How do we stop individual's ruining our clubs name? (1 Viewer)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Jamie

Staff member
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.hibeesbounce.com
The same way you turn the CAPS OFF ? :giggle:

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Jamie

Staff member
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.hibeesbounce.com
I tried something different, I don't think it's that big a deal :dunno1:
Maybe just being over sensitive putting up with Hibs Capitals in their link only feeds. :giggle:

However...

The Negatives of All Caps

It Is More Difficult to Read a Word in All Caps
That's right. It makes it more difficult to communicate a word when it is in all caps; It does not make it easier. This is the case for two main reasons.

1. Capital letters look more similar than lower case letters. They all have the same relative height. Most of them have the same relative width. They even tend to have the same blocky shape. Think of the old scoreboards or digital alarm clocks. They had only 7 possible lines to draw, yet they could present almost every capital letter but only a hand full of lowercase letters.
  2. Why does any of that matter? Well, we tend to read the tops of words. When we read we more or less trace the topography of the word with our eyes. We see the letters move up and down, slant and curve, cross and dot. This works well for the varied lowercase letters but not for the blocky capital ones. Consider this difference here:
CAN YOU READ THIS BETTER?

Can you read this better?

All Caps Actually De-emphasizes What's Important

If you are putting something in all caps, it's likely because you are wanting to put an emphasis on it. This is usually counter productive. When everything is all capitalized it all looks the same. In order to emphasize something it needs to stand out—it needs to be different. There are usually better ways of emphasizing things. Consider the following:

• Italicizing
  • Emboldening
  • Punctuating!
  • Repeating (I'll say that again) Repeating
All Caps Is Pretty Overbearing

Remember that people have a reservoir of goodwill that can be depleted by anything, and when you type in all caps, it kind of feels to the reader like you are shouting at them. In most contexts it is rude to shout. It's probably not something you want to do to your clients or potential clients. We can hear you.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Reactions: Jamie
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Gav1990

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
East Calder, West Lothian, United Kingdom
Website
hibstalk.com
Maybe just being over sensitive putting up with Hibs Capitals in their link only feeds. :giggle:

However...

The Negatives of All Caps

It Is More Difficult to Read a Word in All Caps
That's right. It makes it more difficult to communicate a word when it is in all caps; It does not make it easier. This is the case for two main reasons.

1. Capital letters look more similar than lower case letters. They all have the same relative height. Most of them have the same relative width. They even tend to have the same blocky shape. Think of the old scoreboards or digital alarm clocks. They had only 7 possible lines to draw, yet they could present almost every capital letter but only a hand full of lowercase letters.
  2. Why does any of that matter? Well, we tend to read the tops of words. When we read we more or less trace the topography of the word with our eyes. We see the letters move up and down, slant and curve, cross and dot. This works well for the varied lowercase letters but not for the blocky capital ones. Consider this difference here:
CAN YOU READ THIS BETTER?

Can you read this better?

All Caps Actually De-emphasizes What's Important

If you are putting something in all caps, it's likely because you are wanting to put an emphasis on it. This is usually counter productive. When everything is all capitalized it all looks the same. In order to emphasize something it needs to stand out—it needs to be different. There are usually better ways of emphasizing things. Consider the following:

• Italicizing
  • Emboldening
  • Punctuating!
  • Repeating (I'll say that again) Repeating
All Caps Is Pretty Overbearing

Remember that people have a reservoir of goodwill that can be depleted by anything, and when you type in all caps, it kind of feels to the reader like you are shouting at them. In most contexts it is rude to shout. It's probably not something you want to do to your clients or potential clients. We can hear you.
Interesting read cheers. With my dyslexia, I often write in all caps and find it easier to read. Also another podcast I listen to often does it, I use them as an influence

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
I think the suggestion that individual actions of fuddery by arseholes ruins the name of our club is total bullshit.
But if every week there's an incident, it soon becomes Hibs are a problem club.
Everyone's aware it's only a few fanny's
But repeated exposure becomes a club wide image.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Bobby_Combe

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Since we appear to be more concerned about the way the OP typed the title of the thread ...

"Individuals" is a plural noun - more than one individual - NO APOSTROPHE! :no:
"Club's" is a possessive noun - "the name belonging to our club" - APOSTROPHE! :no:
There's an amazing wee book called "Eats Shoots And Leaves" which is very entertaining. It's improved my spelling and punctuation enormously since I was given it for Christmas.
It's a great wee book - I really recommend it. :27:

As for the actual intended subject of the thread, I totally agree with Hammi - not making excuses for them would be a very good start.

The stands are for the supporters. The pitch is for the players, trainers and physios and officials. The police and stewards are there to keep the two groups apart. If we don't maintain that separation, the game of football becomes impossible.

I would stop players leaving the pitch to celebrate goals with the fans. We see this on TV week after week - even this weekend, at the Aston Villa match where Grealish was assaulted on the pitch, he was later seen trying to dive into the AV fans after he scored. A steward who tried to stop him was 'spoken to' - wrongly, in my opinion. Surely there needs to be real separation between the players who make up the team and the supporters who are there to watch?

Now I know that players disappearing into the front of the crowd happens a lot more frequently in England than in Scotland, but we see it on our screens and the English FA, Leagues and clubs should be told to get a handle on it. And Sky, BT, and the others should stop showing it. Morons learn by imitation; don't give them anything to imitate, and and I would suggest that things will improve.

In that context, I would also stop the growing practice of substitutes running onto the pitch to celebrate with the team - automatic red cards for anyone guilty would stop it in a fortnight. Imagine if a club ends up with no subs halfway through the first half.

There were a couple of managers running on as well recently. Make them sit in the stands for a month. That'd probably stop them.

And I don't think we can say that these folks' behaviour has no effect on the good name of the club and the other supporters. I know quite a few people who consider Hibs to be a 'problem club' already.

Written by one who never makes mistakes and always get things right .... :077:

Reactions: Purple & Green
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

moathibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
If there is an excuse to be made for the small number of radges at the club I will make it thanks anyway.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

southfieldhibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Reaction score
But if every week there's an incident, it soon becomes Hibs are a problem club.
Everyone's aware it's only a few fanny's
But repeated exposure becomes a club wide image.
Disagree. One/two/three attention seeking bams does not reflect on the club- or the support for that matter. An entire stand singing sectarian songs reflect the support and the club very well. The two are not comparable, no matter what the succulent lamb purveyors and consumers regard.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

paigntonhibby

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Since we appear to be more concerned about the way the OP typed the title of the thread ...

"Individuals" is a plural noun - more than one individual - NO APOSTROPHE! :no:
"Club's" is a possessive noun - "the name belonging to our club" - APOSTROPHE! :no:
There's an amazing wee book called "Eats Shoots And Leaves" which is very entertaining. It's improved my spelling and punctuation enormously since I was given it for Christmas.
It's a great wee book - I really recommend it. :27:

As for the actual intended subject of the thread, I totally agree with Hammi - not making excuses for them would be a very good start.

The stands are for the supporters. The pitch is for the players, trainers and physios and officials. The police and stewards are there to keep the two groups apart. If we don't maintain that separation, the game of football becomes impossible.

I would stop players leaving the pitch to celebrate goals with the fans. We see this on TV week after week - even this weekend, at the Aston Villa match where Grealish was assaulted on the pitch, he was later seen trying to dive into the AV fans after he scored. A steward who tried to stop him was 'spoken to' - wrongly, in my opinion. Surely there needs to be real separation between the players who make up the team and the supporters who are there to watch?

Now I know that players disappearing into the front of the crowd happens a lot more frequently in England than in Scotland, but we see it on our screens and the English FA, Leagues and clubs should be told to get a handle on it. And Sky, BT, and the others should stop showing it. Morons learn by imitation; don't give them anything to imitate, and and I would suggest that things will improve.

In that context, I would also stop the growing practice of substitutes running onto the pitch to celebrate with the team - automatic red cards for anyone guilty would stop it in a fortnight. Imagine if a club ends up with no subs halfway through the first half.

There were a couple of managers running on as well recently. Make them sit in the stands for a month. That'd probably stop them.

And I don't think we can say that these folks' behaviour has no effect on the good name of the club and the other supporters. I know quite a few people who consider Hibs to be a 'problem club' already.

Written by one who never makes mistakes and always get things right .... :077:
I always thought "club's" = club is and "clubs' " = belonging or pertaining to a club. Things could've changed since I was at Ainslie Park right enough

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Beagle

Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Could always turn ER into a Scottish version of the Maracana. Dig a big fuck off moat around the pitch

Reactions: Power
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
I always thought "club's" = club is and "clubs' " = belonging or pertaining to a club. Things could've changed since I was at Ainslie Park right enough
I was also at Ainslie Park and had a very good English teacher called Mr Macaleese; good but very strict. Your first example of "club's" can refer to both an abbreviation and to possession. Your second, "clubs' " can refer to possession of more than one club (plural, of course). I don't think it was Mr Macaleese who inspired me to become a teacher of English but the language hasn't changed that much.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
And I know sentences shouldn't start with 'Because' or 'And' for that matter.
There is no reason why sentences should not begin with "Because" or "And", with your sentence being an excellent example.

Reactions: Power
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Jamie

Staff member
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge