• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Gary Smith

Smith & Fenwick we’re both underrated but both players were important players in our defence.
Thought he was better than Fenwick who was very limited but did a job. GS another who sadly came to us late in his career. A good player who is still fondly remembered by most Hibees.

Thought he was better than Fenwick who was very limited but did a job. GS another who sadly came to us late in his career. A good player who is still fondly remembered by most Hibees.

Don’t agree with your Fenwick comment as he was an important part of our defence along with Smith.

Gary Smith was a very dependable player, his experience was vital during that period where the younger players were coming through. We got him near the end or his career, a bit like McGregor.

We actually replaced him well with Chris Hogg, who was equally consistent and reliable.

A good honest pro, worthy of his POTY award. Like Fenwick though, made to look even better when playing alongside Sauzee.
“Made” to look better?
No, I think he got better playing next to Sauzee, he was a very decent player anyway

A solid dependable player who was rarely spectacular but more importantly as a defender he didn't make that many mistakes or give away howlers.

Must have played for the best part of 5 years at Hibs and pound for pound one of the real value for money signings in an era dominated by so many fly by night chancers taking advantage of the money being thrown recklessly at Scottish football at the time.

Don’t agree with your Fenwick comment as he was an important part of our defence along with Smith.
I remember Fenwick being good for one season and then when Sauzee left his side he was very average. Each to there own.

A solid dependable player who was rarely spectacular but more importantly as a defender he didn't make that many mistakes or give away howlers.

Must have played for the best part of 5 years at Hibs and pound for pound one of the real value for money signings in an era dominated by so many fly by night chancers taking advantage of the money being thrown recklessly at Scottish football at the time.

Totally agree. Not spectacular but very solid and dependable. Unlike quite a few players who've played for us since he left ...

I remember Fenwick being good for one season and then when Sauzee left his side he was very average. Each to there own.

fenwick was shabbily treated by hibs - took a pay cut for a contract extension and was frozen out. I thought he was an excellent if limited player. Limited players who know their limits and perform consistently are like gold dust.

Just posting this thread about Gary Smith to see what the rest of you thought of him when he played for Hibernian a few years back. I thought Gary Smith was a good player for us and i think he could walk into our current team if he was younger). Whats your views on Gary Smith and has any bouncers got pics of him in his Hibs days?
@brianmc must be that guy who to sit in front of us in the old East

Yeah agree. Fenwick looked pretty lost without Franck but Gary was, while understandably diminished, still a really solid centre half.

I suppose he was a bit slow and old fashioned but I think he'd easily be in our team now if he was 28.

This thread has been viewed 6416 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back