If you had a choice of striker

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Registered
Feb 22, 2004
Edinburgh
A bit of fun and interest at the same time. If it came down to a choice of what striker you would have up front to play alongside Flo Kamberi for next season who would you choose from the following and why ?

1. McLaren on a permanent deal.
2. Kenny Miller on a one year contract.
3. Gary Hooper on loan for a season.
4. Leigh Griffiths on loan for a season.

I know Leigh would be the obvious choice but my choice would be Jamie McLaren because he knows the players and has already established a great partnership with Flo. Kenny Miller would provide great experience and goals and would help players like Oli Shaw and Simon Murray (if he is still here). The down side is his age and how many games would he be able to play.. Hooper would be a great move but again he would probably need time to settle into the club and the team. Leigh coming back to Hibs again would be incredible but I think he struggles playing up front with a striking partner. Would take him in a minute though despite him not being able to play against Celtic.

One thing for me is sure. If we can't get McLaren back we will need a similar type brought in. IMO we need four strikers competing for a place in the team to cope with injuries/suspensions/form loss. I would be happy with Simon Murray coming back but only as fourth choice striker. Not sure if he would be up for that to be honest. Players want to play and if he thinks he is hardly going to get any games for Hibs he might just want to move on.

Last edited:

EastMeetsWest

Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Gray Boot Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
LG all the way. McLaren on a permanent would be ideal, he was only here a few months but gave more to the club than far too many to mention.

I've a feeling it's going to be someone out the blue and none that have been mentioned so far hopefully another masterstroke like Flo. Whoever it is can't grumble at their striking partner, total grafter.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Jun 28, 2002
McLaren on a permanent, worth a sale later and he could play against Celtic.

Also Leigh's best up front on his own.
Spot on.

Griffiths a better player, but in the present circumstances McLaren it is.

SuperTortolano

Private Member
Registered
Jul 21, 2008
Murica
Leigh and Allan in a swap deal for McGinn with Celtic paying half of Leigh's wages. Nae dosh, everyone's a winner. Come on Rod you know it makes sense.

HibeeZab

Rock n' Roll Radge
Private Member
Registered
Gray Boot Sponsor
Oct 2, 2006
Edinburgh
Super Leigh by a country mile!

However would love us to get Maclaren back, think he really does gel nicely with the team.

Hooper would be an unreal signing, no doubts he'd score for fun.

Kenny Miller? As a back up maybe, but not as a first choice.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Nov 15, 2005
Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
McLaren on a permanent deal. Why take a player on loan [as good as it would be to see LG back in a Hibs top] that can't play against his parent club if you want to be serious about winning the league?

beefy

Easy Now Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Ladies Player Sponsor
Feb 20, 2006
Stuck between the moon and new york city
Cos Sparky would score at least 50 (23 against hertz with 13 chalked off for nuffink) to back up Flo's miserly 7 that wins us the title anyways, Mr Dub innit
McLaren on a permanent deal. Why take a player on loan [as good as it would be to see LG back in a Hibs top] that can't play against his parent club if you want to be serious about winning the league?
Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Nov 11, 2007
A stool at the bar
Whatever we do in my opinion the permanent deal will always win. It's a permanent part of the jigsaw, continuity blah and something we can build on.

Having said that the on loans are interesting.

But apart from the oft mentioned money angle why is Hooper a loan?

We have twice the attendances we had a few short seasons ago (Scottish clubs live by their attendances we're told), top league income, increased sponsorship income and so on. We're minted in comparison to where we were only recently. We're not Real Madrid but we're not old Hibs. We've moved on.

Nurturing Oli Shaw is more exciting than interesting and hopefully will be a better option for all concerned going forward.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
We need 4 options to work with? So far we have two in place - Kamberi and Shaw.

What we showed in January is our recruitment is either very good or very lucky.

I’d like to see Maclaren back - we know it works - and a quick option. But we already have two very quick options in Boyle and Murray, so maybe there’s something in there to give us a 22 man senior squad. There’s benefits to the likes of barker if we aren’t paying their wages, but I suspect the agreement states they have to play.