• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

HIBERNIAN APPOINT PAUL HECKINGBOTTOM

I suspect slightly down, but string a few wins together and they will be back and renewing for next season.

I expect it will be a lower than normal crowd, whilst Eddie Grant will still be taking the team I expect, even if PHB is in the dugout.

Talking in purely financial terms Hibs have taken a huge hit in paying off Lennon and Parker slightly dulled by the lesser salaries of PHB and Stockdale.

Season tickets must fall as they were always going to after last years very succesful season and its just a question of how big the fall off will be and this will be the determining factor in the new managers budget.

TV revenue is going to be well down as 6th compared to 4th is realistically all we can hope for this season and if we don't reach Top 6 we also lose 2 or 3 very significant gates.

Lennon had already spent all the money as despite what the conspiracy theorists think Hibs don't have a magic money box stashed away down in 'Longniddry Mansions" or put another way there is no 'Kitty" to inherit which is by no means bad.

Hence PHB is going to have to work with far less money next year than he might expect hence the reason he needs players oot before he gets players in especially if he wants to implement a high pressing game.

I could easily see the end for Marvin, Milli, Daz and SDG and a payoff for Roger and question marks against a host of others if they can somehow be moved on.

Question is How do you find the players to fill the gaps especially on such a reduced budget especially as your new manager has extensive knowledge of England where salaries are so hugely inflated you can only look way down the leagues or hopefully have inside gen and unhearth a young gem like Mowbray did with Murphy.

That's what makes or breaks managers I guess but PHB has a very tough job ahead of him and needs time and a lot it.

Last edited:
A question? Do you think his appointment will add a few thousand to the crowd on Saturday?

No. Will probably be down a wee bit. School holidays a possible factor, but generally apathy towards the guy also a consideration.

Listening to his interview, sounds like we can expect a lot of comings and goings during the windows. Seems to go through a big turn over of players.

I took that as more he just accepted it was one of those things, rather than being the driver beind the turnover.

Talking in purely financial terms Hibs have taken a huge hit in paying off Lennon and Parker slightly dulled by the lesser salaries of PHB and Stockdale.

I wonder how big the hit is?
It wouldn't surprise me if Gary Parker ended up with a bigger pay off than Lennon.

I took that as more he just accepted it was one of those things, rather than being the driver beind the turnover.
Yes I think he meant that due to his players performing well they left for bigger clubs.

You could feel that the "cat had got the cream" as he is obviously the second choice but ultimately the interview became a tough watch especially as it was very hard to understand what he was saying.

It was quite difficult to tune into his English accent especially delivered in such a monotonous drone.

He is actually quite a left field appointment as he only has about 120 games as a manager which at 42 years old is a very limited number but it was very good to see how he had worked his way up the various youth and under 20 systems as always trying to improve himself step by step.

Patsy questions of course but we never did find out why it went wrong at Barnsley and then Leeds or how he plans to overcome his complete lack of knowledge of Scottish football and do him and Robbie Stockdale actually plan to live here or just commute.

Obviously knows nothing about Hibs present playing staff as he won't be playing his favoured high pressing game with a midfield of Slivka, Mallon, Horgan and Allan.

As for Milligan and Barclay they must have fainted at the very thought.

He is certainly not a leader of men by a long way but quiet, unassuming, thoughtful, fair minded and always looking for small improvements and working as a team with his colleagues from other departments are also very admirable qualities to have in a manager.

He does have this season as very much a free hit but then he needs to make his mark in the next transfer window hence I expect he will have a clear out of many of the old faces which had to happen at some time.

I am claiming copyright christening him as "PHB" and it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds as he joins with very much a clean slate to work with so many loan players and contracts up at the end of the season.
Benitez doesn’t rant and rave ..excellent manager .
I got the feeling from his interview that Heckers will be a good tactician , an intelligent motivator and will see right through Hanlon , Stevenson and Marciano ..
The one major thing that needs really really really drummed into him is the importance of beating Hearts .
Because of the woeful run we had against them of however many games without a win a few years back - My first priority in any game against Hearts is not to lose 7-0 or any other configuration of that scoreline that could be justifiably deemed even worse .
That 5-1 beating at Hampden a few years ago in the cup final could have been 10 + if half the Heart’s team on the day knew of the significance of giving us a real doing !

Robbie Stockdale is an interesting one - cleared out at Sunderland when Jack Ross came in - but the car crash documentary Sunderland TIL I die on Netflix showed him in a good light

Robbie Stockdale is an interesting one - cleared out at Sunderland when Jack Ross came in - but the car crash documentary Sunderland TIL I die on Netflix showed him in a good light

In what way B? I didn't even know he was Scottish until yesterday? Or is he actually Scenglish?

In what way B? I didn't even know he was Scottish until yesterday? Or is he actually Scenglish?

He's as Scottish as the radge Bertie McVogts that capped him. He was at the car crash that was Sunderland for 6 years working his way up from youth coach - and seemed to me to be doing a good job amidst the chaos around him.

Hecky Thump some Leeds fans call him. I like to be optimistic and hope he will be one of the most successful managers in our history. However, , the general feeling among Leeds fans is that he is overrated on the basis of one good season at Barnsley and, although a decent coach, he made many poor first team decisions at Leeds. one close mate, a long-time Leeds (and Hibs) fan said: "Be very surprised if he does well. Disappointed for Hibs."
Not saying your mates wrong, but given the proximity of Leeds & Barnsley I'd guess they would be rivals and the knives would be out for him from the off. I'd be amazed if any Leeds fan had a good word to say about an ex failed manager who also happened to manage one of their rivals.

Agreed - he impressed me.

Agreed - he impressed me.

Not saying your mates wrong, but given the proximity of Leeds & Barnsley I'd guess they would be rivals and the knives would be out for him from the off. I'd be amazed if any Leeds fan had a good word to say about an ex failed manager who also happened to manage one of their rivals.

And if you're looking from learning from mistakes (although 4 months isn't really a fair period to judge) He's brought Robbie Stockdale in as his assistant instead of Jamie Clapham who was with him at Leeds.

Benitez doesn’t rant and rave ..excellent manager .
I got the feeling from his interview that Heckers will be a good tactician , an intelligent motivator and will see right through Hanlon , Stevenson and Marciano ..
The one major thing that needs really really really drummed into him is the importance of beating Hearts .
Because of the woeful run we had against them of however many games without a win a few years back - My first priority in any game against Hearts is not to lose 7-0 or any other configuration of that scoreline that could be justifiably deemed even worse .
That 5-1 beating at Hampden a few years ago in the cup final could have been 10 + if half the Heart’s team on the day knew of the significance of giving us a real doing !
That reads like a post that could have been lifted straight from Kickback where they are obsessed with us. There's never been a great deal of difference between Hibs and Hearts over the years. Whilst it's great to put one over a derby rival, it's hardly a 'step away from the cliff edge' if we lose to them.

Surprised at folk having doubts because of his interview skills and accent but wanted Stevie Clarke as our manager, he's the most boring person in Scotland in interviews...except when you mention Sevco.

I think he presented himself well, but I'm used to that Yorkshire/Lancashire dull tone.

Welcome, Paul.
Agree completely, it's just bizarre - what the fcuk has his voice got to do with anything?? My own memory of Stubbs was a sort of polite-sounding guy who doled out the usual managerial cliches, for instance? And Steve Clarke is absolutely the most dour, monotone man in the history of mankind - what matters is how he gets his players performing. The Lennons/Mourinhos of the world are all very well when things are going swimmingly, but they're toxic when they're not - I for one am glad to hear someone who sounds like Hibs are not all about him and his "ambitions".

Welcome Paul, looking forward to welcoming you on Saturday!

Agree completely, it's just bizarre - what the fcuk has his voice got to do with anything?? My own memory of Stubbs was a sort of polite-sounding guy who doled out the usual managerial cliches, for instance? And Steve Clarke is absolutely the most dour, monotone man in the history of mankind - what matters is how he gets his players performing. The Lennons/Mourinhos of the world are all very well when things are going swimmingly, but they're toxic when they're not - I for one am glad to hear someone who sounds like Hibs are not all about him and his "ambitions".

Welcome Paul, looking forward to welcoming you on Saturday!
Indeed. I suspect that he won't feel the same need to "reconsider his position"...

I wonder how big the hit is?
It wouldn't surprise me if Gary Parker ended up with a bigger pay off than Lennon.

I am guessing in the dark that it was very high pay of for both of them as Lennon has sounded very cheery in the one interview he has given post the "mutual consent" giving it the "great time, great club" nonsense though fair enough if you just got £150,000 to GTF for having a screaming match with your boss.

He has direct access to every newspaper and TV hack in the land many of whom are his mates and drinking buddies and Sutton in particular would have been right in there if Lennon tipped him the wink he was being short changed.

He has bound to have taken some hit but the closing Hibs statement could easily have been written by Lennon and Parker themselves as it was everything they could have wanted which indicates their people were calling the shots the whole way.

Every penny the pair of them got comes straight out of next years and PHB's transfer budget and its such a pity football works like that.

Last edited:
Indeed. I suspect that he won't feel the same need to "reconsider his position"...
Though he may invoke clauses in his contract only signed a few days ago and join ones rivals!!

Though he may invoke clauses in his contract only signed a few days ago and join ones rivals!!
:gigglle:

Interesting interview with Hammill.

If true that he's turned down other job opportunities then it implies he wants this job.

Yes indeed Sir Shrink! Stubbs has a condition called exotropia/esotropia!!!! :0:

Every day's a school day on the Boince!

Interesting interview with Hammill.

If true that he's turned down other job opportunities then it implies he wants this job.
He turned down Nottingham Forest and Sunderland when he was Barnsley manager.

The Sunderland 'till I die documentary is one of the best football docs I have ever seen. Absolutely superb. Stockdale came over very well in it. He was promoted by Moyes from Youth coach to first team coach and three times has had to fill in as caretaker manager. I think it's a bit of a coup for us to get such a highly rated coach.

Interesting that he appears to have done no external media yet, and Hibs have kept the announcement very much in house. I can’t quite remember how Lennon was announced - I remember there being a crowd of fans and SSN outside East Mains, but don’t think that was at the confirmation.

Wonder how much this has to do with recent media reporting. A siege mentality right now would be no bad thing...

Of course I’ll probably hit reply as he starts his press conference...

Interesting that he appears to have done no external media yet, and Hibs have kept the announcement very much in house. I can’t quite remember how Lennon was announced - I remember there being a crowd of fans and SSN outside East Mains, but don’t think that was at the confirmation.

Wonder how much this has to do with recent media reporting. A siege mentality right now would be no bad thing...

Of course I’ll probably hit reply as he starts his press conference...
Weirdly, a fair few of those at EM for Lennon were Celtc fans from Tranent. True story...

This thread has been viewed 47390 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50