• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

In pursuit of a white pudding supper

jimtom

Just A Radge
Reaction score
Walked from the foot of Leith walk on Saturday till I reached Gullianos opposite the Playhouse to get a white pudding supper Passed *******s, Indians, Papa Joe's,.
What's gone on here.Wheres our traditional Tali chippie gone?

Walked from the foot of Leith walk on Saturday till I reached Gullianos opposite the Playhouse to get a white pudding supper Passed *******s, Indians, Papa Joe's,.
They were popular in the 70s a bit like the racist pish in your post.

You'd have passed 3 chippies then.
I think its the Mermaid at the Fit O the Walk.
There's one opposite McDonald Road.
And there's the Montgomery Fish bar, my favourite out the 3, at the end of Montgomery Street.

They were popular in the 70s a bit like the racist pish in your post.
Would you like to explain ie racist pish?

Tailend on Leith Walk has shut down I see

Deep Sea still there?

Tailend on Leith Walk has shut down I see

Think a combination of changing ownership, some bad PR involving a parent and small child needing the toilet and the resultant facebook ramy and dodgy employment practices *allegedly ended up with it closing.

And there's the Montgomery Fish bar, my favourite out the 3, at the end of Montgomery Street.
Deep Sea still there?
It's long gone from its original position opposite the Playhouse.

Eatalias. Guy who's got Vittorias/La Fav dad started out there before getting into italian restaurants. I see they've opened Berties in Victoria Street, Scotland biggest chippy.

The Deep Sea is gone?? Noooooooooooooooo - it was my spot on the way home if I was ever up town (rare these days). From their door to mine was about spot on the time it takes to leisurely munch a single fish.

The Deep Sea is gone?? Noooooooooooooooo - it was my spot on the way home if I was ever up town (rare these days). From their door to mine was about spot on the time it takes to leisurely munch a single fish.
Fairly confident The Deep Sea is still there aggie.

Whew. Thank fcuk.

@jimtom , be a bit more responsible with your fake news, buddy!

Whew. Thank fcuk.

Aye but are you old
Whew. Thank fcuk.

I am talking about the ORIGINAL deep sea and its location.Totally different place to the one that's there now.Maybe some of the more senior bouncers can help me out.

Eatalias. Guy who's got Vittorias/La Fav dad started out there before getting into italian restaurants. I see they've opened Berties in Victoria Street, Scotland biggest chippy.

I was in Berties the day it opened. I thought it was pretty decent for the money, even if we'd have paid full price. If you book a table online then there's a discount and there's also the season ticket discount so we got a real bargain.

One thing though. I was the only one of 6 of us that got the large fish, greedy bastard ;-) it looked pretty much the same size as all the others although the lassie assured me it was bigger. Nah we all said lol. Still good and I'll go again.

Love a white pudding supper. They're the vegetarian option after all...

Love a white pudding supper. They're the vegetarian option after all...

Nah mate not vegetarian. Made with beef suet. However your luck is in. How fortuitous, his Thursday Aldi is selling Vegetarian White Pudding by Kelly's of County Mayo, Ireland.

1546962020049.png

1546962139946.png

Mayo butcher’s meat-free white pudding tempts Aldi

BIG G

Nah mate not vegetarian. Made with beef suet. However your luck is in. How fortuitous, his Thursday Aldi is selling Vegetarian White Pudding by Kelly's of County Mayo, Ireland.

View attachment 554

View attachment 555

Mayo butcher’s meat-free white pudding tempts Aldi

BIG G
Ssh! It's one of those wee fibs we tell ourselves...

(Will check out the veggie ones though but i bet they're not as good).

Are you sure ? The Deap Sea is /was owned by Eddie Ferrie who also owns/owned Ferries restaurant on the corner which was run by Franco Martone for many years .
Franco owns Bar Italia on Lothian Road and Ciao Roma on the bridges. He took on the lease at 9 Shandwick Place from Rock Bottom and turned it into Ciao Napoli . I bought it from from Franco and turned it into Cactus Jack’s ( best Mexican this side of the Rio Grande ) - It’s now the Rat Pack I believe .

I have been in a bit of a pallava about the location of the Deep Sea on a site called Edinburgh Past and Present on facebook before.It got me totally bamboozled.But what i think has happened is;do you know the bit that is being dug up at the moment?Next to Sherlock Holmes?Well what I think used to be there was another stretch of road in front of what is now Union Place?And I think the Deep Sea was on that stretch of the road next to a Laundrette.But i wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Should try finding one in Glasgow. Was shocked and appalled when I moved here to find no white pudding in the chippies.

What's gone on here.Wheres our traditional Tali chippie gocne?
Should have added
I have been in a bit of a pallava about the location of the Deep Sea on a site called Edinburgh Past and Present on facebook before.It got me totally bamboozled.But what i think has happened is;do you know the bit that is being dug up at the moment?Next to Sherlock Holmes?Well what I think used to be there was another stretch of road in front of what is now Union Place?And I think the Deep Sea was on that stretch of the road next to a Laundrette.But i wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.
That's it I am sure.Its now obviously totally gone.It sort off sat in the middle of the road.I am talking late 60"s and would probably gone early to mid 70"s.

Are you sure ? The Deap Sea is /was owned by Eddie Ferrie who also owns/owned Ferries restaurant on the corner which was run by Franco Martone for many years .
Franco owns Bar Italia on Lothian Road and Ciao Roma on the bridges. He took on the lease at 9 Shandwick Place from Rock Bottom and turned it into Ciao Napoli . I bought it from from Franco and turned it into Cactus Jack’s ( best Mexican this side of the Rio Grande ) - It’s now the Rat Pack I believe .
I am talking about the Deep Sea I used to frequent in the 1960"s.

Should try finding one in Glasgow. Was shocked and appalled when I moved here to find no white pudding in the chippies.
Living in Ayrshire is the same black puddings only.Or should I say non white puddings only in case I am accused of being a racist.Yes, that's why I look forward to visiting Edinburgh.

I'm gonna guess it was the use of *******s or Tali OR maybe I've picked things up wrong and it's actually your preference for the White Supremacist Pudding over it's more humble black (or red skinned) brother....

Either way I could just be spraffing a load o' keech :popcorn3:

Living here in Wexford I miss white pudding suppers so much. You sods talking about them is making it worse :icon-rolleyes: ;))

Living here in Wexford I miss white pudding suppers so much. You sods talking about them is making it worse :icon-rolleyes: ;))
Check Big G's post above referring to Irish White Puddings stocked by Aldi ^^

Oh .. That one .

Attachments

• union place.jpg
    union place.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DrAYhy_WsAIGPEJ.jpg
    DrAYhy_WsAIGPEJ.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 27
Should have added

That's it I am sure.Its now obviously totally gone.It sort off sat in the middle of the road.I am talking late 60"s and would probably gone early to mid 70"s.
That whole area was redeveloped. Broughton St came right up past the Cathedral,the roundabout wasn't there,there was a toilet frequented by prostitutes and men cottaging and a polis box next to it.The Theatre Royal was next to the Conan Doyle.It all pretty much changed when the St James'Centre went up.

Yes now clear.1-14 Union Place demolished November/December 1969.This row of buildings included the ORIGINAL Deep Sea Fish restaurant.Shown in photographs .The one on the left is looking up to what became The St James centre.Row 1-14 would have stood on the the big roundabout in front of the Playhouse.This is not fake news!

Leith Street was completely different.On the left hand side going up towards Princes STthere were shops on two levels,with railings.That's where Jackson the tailors was.

Deep Sea still there?
Westside didnt know if it was the original Deep Sea that was demolished in 1969 you meant or the one that's there today.

The Deep Sea had a laundrette on one side and Bandparts on the other.I only know this because I was on the site, because I was 7 when it happened.

Whew. Thank fcuk.

Aggie I said the ORIGINAl deep sea.Read the posts and you will understand.No fake news from me.

Aggie I said the ORIGINAl deep sea.Read the posts and you will understand.No fake news from me.

some of us didn't know there was an original.
Sometimes details go missed.

That said, deep sea used to give us all a supper for a quid at lunch time back at school
Good people.

Last edited:
Me too .

Westside didnt know if it was the original Deep Sea that was demolished in 1969 you meant or the one that's there today.
I meant the one that you walked past the other day.

Honestly?
The words you should have used are Chinese and Italian.
And no its not pc nonsense.
Edit,I notice either yourself of an admin has ****** instead of the word originally used

Honestly?
Edit,I notice either yourself of an admin has ****** instead of the word originally used
Honestly?
Let's get this straight first I am not a racist.I suggest you consult Oxfords finest dictionary and read the meaning of the words racist and racism.Then tell me how those meanings relate to my post.

In your original post there is a word asterisked out.I presume because it is a word used that we all on here decided was unacceptable.I know you are new here but you should take note of the asterisks and act accordingly.I really don't want to have to go through another 'what is racist?'type argument I've had enough of them to last me a lifetime.An admin on here must have found a word you used unacceptable so try not to use it.

This thread has been viewed 10519 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50