• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Can we challenge near the top this season?

Green Sleeves

Private Member
Reaction score
With fixtures announced and only 3 weeks to kick off have we got a strong enough squad to challenge near the top?

Looking through the squad we're a bit bare bones but could still put a decent first 11 on the pitch:

Marciano

McGinn, Jackson, Porteous, Doig

Mallan, Halberg, Newell, Allan

Boyle, Doidge

Subs: Dabrowski, Stevenson, Hanlon, Horgan, Murray, The Swiss Hun

A bit threadbare and bench in dire need of freshening up but still Top 6.

Offload The Swiss Hun and bring in 4 more of first 11 quality to challenge for Europe?

No. I think the squad is weak and badly lacking balance.

Not a chance. Struggled to get in top 6 last season (we ended up 7th I know)

With a depleted squad and most likely not a lot of wriggle room in transfer market I reckon we will struggle again.

If Mallan is first 11 then no danger.

He might spend hours practicing kicking the ball but so did Gavin Hastings and that doesn’t make him an effective football player.

Good attitude, works hard, some strike on him including set pieces but I now realise why he wasn’t regular starter at Barnsley.

Sorry to upset people by constructively criticising a Hibs player ? . Softies accept our league positions.

Doig gets a positive news article about playing in the bottom tier and he’s replacing Stevenson who played for Scotland not long back!!

Get Horgan shipped on and try free the wage up. He’s had ample opportunities- like Slivka did - and nowhere near consistently ok.

No' wi' the squad we've got but I expect a few bargains tae be available

If Mallan is first 11 then no danger.

He might spend hours practicing kicking the ball but so did Gavin Hastings and that doesn’t make him an effective football player.

Good attitude, works hard, some strike on him including set pieces but I now realise why he wasn’t regular starter at Barnsley.

Sorry to upset people by constructively criticising a Hibs player ? . Softies accept our league positions.

Doig gets a positive news article about playing in the bottom tier and he’s replacing Stevenson who played for Scotland not long back!!

Wow attacks Mallan but defends Stevenson whilst kicking a youngsters down before he's even seen him. Classy.

Btw you remember Chris Iwelumo?

Wow attacks Mallan but defends Stevenson whilst kicking a youngsters down before he's even seen him. Classy.

Btw you remember Chris Iwelumo?

“Wow” - the 2020 easily shocked response.
Just wow.

I’m desperate for a left back who can offer something in the attacking third and heard Doig is good going forward. Sadly, he won’t replace Stevenson yet as Ross will need more than that article to get excited about him.

Whats Iwelumo got to do with this? Good record in England despite a howler of a miss for Scotland. We all know Stevenson’s been flavour of the month with Hibs managers and even a Scotland one chose him so he is highly thought of and not being replaced by a young blade starting for Queen Park.

Sorry to upset you Rickster.

Next....

Last edited:
With fixtures announced and only 3 weeks to kick off have we got a strong enough squad to challenge near the top?

Looking through the squad we're a bit bare bones but could still put a decent first 11 on the pitch:

Marciano

Mallan, Halberg, Newell, Allan

Boyle, Doidge

Subs: Dabrowski, Stevenson, Hanlon, Horgan, Murray, The Swiss Hun

A bit threadbare and bench in dire need of freshening up but still Top 6.

Offload The Swiss Hun and bring in 4 more of first 11 quality to challenge for Europe?

Sorry not a chance, we need better quality in variety of positions, we also need leaders on the pitch and defenders that challenge balls into the box. I wouldn’t be confident starting a new season with that squad.

“Wow” - the 2020 easily shocked response.
Just wow.

I’m desperate for a left back who can offer something in the attaching third and heard Doig is good going forward. Sadly, he won’t replace Stevenson yet as Ross will need more than that article to get excited about him.

Sorry to upset you Rickster.

Next....

You sound the most upset here dude. I was just shocked at your silly comments.

Defensively as a team we were nowhere near good enough last season. That's why we finished where we finished. One look at the stats will tell you where we failed. Had the season been completed though, I am confident we would have been top 6 and possibly even finished 5th. We have some good attacking players and a couple of very creative midfielders. In fact we were very good in an attacking sense last season. I think only the Old Firm scored more than Hibs. Basically, we were a good team when we had the ball, but a poor team when we didn't. Ross has to get the balance right and get his tactics right for big games...that was my main criticism from the second half of last season. We failed far too often in the big matches. My opinion as follows;

Goalkeeper; Marciano first choice...Dabrowski as his number 2.

Defence; Full-backs do need upgraded, but a fit Gray and Stevenson would still be my first choice. I rate McGinn more than some do. Not much pace, but a good defender and he is versatile which is going to be very important for us next season. Lewis had a bad season last term, but hopefully he has a decent pre-season this time which will help him. Sean Mackie will hopefully challenge him for his spot in time..as will Doig and Callum Yeats in the next year or two. Central Defence we could certainly do with another left-sided player here.

Midfield; Has to protect the defence much better than it did last season. A couple of hard working defensive midfielders would IMO help hugely. We also need pace everywhere and we need an experienced leader in there. I hope Boyle stays at least another year, but if not we need a wide player with pace to replace him. I would happy to have as many players in the squad with pace as we can get to be honest.

Strikers; Kamberi will be away soon IMO, but he must be replaced with as good if not better. Doidge has been a great addition IMO and will go on to score a lot of goals for us next season again, if he gets good/better service particularly from the wide areas. Jamie Gullan will play much more regularly in the first team next season and I have high hopes for him. He can certainly finish that's for sure.

We need three or four players in with two or three of the young squad being promoted to the first team. I am however realistic as to the quality we can get and how many due to our financial situation. My ones for the breakthrough would be Ben Stirling, Josh Campbell, Josh Doig and Callum Yeats. Huge season ahead for the talented Fraser Murray. My players to be brought in (if possible) would be two defensive midfielders, a full back, a fast skilful winger and a striker. That all depends on who stays and who goes of course.

At present the squad is not good enough for any higher than about 5th or 6th. With a few good additions and promotions from the young team we could challenge for third.

Last edited:
Definitely need to strengthen; there's no areas where we are confident just now, plenty skill in midfield but not enough 'dig' in my opinion. Defence didn't do too well last season so needs a bit of strengthening and we don't have the goalscoring threat up front at all if Doidge falls away a wee bit.

I'd like to see us get someone up front who will play with Doidge. Didge had a poor start, and then hit a golden streak of form. If he fails to find it again we are goosed.

Maybe have a look at that Liam Boyce guy. Is he still at Burton Albion? He kinda disappeared. Although I'm not sure if he can repeat his Ross County form in the current SPL. Maybe a wee club will take a chance on him.

Have a better idea ten games in to the season. We have a group who like to go forward quite well, its the unfashionable dig, tracking back, in your face type we lack. Since I've been a bairn I start the season winning the league, I'm still a bairn. GGTTH

Yes, but I think that every season - even the three relegation ones Ive seen

Difficult to see how we can just now but then again no team has really strengthened so far, have they?

Hopefully JR has a few irons in the fire re signings.
Maybe David Gray’s big sister, Linda.....

We have a lot to do...

Leaving it late as usual to bring bodies in. The squad is ageing. Players like Stevenson, Gray, McGregor are probably only going to decline the older they get.

Difficult to see how we can just now but then again no team has really strengthened so far, have they?

Hopefully JR has a few irons in the fire re signings.
Maybe David Gray’s big sister, Linda.....
We have JR as manager so that could be a goer.

Leaving it late as usual to bring bodies in. The squad is ageing. Players like Stevenson, Gray, McGregor are probably only going to decline the older they get.

Hopefully only used if needed and not starters.

We have JR as manager so that could be a goer.
I always liked Linda ?

No

Defence and midfield are useless

Last season we only had two standouts in Doidge(who took ages to get going) and Boyle

To seriously challenge for 3rd, we need to sign players who will command starting places. We don’t need squad players.

For me the key positions we need to strengthen are:
Right back - Gray’s injury record speaks for itself unfortunately, while McGinn is a squad player
Holding Midfielder - the biggest missing piece in our squad right now. This type of player is going to make a major difference.
Box to box midfielder - essentially someone who can help out at the back, put a tackle in... but most importantly someone with a range of passing and who can carry the ball 30/40 yards.
Left Wing - we are desperate for some serious pace on the left.
Striker - we need a partner/competition for Doidge

If Boyle goes, we need a replacement, simple.

There's no excuse we shouldn't be challenging and taking 4th spot, with our resources.

No chance IMO. As someone else on here has said at the start of every season I want to see Hibs winning the league. In truth I think we have potentially some serious concern here.

Defence was no where near good enough last season and even when EVERYONE knew that was a weak point in the team we still went and let Effe join Livingston and I don't go along with this not played football for months patter, Effe would still have out run our current defenders. Boy is a machine.
Midfield was our strongest and proudest part of the team a couple years ago and we still haven't managed to even come close to replacing it yet, in matter of fact we probably look likely to weaken it by losing out on Boyle. I mean look at the midfield options we used to have... McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley, Fyvie, Henderson, Boyle. ?
Upfront we'll be losing Kamberi and McNulty (not too bothered about McNulty as I don't rate, Kamberi is a Hun fud) and we possibly won't be getting our main target.

Slow at getting people in because we want to save every single penny we can, which is totally fine but any expectation over trying to get into the top 6 with that attitude is just dreaming IMO.

Rant over. Mon the Hibs, fuck the gunts.

3-4 well recruited signings that add improvement immediately would be ideal. Young players taking the opportunity being closer to the matchday team would be perfect too.

We would be wise to invest in players that not only have the technical and physical ability but the mental steel required to get us to the very top.

Confident in the recruitment team to pull it off (unlikely to be the usual window closure and may run to October to align with other European nations which will ease pressure - only a little).

3-4 well recruited signings that add improvement immediately would be ideal. Young players taking the opportunity being closer to the matchday team would be perfect too.

We would be wise to invest in players that not only have the technical and physical ability but the mental steel required to get us to the very top.

Confident in the recruitment team to pull it off (unlikely to be the usual window closure and may run to October to align with other European nations which will ease pressure - only a little).
Our season starts 1 August not October though, we can’t afford another slow start.

Our season starts 1 August not October though, we can’t afford another slow start.
The reality seems to be that we can't afford much in the way of great quality either it would seem. I don't think we have any great "player" fund and will again be picking up free's or recovering injured towards the end of the window - if we're lucky. These are very hard times as we all know. It is great to speculate though and hope ? The long term survival of the club is the most important thing - 10,000 season ticket holders are helping to see to that. Well done to those.

The reality seems to be that we can't afford much in the way of great quality either it would seem. I don't think we have any great "player" fund and will again be picking up free's or recovering injured towards the end of the window - if we're lucky. These are very hard times as we all know. It is great to speculate though and hope ? The long term survival of the club is the most important thing - 10,000 season ticket holders are helping to see to that. Well done to those.

I see what you are saying but as you say over 10,000 ST holders plus all the extra revenue that the new members of HSL will add which doesn’t include any transfer fees for our players, The Judas prick and Boyle being strongly mentioned. Ron also confirmed we would still be able to compete on the pitch to improve our playing squad, surely we can compete with the likes of Motherwell who are making big strides already and most of them were free and a loan.

Decent first 11 (if fit) plenty of good technical players like Allan mallan horgan newell.. We need a bit steel in the middle (Bartley type) as hallberg jury still out for me on his actual role in the team hopefully he is played more central rather than a defensive midfielder!
For me it's 4 players
Gk
Lb
Strong midfielder
Striker
If all come in we will be knocking on the door for 3/4th place
GGTTH

Realistically I don't see us or anyone catching the Sheep. They are going to be a stronger side and the cute side of their game will see them grind out the results needed. Absolute stick on for third.

4th and below is anybody's and some smart signings should put us in pole position. I think we have a decent squad that requires a few well picked enhancements. I really want to see a headstrong reliable centre half, a proper defensive mid and a box-to-box midfielder signed. We are so weak through the middle it's unreal. No "players with potential" or "options" that's what the young team are for this season.

Last edited:
Okay it's starting to look a wee bit better now. 2 first pick players in, plus a sub winger.

Marciano

Gogic, Hallberg, Allan

Boyle, Nesbit, Doidge

Subs: Dabrowski, Stevenson, Hanlon, Horgan, Murray, Newell, Mallan, Wright

LINEUP111594327049207.png

I think Boyle will be away so this is what I've gone for.

Hopefully Docherty still tae arrive

Hopefully Docherty still tae arrive

Tell you what if we bring Docherty back on a permanent, punt Kamberi, and sign Boyle up on a new deal this will be the best transfer window we’ve had in a long time!

Tell you what if we bring Docherty back on a permanent, punt Kamberi, and sign Boyle up on a new deal this will be the best transfer window we’ve had in a long time!

Definitely. However, if Doc returns we will have one too many central midfielder, so could see Melker Hallberg, for example moving on. Would have some midfield, that’s for sure!

Reactions: Zab

Sadly I can see both being sold on.

Sadly I can see both being sold on.

You would only be sad at one being sold on I reckon.
:giggley:

You would only be sad at one being sold on I reckon.
:giggley:

100% Rat Boy can bolt.

It takes time for new players to settle, hopefully the first few games being behind closed doors will give them time to bed in. Its easy to get carried away with what looks good on paper as to the actual display on the pitch. For me its crucial to get match sharp quick. Hopefully get off to a winning start in the first few games, it breeds confidence.

Will we finish for top 4 atm? Unsure. although yesterdays signings have definitely given us a much better chance.

I think we need a couple of defensive reinforcements for us to have a serious chance og top 3/4. I love Lewy but we need to bring someone in who’s going to be able to push him all the way/start over him. Someone who is a bit quicker.

I can’t see SDG stay fit all season either as much as it pains me to say, I think his best days are behind him now. Although, I couldn’t see us getting rid, I would prefer Naismith back or Stephen O’Donnell.

Wouldn’t say no to another CB (Efe type) but only if we could move one on as well, as we have 4.

If we could tie Boyle down with a contract extension, that would be unbelievable. But not sure if we will be able to do so in current circumstances (I know we just signed 3 players yesterday).

Lets see what happens. I think we will be working on a couple of other signings.

Gogic, Wright, Nisbet, Docherty, O’Donnell and another keeper would certainly have us in the top 4.

This thread has been viewed 14434 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back