• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Bicycle?

Admin
Private Member
Reaction score
My two laddies are back home living at Chez 1875, back from Uni for a very long summer. Oldest dug out their old bikes and spent today cursing and blinding and covered in oil and WD40, trying to make them useable, they are fecked. Anyone one selling one or two or know where you can pick up reasonably priced second hand ones?

Bikes for sale are like hens teeth just now. The number of people I see out cycling just now is amazing. Really hope they keep it up after lockdown is over.
I think the shop at the top of my street has some bikes, BG cycles.

I got one from this place up Causewayside a couple of years back, bought new bits as needed..

Edinburgh Bike Station – The Bike Station

I got my bike fixed by the shop in Abbeyhill and it cost me £120 quid.Bit steep I thought, but I was stuck because I was trying to sort it myself but couldn't.Have you considered using these Just Eat bikes until this is over?

Turns out there is a bike coop/ library a mile from me, will pop down Monday.

My two laddies are back home living at Chez 1875, back from Uni for a very long summer. Oldest dug out their old bikes and spent today cursing and blinding and covered in oil and WD40, trying to make them useable, they are fecked. Anyone one selling one or two or know where you can pick up reasonably priced second hand ones?
Last summer when we came back to Scotland for 9 weeks I picked up some very reasonably priced bikes (20 quid) for my kids off Gumtree. Bikes are still in my mum’s garage in Drumbrae but I reckon they’d be a bit wee for your kids given my bairns are 6,8, and 10 years old!

BIG G

BIG G

BIG G

BIG G

Last summer when we came back to Scotland for 9 weeks I picked up some very reasonably priced bikes (20 quid) for my kids off Gumtree. Bikes are still in my mum’s garage in Drumbrae but I reckon they’d be a bit wee for your kids given my bairns are 6,8, and 10 years old!

Just a bit, my laddies are 19 and 21! Thanks though.

I got my bike fixed by the shop in Abbeyhill and it cost me £120 quid.Bit steep I thought, but I was stuck because I was trying to sort it myself but couldn't.Have you considered using these Just Eat bikes until this is over?
No sure if they are in other cities than edin moat lad, and no be cheaper in long run buying a bike? How much is the hire cost?

Got new pedals from the shop in porty on Friday - been using it for bike stuff for years, love it.

All good tunes G - especially Tomorrow

Here is another -

No sure if they are in other cities than edin moat lad, and no be cheaper in long run buying a bike? How much is the hire cost?
never tried them

I would avoid Halfords.Queue was about 40 strong the last time I went, and they wouldn't help fix my bike,key workers only,I forgot I was caring for my mum.Which is why I ended up going to Abbeyhill.

After all these years, I often forget why I like the Netherlands.

Until I hit a thread like this :)

From the Embra youth 'trauma' of first having my bike nicked by psycho neighbours (fúckers even tried to sell repainted version back to me later) to the severe adolescent disappointment of failing to 'inherit' my dad's speedy racing bike (he sold it two days after he gave up using it), I now bask in bike Valhalla.

Up yours losers! ? :beer-1-prv:?:ura:

I got one from this place up Causewayside a couple of years back, bought new bits as needed..

Edinburgh Bike Station – The Bike Station
My daughter got a free bike oot there last month. They were giving them away tae NHS workers, free maintenance too, anything goes wrong, take it back and they will sort it.

Getting a bike is a nightmare just now, but BG cycles in portobello have bikes in stock and are good people.

Bought a bike off him at the start of April.

Managed to get a decent one for £100 on Facebook market. Thanks all.

Bikes for sale are like hens teeth just now. The number of people I see out cycling just now is amazing. Really hope they keep it up after lockdown is over.
I think the shop at the top of my street has some bikes, BG cycles.

It’s fantastic. It’s certainly a great way to zip about at the moment, great for fitness, heałth and wellbeing too.
My local cycling shop have went from 9-5 to 8-9 and opening an extra day on a Sunday. A massive industry boom.

Ive actually been cycling less in this pandemic (down from 200miles a week to 70-80odd - ‘driving‘ me mental, just mair busy) but when I have managed to get out it’s been with miniature (no school or football training). I’m resigned to the fact he’s built for cycling more than I ever will be and wont be long till he’s kicking my arse all over East Lothian and races.

1931FE17-71FE-43E1-B261-56D7BE146CDE.jpeg

Bit late to this thread but some great shouts on retailers about.

Last edited:
Couple of penny farthings in my shed if any help mark

Couple of penny farthings in my shed if any help mark

Sorted mate, I pinched one out your back garden!

Pheewwwww hot ride home today but a new best time for a half mile timed segment and improved it by 20 seconds in 2 weeks . Was desperate to get under 2 minutes ans now at 1.45 and 15 mins 37 for 3.1 miles work to home . No bad for an aging fatty :)

1592404389571.png

Smashing 5.2 miles (mostly uphill) in about 20 minutes. Was taking 40 before. Stopped smoking and started eating/drinking better. Maps says it should take 30 minutes.

Also. Needing a new bike. Mostly on road/paths but prefer mountain bikes (country park at weekends) any tips for under £500?

Also. Needing a new bike. Mostly on road/paths but prefer mountain bikes (country park at weekends) any tips for under £500?

I have a Giant ATX 2 cost about £360 , its been fine so far

I have a Giant ATX 2 cost about £360 , its been fine so far

Just had a look looks a decent bike.

Been mulling over the carrera hellcat 2020 for the last day or 2. The hydraulic disk brakes are a plus in terms of performance but not sure about repairs etc. Benefit of cable brakes is i know how to repair them myself ?.

Unless you're going down Glentress I'd avoid bikes with suspension and thick tyres. For road/cycle paths the lighter and thinner your bike/tyres the better.

Unless you're going down Glentress I'd avoid bikes with suspension and thick tyres. For road/cycle paths the lighter and thinner your bike/tyres the better.

Been using a saracen last couple of months. Prefer mountain bikes as on the way home from work theres a few wooded ways i cycle instead of the paths. Takes 5 minutes longer but is more fun. Once things get back to more of a normal Glentress is almost a guarantee.

I do 90% roads no problem with front suspension and thick tyres (plenty air in them though) I went for a mountain bike to take my weight mainly . Only problem with this bike is the gear change can be sloppy but i get there

I got a hybrid from the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative about 25 years ago. Do they still make hybrids? Come to think of it, is the Co-operative still on the co?

I got a hybrid from the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative about 25 years ago. Do they still make hybrids? Come to think of it, is the Co-operative still on the co?

Aye, still on the go. Good shop, a wee bit pricey but Bruntsfield prices eh? Still get hybrids, I’ve got something like that, a Croix De Fer Genesis and I love it.

Aye, still on the go. Good shop, a wee bit pricey but Bruntsfield prices eh? Still get hybrids, I’ve got something like that, a Croix De Fer Genesis and I love it.

I worked making bicycle wheels when i was younger. I was the company spokesperson.

Just had a look looks a decent bike.

Been mulling over the carrera hellcat 2020 for the last day or 2. The hydraulic disk brakes are a plus in terms of performance but not sure about repairs etc. Benefit of cable brakes is i know how to repair them myself ?.

I found there isn't a lot of difference between the Carrera's, Treks and voodoo's in each price bracket.

Virtually the same bikes with slightly different geometry.

I ended up with a Forme Curbar, not huge on the paint job but it's a surprisingly decent bike.
Kinda wish I had more than 10 gears though, and the Tektro brakes arent the greatest.
What's best to upgrade first? Discs or pads? Or both?

Then someone rocked up to work yesterday with a full suspension, electric Cube felly, 4500 quid.
Beauty, makes mine look like a toy ha!

Feel like a plug for them, but BG in porty still has bikes in the 4 to 6 hundred pound range. Was speaking to one of the guys yesterday.
They are jam packed just now. 12 hour days just prepping to hand over and safety checks on all the stuff they have sold.

Bikes are massive business just now. Shame it's making life easier for the thieving rodents out there

I used the Just Eat bikes a couple of times and realised how convenient they are. I just bought a secondhand Saracen mountain bike for £120 as a result. If I keep using it I'll get something better/more suitable in due course.

I used the Just Eat bikes a couple of times and realised how convenient they are. I just bought a secondhand Saracen mountain bike for £120 as a result. If I keep using it I'll get something better/more suitable in due course.

Very handy. Couple of times where Hibs have been midweek and I’ve left the bike at home it’s taken 6-8minutes from Haymarket to Harp and Castle station on Leith Walk. 1 Pint saved (time) and earnt.

This thread has been viewed 3953 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back