Cultural appropriation confrontation

BurbankHibee

Micro$oft Hating Radge
Registered
Monthly Radge
Jan 9, 2003
Burbank, CA
I can't make up my mind if this really happened the way it is portrayed or if it is one of those silly "social experiments".

A video showing a black female student harrassing a white male student over his dreadlocks - telling him "it's my culture" - has been viewed more than one million times. Posted online, the 47-second clip begins by showing the female San Francisco State University (SFSU) student ask another black male student, who appears to support her views, if he has a pair of scissors, supposedly so that she can cut the dreadlocks. The white student, identified by local news site SF Weekly as Cory Goldstein, defends his hairstyle and asks the female student: “You’re saying I can’t have a hairstyle because of your culture. Why?" She is heard to reply: “Because it’s my culture.”
Independent

But either way, it still does a good job of demonstrating what an incoherent proposition "cultural appropriation" is.

egb_hibs

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jul 2, 2002
From the Capital
I can't make up my mind if this really happened the way it is portrayed or if it is one of those silly "social experiments".

Independent

But either way, it still does a good job of demonstrating what an incoherent proposition "cultural appropriation" is.
Silly racist moo. By her logic he could have told her to give up the clothes and shoes she was wearing, and to hand over her books and computers and get the feck out of a university.

Not only that, dreads are not limited to Jamaican culture (of which she is probably not part anyway).

Mind you a trustafarian getting on the wrong side of the PC racists is another peachy example of the left eating itself.

SKII

Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Oct 26, 2004
Right here, right now
Given the links of both men to Hibs, I have been surprised nobody has commented yet on the claims by Latapy and Harper that they are being kept out of jobs in Scotland because of the colour of their skin.

There's no doubt there has been a clique in Scottish football that is Largs Mafia-centric, Ugly Sisters/Weegie centric and an old pals act based on who you know in those circles. We've seen years of the same old faces being recycled round the game and any newcomer getting a harder time of it a la Paul Le Guen. David Farrell has suggested it is now elitist - that your face has to fit and the higher up the game you have been the easier it is for you to be given your A licence etc...

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
I think they're wrong that it's about the colour of their skin - Scotland has moved on and where money is involved business isn't so stupid to cut its nose off where colour, religion or sexual orientation is concerned.

Yes, I'd agree there is an element of face not fitting and plenty of good coaches have rapped when they've hit barriers.

There's plenty of white coaches that will struggle to ever get jobs too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dec 30, 2006
Montrose Terrace Massive
Jesus Christ. Dinnae get me fuckin started again...

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Administrator
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Player Sponsor
Jun 27, 2002
Gourock
www.hibeesbounce.com
Just on the subject of Harper - he was convicted of assaulting his wife in 2008 and not guilty of assaulting a Taylor in 2015. I think that's more likely to put employers off than his skin colour because it would make me uncomfortable if Hibs chose to employ a manager with that background/baggage.

Smurf

Private Member
Registered
May 15, 2003
Suburbia
Not convinced at all either of the two are not getting a chance due to the colour of their skin. Plenty of pale faced white coaches and manager's out of work.

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Jun 28, 2002
Jimmy Calderwood may have a case.

egb_hibs

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jul 2, 2002
From the Capital
This sickness getting its claws in at Edinburgh as [MENTION=7996]aggie[/MENTION] has noted.A qualified 'fair play' to this girl for standing up to the little Nazis - qualified only, because she seems to favour this safe spaces madness despite being its latest victim.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...iolating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

'"A university student was threatened with being thrown out of a meeting after being accused of violating “safe space” rules - by raising her hand.

Imogen Wilson, the vice-president for academic affairs at Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA), spoke out against safe space rules becoming “a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people”, following the incident last week.

Ms Wilson, 22, was subject to a “safe space complaint” over her supposedly “inappropriate hand gestures” during a student council meeting.

[...]

“I totally do believe in safe space and the principles behind it,” she told the Telegraph. “It’s supposed to enhance free speech and not shut it down, and give everyone a chance to feel like they can contribute.

“Safe space is essential for us to have a debate where everyone can speak, but it can’t become a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people.”

She said: “At that meeting we were discussing BDS, the movement to boycott Israel. I made a long and passionate speech against us subscribing to this, on the basis it encourages anti-Semitism on campus. It was only after I made that speech that someone made a safe space complaint. I can’t help but think it was a political move against me.

“Later on in the meeting, someone threatened me with a second complaint because I was shaking my head – but when I was addressing the room about my worries about Jewish students, there were plenty of people shaking their heads and nothing happened.”'

It almost goes without saying that there are no safe spaces for Jews, as the left's true colours shine through yet again. These whoppers should be given 100 lines and sent to bed early.

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dec 30, 2006
Montrose Terrace Massive
This sickness getting its claws in at Edinburgh as [MENTION=7996]aggie[/MENTION] has noted.A qualified 'fair play' to this girl for standing up to the little Nazis - qualified only, because she seems to favour this safe spaces madness despite being its latest victim.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...iolating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

'"A university student was threatened with being thrown out of a meeting after being accused of violating “safe space” rules - by raising her hand.

Imogen Wilson, the vice-president for academic affairs at Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA), spoke out against safe space rules becoming “a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people”, following the incident last week.

Ms Wilson, 22, was subject to a “safe space complaint” over her supposedly “inappropriate hand gestures” during a student council meeting.

[...]

“I totally do believe in safe space and the principles behind it,” she told the Telegraph. “It’s supposed to enhance free speech and not shut it down, and give everyone a chance to feel like they can contribute.

“Safe space is essential for us to have a debate where everyone can speak, but it can’t become a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people.”

She said: “At that meeting we were discussing BDS, the movement to boycott Israel. I made a long and passionate speech against us subscribing to this, on the basis it encourages anti-Semitism on campus. It was only after I made that speech that someone made a safe space complaint. I can’t help but think it was a political move against me.

“Later on in the meeting, someone threatened me with a second complaint because I was shaking my head – but when I was addressing the room about my worries about Jewish students, there were plenty of people shaking their heads and nothing happened.”'

It almost goes without saying that there are no safe spaces for Jews, as the left's true colours shine through yet again. These whoppers should be given 100 lines and sent to bed early.
It's getting fcukin ridiculous, like. Was it [MENTION=498]HenryLB[/MENTION] who was asking me on the Trump thread if things were really that bad? Fill your boots on this one, man.

This includes “refraining from hand gestures which denote disagreement”, or “in any other way indicating disagreement with a point or points being made”.

According to EUSA safe space rules, only gestures that indicate agreement are “permissible”, and then only as long as “these gestures are generally understood and not used in an intimidating manner”.

Regardless of the anti-Semitic angle, it's this sort of stuff that blows my mind. I mean, really think about this: somebody is giving it plenty on some contentious subject with which you disagree. If you're sitting there shaking your head, you're violating the "safe space". Shaking your fcuking head.

And only gestures that indicate agreement are permissible. I can see the future now: universities seminar rooms and debating halls full of people nodding their heads. It's sort of macabre. The point of university will be to discover what you are meant to think.

I honestly feel a real disconnect; and part of me wonders whether, in the future looking back, the fact that I am part of pretty much the last generation of (Western) people who can remember what it's like to be an adult before the internet (and mobile phones) will be seen as significant. I constantly worry that it's in fact simply that I'm an old fogey and just don't understand the new reality; but other times I want to be giving folk a hard slap and tell them not to be such a fcukin sissy - boys and girls.

Oct 11, 2008
East of WeegieLand
It's getting fcukin ridiculous, like. Was it [MENTION=498]HenryLB[/MENTION] who was asking me on the Trump thread if things were really that bad? Fill your boots on this one, man.This includes “refraining from hand gestures which denote disagreement”, or “in any other way indicating disagreement with a point or points being made”.According to EUSA safe space rules, only gestures that indicate agreement are “permissible”, and then only as long as “these gestures are generally understood and not used in an intimidating manner”.Regardless of the anti-Semitic angle, it's this sort of stuff that blows my mind. I mean, really think about this: somebody is giving it plenty on some contentious subject with which you disagree. If you're sitting there shaking your head, you're violating the "safe space". Shaking your fcuking head.And only gestures that indicate agreement are permissible. I can see the future now: universities seminar rooms and debating halls full of people nodding their heads. It's sort of macabre. The point of university will be to discover what you are meant to think.I honestly feel a real disconnect; and part of me wonders whether, in the future looking back, the fact that I am part of pretty much the last generation of (Western) people who can remember what it's like to be an adult before the internet (and mobile phones) will be seen as significant. I constantly worry that it's in fact simply that I'm an old fogey and just don't understand the new reality; but other times I want to be giving folk a hard slap and tell them not to be such a fcukin sissy - boys and girls.
Aggie, I'm apparently violating your "safe space" - shaking my head reading your post coz I can't believe this is even a "thing". Jesus.

egb_hibs

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jul 2, 2002
From the Capital
It's getting fcukin ridiculous, like. Was it [MENTION=498]HenryLB[/MENTION] who was asking me on the Trump thread if things were really that bad? Fill your boots on this one, man.

This includes “refraining from hand gestures which denote disagreement”, or “in any other way indicating disagreement with a point or points being made”.

According to EUSA safe space rules, only gestures that indicate agreement are “permissible”, and then only as long as “these gestures are generally understood and not used in an intimidating manner”.

Regardless of the anti-Semitic angle, it's this sort of stuff that blows my mind. I mean, really think about this: somebody is giving it plenty on some contentious subject with which you disagree. If you're sitting there shaking your head, you're violating the "safe space". Shaking your fcuking head.

And only gestures that indicate agreement are permissible. I can see the future now: universities seminar rooms and debating halls full of people nodding their heads. It's sort of macabre. The point of university will be to discover what you are meant to think.

I honestly feel a real disconnect; and part of me wonders whether, in the future looking back, the fact that I am part of pretty much the last generation of (Western) people who can remember what it's like to be an adult before the internet (and mobile phones) will be seen as significant. I constantly worry that it's in fact simply that I'm an old fogey and just don't understand the new reality; but other times I want to be giving folk a hard slap and tell them not to be such a fcukin sissy - boys and girls.
I don't think you can't park the anti Semitic angle, I think it's crucial to understanding this. This is the hard left doing what it always does; the methods and language have shape shifted (though not by much really) but it's the same goals and the same mentality that Orwell documented 70 years ago, with the bad guys as ever assisted by the same useful idiots he also described.

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dec 30, 2006
Montrose Terrace Massive
I don't think you can't park the anti Semitic angle, I think it's crucial to understanding this. This is the hard left doing what it always does; the methods and language have shape shifted (though not be much really) but it's the same goals and the same mentality that Orwell documented 70 years ago.
Can you explain what you mean by that bit for me? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

egb_hibs

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jul 2, 2002
From the Capital
Can you explain what you mean by that bit for me? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious.
I mean it's no coincidence that you are getting totalitarianism and anti semitism coming from the same people; they invariably go together. It's the same old lefty bampottery that scarred c20 so badly.

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dec 30, 2006
Montrose Terrace Massive
I mean it's no coincidence that you are getting totalitarianism and anti semitism coming from the same people; they invariably go together. It's the same old lefty bampottery that scarred c20 so badly.
See, it's a funny one this. In my experience, I've not found the debate on Israel/Palestine among the university students, at least the middle-class whitey ones, to be driven by anti-Semitism at all - IMO, they could genuinely be Christian, Buddhist, or anything else in Israel, it wouldnae matter. Equally, Palestine needn't be Muslim - it just needs to be OPPRESSED, basically. I think they are way more concerned with that kind of identity politics angle, than any perception of big-nosed Zionists trying to take over the planet.

egb_hibs

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jul 2, 2002
From the Capital
Sorry [MENTION=7996]aggie[/MENTION] I'm not buying it. Davy recently posted a list of 50 countries where Christians are persecuted - in many cases, in ways far exceeding even the most jaundiced interpretation of the plight of Palestinians. The same applies to many other groups across the world.

And yet all ths oppression goes relatively unremarked while we have this veritable frenzy over Israel - which thankfully is finally being called out for what it is within the Labour Party. In fact we have people openly associating with the far leftism which is an active source of said oppression and getting away with it, while Jews are assigned collective guilt for the (hysterically distorted) actions of Israel.

It's the far left doing it's same old thing, and so also is the totalitarianism of political correctness. They've long had a grip on the universities but are having a real purple patch at the moment.

HenryLB

Donator
Private Member
Registered
Dec 19, 2002
London

That's extraordinary. Apart from all the other obviously ridiculous aspects, how are these people going to survive in any even vaguely pressurised work environment? If you have to spend 48 hours after each disagreement unpicking how everyone's respective feelings were hurt then you're not going to get much done.

On the antisemitism, I think it's tremendously complex and I can see both sides to a certain extent. By which I can see that sometimes pro-Israel voices do reach for the AS accusation unfairly. But the notion that there is no AS aspect to criticism of Israel, or that critics of Israel should not tread carefully because of the dangers of AS, is crazy.

A lot of the left are blind to the latter aspect at the moment. You get people on twitter spending hours - hours - trying to minimise the part antisemitism plays in the Israel/Palestine issue. Which in its turn starts to look, er, antisemitic, even though in its intention it probably isn't.

Take this:

Momentum activist accused of antisemitism, but these Facebook posts show a different story | The Canary

I'd be really worried if my broad political faction was saying stuff like this.

egb_hibs

Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Jul 2, 2002
From the Capital
[MENTION=7996]aggie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=498]HenryLB[/MENTION] - there's something strange happening to some young people these days. For example, as a parent, the only time I have been offended by any song or whatever my kids have played, it's the one quoted below. You really have to hear the wheedling delivery to get the full effect and appreciate that this is not ironic - this really is 'men' in their early twenties longing for the 'good old days' when mum would tuck them up in bed and they didn't have to be so 'stressed'.

It would be easy to just laugh, but pathetic as it is, it's also the voice of the betrayed. It seems to me that not only have the young been shafted by the twin doctrines of globalisation and poltiical correctness in respect of the economic and social landscape they will be thrown into, but the latter has also ensured that they are singularly ill equipped to navigate anything more challenging than a soft play area.

"I wish I found some better sounds no one's ever heard,
I wish I had a better voice that sang some better words,
I wish I found some chords in an order that is new,
I wish I didn't have to rhyme every time I sang,

I was told when I get older all my fears would shrink,
But now I'm insecure and I care what people think.

My name's 'Blurryface' and I care what you think.

Wish we could turn back time, to the good ol' days,
When our momma sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out.

We're stressed out.

Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young,
How come I'm never able to identify where it's coming from,
I'd make a candle out of it if I ever found it,
Try to sell it, never sell out of it, I'd probably only sell one,

It'd be to my brother, 'cause we have the same nose,
Same clothes homegrown a stone's throw from a creek we used to roam,
But it would remind us of when nothing really mattered,
Out of student loans and treehouse homes we all would take the latter.

We used to play pretend, give each other different names,
We would build a rocket ship and then we'd fly it far away,
Used to dream of outer space but now they're laughing at our face,
Saying, "Wake up, you need to make money."
Yo.

Yo.

Used to play pretend, used to play pretend, bunny
We used to play pretend, wake up, you need the money
Used to play pretend, used to play pretend, bunny
We used to play pretend, wake up, you need the money
Yo."

aggie

Justified Radge
Radge Donator
Private Member
Registered
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Dec 30, 2006
Montrose Terrace Massive
That's extraordinary. Apart from all the other obviously ridiculous aspects, how are these people going to survive in any even vaguely pressurised work environment? If you have to spend 48 hours after each disagreement unpicking how everyone's respective feelings were hurt then you're not going to get much done.

On the antisemitism, I think it's tremendously complex and I can see both sides to a certain extent. By which I can see that sometimes pro-Israel voices do reach for the AS accusation unfairly. But the notion that there is no AS aspect to criticism of Israel, or that critics of Israel should not tread carefully because of the dangers of AS, is crazy.

A lot of the left are blind to the latter aspect at the moment. You get people on twitter spending hours - hours - trying to minimise the part antisemitism plays in the Israel/Palestine issue. Which in its turn starts to look, er, antisemitic, even though in its intention it probably isn't.

Take this:

Momentum activist accused of antisemitism, but these Facebook posts show a different story | The Canary

I'd be really worried if my broad political faction was saying stuff like this.
I agree, but that's not what I was suggesting in response to [MENTION=101]egb_hibs[/MENTION] at all. I was merely saying that, to quote the lad Schneider in that article, that most students are in fact best characterised as position 6 on this, which he specifically states does not make them anti-semitic - but then warns, see points 1-5, which are of course blatantly anti-semitic. But I've never heard any of them bandied about.

This lad Campbell is an anti-Semite, that much is obvious. But the article also states, correctly IMO, that "A serious debate needs to take place about what qualifies as political opposition to the state of Israel, and what constitutes a racist attack on Jewish people. The two are not the same. "

If you make them the same, then I'm sorry, you're as bad a PC warrior as this lot at the university. My point was that, in my experience, students seem to flock to the "OPPRESSED" angle, and genuinely see the religious aspect as at best irrelevant - after all, most students I meet are atheists.

The tacit assertion which I think you seem to be making, Eedge - i.e. that PC nonsense and anti-semitism are mutually inclusive and inseparable - is IMO bollocks, and in fact is a example of exactly what you love to berate people on here for; that is, conflating things that are in fact not inherently related in a form of 'appeal to ignorance', i.e. true because it's not been proven not to be true.

Next Game : Hibs v Elgin (Scottish Cup)

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel