• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Employers Expecting Excess Hours

FifeHibs

Just A Radge
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, at near breaking point at work.

Although lucky to have kept working throughout the pandemic my employer thinks nothing of expecting a 12/14 hour day or 55 - 60 hours a week. Even pre pandemic there was an unhealthy work culture. Have already done my contracted 37.5 hours by mid afternoon today.
No OT no time back.

Is anyone else experiencing the same? A director told us since there is no need to travel to work we can work a few more hours each day.

Pretty much the same as me since lockdown.

Pretty much the same as me since lockdown.
It’s a shambles. HR don’t do anything my MD puts in meetings at 6 in the evening even though I’m logged on at 7. I have even thought about getting signed after being at the doctors twice about stress.

Its the same for millions just now and with most having no unions its a tough one. Ye thought about declining the meetings, I do that. My advice, start work at the time you are paid to. I have tried to do these things since going back this year, its working a bit.

Sorry to poke my nose in , but it's going to get worse now that we have left the EU. We were warned , i hate being lumped in with England

Life's too short for destroying yourself day in, day out in a job where you're likely just a number anyway.

Whilst I'm acutely aware (a) the pandemic has changed most people's working environment, and (b) we've all got bills to pay...

My advice would be to figure out how much you need to earn to happily live on - then say fuck the rest.

There's no point in looking back in 20 years time, after a broken marriage, heart attack and failed relationship with the kids thinking 'but I did this all for you!!'

Happiness shouldn't be about achieving the next promotion, or pay rise or Beamer etc etc

It should be about the relationships you have with those that matter to you and the time spent together NOW. Not at some mythical point in the future.

*Again, with the proviso that you can keep a roof over your head and pay your bills*

Work's not that important.

Work to live not live to work ✌️

You're a long time deid.

If HR are doing fuk all to help and you’ve been to the doctor twice with stress and you’re posting on a fans forum as you’re at “breaking point” then might be time to take some time off as you say.

Maybe they will then take things seriously and more importantly you’ll start to get better.

Life’s too short. Take action before things get worse.

If HR are doing fuk all to help and you’ve been to the doctor twice with stress and you’re posting on a fans forum as you’re at “breaking point” then might be time to take some time off as you say.

Maybe they will then take things seriously and more importantly you’ll start to get better.

Life’s too short. Take action before things get worse.
I know you are correct I’m probably trying to justify to myself keep working.
maybe I have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome. I had done my contracted 37 hours by lunch time today. Unsure if signing off with stress would effect future employment. Currently working in offshore wind cable lay vessels although in office based, vessels are in contact all the time.

Bear in mind that the primary purpose of HR functions is to keep the employer out of court, not to look after the welfare of staff (possibly a cynical view but I stand by it). I'd consider raising the issue through whatever channels exist in the company, presumably conversation with line manager in first instance then a formal grievance process if that doesn't resolve it. Keep notes and copy emails - that's when managers and HR departments get nervous and start worrying about employment tribunals and such.

There's always a risk that they find a way to select you for redundancy if they decide to reduce headcount but in that situation their documented selection criteria and process will need to be impeccable or they'll leave themselves open to legal proceedings. From the sounds of the company it doesn't necessarily seem like the kind of place you'd want to have a long term career in anyway.

As mentioned above it's really a situation that would benefit from union involvement but I assume you're not in one? Is there any chance of organising collective action with the rest of the workforce?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, at near breaking point at work.

Although lucky to have kept working throughout the pandemic my employer thinks nothing of expecting a 12/14 hour day or 55 - 60 hours a week. Even pre pandemic there was an unhealthy work culture. Have already done my contracted 37.5 hours by mid afternoon today.
No OT no time back.

Is anyone else experiencing the same? A director told us since there is no need to travel to work we can work a few more hours each day.
So you're expected to work more than your contracted hours for nothing?

So you're expected to work more than your contracted hours for nothing?

Millions of us do Tatie, it is almost so common its become normal!

A lot of the financial services contracting game is target driven. In order to impress the firm you’re working for the recruitment company dishing out the contracts will agree to ridiculous targets knowing that people have to put in extra hours and are more willing to do so with no commute and no social life. One of them even mentions in the job ad that you will be expected to work additional hours if needed to hit target.

As jobs are scarce and loads are looking there’s so many of them taking advantage further with much lower rates of pay than normal.

Indeed, TUC estimates we work well over £30 billion worth of unpaid hours each year

Truely is a scandel mate!

I think @FifeHibs needs to step back , take a breath and look after no.1 for a wee while. To be brutally honest you sound a bit desperate, thats concern, not criticism .
Take it easy , and stand your ground a bit. I'm sure they need you more than you need them. If nobody in the company is prepared to listen to you, then maybe it is time to look for the exit. Under your terms and timings of course.
Good luck and stay strong.

I think @FifeHibs needs to step back , take a breath and look after no.1 for a wee while. To be brutally honest you sound a bit desperate, thats concern, not criticism .
Take it easy , and stand your ground a bit. I'm sure they need you more than you need them. If nobody in the company is prepared to listen to you, then maybe it is time to look for the exit. Under your terms and timings of course.
Good luck and stay strong.
Thank you I think I have to resign before a serious breakdown or worse. Unsure if putting this on a forum was cry for help or not. Always in a state of panic, wake up shouting and wanting to be sick from work. Fuck this is no way to live

Thank you I think I have to resign before a serious breakdown or worse. Unsure if putting this on a forum was cry for help or not. Always in a state of panic, wake up shouting and wanting to be sick from work. Fuck this is no way to live
Fife please stay strong for yourself and your family. You deserve better than you are getting and from experience when you reach this point it’s clear you need to take action for your own health and well-being. It is no way to life your 100% correct.

Rather than quit, get a doctor to sign you off with stress, keep your income coming in whilst you sort yourself out with something better.

Rather than quit, get a doctor to sign you off with stress, keep your income coming in whilst you sort yourself out with something better.
A company that bad probably doesn't even give you sick pay

I'll start by saying I'm no expert, so please take with a pinch of salt.

Maybe it's worth taking a bit of time to reflect before resigning. Stress and anxiety can manifest in odd ways, so whilst it might feel like the working hours / work environment are at the root of how you feel, they may not be. The situation we're in in the world just now is having all sorts of effects on people. Don't get me wrong, from what you've described there's every chance that it is directly work related, it doesn't sound a good environment at all.

There are some good resources posted on the Mental Health thread, maybe it's worth taking a look at those to see if they may help? If you can find something to help manage the stress and anxiety levels it could help to clear your mind to evaluate dispassionately what your best course of action is in respect of your work.

There is a thread just now about how the bounce started.... and this is what makes the difference.. you get all the craic, heated debates, laughs... but the important thing is, there are a lot of good guys on here.. all welcome and anything goes. All here as good Hibbies and willing to help in what ever way they can.
Hope you get it sorted in your best interests Fife ?

A company that bad probably doesn't even give you sick pay
They are becoming more common ....again.
This will get worse when Johnson and his crew drive a bus through the human rights.
It will be back to the bad old days.
As for the OP, you need to get yourself signed off man, as it's obvious you are stressed to buggery.
You will do yourself and your family more harm if you don't.
No job/ employer should have you in that state.

More progressive employers seem to be adding wellness into their employees working; some offer days off in a year, others I've heard of allow the employee an hour a week off to start later or finish earlier or take a longer lunch break.

Ive heard some interesting stories from friends who work for European companies....their IT is killed at 5pm and doesnt come back on until 8am the following morning. All the evidence shows this makes employees more focussed and productive.

This is where it takes a more pragmatic approach for employers, flogging your employees to death, and screwing every little bit of resource out of them doesn't work. And how many people in the UK have conditions like working at home they have been asking for years and were knocked back, only for it to become okay when it suits the employer?

Last edited:
Feel pretty silly posting it on a forum now. Must have gotten to much to take. I did break down in tears on a call earlier which was getting heated. For 2 years there has always been a promise of getting someone else in. At the same time I’m trying to care for my ma who has Parkinson’s which is pish and suffers from TIAs. Sorry for bringing my woes.

Feel pretty silly posting it on a forum now. Must have gotten to much to take. I did break down in tears on a call earlier which was getting heated. For 2 years there has always been a promise of getting someone else in. At the same time I’m trying to care for my ma who has Parkinson’s which is pish and suffers from TIAs. Sorry for bringing my woes.

Feel free, we are here to help our mates.

As 1875 says, don't be sorry - I hope it helped discussing it.

Don't apologise for posting. You've taken a big step by talking about this. As @1875 and others have said, you now need to talk to your doctor and he will sign you off, giving you the time you need to remove yourself from this stressful situation, without leaving yourself with no income. Good luck, and better health.

Only good will come from you posting this on here. Have a look on the mental health thread, you are not alone , and lots of folk are willing to give advice and support . Don't be shy, if you chat to someone , and the worst case scenario, is it doesn't help you, nothing is lost. You've got to make sure you look after no.1 , otherwise , you are no good to anyone else. Give yourself a break, you sound a decent guy.

Only good will come from you posting this on here. Have a look on the mental health thread, you are not alone , and lots of folk are willing to give advice and support . Don't be shy, if you chat to someone , and the worst case scenario, is it doesn't help you, nothing is lost. You've got to make sure you look after no.1 , otherwise , you are no good to anyone else. Give yourself a break, you sound a decent guy.
Thank you, I will have a read of the page. I have never encountered such a toxic environment. I spoke to a doctor a few weeks ago who was wanting to get me to sign of but the thought being off work and the work load that I’d go back to and the workload made it feel worse. I know there are lots of people who have been made unemployed and are in a worse position than I am. A grown man crying on a works call fuck me. Going to take a walk on the beach tomorrow get some fresh air before the game.
Thank you all who has commented as I have Unfortunately been on edge

Not silly.
You're brave
Admitting there is a problem is the 1st step,very few of us are experts but you'll find opening up helps,the Bounce has your back.
Mental health needs to be viewed in the same way as physical health,you'd see a gp if you had a gammy knee so see them if you've got a gammy napper.
[automerge]1611353069[/automerge]
Life's too short for destroying yourself day in, day out in a job where you're likely just a number anyway.

Whilst I'm acutely aware (a) the pandemic has changed most people's working environment, and (b) we've all got bills to pay...

My advice would be to figure out how much you need to earn to happily live on - then say fuck the rest.

There's no point in looking back in 20 years time, after a broken marriage, heart attack and failed relationship with the kids thinking 'but I did this all for you!!'

Happiness shouldn't be about achieving the next promotion, or pay rise or Beamer etc etc

It should be about the relationships you have with those that matter to you and the time spent together NOW. Not at some mythical point in the future.

*Again, with the proviso that you can keep a roof over your head and pay your bills*

Work's not that important.

Work to live not live to work ✌️

You're a long time deid.
Excellent post and spot on

Last edited:
Hi feel for you Fife Hibs.For anyone looking for advice about what your entitled to at your work,what the law says industrial tribunals etc I think there is a site that you can do further reading.I'ts the Labour Research Department and it can be found here lrdpublications.org.uk/publications.php?pub=BK&iss=2052

How are you this morning?

I've been there @FifeHibs, as have others I know, and let me reassure you there will be a time when all this shit will be behind you. Its a case of finding your way there.

Firstly you have to look after yourself. You can't be doing someone else any good if you're not good yourself. Your first priority is looking after #1. Once you're through this you can start taking care of others again.

To be honest in your position I wouldn't resign. Get through this getting paid and with a full employment record. You can think of where you want to be when its over. Trying to get back into employment over the next who knows how long is going to be difficult and I doubt it would help how you feel.

Get signed off work. Make sure the doctor puts down whats actually the problem. You're not doing yourself or the work any favours by struggling on. I was off for 5 months or so then a phased return. Among other things long walks helped me. I was offered gym membership as well but I just became obsessive with that and at the end of the day I didn't think it was helping. Each to their own :))

I wasn't fixed after this but I was better.

When I went back to work I just made sure I avoided running down the same rabbit holes. After a couple of years I applied for a package that my employer was offering and they gave me it. They said it had nothing to do with what went before but who knows.

Total change of direction now and in such a better place now.

You will find that pretty much everyone on here suggests the option of getting signed off.
It's the only way for you at this time, and as Jack says, ensure your GP has the full story on record.
Life really is ,too short.

Don't apologise mate. See my post on the mental health thread, I've been struggling myself. I was in floods on the phone to a good friend on Thursday, spoke to my GP on Friday and was signed off for a fortnight and prescribed a 7-day course of sleeping pills - I had to address my insomnia, which was probably magnifying all the other things I've been contending with over time.

Look at it this way: the number one cause of death for men under 40 is suicide. Just let that sink in: the number one cause of death. There's a reason for that - as men, we are very reluctant to accept the truth of the adage "a problem shared...". By sharing your feelings as you have, you are making yourself part of the solution to that problem - it's one tiny act, but these have a cumulative effect. As I sit here, I'm silently applauding you.

You've acknowledged - to yourself as much as anything - that you're struggling. Take that next step, and address it with your GP. When I called, I was getting the usual "our appointments are backed up a mile" thing, until I said it was a mental health issue. At that point, the tenor of the conversation changed instantly, and I got a phone appointment within a few hours. Trust me, you'll feel better for being proactive about it, I did.

Stay on here over the weekend, use us as an outlet until you can get a resolution. Dig in, man. I'm right with you - I still feel rubbish, but I'm starting to feel at least like I can see an end to it. You will too.

PS - be assured: what you are feeling is REAL and worthy of attention - you are not "making a meal of it" or anything like that.

Some companies have used the pandemic to their advantage and have almost normalised making people work longer hours for less money simply because they can get away with it.

I left a job during the first lockdown because the CEO made all senior staff take a 10% pay cut and stated she was taking 20%. She clearly didn't know that I signed off payroll and could see she hadn't taken any pay cut.

It all worked out, there are still good companies doing well just now and I've landed on my feet. I'm not going to give advice beyond what you are feeling is totally justified. Now is a time for companies to get behind their staff, if they're taking advantage then fuckem, you deserve and will find better.

This thread has been viewed 2603 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50