• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

Do you remember the first time....

Jello Biafra

Johnny Cash Radge
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
....you saw Hibs play Morton? Mine was on Saturday, 9 February 1985 at Easter Road. It was Super Joe McBride's debut and he set up at least two of Gordon Durie's first half hat-trick going up the slope, past the late Murray McDermott (who I believe was a Hibby, even if he featured as reserve goalie in hertz Scottish Cup final squad in 1986). Ex-Jambo and serious contender for Davie Dodds's title as the ugliest man in Scottish football ever Willie Pettigrew pulled one back for them after about 70 minutes. However, a late mazy run and finish from Colin 'Bomber' Harris (fresh from his late winner at Ibrox just 28 days earlier) and an even later tap-in from close range by Alan 'Snoddy' Sneddon made the final scoreline: Hibs 5-1 Morton. A repeat today would do very nicely, Mr Heckingbottom.

It's strange the random things you mind, but there was a rather gregarious chap stood behind my Dad, bro and I on the sparsely attended then uncovered and freezing bloody cold East Terracing who declared once he was sure the points were safe that he was 'buying the Pink News' that evening!

I bought it, too. Made for very pleasant reading.

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Probably not the first time I saw Hibs v Morton but I remember one game late 70s maybe when it was raining so hard at kick off the sparse crowd on the uncovered terracing was allowed to walk around the track and watch the match from the enclosure (the standing bit at the front of the main stand). I think Hibs won 5-0.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
I’m sure Hibs beat Morton at Easter Road and Goram scored. Only time I’ve seen that. Morton goalie was Wylie I think.

ZemmamasBarnet

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Probably after Hibs were relegated in 98/99. Dinnae really remember much about them other than the Millions sponsorship and that we got Derek Collins and later Derek Anderson (if I remember correctly) from them.

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Part of Bounce
I’m sure Hibs beat Morton at Easter Road and Goram scored. Only time I’ve seen that. Morton goalie was Wylie I think.
Won 3-1 that day. Late 80's maybe?

Had to feel a bit sorry for the Morton 'keeper.

Just a wee bit though.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce

Just a wee bit though.
Was in the West Upper that day and remember the bounce and the look on his face as it went over his heid :gigglle:

Jello Biafra

Johnny Cash Radge
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce

Just a wee bit though.
Saturday, 7 May 1988. 3-1. Neil Orr and Joe Tortolano with our other goals. JT's late third meant that Morton conceded exactly 100 goals that season. As they had in their previous top flight season (1984-85). Although there were 8 more games during the 1987-88 season, so their goals conceded per game average was lower. Just.

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Sometime in the early 70;s..$%#@'r remember any particular game.

I do remember my first ever visit to Cappielow around about 1978/79 to play at that time an excellent Morton team who were top of the league. We drew 2-2 and Ralph Callachan got both Hibs goals.

WillieWilson

Bounce Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Part of Bounce
After checking on the ihibs site, I think the day of torrential rain when the terracing spectators were let into main stand enclosure must have been 22 December 1973. The Hibs team: McArthur, Bremner, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan. Hibs 5 (O'Rourke 3, Gordon 2) Morton 0. Attendance 5491. We really are currently living through a golden age of football attendances if we can get more than a 1000 more spectators into Easter Road to watch the present Hibs team against Morton last Saturday than turned out to see the Tornadoes on a wet day 46 years ago.

Jello Biafra

Johnny Cash Radge
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
After checking on the ihibs site, I think the day of torrential rain when the terracing spectators were let into main stand enclosure must have been 22 December 1973. The Hibs team: McArthur, Bremner, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan. Hibs 5 (O'Rourke 3, Gordon 2) Morton 0. Attendance 5491. We really are currently living through a golden age of football attendances if we can get more than a 1000 more spectators into Easter Road to watch the present Hibs team against Morton last Saturday than turned out to see the Tornadoes on a wet day 46 years ago.
If you look at it in absolute terms, perhaps you might come to that conclusion. However, I think to achieve a more realistic understanding of why gates for such fixtures appear to have improved, even when the quality of fayre served up has diminished, one needs to consider the other influential factors: such as the advent of all-seater stadia (in the wake of Hillsborough) and the season ticket buying mentality (if you want to be guaranteed a seat next to your friends/family and or away from notorious bams) it has engendered; football becoming more family-friendly; football become more female-friendly; football becoming more tolerant/inclusive; alcohol being banned from the grounds; the club's Hibs Kids policy; the club's community initiatives; the club being perceived less as a 'Catholic' club (which in the days of the Troubles might have limited our appeal to non-RCs, especially if, as some have suggested, rebel songs were chanted on the terraces); the ground being all covered etc..

But, as you say, less than 6,000 for that team was disappointing. But, again, years ago I mind hearing on the radio (when travelling back through to Strathaven from Leith, having watched us draw 1-1 wi the dead club on Saturday, 21 December 1985) that the Saturday immediately preceding Christmas (i.e. that fixture you allude to) was notorious for poor gates due to the men folk having to do some last minute Christmas shopping. Which would make retail sense.

Hamilton v Hibs

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel