wood? Scott?

Was Wood? Scott?
I wonder how our recruitment team actually work now since GM left.

I wonder how our recruitment team actually work now since GM left.
Agents will be putting players to Steve Kean now he's part of the process....

Another ‘sign and get injured’ player.

Is Ryan back on saturday ?

It depends

5 league losses in a row

We desperately need a result on Saturday

If that turns into 6…7..8 losses in a row which is entirely possible then no manager is surviving that

We’ve been here before

Looking at the poll it's quite surprising to see the level of faith fans still have in Jack Ross. Comparing form with other teams in the league, we are the only team to have lost 5 on the bounce which is grim reading.

As well as the poor results the performances have been just as bad for a while even when key players were fit. Usually when a manager loses several league games in succession they very seldom recover. I can't see many positive signs. The cup win isn't a measure of that IMO.

Happy to eat my words if he starts getting results but he isn't getting the best out of players.

Abstaining on this one. For the moment. Let's see what new year brings us and how we did during this mental run of games. We all know we can't afford another Terry Butcher scenario where we sat thinking he'd turn things around.

If you read the following you can't help but take notice at the similarities.

I'm undecided

Looking at the poll it's quite surprising to see the level of faith fans still have in Jack Ross. Comparing form with other teams in the league, we are the only team to have lost 5 on the bounce which is grim reading.

As well as the poor results the performances have been just as bad for a while even when key players were fit. Usually when a manager loses several league games in succession they very seldom recover. I can't see many positive signs. The cup win isn't a measure of that IMO.

Happy to eat my words if he starts getting results but he isn't getting the best out of players.
Cup semi cup semi cup final cup final

That’s a great record, and third in the league on top of that. It would be daft to rip it on the basis of the last month, but there are alarm bells sounding.

The club was careful to put in place a set up in the past that gave departments autonomy, and continuity if one individual changed. We’ve ripped that up and gone for a different approach, and I can only see it ending one way, badly. There’s an awful lot being built up around an individual, I think that’s naive from the Americans.

One of my questions about JR , is his continuation with macey who is still questionable IMO , and I’m not alone in this . Dabrowski signed an extension to the summer of 2023 , was that to have him sitting on the bench regardless of the form of Macey 🤷‍♂️ There are a few others in a similar position who he seems to stick with regardless 🤔
I realise the squad is weak but nevertheless ?

I'm undecided
Me too🤷‍♂️

I m a tad confused. Surely it’s the manager who final say on transfers. Is Mathie being made scapegoa?

One of my questions about JR , is his continuation with macey who is still questionable IMO , and I’m not alone in this . Dabrowski signed an extension to the summer of 2023 , was that to have him sitting on the bench regardless of the form of Macey 🤷‍♂️ There are a few others in a similar position who he seems to stick with regardless 🤔
I realise the squad is weak but nevertheless ?
The squad is weak but

Dabrowski never gets a game
Campbell never got a game until all was lost against Celtic
Gullan gets so little time, he’d have been as well giving Josh O Connor the first team experience

There’s a narrative being pushed around recruitment, the academy, and I just don’t buy it.

It’s not as simple as saying should the manager be sacked. That might be the first part of the question, but the second part is who would replace him.

On the first part of the question, no I don’t think he should go. The time to assess will be after the derby: by then we’ll have played half a season and know where we’re sitting in the table, and may or may not have a trophy in the cabinet. That should determine any decision on the future of the manager, as should what he’s already achieved at the club and the disaster our transfer window in the summer.

The next part is also very important: who’s out there that could do a better a job. A usual suspect like Derek McInnes? Another Hecky style random English league manager? An ex Hibs player? Or just give it to Eddie May for the rest of the season? We cannot afford to get a mid-season appointment wrong, we got relegated the last time that happened.

I m a tad confused. Surely it’s the manager who final say on transfers. Is Mathie being made scapegoa?
He may get the ‘final say’ but if he’s presented with shit options then that doesn’t mean much really.
He made it quite clear where he wanted to strengthen the team and it simply didn’t happen. He clearly wasn’t happy about that.
Hope that helps.
😉

He may get the ‘final say’ but if he’s presented with shit options then that doesn’t mean much really.
He made it quite clear where he wanted to strengthen the team and it simply didn’t happen. He clearly wasn’t happy about that.
Hope that helps.
😉
Did he submit a list of names to recruitment, that’s how it’s worked in the past?

If he gave them a a list that wasn’t achievable, then recruitment work their best to come up with alternatives. It’s worked well up until this window.

Speaking of yogi , 2 from 2 from a team who were bottom when he took over
Far better coach than he gets credit for in my opinion. I still maintain he would have turned it around here... certainly he'd have done a better job than that tit Calderwood did when he replaced him.

Getting aggressive to journalists and telling the fans their expectations were too high sealed it for him though.

Far better coach than he gets credit for in my opinion. I still maintain he would have turned it around here... certainly he'd have done a better job than that tit Calderwood did when he replaced him.

Getting aggressive to journalists and telling the fans their expectations were too high sealed it for him though.
Certain people just didny like his manner of speaking , ok by me though 🤪

me 3

* crap last window
* small squad now decimated by injuries and suspensions
* severe lack of attacking cover = only Nissie for a match or two
* Nissie blown a gasket :doh1: :

If we see a decent Jan window and a net increase in squad numbers, I might then give unqualified backing to JR.

Did he submit a list of names to recruitment, that’s how it’s worked in the past?

If he gave them a a list that wasn’t achievable, then recruitment work their best to come up with alternatives. It’s worked well up until this window.
No idea to be honest.
Whatever the methodology it hasn’t worked.
Jack’s obvious anger and Mathie’s removal points to where the problem may have been.

This thread has been viewed 9085 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back