• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Gary Smith

DeLaCruz

Private Member
Reaction score
Just posting this thread about Gary Smith to see what the rest of you thought of him when he played for Hibernian a few years back. I thought Gary Smith was a good player for us and i think he could walk into our current team if he was younger). Whats your views on Gary Smith and has any bouncers got pics of him in his Hibs days?

better player than caldwell in their last season, probably should have played more games, probably should have skippered the side. Not sure he'd walk into the present team.

Solid.

Never seemed to do anything spectacular but the word solid seems to describe him to me.

No pics im afraid, wasnt that big a fan of his to keep pics of him!

Just posting this thread about Gary Smith to see what the rest of you thought of him when he played for Hibernian a few years back. I thought Gary Smith was a good player for us and i think he could walk into our current team if he was younger). Whats your views on Gary Smith and has any bouncers got pics of him in his Hibs days?

I really liked him. I remember when he first signed he was solid beside Sauzee but when Franck got injured he (Smith) seemed nervous and dodgy but he progressed from there and was a great signing.

Incidentally I used to hate it when the Aberdeen fans booed him because we got him on a free because they bombed him out. I'd have understood it if he'd jumped ship but not when he's told he's no longer wanted at the club.

Good, but limited just like Fenwick I suppose. Sauzee definitely brought out the best in him.

I thought he was good player for hibs, He was at cowdenbeth(sp) when mixu was there but not heard much about him since and surely bit old still to be playing

Season ticket holder in the FF Lower with his bairns.:worthy

I thought he was very good for us. His legs went though in his final year at ER.

Solid.

Never seemed to do anything spectacular but the word solid seems to describe him to me.

No pics im afraid, wasnt that big a fan of his to keep pics of him!

Thats pretty much the same way i remember him...I still dont think it was hand ball against Hibs/Smith in the Scottish cup final :banger:

did a great job for , rarely put a foot wrong without ever being spectacular, would happily see another player in the same mold as him (though think we do in Hogg) never seemed to get the paudits he deserved, any idea where he is now?:dunno:

I think Gary Smith would of played at a higher level than he did if he had pace, that was his one weakness, other than that a good solid centre half for Hibs

I think Gary Smith would of played at a higher level than he did if he had pace, that was his one weakness, other than that a good solid centre half for Hibs

He played in France for Rennes..

Are you his laddie?

Are you his laddie?

You see them in Porty from time to time.

The boys are a bit wee for the bounce yet.

Could be Gary himself mind!

sherlock smiley

Good, but limited just like Fenwick I suppose. Sauzee definitely brought out the best in him.

Agree with this. A good solid professional who always gave his best. I thought his distribution was a little poor.

I think Hibs should be aiming at someone a slight level higher so no. I wouldn't call him a stick-on for the present team.

Hello chums.

Think I'm right in saying he won the bounce player of the year award in 2002 or 03. Jamie will have some sort of visual evidence in the gallery somewhere.

Heard he's a fireman these days!

I thought he was a decent player for us, Sauzee helped bring out his best. Agree with the "solid" type description, kept it simple.

I do remember him hitting the bar from miles out against gers at ER though??? don't know why that sticks out in my mind.... just does

Gary established the UK's No. 1 Bamboo Import company and supplies both Edinburgh Zoo and the Scottish Parliament.

A good solid pro.

ive heard the same thing

Strange end to his Hibs career IIRC.

Gary announced that he had been released at the end of his contract, and had found another club ( RR, EF :dunno:)

Then Mowbray announced that he had intended to offer him a new contract after all :banger: A bit messy.

I thought he was an excellent player. Did things the simply way. Lives in Porty just up from the daisy park IIRC. Argyle Crescent of something like that. Uli Laursen lived opposite him when he played at ER.

He is definitely a Firefighter with Lothian and Borders now. My mate who works there has seen him around.

Hello chums.

Think I'm right in saying he won the bounce player of the year award in 2002 or 03. Jamie will have some sort of visual evidence in the gallery somewhere.

Indeed 2002/2003 Hibeesbounce player of the year. Doo was held at the auld St.Mary's Star of the Sea Hall. Player of the year for the comment 'moonface' alone shoftly after Williamson had left the building.

His son jordon has signed for hibs at under 11s. Gary is a fireofficer. He chaneged career after he was muckedabout with cowdenbeath.:Bible:

Suprised to hear of his career change. I would have thought that clubs would be lining up to offer him a coaching/management role.

I thought he was an excellent player when he signed, I'm sure he was ever present at the back in the season we finished third with McLeish in charge. He played left back did he not? I'm sure he was left footed too. :glassraise:

Didn't Gary Smith score the winner (one of his only ever goals for us?) versus Dundee United in a 3-2 win in Mowbray's first season? Pretty crucial win near the end of the season :dunno:

Didn't Gary Smith score the winner (one of his only ever goals for us?) versus Dundee United in a 3-2 win in Mowbray's first season? Pretty crucial win near the end of the season :dunno:

Yeah, I think the video of that goal has been uploaded to yootoob. I'm sure I remember watching it on there.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43eW6aS8Zk"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43eW6aS8Zk[/ame]

The last 10 mins of the match in which Gary scores for us. The goal is scored around halfway through the video. :detective:

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the video of that goal has been uploaded to yootoob. I'm sure I remember watching it on there.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43eW6aS8Zk

The last 10 mins of the match in which Gary scores for us. :detective:

:thumbgrin

The last 10 mins of the match in which Gary scores for us. The goal is scored around halfway through the video. :detective:

The crowd effects in that vid are brilliant :applause:

Are you his laddie?

haha no im not.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F43eW6aS8Zk

how loud was it when smith scored

It's because they have removed that bampot Archie Macpherson from the commentary position. Woooof :rollfloor.

His son jordon has signed for hibs at under 11s. Gary is a fireofficer. He chaneged career after he was muckedabout with cowdenbeath.:Bible:

Seen him coaching a young leith athletic team a few times so sure he's still involved in the sport,even if it is at a lower level

One of those strange favourite moments as a Hibs fan was Smiths last gasp goal against Dundee Utd, the elation followed by the hilarity of the whole thing was excellent. He looked totally stunned that he'ld scored a goal.

Let's not remember the week after that game though...

A good honest pro, worthy of his POTY award. Like Fenwick though, made to look even better when playing alongside Sauzee.

The youtube vid posted is great the atmosphere sounds pretty good aswell.

Hello chums.

?

Indeed 2002/2003 Hibeesbounce player of the year. Doo was held at the auld St.Mary's Star of the Sea Hall. Player of the year for the comment 'moonface' alone shoftly after Williamson had left the building.

Good player and a Firefighter in Edinburgh now

Superb and underated Hibs player. I like he is a Hibby to this day.

Smith & Fenwick we’re both underrated but both players were important players in our defence.

This thread has been viewed 6429 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50