• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Electric cars

I'm sold on EVs, I've ordered one. It'll have a range of 350 miles on a single charge for a few quid and do 0-60 in 4s which is, well, unnecessary really.

Given the running costs are lower and performance is better I don't think it'll be too long before we consider petrol/diesel cars as old fashioned.

Clearly there are potential charging problems if you live in a flat or whatever but more and more charging stations are popping up all the time.

It would be a lot more than that I would think.
If you convert the energy from all gas guzzlers into electric it’s astronomical. Every town would need it s own power station 😂
The grid is almost maxed out just now.
Scotland at least, has a step on regarding renewable energy.

Not sure how true that is. Some utilities companies are encouraging charging overnight by providing electricity cheaply then. There's plenty of electricity capacity at non-peak times.

I'm sold on EVs, I've ordered one. It'll have a range of 350 miles on a single charge for a few quid and do 0-60 in 4s which is, well, unnecessary really.
Tesla?

Aye. Model 3

Aye. Model 3
Aye, seen those on recent visit to gretna services 😅, nice cars and range 👌

Aye, seen those on recent visit to gretna services 😅, nice cars and range 👌
And price lol

And price lol

You can get new electric cars from around £15k from Skoda and Seat.

You can get new electric cars from around £15k from Skoda and Seat.
I couldn't see any in my earlier link , most cheaper electrics are like match boxes that would cripple you driving more than 10 miles

Not sure how true that is. Some utilities companies are encouraging charging overnight by providing electricity cheaply then. There's plenty of electricity capacity at non-peak times.
I’m not so sure. Just picture a busy motorway and imagine the power consumption involved. It’s mind blowing. And just now, one charge at night doesn’t cut the mustard for a large minority of drivers.
Technology will of course evolve and maybe soon you will get 500 miles from a full charge.
I think they will have to come up with another fuel for the combustion engine . I’m not convinced electric cars are as green as they think. Batteries alone are not an easy thing to dispose of in a environmentally friendly way.
I may be talking pish. 😂

I’m not so sure. Just picture a busy motorway and imagine the power consumption involved. It’s mind blowing. And just now, one charge at night doesn’t cut the mustard for a large minority of drivers.
Technology will of course evolve and maybe soon you will get 500 miles from a full charge.
I think they will have to come up with another fuel for the combustion engine . I’m not convinced electric cars are as green as they think. Batteries alone are not an easy thing to dispose of in a environmentally friendly way.
I may be talking pish. 😂
I think it'll be the infrastructure that will hold it all back

I may be talking pish. 😂

There are people who need to drive long distances in a single go but I can't remember the last time I did more than a couple of hundred miles in a day and fairly sure thats the same for most.

Batteries and creating new cars isn't very sustainable though, you are right. It's the lesser of two evils though.

There are people who need to drive long distances in a single go but I can't remember the last time I did more than a couple of hundred miles in a day and fairly sure thats the same for most.

Batteries and creating new cars isn't very sustainable though, you are right. It's the lesser of two evils though.
The whole world needs to do it never gonna happen unfortunately

I don’t think there are many cars which get you 200 miles on a single charge. It’s more likely 120 under normal Scottish driving conditions ( I think)
There are many people , especially down south where a 200 mile round commute is the norm. Take for example , a car of 4 Hibbies going to Aberdeen for a game , you would have to stop at least once, maybe twice for at least a hour each time to refuel.
And as @Forzahibs said, the infrastructure just won’t be in place . We are talking millions x10 of chargers. The world would be full of car parks 😭. All built on the green belt nae doubt 😂

I don’t think there are many cars which get you 200 miles on a single charge. It’s more likely 120 under normal Scottish driving conditions ( I think)
There are many people , especially down south where a 200 mile round commute is the norm. Take for example , a car of 4 Hibbies going to Aberdeen for a game , you would have to stop at least once, maybe twice for at least a hour each time to refuel.
And as @Forzahibs said, the infrastructure just won’t be in place . We are talking millions x10 of chargers. The world would be full of car parks 😭. All built on the green belt nae doubt 😂

The car I ordered claims 360 miles. More than enough to take 4 to Aberdeen and back. There are different range levels and sizes of cars, just as there are for petrol/diesel, you just choose one that suits your needs. Ranges at the lower end will keep improving but I appreciate price is an issue for bigger ranges. That said, government tax breaks will ensure take-up continues for the forseeable.

I'm getting a charger in my driveway, there's loads at work and a growing network everywhere. I think this issue is a bit of a crutch for those resistant to change

I'd be wary of buying one through salary sacrifice as I was reading that it will be one of the next revenue raising exercises.

Reactions: Zab
Solar panels etc, the increased electricity for cars..... all "underwritten" by the exisitng coal / nuclear grid.

We cannae switch off our grid, it has to be on all the time. We are trying to clean up, and biomass seems the preferred option.... which is chopping trees doon tae chips tae burn, basically.

Green energy seems to be a bit of a bag of shite tbh.

At this moment in time, EVs seems to be swapping one problem for other problems...

This is just the start. Wait until even 20% have them

This is just the start. Wait until even 20% have them
If we managed White Meter heating 40 years ago I'm sure it's not beyond the capability of modern technology to manage car charging demand to align to off peak periods.

Have been trying to persuade the wife to let me buy the Mustang Mach E - she's not going for it tho.

If we managed White Meter heating 40 years ago I'm sure it's not beyond the capability of modern technology to manage car charging demand to align to off peak periods.
As I understand it if you have a smart [electricity] meter then your supplier can restrict your supply anytime it likes.

Have been trying to persuade the wife to let me buy the Mustang Mach E - she's not going for it tho.
Think its the razor thread you're after :22:

Solar panels etc, the increased electricity for cars..... all "underwritten" by the exisitng coal / nuclear grid.

We cannae switch off our grid, it has to be on all the time. We are trying to clean up, and biomass seems the preferred option.... which is chopping trees doon tae chips tae burn, basically.

Green energy seems to be a bit of a bag of shite tbh.

At this moment in time, EVs seems to be swapping one problem for other problems...

Yup - currently renewables only account for about 40% of the UK's electricity. And that's before we try to power every car in the country this way. Will the shortfall just be covered by fossil fuels / nuclear?

Yup - currently renewables only account for about 40% of the UK's electricity. And that's before we try to power every car in the country this way. Will the shortfall just be covered by fossil fuels / nuclear?

Scotland is already producing more renewable energy than it uses and this will continue to increase. Seems to me that more electricity use in England should be a positive thing for our economy.

She has better car sense than you obviously. A fuckin Mustang with a battery motor?
It’s like low alcohol wine or decaffinated coffee.
Fuckin weird.

She has better car sense than you obviously. A fuckin Mustang with a battery motor?
Fuckin weird.

I was doubtful at first, but it won me over. I drive a mustang just now and love it, doesn't mean I have to dislike the mach-e tho.

The fact that you immediately dismiss it because it has a battery motor says a fair bit about YOUR car sense Doc!

I was doubtful at first, but it won me over. I drive a mustang just now and love it, doesn't mean I have to dislike the mach-e tho.

The fact that you immediately dismiss it because it has a battery motor says a fair bit about YOUR car sense Doc!
Thank you.
I think so too.
😎

Fuckin weird.
If I ever bump intae ye at a match, Im buying ye a decaf latte. Carin:g

If I ever bump intae ye at a match, Im buying ye a decaf latte. Carin:g
With almond milk!

Anyone reconsidering electric cars since the Brexit petrol shortage?

Getting mine on Thursday, hopefully have enough petrol to see though until then.

Anyone reconsidering electric cars since the Brexit petrol shortage?

Getting mine on Thursday, hopefully have enough petrol to see though until then.
Got diesel in Morrisons on Ferry Rd no problem on my way home yesterday , not even a queue

Reactions: Zab
Diesel seems to be fine, unleaded less fine.

Got diesel in Morrisons on Ferry Rd no problem on my way home yesterday , not even a queue

I got diesel at the Shell at Saughton, only car on the forecourt and a full 6p a litre cheaper than my local shell garage.

Southern English problems worded to cover a whole island.

Parked up at Tamworth services looking at the queue for fuel, fucking wankers are causing a shortage.
Unions are wanting nurses,emergency services etc to have preference. That's great if your in an accident or yer house gets robbed but if your hungry and lorry drivers,warehouse workers and shop staff cannae get tae work yer fucked. Where do you draw the line about who's essential and who isnae.

Parked up at Tamworth services looking at the queue for fuel, fucking wankers are causing a shortage.
Unions are wanting nurses,emergency services etc to have preference. That's great if your in an accident or yer house gets robbed but if your hungry and lorry drivers,warehouse workers and shop staff cannae get tae work yer fucked. Where do you draw the line about who's essential and who isnae.
I'd be going in and showing them my essential worker letter. If it was good enough for covid it can get me petrol the rest of the time too.

I got diesel at the Shell at Saughton, only car on the forecourt and a full 6p a litre cheaper than my local shell garage.

Southern English problems worded to cover a whole island.

Self-fulfilling inaccurate news.

Queues at Morrisons ferry road when I passed. Might just be the time of evening though.

The annoying thing is blaming brexit for the shortage isnae the whole story ,there isnae a shortage of drivers purely because of brexit, there's plenty drivers out there but many of them have left the profession because of poor pay and conditions. Instead of the solution being bringing in low paid workers from Eastern Europe raise the pay, standards and facilities for British drivers and positions will soon be filled.

Self-fulfilling inaccurate news.

Queues at Morrisons ferry road when I passed. Might just be the time of evening though.
Funny there were queues at Livingston Morrisons at 2pm. WTF?

The annoying thing is blaming brexit for the shortage isnae the whole story ,there isnae a shortage of drivers purely because of brexit, there's plenty drivers out there but many of them have left the profession because of poor pay and conditions. Instead of the solution being bringing in low paid workers from Eastern Europe raise the pay, standards and facilities for British drivers and positions will soon be filled.
It is quite a chunky part of it though.

Pre Brexit a driver could pick up and drop off anywhere in the EU.

A Spanish driver could bring in a load from Spain to London, pick up something in London and take it to Aberdeen, pick up something in Aberdeen and take it to France and so on. One trip multiple stops.

Now its one trip to the UK and that's it, back empty or for UK drivers one trip to EU and that's it back empty.

Pre EU foreigners could come over here drop off, do one cabotage trip then pick up a load and leave we could do the same. After the borders opened EU drivers could do unlimited interior trips, as could we which wasn't a problem at first as there wasn't a great rush of german ,dutch ,Belgian or French drivers rushing to work over here because they were no cheaper than us. It wasn't until the EU was expanded into former soviet block countries that the wave of cheap foreign drivers arrived in this country , and businesses realised they could hire these drivers for a lot less than they were paying us. That's as much the reason for the driver shortage as brexit.
Also foreign trucks don't have to go back empty, nor do we.
I'm not sure if cabotage is back in operation or not.

It is quite a chunky part of it though.

Pre Brexit a driver could pick up and drop off anywhere in the EU.

A Spanish driver could bring in a load from Spain to London, pick up something in London and take it to Aberdeen, pick up something in Aberdeen and take it to France and so on. One trip multiple stops.

Now its one trip to the UK and that's it, back empty or for UK drivers one trip to EU and that's it back empty.
Used to see it often. Load of fruit over from Spain and loaded up with whisky for the return.

This thread has been viewed 5144 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back