• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Favourite Live Album

Surprised nobody's mentioned it, but

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

Spliced together from two nights, which might put some folk off here, but absolutely incredible gig video/album. Plenty of brilliant single gigs from that era uploaded to YT that would dismiss the idea there was any need for touchups.
That live album was released in 1984 and was obviously the soundtrack of the movie.
However, they released a 2 disc, 157 minute live album only 2 years before called
"The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads" which I think is better and well worth a listen.
It captures the band live between 1977 and 1981

Last edited:
Surprised nobody's mentioned it, but

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense.

Spliced together from two nights, which might put some folk off here, but absolutely incredible gig video/album. Plenty of brilliant single gigs from that era uploaded to YT that would dismiss the idea there was any need for touchups.
Was that the one with the big suite? Also Tina Weymouths thighs were no 1.

That live album was released in 1984 and was obviously the soundtrack of the movie.
However, they released a 2 disc, 157 minute live album only 2 years before called
"The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads" which I think is better and well worth a listen.
It captures the band live between 1977 and 1981

Always prefer live records that capture the crowd/venue acoustics over soundboard recordings personally, particularly for something like TH with the touring lineup. The Great Curve sounds pretty dry and studenty on TNOTBITH imo, whereas it's great in the studio and some of the YT live videos - my favourite is the Rome gig that went out on Italian TV - absolutely set your hair on fire.

Also, thinking about live albums with good crowd sound, realised I completely forgot to mention The Long Goodbye (LCD Soundsystem at MSG for their 'last' gig). Stunning record. Particularly the Henry Mancini cover from the encore, about three hours in, absolutely screaming down the mic. Lovely stuff.

Always prefer live records that capture the crowd/venue acoustics over soundboard recordings personally, particularly for something like TH with the touring lineup. The Great Curve sounds pretty dry and studenty on TNOTBITH imo, whereas it's great in the studio and some of the YT live videos - my favourite is the Rome gig that went out on Italian TV - absolutely set your hair on fire.

Also, thinking about live albums with good crowd sound, realised I completely forgot to mention The Long Goodbye (LCD Soundsystem at MSG for their 'last' gig). Stunning record. Particularly the Henry Mancini cover from the encore, about three hours in, absolutely screaming down the mic. Lovely stuff.
I don't have many music DVD's but do have that 3 disc LCD Soundsystem "Shut Up And Play The Hits" package including the MSG gig

Here's one I forgot about:
Live! - Status Quo. Recorded at their 'home' venue the Glasgow Apollo in 1976. Was lucky enough to see them there before it was knocked down. And the balconies really did bounce!
A great live band before they became a parody of themselves. Even John Peel championed them back in the day.

Last edited:
Bowie - Stage (the cd version preferably)
The Who - Live at Leeds
Karen Dalton - Shucking Sugar
Joy division - Still

Can’t think of any more off hand

Somewhere around 35 years ago (give or take) I gave a friend of mine a loan of my copy of Stage. Forgot all about it.
Fast forward 35 years and I reconnected with this dude on Facebook.
First thing he said ‘I still have your copy of Stage’.
Next time I’m over we are meeting to return the album to its rightful owner.

R.E.M. - Live at the Olympia is a beaut and actually ticks the box of double-album too. Recorded during a 5 night residency in Dublin they played a load of stuff from their early IRS albums that they hadn't performed live since the early 80's. Their more polished Warner Bros material (mainly) takes a back seat the folksy, jangly stuff from their first 5 albums. They would then go on to play a lot of this during what would be their last ever tour promoting the Accelerate album.

Just listened to this. It's brilliant. Considering it is essentially a rehearsal, they sound really tight and stripped down. Loved hearing tracks from Fables of the Reconstruction and the whole of Chronic Town. Never heard that played live before. Cheers for the recommendation.

Live in the flesh as I have said previously is better than any live Album/LP. Live music in a bar or anywhere, no matter if local, brilliant or not can make for a splendid night out. Keep Music Live.

Luckily I've seen many of the above live.....

1,2,3,4,5,9 and 10.

Not adverse to take in tributes. Gonae see an ELO tribute band in the Brunton Hall, Musselburgh, later this month. Bet you it's splendid.

BIG G

Preservation Halls anyone? I used to go there a lot back in the day. Some excellent local bands and good selection of beers.

On reading this I've just realised I've got a copy of my dad's Charles Floyd's Forest Flower which is him playing live at Monteray.It's got folk on it like Jack de Johnette one of my favourite drummers.It's very good.Must get it taped and back to my mum.

Just listened to this. It's brilliant. Considering it is essentially a rehearsal, they sound really tight and stripped down. Loved hearing tracks from Fables of the Reconstruction and the whole of Chronic Town. Never heard that played live before. Cheers for the recommendation.
It’s good eh? It’s a fairly recent Warner Bros track (from Reveal) but the live version of “I’ve Been High” on that album is also good. As is Kahoutek which follows it. It all adds up to a bit of a dream set list - wish I’d been there! Saw them in Cardiff on the tour that followed though.

Last edited:
It’s good eh? It’s a fairly recent Warner Bros track (from Reveal) but the live version of “I’ve Been High” on that album is also good. As is Kahoutek which follows it. It all adds up to a bit of a dream set list - wish I’d been there! Saw them in Cardiff on the tour that followed though.
I kind of lost touch with then after Around the Sun which was the first album of theirs I didn't buy. Are the last couple any good? Have heard they were a "return to form" as the old cliché goes.

SAHB - Live
Good evening boys & girls it is a gas to be here. Want to introduce you to ma band. the Sensational Alex Harvey Band’

Play Magazine is a terrific album.

I kind of lost touch with then after Around the Sun which was the first album of theirs I didn't buy. Are the last couple any good? Have heard they were a "return to form" as the old cliché goes.
In my opinion.. not really, though they both have good tracks. Accelerate has some pretty cringe stuff on it like “I’m gonna DJ” whereas Collapse into Now is just a bit dull. My favourites off those 2 albums:

Living Well is the Best Revenge
Supernatural Superserious
Mr Richards
Oh My Heart
Mine Smell Like Honey
That Someone is You
Alligator_Aviator_Autopilot_Antimatter (this track is very much marmite with the hardcore R.E.M. fan base!)

I think you can create an amazing playlist off of the post-Bill Berry albums but the albums themselves aren’t that great. Reveal is probably my favourite.

Preservation Halls anyone? I used to go there a lot back in the day. Some excellent local bands and good selection of beers.
Yeah i was there quite a lot late 80’s.
“Blues in trouble” i think they were called… was a fav

Yeah i was there quite a lot late 80’s.
Blues in trouble” i think they were called… was a fav
Hattie, was that the band with the singer who looked a bit like a slimmer Robbie Coltrane?

Last edited:
Yessongs - YES
Cook - PFM
Seconds Out - GENESIS
Slayed Alive - SLADE
A Live Record - CAMEL

Big prog fan so easy choices for me. Yessongs was a huge seller back in the day. Triple album containing tracks from Close to the Edge, Fragile and The Yes Album. The greatest prog band ever performing at their best. Cook covers the band's American tour and includes tracks from Photos of Ghosts, The World Became the World and several tracks sung in Italian. Seconds Out. Collins takes over from Gabriel and does an excellent job on the mighty Suppers Ready. Basically, A Trick of the Tail live and a smattering of other great songs. Slayed Alive. Before their glam/glitter days Slade were well known as a skinhead band and this album reflects their heavier and rockier side. None of their top ten misspelt hits here but rather a collection of songs they were "bangin' out" at the time. A Live Record. Includes the entire The Snow Goose album plus tracks from Camel and Mirage.
Obviously, all of the above have a range of live stuff in their back catalogue so you could argue that their other albums are better as they cover different songs. My choices reflect what I felt when listening to them for the first time and hundreds of times thereafter.

Yessongs - YES
Cook - PFM
Seconds Out - GENESIS
Slayed Alive - SLADE
A Live Record - CAMEL

Big prog fan so easy choices for me. Yessongs was a huge seller back in the day. Triple album containing tracks from Close to the Edge, Fragile and The Yes Album. The greatest prog band ever performing at their best. Cook covers the band's American tour and includes tracks from Photos of Ghosts, The World Became the World and several tracks sung in Italian. Seconds Out. Collins takes over from Gabriel and does an excellent job on the mighty Suppers Ready. Basically, A Trick of the Tail live and a smattering of other great songs. Slayed Alive. Before their glam/glitter days Slade were well known as a skinhead band and this album reflects their heavier and rockier side. None of their top ten misspelt hits here but rather a collection of songs they were "bangin' out" at the time. A Live Record. Includes the entire The Snow Goose album plus tracks from Camel and Mirage.
Obviously, all of the above have a range of live stuff in their back catalogue so you could argue that their other albums are better as they cover different songs. My choices reflect what I felt when listening to them for the first time and hundreds of times thereafter.
I've heard a few PFM songs on some 80s compilation albums and remember being very impressed, especially with the production.

I've heard a few PFM songs on some 80s compilation albums and remember being very impressed, especially with the production.

AC/DC - Live at Donnington 1992
Acdc didn't play Donington in 92 or release a live album of that name.
They did release the Live album recorded on the Razors edge tour with some songs from Donington also a few songs from the Glasgow gig I was at.

Probably If You Want Blood - AC/DC
As an Acdc fan from the age of 11 I love this album.
It is however the least live album ever lol
Whole lotta Rosie for example is just the studio version sped up

I listened to a Joy Division live album from 1980 today.Hate to say it but it's a bit ropey.I saw them support the Buzzcocks in 79 and they were terrific.They actually play much better live on Still.Reading reports of the latest live gigs of New Order playing with the Pet Shop Boys over in the States.Somebody here said they were going.Reports I've read are saying the P.S.B.'s were better than N.O.?

This looks good.
Went to see it at imax.
What a terrible disappointment.
Someone given full access to all the bowie estate material and they managed to fuck it up.
I honestly think I could have done a better job.
Graphically shit
Repetitive
Artsy bollocks.
Great shame as we may never get another definitive bowie documentary

Went to see it at imax.
Someone given full access to all the bowie estate material and they managed to fuck it up.
Graphically shit
Repetitive
Artsy bollocks.
Interesting the hear your opinion on this.
I was looking forward to seeing it as well !
I'll still go.
Mark Kermode the film critic was raving about it...just shows you how people see things differently.

Interesting the hear your opinion on this.
I was looking forward to seeing it as well !
I'll still go.
Mark Kermode the film critic was raving about it...just shows you how people see things differently.
Yip
I posted on a forum here and got pelters.
Like I wasn’t a bowie fan. (Probably a tourist).
I think folk have got caught up in denial as they (as did I) wanted it to be brilliant.
Please post your thoughts after you see it.
There was virtually no material I had not already seen.

Last edited:
Went to see it at imax.
Graphically shit
Repetitive
Artsy bollocks.
Thanks for that Barney.
There are so many poor music documentaries especially the ones with the endless talking heads.

Speaking of Bowie I have recently come into possession of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust without the Spiders from Mars on it.
It's basically the isolated Bowie vocal track(s).
I've just listened to it. A bit dry but for a music anorak or Bowie aficionado it's an interesting listen. I might try and accompany him on guitar at the weekend.

Last edited:
Motorhead - Stage Fright
Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio
AC/DC - Live at River Plate
Europe - Almost Unplugged (some brilliant covers of UFO and Thin Lizzy amongst their own songs)

That's a good choice that hasn't come up to date.
I listened to it a lot in the late 70's.

Acdc didn't play Donington in 92 or release a live album of that name.
They did release the Live album recorded on the Razors edge tour with some songs from Donington also a few songs from the Glasgow gig I was at.
You’re right - I meant when they played the Monsters of Rock festival in 1991.

Thanks for that Barney.
There are so many poor music documentaries especially the ones with the endless talking heads.

Speaking of Bowie I have recently come into possession of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust without the Spiders from Mars on it.
It's basically the isolated Bowie vocal track(s).
I've just listened to it. A bit dry but for a music anorak or Bowie aficionado it's an interesting listen. I might try and accompany him on guitar at the weekend.
Try Life On Mars. That's a cinch to strum along with... 😵‍💫🤯

Try Life On Mars. That's a cinch to strum along with... 😵‍💫🤯
I have a book of the songs but I usually just go on a song chord site and destroy the songs from there.
Usually ends up sounding something like Jimmy Pursey plays Bowie. An 'orrible noise.

I have a book of the songs but I usually just go on a song chord site and destroy the songs from there.
Usually ends up sounding something like Jimmy Pursey plays Bowie. An 'orrible noise.
what a Sham.

Went to see it at imax.
Graphically shit
Repetitive
Artsy bollocks.
That's a shame. Love anything Bowie related. Looked promising.

That's a shame. Love anything Bowie related. Looked promising.
Check it out for yourself sancho
Lots of people loving it
Wasn’t for me tho

Ramones - Its Alive
Sex Pistols - Filthy Lucre
The Jam - Dig The New Breed

I'm not keen on live albums with most doctored with overdubs and patches.
HOWEVER
Jerry Lee Lewis Live at The Star Club Hamburg in 1964 is one of the exceptions.
It's a joyous and wonderful noise from start to finish. A living document of one of the greats.
All killer and no filler.

Cheap trick live at the budokan. The screaming japanese ladies make it an amazing atmosphere and surrender live is spine tingling.

Cheap trick live at the budokan. The screaming japanese ladies make it an amazing atmosphere and surrender live is spine tingling.
Trini Lopez at P.J.'s.
(You had to be there 😀)

Buena Vista Social Club at Carnegie Hall.
Proper musicians.😄

This thread has been viewed 5928 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back