• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Covid -19 Graphs Scotland

Screenshot_20210523-122405_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210524-145858_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210525-133709_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210526-123521_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210527-122032_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210528-123732_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

I wonder how much this increase has to do with the Indian variant and how much is a cup final hangover? Over the road one poster is saying 15 have tested positive after being in Tamsons last Saturday. Now I know Tamsons punters are no angels and there was worse than them as far as social distancing is concerned!

Screenshot_20210529-122922_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Increasing day on day recently.

Increasing day on day recently.
Worryingly so but surprising.

Worryingly so but surprising.
But not in hospitalisations or ICU so NHS not overwhelmed

Tamsons variant still on the rise! A few days and that will drop off!!

Screenshot_20210530-133203_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-121354_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210601-173149_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210602-123750_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Bloody hell. Not great!

Bloody hell. Not great!
So 0.18% of the population are active cases. People really need to remember to contextualise absolute numbers.

Reactions: Zab
So 0.18% of the population are active cases. People really need to remember to contextualise absolute numbers.

I think Smurfs point is the numbers are back going up daily Aggie, and its a trend.

There’s no longer a clear correlation between the number of cases and the number of hospitalisations/deaths.

This obsession with cases, and basing policy on it, might have made sense but it doesn’t to me now.

The focus should be on protecting people, and protecting the health service from being over run, but I don’t see cases as the driver for this now.

It's the trend... IF (And I stress if..) these cases go how previous have then a percentage of these numbers will end up in hospital and a percentage of them will die.

There’s no longer a clear correlation between the number of cases and the number of hospitalisations/deaths.
Have you got the data confirming that this is the case?

Have you got the data confirming that this is the case?

This is per https://data.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/detail.html#deaths for the whole of Scotland.

7 days up to 31st May 2021:
COVID cases in the last 7 days - 509.7
COVID deaths in last 7 days - 3

7 days up to 28th May 2020:
COVID cases in the last 7 days - 51.1
COVID deaths in last 7 days - 131

So based on the same time period last year, there were significantly more deaths than this year, yet more cases this year.

I guess my overall point is that this data isn’t the same measuring stick now as it was in the past.

This is per https://data.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/detail.html#deaths for the whole of Scotland.

7 days up to 31st May 2021:
COVID cases in the last 7 days - 509.7
COVID deaths in last 7 days - 3

7 days up to 28th May 2020:
COVID cases in the last 7 days - 51.1
COVID deaths in last 7 days - 131

So based on the same time period last year, there were significantly more deaths than this year, yet more cases this year.

I guess my overall point is that this data isn’t the same measuring stick now as it was in the past.
It's not a like-for-like comparison though is it?

This time last year cases were on a huge downward trajectory after the first wave. We are now in the beginning of a fourth wave....

So I don't think that we can extrapolate from they stats that's there's not the same correlation between cases and deaths TBH....

This time last year cases were on a huge downward trajectory after the first wave. We are now in the beginning of a fourth wave....

So I don't think that we can extrapolate from they stats that's there's not the same correlation between cases and deaths TBH....

Of course it’s not like for like, last year we never had a vaccine... Which is kind of my point, cases used to be a good metric but the variables have significantly changed.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that we start to use the deaths/hospitalisation statistics as the key driver in policy going forward.

Of course it’s not like for like, last year we never had a vaccine... Which is kind of my point, cases used to be a good metric but the variables have significantly changed.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that we start to use the deaths/hospitalisation statistics as the key driver in policy going forward.

However, you made a point and haven't been able to back it up! With everything I've read we just yet don't know how cases of this Indian variant will turn into hospitalisation and then death. All experts I'm following say it's too early to know.

However, you made a point and haven't been able to back it up! With everything I've read we just yet don't know how cases of this Indian variant will turn into hospitalisation and then death. All experts I'm following say it's too early to know.

It’s impossible to back anything up using the historical data, it’s unreliable for a number of reasons: volume of tests available, quality of tests, the context of the overall discuss has changed several times in terms of different variants and now the vaccine rollout... the one stat that is definitive is death rate, and it’s down significantly.

It's the trend... IF (And I stress if..) these cases go how previous have then a percentage of these numbers will end up in hospital and a percentage of them will die.
Perhaps, but that in itself at that level is no longer a proportional justification for further lockdowns/restrictions, imo.

I think perhaps the politicians and MSM are just using the number of cases because they have been since the start and its easy for the population to understand.

I'm sure the figures used by the government(s) in making decisions will come from many sources, cover lots of variables and be way over most folks heads unless you're a nerdy statistician! I'm pretty certain though that there will be some sort of correlation between case numbers and the number of folk ending up in hospital, many fewer than previously.

I read recently that the average number of days folk need in hospital has halved between the waves and cases less severe so there's another bonus.

As @Smurf says above, apart from being more transmissible, the Delta (Indian) variant is still pretty much unknown beyond that so no matter how good the governments matrix how it will impact on the NHS is uncertain. It seems 2 jags do the business but with a big proportion of the population still to have their first dose its a race against time.

Genuinely curious - does any rise in cases constitute a "wave"?

Genuinely curious - does any rise in cases constitute a "wave"?

Well if wasn't around or it had been previously in decline...

I'm sick to the fuckin back teeth of Rona. I hate her. I'm desperate for some semblance of normality back into our lives. However, I want us to move forward safely and cautiously.... Otherwise it just bites us in the arse.

Interesting thread on Twitter.

Screenshot_20210603-120642_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Screenshot_20210604-120139_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

Third wave definitely upon us....

Third wave definitely upon us....

Or is it more cases because things have opened up more?

Or is it more cases because things have opened up more?
Sturgeon pretty much saying third wave...

Her saying it doesn't make it fact though. People back in pubs, facemasks not being worn, more meeting up, hugging, kissing. Its how the thing spreads.

Her saying it doesn't make it fact though. People back in pubs, facemasks not being worn, more meeting up, hugging, kissing. Its how the thing spreads.

I am wound up by all of this today TBH. I can't be arsed more looking into it as it'll only increase my anger... However, Is it right that THOUSANDS will be able to congregate to watch the Euro's in Glasgow Green? However, a few weeks ago when there was less cases 600 couldn't get into Hampden for a national final? Fitba fans in this country should be ramping up pressure on the authorities ahead of them restricting numbers massively ahead of the new season. Again, we will be used as a way of communicating a message.

I think it depends if you are a bit parochial or not. History will show a global chart, as it did for Spanish Flu, taking a global perspective of the waves.

A few cases in Leith, a couple of hundred in Edinburgh or a thousand or so in Scotland is a piss in the ocean when there's been around half a million worldwide today.

Having said that 100 years ago not many folk travelled further than their own town/city, there was no vaccine never mind one, or more, that was so wonderfully effective. Everything was much tighter, WW1 aside. Was there even a variant back then?

I'm no expert but I don't think globally we're going to see 3ish definitive ups and downs to the same degree as we saw with Spanish Flu. I think locally we're going to see a series of peaks and troughs steadily getting smaller as the vaccines roll out. Globally all these local peaks and troughs will merge but eventually they'll fade.

eventually they'll fade.
Keep hearing this. How do we know for sure?

Keep hearing this. How do we know for sure?
I suppose no-one knows for sure but if you look back in history all these virus type things fade into insignificance. Spanish Flu was the obvious big one but there's been mini panics that didn't quite catch, even recently bird and swine flu being examples.

Our standard flu mutates every year but we live with it, well most of us do and it's just an inconvenience for a few days if you catch it.

This thread has been viewed 169079 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back