• Welcome to the New - DNS Propagation should be completed by now for all. If you are seeing this message you are in the right place.
    GGTTH

Greg Stewart & Lewis Moult

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
F all else to report so Speculate countless clubs may consider a move in 4months

I'll sit on tenterhooks till then

Zab

Admin
Moult to Preston

No doubt he’s a good player and would fit into our team, but he’d have cost a lot in wages (as it turns out way more than we’d pay).

I’d rather we gave Oli Shaw a run in the team that pay over the odds for a striker in the January window.

Sir Shrink

Retired Radge
I’m not that bothered about missing out on Moult. He hasn’t a great record prior to Motherwell and he may have enjoyed a purple patch only to return to average next season.

He’s also a bit of an elbow merchant which I don’t particularly enjoy seeing.

Greenmachine

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
No doubt he’s a good player and would fit into our team, but he’d have cost a lot in wages (as it turns out way more than we’d pay).

I’d rather we gave Oli Shaw a run in the team that pay over the odds for a striker in the January window.

What Hibs have try to do better in the future is to be able to scout the "Louis Moults" of this world in the same way that Motherwell appear to have done. They sourced a gem of a striker playing in the lower leagues in England for Wrexham and managed to persuade him to come up and play in Scotland for few years. They ended up with a prolific SPFL goalscorer on their books and they will also get some money for him in a transfer fee in January. Once players are already established playing in the top league in Scotland it is very difficult then for a club like Hibs to sign them because their wage demands and value will have rocketed to such an extent that other more wealthier clubs then become aware of his abilities. Much better to discover the player ourselves before anyone else does, then we benefit from having a great player who we can then sell on and make some money from. To be fair, we kind of done this with John McGinn. Another classic example was Leigh Griffiths whom Hibs had on our books as a 16 year old but due to his apparent suspect "attitude" quickly dispensed with. Once he then makes it somewhere else he goes outwith our reach as has now happened. We actually done really well to get him on loan for a couple of seasons. I know for a fact that we already do have a very good scouting network but IMO in future we need to invest more in this and cover more ground particularly in England's lower leagues.

RE Oli Shaw: Let's not put too much pressure on the lad at this stage. He has only recently broken through to the first team and he still has a lot to learn. There is a danger after scoring two goals against Celtic that fans will expect him to now push on, play regularly and score a bucketload as he has done in the development league. I think he is a real talent in the making and is clearly a natural goalscorer. I just hope Lennon eases him in gently and his confidence isn't affected if he has a bad game or misses a good chance. We do seem to be nurturing him, Porteous and Murray in the right way to be fair. It's just great to see some real talent now coming through from the revamped youth academy.

Zab

Admin
What Hibs have try to do better in the future is to be able to scout the "Louis Moults" of this world in the same way that Motherwell appear to have done. They sourced a gem of a striker playing in the lower leagues in England for Wrexham and managed to persuade him to come up and play in Scotland for few years. They ended up with a prolific SPFL goalscorer on their books and they will also get some money for him in a transfer fee in January. Once players are already established playing in the top league in Scotland it is very difficult then for a club like Hibs to sign them because their wage demands and value will have rocketed to such an extent that other more wealthier clubs then become aware of his abilities. Much better to discover the player ourselves before anyone else does, then we benefit from having a great player who we can then sell on and make some money from. To be fair, we kind of done this with John McGinn. Another classic example was Leigh Griffiths whom Hibs had on our books as a 16 year old but due to his apparent suspect "attitude" quickly dispensed with. Once he then makes it somewhere else he goes outwith our reach as has now happened. We actually done really well to get him on loan for a couple of seasons. I know for a fact that we already do have a very good scouting network but IMO in future we need to invest more in this and cover more ground particularly in England's lower leagues.

RE Oli Shaw: Let's not put too much pressure on the lad at this stage. He has only recently broken through to the first team and he still has a lot to learn. There is a danger after scoring two goals against Celtic that fans will expect him to now push on, play regularly and score a bucketload as he has done in the development league. I think he is a real talent in the making and is clearly a natural goalscorer. I just hope Lennon eases him in gently and his confidence isn't affected if he has a bad game or misses a good chance. We do seem to be nurturing him, Porteous and Murray in the right way to be fair. It's just great to see some real talent now coming through from the revamped youth academy.

I agree with that, and I think Simon Murray is that kind of gamble (has qualities but is a bit rough around the edges).

It’s not about heaping pressure on Oli Shaw as much as it is about giving him an opportunity - we’re not throwing him in because we’re desperate, it’s becuase he’s clearly worked hard off the pitch on his physicality to go with his obvious eye for goal and has earned his opportunity.

The coaching staff at Hibs seem to be doing a good job of nurturing talent, while Lennon & Parker can clearly give a player confidence and help them work on their game (Boyle’s development this season, McGinn adding the long shots & passses to his game are good examples of this).

aggie

Justified Radge
we’re not throwing him in because we’re desperate, it’s because he’s clearly worked hard off the pitch on his physicality to go with his obvious eye for goal and has earned his opportunity.

This is an important point (and correct).

There's a huge difference between a desperate manager pitching laddies into a desperate scenario, and a manager in a good place who is swithering over giving a start to a youngster that is forcing his way into a successful, well-functioning team.

In the former scenario, a 19-yr old is basically expected to rescue a team. In the latter, they are given a chance to shine, but if they find it difficult then they can be taken out of the team at any time (and in fact may simply be forced out by other more experienced players in form).

Maybe a potentially intense fixture against the Hun is not the ideal scenario to be starting him, but he must be close if Lennon was ready to start him against Celtc. Defo ready to come on if we are chasing the game, and has got to be close to a start against, say, Ross County or Killie.

Good problem to have, really!

Zab

Admin

There's a huge difference between a desperate manager pitching laddies into a desperate scenario, and a manager in a good place who is swithering over giving a start to a youngster that is forcing his way into a successful, well-functioning team.

In the former scenario, a 19-yr old is basically expected to rescue a team. In the latter, they are given a chance to shine, but if they find it difficult then they can be taken out of the team at any time (and in fact may simply be forced out by other more experienced players in form).

Maybe a potentially intense fixture against the Hun is not the ideal scenario to be starting him, but he must be close if Lennon was ready to start him against Celtc. Defo ready to come on if we are chasing the game, and has got to be close to a start against, say, Ross County or Killie.

Yeah it’s a good place to be in, developing players from a position of strength should give Shaw, Murray & Porteous a really good chance of making it.

Dub

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

In my opinion scenario 1 set Harris back a couple of years.

SuperTortolano

Legendary Radge
For me the likes of Harris and Stanton didn't have the right mindset to succeed at a big club. What Butcher did was nothing short of disgraceful, but that shouldn't make or break a player. I always point to Cummings. He has more desire and bottle than most of that youth team put together. Here's a lad that barely scored in his first season of top flight football, and missed the penalty that sent us down. Lad dusts himself down and comes back bigger and better. Our youth set up has been soft as shite for years, here's hoping Lennon can change that.

Zab

Admin
For me the likes of Harris and Stanton didn't have the right mindset to succeed at a big club. What Butcher did was nothing short of disgraceful, but that shouldn't make or break a player. I always point to Cummings. He has more desire and bottle than most of that youth team put together. Here's a lad that barely scored in his first season of top flight football, and missed the penalty that sent us down. Lad dusts himself down and comes back bigger and better. Our youth set up has been soft as shite for years, here's hoping Lennon can change that.

That’s a good point - some lads, like Cummings, have a real natural confidence. Others need to learn it, which is where I think our youth set up failed the likes of Harris.

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage
SUPPORT THE SITE!
Monthly Goal: £107.00
Donations so far: £50.00

Unread Posts