Harp Mosaic

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
The harp mosaic was first offered to the club in 2002 and enthusiastically accepted by then Chairman Malcolm McPherson. However there was a change of regime and it became obvious that nothing was going to be done with the mosaic so it was taken back around 2004. Years later a chance remark about the mosaic by @1875 led me to contact him and in 2015 it was gifted by the St Patrick's branch to Tom Farmer to mark our 140th anniversary. Once again the club had the opportunity to place the mosaic on permanent public display but once again it didn't do so. It's only my speculation but my worst suspicion is that Hibs want to appease bigots outside the club while ignoring the deeply-felt wishes of some of its own supporters, and not for the first time.

Its always been my own suspicion too M. Big G, myself and other delegates from St Pats even met representatives of the club to agree a location in the West Stand. From memory I am sure we even offered to pay to have it installed.

paigntonhibby

Private Member
Reaction score
I think they are worried we will be seen as an east coast Celtic if we embrace our Irishness too much
Tae be fair the majority of our supporters dinnae want tae be seen as east coast Celtic, personally I,d rather see the club badge in prominent display as IMO it represents who we are better. It shows the Irish legacy and where we are now ,an all inclusive non sectarian Scottish club

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
Tae be fair the majority of our supporters dinnae want tae be seen as east coast Celtic, personally I,d rather see the club badge in prominent display as IMO it represents who we are better. It shows the Irish legacy and where we are now ,an all inclusive non sectarian Scottish club

I think the difficulty is that we seem too keen to brush away the history of our club, hide it and pretend it never happened.

I don’t think anyone bar the odd crackpot wants to see us as a purer version of Celtic, but once you start wiping away why the club was formed and key parts of its rich history you lose its essence and it’s fabric. Imho.

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
I don't know any Hibs fan who sees us as East Coast Celtic. Bigots amongst the Hundogs and Merricks may see that. Who cares what they think? Hibs have pandered to the Hundogs too much in the.past for my liking.
I think that if the Ballingarry event had not been at such an advanced stage , this administration would have accomodated the Harp Mosaic at Easter Road. I don't think for a moment they have any truck with or given a thought to that particular theory, exemplified by the Clubs presence and speaking at the Harp ceremony, in the shape of well respected Hibernian Director, Stephen Dunn, which will no doubt be reported in both Scottish and Irish media.

BIG G

paigntonhibby

Private Member
Reaction score
I think the difficulty is that we seem too keen to brush away the history of our club, hide it and pretend it never happened.

I don’t think anyone bar the odd crackpot wants to see us as a purer version of Celtic, but once you start wiping away why the club was formed and key parts of its rich history you lose its essence and it’s fabric. Imho.
I don’t think anybody’s trying to brush away the history or why the club was formed I just think the club badge represents us more, the harp for the Irish legacy, Edinburgh and Leith

Emerald Harp

New radge
Reaction score
Great thread as is the one on .net about the upcoming event in Ballingarry and the debate over the harp and whatever happened to the original mosaic.
The issue is raised again and i understand there has been deputations in the past to the club to have a mosaic harp prominently displayed at the Holy Ground.
I trust Ron Gordon would embrace the desire of thousands of Hibernians to allow this.
To Big G and all involved
Have a memorable time in Ballingarry and well done on your efforts

Mick

JFP1302

Addiewell HSC
Private Member
Reaction score
I don't know any Hibs fan who sees us as East Coast Celtic. Bigots amongst the Hundogs and Merricks may see that. Who cares what they think? Hibs have pandered to the Hundogs too much in the.past for my liking.
I think that if the Ballingarry event had not been at such an advanced stage , this administration would have accomodated the Harp Mosaic at Easter Road. I don't think for a moment they have any truck with or given a thought to that particular theory, exemplified by the Clubs presence and speaking at the Harp ceremony, in the shape of well respected Hibernian Director, Stephen Dunn, which will no doubt be reported in both Scottish and Irish media.

BIG G
They not west coast hibs 👀

GORDONSMITH7

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Private Member
Reaction score

Jamie

Radger than Radge
Admin
Reaction score
Will try spot them from the top o the Forth Rail Bridge 😆

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Private Member
Reaction score
It's something Hibs should be shouting from the rooftops.
Ignore the bigots and reclaim our roots without the nonsense celtc pander too

Emerald Harp

New radge
Reaction score
The Pride of Ballingarry.
Great day for the St Patrick's Hibees and our Irish brothers and sisters for their hard work in making this all happen.

I hope our club custodians recognise that something similar at the Holy Ground would be welcomed by most supporters of the club .
Something that many have called on/desired for many years.
Its time to name the West Stand after our founder .

GGTTH
HGSP

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
The Pride of Ballingarry.
Great day for the St Patrick's Hibees and our Irish brothers and sisters for their hard work in making this all happen.

I hope our club custodians recognise that something similar at the Holy Ground would be welcomed by most supporters of the club .
Something that many have called on/desired for many years.

GGTTH
HGSP

That was what we tried to do, someone somewhere within the club was against it, of that I have no doubt.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here

This thread has been viewed 2887 times.

Support the Site!

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£46.00