• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Best 3 songs

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
On the back of the best 3 concerts thread, let’s go for your fav 3 songs of all time.
Michange weekly as I’m sure yours do but go wi the gut.
I’m a lyric guy, others will have different thoughts.
Mine tonight...

bruce Springsteen- thunder road
An untouchable for me. My fav songs ever.

Deacon Blue- ship called dignity.

Simon Garfunkel- sound of silence.

Unbelievably nothing by my main man Bowie ?

Weirdly I’ve been playing a lot of Simon and Garfunkel this last week or so, and Sound of Silence would definitely be in my current top 3. I found a YouTube video of the song by Disturbed which I thought was brilliant. Made the missus watch it. She wasn’t so impressed and just watched in silence then left the room muttering ‘aye, disturbed right enough’.

Don't look back in anger oasis
design for life manics
Going underground. jam

Ask me tomorrow and 2 and 3 might change, 1st one will always make my top 3

As you say, favourite songs can change daily. Three that are always in my top 10 are:

Heaven must have sent you - The Elgins

Let's stay together - The Rev. Al Green

Geno - Dexy's

Sunshine on Leith (obviously)
You cant make me love you Bonnie Raitt
New York Minute

Changes daily as others have been said but for today:

Tougher than the Rest - Bruce Springsteen
Country Feedback - R.E.M.
The Boy With the Thorn in his Side - Smiths

Cigarettes & Alcohol
My Generation
Down In The Tube Station At Midnight

Subject to change depending on mood

At this juncture.....

My old school. - Steely Dan.

Gods Comic.- Elvis Costello.

House Where Nobody Lives.- Tom Waits.

True Faith - New Order
Duel - Propaganda
Friday on my Mind - Gary Moore

Changes every day though

Hugely difficult choice, however I have decided to go for two songs, one each from my two musical heroes Bruce Springsteen and the Beatles. The third choice was extremely difficult and I was tempted to put in a Bob Dylan song (possibly Desolation Row or Chimes of Freedom), but decided to go for a song which for me is just so uplifting and timeless it had to be there; So here we go;

Jungleland; Bruce Springsteen- I could have chosen any one of many, many songs from my all time music idol, but decided to go for this masterpiece. Nine minutes long, it's more a rock opera than a song. Incredibly cinematic. For me it shows the man's brilliance as a storyteller as do so many of his songs, but it's the quality of the music, the arrangement, the power, the story, the drama, the amazing Clarence Clemons sax solo..everything. To think the guy put all this together when he was only 23 years old. Mindblowing.

Here, there and Everywhere; The Beatles- Paul McCartney said this was the most complete song he ever wrote. George Martin said it was his favourite McCartney song from the Beatles era. I agree with them. Beautifully put together by the master melody man. Lovely simple words which say everything a love song should say. The melody, arrangement, harmonies. Just McCartney at his brilliant best and at the peak of his creativity.

Bridge over Troubled Water; Simon and Garfunkel- How many times has this jewel of a song been covered ? Lyrically brilliant and incredibly moving, arrangement first class, lovely melody. Paul Simon was truly one of the great songwriters of our time. For me this was his best song and in my opinion one of the best songs ever.

Where do you go to (my lovely) - Peter Sarsted
You've lost that loving feeling - Righteous Brothers
Nessun Dorma - Pavarotti.
Two of these always in my top three.

Weirdly I’ve been playing a lot of Simon and Garfunkel this last week or so, and Sound of Silence would definitely be in my current top 3. I found a YouTube video of the song by Disturbed which I thought was brilliant. Made the missus watch it. She wasn’t so impressed and just watched in silence then left the room muttering ‘aye, disturbed right enough’.
Guys some singer eh? There’s a few versions of SoS on YouTube.

Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello
White Man in Hammersmith Palais - Clash
Joyful Kilmarnock Blues - Proclaimers

Counting Crows-Rain King

Duran Duran-Come Undone

Phil Collins-A Groovy Kinda Love

Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd. London Calling- The Clash
Solid Air- John Martyn. The Rocker(live)- Thin Lizzy
Adagio for Strings-Samuel Barber. Hells Bells- AC/DC.
All above when in Mellow Mode. All above in Livelier Mode.

Jesamine - The Casuals.

BIG G

The King : Don't

BIG G

John Martyn : May you never.

BIG G

Ooooft that's tough, doesn't even let you cover all the genres you like.

Totally off the top of my head:

Generation X - Dancing With Myself
Pulp - Common People
NWA - Fuck the Police

Really difficult but seeing it's Friday someone somewhere in summertime simple minds acoustic version
Walk on by the stranglers
Broken stones Paul weller
Special mention for abba ?

Talking Heads - Cities
Fat Joe - Shit is Real
Kool G Rap - On The Run

There’s thousands upon thousands but 3 old songs I never grow tired of hearing:

Dexys - There There My Dear

Could have picked anything from their first lp which is one of the first records I bought with my own money. This is the final song and it always just makes me want to punch the air, dance about, and then put side one on again afterwards.

The Fall - Totally Wired

There’s no official video for this as far as I know - where’s Fiery Jack when you need him? I loved dancing to this at clubs in the 1980s and 90s but despite seeing The Fall live a million times I never saw them play it.

The Fall - Totally Wired Video

Bobby Gentry - Ode to Billie Joe

Her voice sends me, completely. The fact that she also played on her songs and she retired young and has steadfastly refused to step back in the public gaze adds to my respect for her.

Bobby Gentry - Ode to Billy Joe

In 20 minutes time there’d easily be a totally different 3 songs to share from a different century!

John Martyn : May you never.

BIG G

I am ashamed to say I have never heard that. Wonderful.

There’s thousands upon thousands but 3 old songs I never grow tired of hearing:

Dexys - There There My Dear

Could have picked anything from their first lp which is one of the first records I bought with my own money. This is the final song and it always just makes me want to punch the air, dance about, and then put side one on again afterwards.

Fantastic. I had forgotten, you're so anti fashion, you wear flares!

Seen John play live numerous times, but on his last tour not long before he sadly passed, he came on stage in a wheelchair after an operation to remove his foot. As the crowd rose as one to applaud him on, he gets the mic and says,”Don’t fucking clap just throw money“. What a musician, sadly missed.

At the moment Song to the Siren-This Mortal Coil ,Kiss Me Deadly-Generation X,and right at the moment September Song written by Kurt Weill covered by many but I like the Lotte Lenya ver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really difficult but seeing it's Friday someone somewhere in summertime simple minds acoustic version
Walk on by the stranglers
Broken stones Paul weller
Special mention for abba ?
Can you hear the drums

At the moment Song to the Siren-This Mortal Coil ,Kiss Me Deadly-Generation X,and right at the moment September Song written by Kurt Weill covered by many but I like the Lotte Lenya ver

Was she not married to Kurt Weill? First time I’d heard of her was the mention in Bobby Darins “Mack The Knife”.

Not used to this Tapatalk stuff.My laptop is in for repairs.Em don’t really know.She was in Thruppney Opera famous for Mac the Knife Then I think Weill saw the way the wind was blowing inGermany and headed over to the States.Bertolt Brecht stayed behind Lenya I don’t know about.

Acdc Up to my neck in you.
The greatest rock n roll song from the greatest rock n roll album by the greatest rock n roll band
Sound of silence Simon and Garfunkel.
Simon is a poet and this is his best work,agree with auld pishy pants Disturbed did a very good cover.
Machine head Darkness within.
A moving and inspiring song about depression and positive effect music has on wellbeing.
Genuinely considering have the lyrics tattooed on.me.

Reactions: Zab
You are correct she did marry Weill,they became estranged but remarried,divorced and she married another guy called Davis.

My fourth of three....

Seen John play live numerous times, but on his last tour not long before he sadly passed, he came on stage in a wheelchair after an operation to remove his foot. As the crowd rose as one to applaud him on, he gets the mic and says,”Don’t fucking clap just throw money“. What a musician, sadly missed.

Loved going to his gigs. A total nutter with the drink in him apparently, which was often. A tortured genius .

I was at the Tribute concert to mark the 10th anniversary of his death last year in Glasgow. His big pal reknowned double bassist Danny Thompson curated the event.
Good line-up including Eddi Reader, the splendid American bluesman Eric Bibb who did one of your choices, Solid Air and Paul Weller did a couple including John's Sweet Little Mystery. The finale was a a packed stage and the whole audience singing May You Never. I wept.

Danny Thompson tells how him and Martyn were in an Indian restaurant where a party of 12 blokes were were racially abusing a waiter. Martyn stuck the heid on two of them then as the other 10 prepared to do something about it, Danny Thompson, who is a giant of a man shouted across, “Don’t even begin. I fucking taught him!”, and they backed down.
A lifetime of drink, drugs and diabetes did him in and was only 60.

BIG G

Last edited:
Loved going to his gigs. A total nutter with the drink in him apparently, which was often. A tortured genius .

I was at the Tribute concert to mark the 10th anniversary of his death last year in Glasgow. His big pal reknowned double bassist Danny Thompson curated the event.
Good line-up including Eddi Reader, the splendid American bluesman Eric Bibb who did one of your choices, Solid Air and Paul Weller did a couple including John's Sweet Little Mystery. The finale was a a packed stage and the whole audience singing May You Never. I wept.

Danny Thompson tells how him and Martyn were in an Indian restaurant where a party of 12 blokes were were racially abusing a waiter. Martyn stuck the heid on two of them then as the other 10 prepared to do something about it, Danny Thompson, who is a giant of a man shouted across, “Don’t even begin. I fucking taught him!”, and they backed down.
A lifetime of drink, drugs and diabetes did him in and was only 60.

BIG G
Remember him talking about his friendship with Phil Collins who was going through a divorce,as was JM, whilst they both worked on Johns album. Drugs, drink and many tears produced some fantastic songs. He delivered a classic line describing Collins. “ He may be small,he may be balding but he’s my friend all the same”. ??

You are correct she did marry Weill,they became estranged but remarried,divorced and she married another guy called Davis.

Bizarrely she married Weill twice, then managed to squeeze in another two after Davis.

BIG G

Where do you go to (my lovely) - Peter Sarsted
You've lost that loving feeling - Righteous Brothers
Nessun Dorma - Pavarotti.
Two of these always in my top three.

A few brother there or thereabouts in yer post @WJC1848 .The Righteous Brothers who weren't brothers however Peter Sarstedt did have two who were both singers. The younger being Robin Sarstedt who had a chart hit with the Hoagy Carmichael song My Resistance is Low. The elder brother was a teen idol early 60's who had several hits, his stage name was Eden Kane. Perhaps one or two others on here will be auld enough to have heard of him.

BIG G

A few brother there or thereabouts in yer post @WJC1848 .The Righteous Brothers who weren't brothers however Peter Sarstedt did have two who were both singers. The younger being Robin Sarstedt who had a chart hit with the Hoagy Carmichael song My Resistance is Low. The elder brother was a teen idol early 60's who had several hits, his stage name was Eden Kane. Perhaps one or two others on here will be auld enough to have heard of him.

BIG G
Well, I ask you!!

Well, I ask you!!

Another piece of music trivia for you

@WJC1848 The 1961 hit you mention above, Well I Ask You song arrangements were by Hibs supporter, the great Johnny Keatings, who came from the Canongate and attended St Anthony's in Leith, who after playing in bands in the Palai De Danse and the Elderado he moved to London in 1952, of whom I reported on the Bounce at the time of his death in 2015 at the age of 87. He requested to his family that he wanted to wear his Hibernian Supporters Association tie on his death, to which they obliged....

Composer and arranger, his "Theme from Z-Cars", a hit in the 1962 UK Singles Chart, reaching No. 5 and was adopted by Everton FC as their theme song.

In 1973 he also wrote the double A-side single Hibernian (Give Us a Goal)/Turnbull’s Tornadoes for the Cabbage.

BIG G

Last edited:
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
Going Underground - The Jam
Alternative Ulster - Stiff Little Fingers

Although they will probably change tomorrow

Philistine!!!!

This thread has been viewed 7404 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back