• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

Edinburgh housing

southfieldhibby

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
What if, instead of builders having to set aside some properties for social housing they had to pay a social property "tax" that was then allocated to housing associations so they could buy, say, blocks of flats in areas where there was demand for them?

An example might be a development in Cramond, where let's face it the demand for social housing is low. The developer gets to build a few more expensive houses and a share of that goes to buy flats in Leith. 3 out of place houses in Cramond or 6 flats in Leith!
That does happen and I think it's poor practice. Builders can contribute to other developments in less 'desirable' locations instead of building in the 'nicer' parts of town. Why can't folk on lower incomes live in Cramond or Morningside? Dividing areas by how much you can afford to spend on a house must be a bad thing no?

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
I don't think there's anywhere where the demand for social housing is low - the figures on the waiting lists are phenomenal.

If anything, the demand for social housing is probably least in the highest poverty areas - because people wouldn't choose to live there?

Jack

Gray Boot Sponsor
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
That does happen and I think it's poor practice. Builders can contribute to other developments in less 'desirable' locations instead of building in the 'nicer' parts of town. Why can't folk on lower incomes live in Cramond or Morningside? Dividing areas by how much you can afford to spend on a house must be a bad thing no?
I'm in two minds myself but if it meant 6 families were housed, or got a foot on the housing ladder through a mortgage or shared ownership, instead of 3 it's something I could live with.

HenryLB

Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Folk opposing new build developments in their community drives me daft. Usually there's no sensible reason for them to oppose, they're just nimby selfish idiots.

Perfect example, behind my house in Portobello there was Standard Life buildings, left empty for a year or so and clearly earmarked for housing a decade ago. There is a significant lack of houses in the area. The local neighbourhood resident association gathered the troops and started a protest group to stop the development. Now I'm probably one of 30 home owners most affected, so their presumption is I'll back their campaign. A couple of the ring leaders knock on my door one night and hand over the petition, they cannot understand when i tell them I'm keen for the development to go ahead, even though it will result in my view of Arthurs Seat being taken away. I ask them what they think should be done with the land instead. Allotments, community garden, free to use art space and a wilderness forest are the suggestions. Now i love all of those things, but my 20 year old daughter who's going to be entering the property market in the next few years can't live in a wilderness forest. It also wasn't lost on me that the very same middle class local snobs will probably buy one of the new flats to rent out at over inflated prices.

I suppose the guidelines for builders need to be clearer, and larger developments probably do require longer than a year, but when a builder wants to build something, and the time frame suits their needs, I've seen some things appear in months.

As for schools, I've never understood why there's not a template for them. Kinda like McDonalds. there's a squad of workies travelling all over The UK chucking up McDonalds. Keeps the costs down on various levels too. You'd need maybe 5 different sizes to suit various areas and demographics, but seems obvious to me. Same applies to doctors. Aldi do it, so take a leaf out of their book. Simplify the planning to allow for these templates to be built rapid.
I agree completely with your frustration with people who oppose everything. Apparently there is an even worse one than NIMBYs now - BANANA which stands for something like Build absolutely nothing anywhere at all.

The problem is that I'm also not sure that I could completely live with a planning system imposed by fiat. Some schemes (I mean that in the English sense) just are bad, and need to be opposed. And the planning system should surely have some form of consultative aspect which will always take time.

I think what I mean in summary s that people underestimate the complexity of delivering big projects of 500 dwelling or more. But those are the ones that fill the housing need. I don't know what Edinburgh's housing supply requirement is (from this thread it sounds like there's a serious shortage) but where I live, in a District with a population of under 120k, the 5 year plan calls for something like 12000 houses. And that can't be done without big developments that require huge resources to build and are necessarily quite controversial. 50 flat developments in towns barely register.

Another thing that I forgot, and that your post alludes to, is that buy-to-let should be made harder as that will maintain some supply to private buyers. This is happening to an extent though with two tax loopholes closed in the last few years.

What if, instead of builders having to set aside some properties for social housing they had to pay a social property "tax" that was then allocated to housing associations so they could buy, say, blocks of flats in areas where there was demand for them?

An example might be a development in Cramond, where let's face it the demand for social housing is low. The developer gets to build a few more expensive houses and a share of that goes to buy flats in Leith. 3 out of place houses in Cramond or 6 flats in Leith!
This is a good idea. It already half happens in some boroughs of London where a single standard payment is made instead of the old S106 bartering. But god knows what the council actually do with the money.

Of course the other problem is that ideally you don't want to create ghettos of either kind.

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
BANANA - build absolutely nothing anywhere near anyone.

Know your acronyms Henry.

Hibs v Gunts

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel