• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

HIBERNIAN APPOINT PAUL HECKINGBOTTOM

Rocky

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
It's interesting that folk have been reporting it as a done deal since about Thursday but it's not been announced yet. Meanwhile various articles (and pictures of him looking like a big scary hard bastard) are being shared on forums and the sentiment towards the guy is growing more and more positive. Is the club playing a PR blinder and waiting till we're all posting #AnnounceAppleton hashtags? If he'd been announced on Thursday would he start with a mountain to climb with the support as the first reaction would have been 'who's this no mark, board has nae ambition' etc etc?

I've actually got to the stage I'll be right disappointed if it's not him.

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Last minute hitch delaying his announcement according to The Sun...

PETRIE!!

SlovSam

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I wonder where all the leaks are coming from given that its been 5 days since someone on either side briefed the media that Appleton was the chosen one.

Hopefully it wasn't Hibs as this gives Appleton much better control over the final contract negotiations as Hibs are going to look pretty incompetent if the deal falls through at such a late stage.

Really cant see that happening though as Appleton will see 2 years up here as the ideal opportunity to get his career back on track and hopefully some relative success to get his name in the frame for the revolving door that is the English Championship.

Such an average CV , a weird accent and a grown man who feels the need to plaster his arms (body) with tattoos isn't an easy sell for Leeanne so hopefully we get to hear from the man himself as to his football philosophy, ambition , willingness to engage with supporters and whether he plans to live here at a very early stage.

"Hard and scary" really doesn't cut it these days where players have all the power and if anything its a drawback in modern football.

More importantly he reads and sounds very well in the little information out there and has obviously packed a lot into his last 10 years and learned from a lot of difficult situations.

The biggest challenge he will face is how to overcome his complete lack of knowledge of Scottish football and it will be a big call as to whether he appoints his own assistant or Hibs force one of the "Hibby Huns" as back up.

Last edited:

MikeyG

Bounce Radge
Last minute hitch delaying his announcement according to The Sun...

PETRIE!!
Delighted our board have taken their time to diligently carry out the due process.

Now negotiating the best deal for the club.

From what I have read about Appleton is a good fit. Time will tell.

HenryLB

Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Such an average CV , a weird accent and a grown man who feels the need to plaster his arms (body) with tattoos isn't an easy sell for Leeanne so hopefully we get to hear from the man himself as to his football philosophy, ambition , willingness to engage with supporters and whether he plans to live here at a very early stage.

"Hard and scary" really doesn't cut it these days where players have all the power and if anything its a drawback in moderm football.
Agree he looks a bit unappealing but it might be best not to judge a book by its cover. Reports I've read from Oxford fans are that he's tough but very respectful of players and a 'rugby-type coach' in a good way - demands commitment and honesty, and instils a sense of toughness.

They also say he played attractive football and the team had some fight, not panicking when losing a goal etc and working hard. I wasn't exactly enthused by his appointment (if he has been appointed!) but reading some of the stuff from Oxford fans has made me a lot more optimistic.

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Hitch could be anything...possibly length of contract ?
Don't think it will scupper things. Hibs want him and he wants to come to Hibs. If he does get appointed he will have to learn a lot very quickly. As SlovSam says it's his total lack of knowledge of the scottish game and especially opposing teams which will be his biggest hindrance and he will be relying very heavily on May and Murray for the insight into our rivals. Here's hoping we can get things sorted very soon.

Last edited:

Smurf

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
The biggest challenge he will face is how to overcome his complete lack of knowledge of Scottish football and it will be a big call as to whether he appoints his own assistant or Hibs force one of the "Hibby Huns" as back up.
Our two previous appointments with no domestic history of the Scottish game as player, coach or manager didn't go well with Calderwood or Fenlon.

Personally I wish we were looking at someone who knew our domestic game.

Weehibbydrew

Mussel-bound Radge
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Our two previous appointments with no domestic history of the Scottish game as player, coach or manager didn't go well with Calderwood or Fenlon.

Personally I wish we were looking at someone who knew our domestic game.
Brendan Rodgers is doing OK. Stephen. McIntyre is doing Ok. Tommy Wright is doing Ok. Don't think it's that big a deal with the right team around him.

SuperTortolano

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Three weeks or so on and I still don't give a toss who the manager ends up being. Strange feeling.

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Will he rely on EM & GM for knowledge of the Scottish game or will someone else be brought in? Ian Murray perhaps?

Smurf

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Brendan Rodgers is doing OK. Stephen. McIntyre is doing Ok. Tommy Wright is doing Ok. Don't think it's that big a deal with the right team around him.
The right team around I agree. However, both names you mention outwith Brendan Rodgers who really couldn't fail with his budget, were assistants in Scotland before they got the top job so had experience.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
It's interesting that folk have been reporting it as a done deal since about Thursday but it's not been announced yet. Meanwhile various articles (and pictures of him looking like a big scary hard bastard) are being shared on forums and the sentiment towards the guy is growing more and more positive. Is the club playing a PR blinder and waiting till we're all posting #AnnounceAppleton hashtags? If he'd been announced on Thursday would he start with a mountain to climb with the support as the first reaction would have been 'who's this no mark, board has nae ambition' etc etc?

I've actually got to the stage I'll be right disappointed if it's not him.
Hibs used to be absolutely watertight with info, so this is a bit strange if he is appointed. Maybe they are playing the media

NW

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
I am sure I read that both Heckingbottom and Appleton shared an agent. Be handy for the agent to be using Hibs to push his clients appeal??

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
I am sure I read that both Heckingbottom and Appleton shared an agent. Be handy for the agent to be using Hibs to push his clients appeal??
Wouldn't surprise me.
I wonder if the guy who DOESN'T get the gig will sack his agent for using him as a patsy?

Young porty

Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Be happy with either guy. My neighbour is a Barnsley fan so is full of praise for their ex boss. Appleton looks a decent shout as well. Hopefully whoever is appointed lifts the club ad gets the fans onside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors