HIBERNIAN APPOINT PAUL HECKINGBOTTOM (2 Viewers)

Rocky

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Two Medals is just about our only 'out ball' from the back now Efe has gone. Quite noticeable what we were missing when he was out injured - a rare phenomenon.
He actually puts in quite decent crosses too - maybe not every time, but several in a game.
I think that's a perfect example of the confidence in the team having taken a knock. Early in the season it was noticeable to me that he was starting to hit the bye line and get crosses in, and plenty very decent crosses at that. Now he's very much back to his old ways of stopping the advance by cutting back as soon as he gets ten yards into opposition territory. Still love him but if it turns out Mackie has all his qualities and is also happy to beat a man and get a cross in then I think we need to start managing that transition.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hammi

Top radge
Administrator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
I think that's a perfect example of the confidence in the team having taken a knock. Early in the season it was noticeable to me that he was starting to hit the bye line and get crosses in, and plenty very decent crosses at that. Now he's very much back to his old ways of stopping the advance by cutting back as soon as he gets ten yards into opposition territory. Still love him but if it turns out Mackie has all his qualities and is also happy to beat a man and get a cross in then I think we need to start managing that transition.

And everyone will be fine with that.
There's nothing wrong with any player moving backwards in the pecking order so long as the replacement is viable.

Last year Lennon tried to replace him with Whittaker, it didn't work and Lewis took his place back.
We've brought in other left backs who can't even get on the park in place of him.

If Mackie makes the transition (I've been more impressed with him as a midfielder) then we'll be able to rest sure knowing Lewis is backup.

He's the definition of team player for us, he's been through it all. Good and bad, in and out of favour and suffered multiple position changes.
If he'd been a fullback his whole career he'd be a different machine.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

tayside hibee

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Reaction score
as far away fi The Saville Dome as possible
I think last season was Lewis best he has ever had with us. He has slipped a little in a poor performing team , with some crazy selections and formations. I think he is well worth his place in the squad for a couple of seasons at least. I could actually see him playing the role which Milligan is tasked with in the future.
Effe ( and maybe the two goalkeepers) was the only player who gave consistent performances every week this season. To single out Stevenson , Hanlon and Daz is strange. On this seasons performances, every single player is replaceable and unreliable . Hopefully a new management team can restore some confidence and remove the uncertainty and madness which has been around this season . Players have been playing with other things on their mind for sure.

Reactions: WJC1848 and 1875
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chris G Whyte

Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
The opinion differences are interesting, just because a lot of them have reasonable commentary that you can't dismiss even if you disagree with the conclusion. For example, I still think Hanlon is a good player but needs to completely clear his injury (which we don't know if he has), AND play in a team that helps his weaknesses.

Lewis Stevenson has been a great servant, but I do think he's a bit less lower on quality depending upon our intent. I wouldn't get rid of him, however, as I think he'd have a solid psychological influence, and will always be a good back up.

But here's my snag...

Beyond Marciano, Gray, Porteous, Boyle and Kamberi... I don't think anyone has done enough to prove themselves yet. I know Oli Shaw has been named as a European quality, but he hasn't proved that he's Scottish Premier quality yet; neither has the hopeful Stevie Mallan, and I made my comments about Hanlon already.

My suspicion is that they will (including Daryl Horgan, in my view), but we're still looking at a laughably small percentage of squad players that should see us challenge for the 2nd to 3rd place that we're financially capable of.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
As I have said elsewhere I think we have to be realistic as a support as to what the new manager is going to be able to do with the team in the 4 months or so he has left of this season. He won't know the players at all and is going to have to depend very much on Eddie May and Grant Murray for information on them. IMO for the rest of this season he has to try to organise the team properly and try to get confidence back in to the players. They have to start enjoying playing for Hibs again...this season several have given the impression that they would rather be somewhere else. He will also have to spend the rest of this season assessing what he has inherited before making decisive plans for next season as to who he wants to build his new team around.
As regards the future, personally, I really hope he builds from the back and establishes a strong spine to the team. You have to make yourself difficult to beat before you can achieve anything as a team.
I still think Paul Hanlon is our best central defender and should be the mainstay of our defence. His injury has clearly been very debilitating for him and he has not fully recovered from it going by recent performances. Darren McGregor has also been affected badly by his injuries and he is getting towards the end of his career. David Gray, though injury-prone, is as inspiring a captain as we have had since Stanton. A decision will have to made about him though regarding his fitness.
The new manager hopefully will be given funds to bring in quality players over the summer (hopefully about 6 or 7), and we will have the arrival of Scott Allan to look forward to as well as hopefully the return of a fully fit Martin Boyle and Ryan Porteous. Really hope we can get McNulty secured on a permanent deal. Even this early he looks real quality.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperTortolano

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
McAvennie actually made a good point. Said it was ridiculous us going down to England with cap in hand to interview these boys. We are a big club and these potential managers should be coming up to Edinburgh.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
McAvennie actually made a good point. Said it was ridiculous us going down to England with cap in hand to interview these boys. We are a big club and these potential managers should be coming up to Edinburgh.
Might be just to keep snoopers at bay.

Reactions: Jack
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MSG_07

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
As I have said elsewhere I think we have to be realistic as a support as to what the new manager is going to be able to do with the team in the 4 months or so he has left of this season. He won't know the players at all and is going to have to depend very much on Eddie May and Grant Murray for information on them. IMO for the rest of this season he has to try to organise the team properly and try to get confidence back in to the players. They have to start enjoying playing for Hibs again...this season several have given the impression that they would rather be somewhere else. He will also have to spend the rest of this season assessing what he has inherited before making decisive plans for next season as to who he wants to build his new team around.
As regards the future, personally, I really hope he builds from the back and establishes a strong spine to the team. You have to make yourself difficult to beat before you can achieve anything as a team.
I still think Paul Hanlon is our best central defender and should be the mainstay of our defence. His injury has clearly been very debilitating for him and he has not fully recovered from it going by recent performances. Darren McGregor has also been affected badly by his injuries and he is getting towards the end of his career. David Gray, though injury-prone, is as inspiring a captain as we have had since Stanton. A decision will have to made about him though regarding his fitness.
The new manager hopefully will be given funds to bring in quality players over the summer (hopefully about 6 or 7), and we will have the arrival of Scott Allan to look forward to as well as hopefully the return of a fully fit Martin Boyle and Ryan Porteous. Really hope we can get McNulty secured on a permanent deal. Even this early he looks real quality.
McNulty has 2 years remaining on his contract. Another loan deal if we are lucky - Reading would still be expecting a sizable fee. There will be other options, hopefully not all last minute.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
McNulty has 2 years remaining on his contract. Another loan deal if we are lucky - Reading would still be expecting a sizable fee. There will be other options, hopefully not all last minute.
We had I think two possibly three offers rejected in January for a permanent deal. He wanted to come home. We really tried to get him permanently but we couldn't agree terms with Reading so we arranged a loan deal till the end of the season. Thing is we apparently had first option to sign McLaren permanently for £400,000 if his loan deal had worked out this year but it didn't so perhaps that money is still set aside ? They don't want him at Reading anymore as the manager there doesn't rate him. Maybe we could persuade them to let him go for that £400,000 ? It's probably just wishful thinking on my part but if this lad continues to show up well for us I think it would be worth the investment if we could manage it.

Reactions: MSG_07
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.hibeesbounce.com
I don't think it's either of the names mentioned. If it was, it would have been announced by now. No inside knowledge tho!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Smurf

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Nonsense. Most big clubs in the UK interview in London.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

lespenny

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
I think Lewis is a liability .
Tries his heart out but his one footed problem stops us improving .
Saturday was a perfect example . 99.9% of the times he gets a ball passed out to him on the wing he cuts back inside because he can’t go past his man .. Passes back or sideways and momentum is lost .
When he’s in his left back position he punts the ball upfield at neck height on the off chance the ball will land on one of our poor fed up attacker’s necks.
He has to go .
Look at Slivka - Skillful , when stuck without an out pass monoevers the ball into a position from where he can then make a killer pass with either foot . And he does that by twisting and turning intelligently with speed and skill .
The antithesis of little Stevenson .

Praying the new man sees it .

Wow, didn't realise Slivka was a left back. You might as well compare Lewis to Rocky! Pointless, lazy comparison.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Bofahibee

Flag Owner
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators