game v huns in 70's? (1 Viewer)

hibeeshug

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
remember going to game midweek afternoon at Easter Road as there was power cuts during evenings in early 70's. Anyone else remember it?

AkHibby

Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Did a runner from Leith Academy to go if I remember correctly. Cannae mind the score now likes. Near end of the season?

Reactions: moathibby

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
Yup!

I skipped school to be there with a few mates and I don't think any of us had any money!

The most memorable bit was we were all in Leith Academy blazers, blue, and quite a few Hibs supporters thought we were dodgy huns! How Hibees didn't know we were from the school down the road I don't know!

Leith Academy pre dates Hibs by around 300 years. So I can understand why it wasn't the green of Hibs. If I recall correctly the original Leith trams were black and white, perhaps Shrink can confirm?

It was only then I wondered why Leith Academy wore blue and I've never found out since. Probably something to do with the sea but the Firth of Froth is rarely blue!

tricky

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Did we play Partick Thistle on a midweek afternoon when new stands behind goals were getting built mid 90s? Got a vague memory of attending this game.

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Can mind playing Celtic midweek sin floodlights in the mid-90’s while the South & FF stands were being built, something like a 5pm KO. We beat Hearts 3-1 around then too although that was on a Saturday.

moathibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Yup!

I skipped school to be there with a few mates and I don't think any of us had any money!

The most memorable bit was we were all in Leith Academy blazers, blue, and quite a few Hibs supporters thought we were dodgy huns! How Hibees didn't know we were from the school down the road I don't know!

Leith Academy pre dates Hibs by around 300 years. So I can understand why it wasn't the green of Hibs. If I recall correctly the original Leith trams were black and white, perhaps Shrink can confirm?

It was only then I wondered why Leith Academy wore blue and I've never found out since. Probably something to do with the sea but the Firth of Froth is rarely blue!
Didnae know you went to Leithy?

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score
Didnae know you went to Leithy?
I don't think it's ever been brought up in conversation before so there's never been cause to mention it.

Maybe we should have a Lost Bounce forum, akin to Lost Edinburgh on pussbook, to reminisce over flares, Friends Reunited, Commodore 64 games, Cinderella Rockefellers, Fags and Matches etc!

Oh aye ... and you minesweeping old posts lol ;-)

Westside Green

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Yup!

I always thought it was to do with the colours of the saltire. St Andrews being the house I was in.

The blue and white on the coat of arms more likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Yup!

I took a half day off for that, told the boss some sob story to get the time off.

If I recall correctly the original Leith trams were black and white, perhaps Shrink can confirm?
I can confirm you were looking at a black and white photograph.

Feckin radge.
:gigglle:

Leith1975

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Did we play Partick Thistle on a midweek afternoon when new stands behind goals were getting built mid 90s? Got a vague memory of attending this game.
There was definitely a game on one midweek during the day. I was at Leith Academy and at that time you went to the Norton Park annex behind the main stand for first and second year. There was a game going on while we were at school. That building closed that year and we all moved down to the main school at the foot of Easter Road. We used to see the players going into the stadium a lot.

moathibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
There was definitely a game on one midweek during the day. I was at Leith Academy and at that time you went to the Norton Park annex behind the main stand for first and second year. There was a game going on while we were at school. That building closed that year and we all moved down to the main school at the foot of Easter Road. We used to see the players going into the stadium a lot.
I went to Leithy when it was Norton Park Annexe,1974/75,we could stand at the entrance and get players autographs at play time.Still got Des Bremner's somewhere.

WJC1848

Bounce Radge
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
FAO Jack
Don't know how to copy and paste a pdf but it tells you in here page 26 that it is the blue and white from the coat of arms.
I was at Leith Academy when that booklet was published, 1960, to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the school. The school played a large part in the Leith Pageant that year. I just happened to show that very booklet to a coupla mates a few weeks ago, and so you making it available on line is a great asset, for which I thank you.

Reactions: Westside Green

Leith1975

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
I went to Leithy when it was Norton Park Annexe,1974/75,we could stand at the entrance and get players autographs at play time.Still got Des Bremner's somewhere.
Yeah it was the same when I was there. I’m pretty sure the ticket office used to be where we did woodwork and technical drawing. I was only there for 1 year as they closed it down at the end of my first year. Funnily enough they closed the main school the year I left as well as they moved to the new school.

Jack

Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Reaction score

madhibby5

Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I remember going to a Hibs game v Gers at Easter Road in 70s and it was midweek maybe 2pm due to power cuts. It was a two legged affair in League Cup I think? We had lost the first leg 3-1 again I think, game at Easter Road was 0-0? I was at Secondary School at the time - Boroughmuir and teachers made all sorts of threats to ensure attendance/non bunking off. More of a Jambo’s school as not too far from Tynecastle but I did go to the game with a few Hibby mates. Iain Munro the Hibs player was one of our part time gym teachers at that time.

BB4ALL

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Reaction score
remember going to game midweek afternoon at Easter Road as there was power cuts during evenings in early 70's. Anyone else remember it?
I remember that game against Rangers was a Wednesday afternoon with McLoy, Greig, Jardine, Parlane and company. That was Turnbulls Tornadoes days and I remember John Blackley taking out Parlane after Parlane had fouled him earlier.

Reactions: moathibby

moathibby

Private Member
Bounce Radge
Reaction score
Yeah it was the same when I was there. I’m pretty sure the ticket office used to be where we did woodwork and technical drawing. I was only there for 1 year as they closed it down at the end of my first year. Funnily enough they closed the main school the year I left as well as they moved to the new school.
Aye the ticket office was the old techy block.We were taught,woodwork by a Mr Wood, who also took PE,he was an ex Hun goalie,who made a point of pulling down the laddies shorts to see if they were wearing pants,dirty fucker!

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Reaction score
Aye the ticket office was the old techy block.We were taught,woodwork by a Mr Wood, who also took PE,he was an ex Hun goalie,who made a point of pulling down the laddies shorts to see if they were wearing pants,dirty fucker!
Pretty sure it wasn't Chris Woods - only Hun goalie I can recall with a similar name.
You sure he wasn't just trying to impress you as another way of getting into your pants?

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel