• Hiya Guest,

You are invited to take part in this seasons Prediction League, where the object of the game is to pick the outcome of all SPL games

Full Details are here. Prediction Pick Em Competition

We also have a Prize 'Pool', with full details here

If you have entered you can dismiss this as you are awesome!

Berlin

Smurf

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Going for 5 days at the end of this month.

Anyone recommend anything to do apart from visit Berghain obviously...

Cheers

Sir Shrink

Quite a bit past it radge
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Go to the Radisson Blu for a beer and marvel at the fish tank.
Do the hop on hop off tours - there are three I think.
Drink beer.
Go up the big comms tower (5 min walk from Rad)
Checkpoint Charlie
Buy Ampelman souveniers.

:approve:

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
The Brandenburg Gate :camera:
The Reichstag
Checkpoint Charlie
The Sony Centre is pretty cool
Never got a chance to visit the Olympiastadion but would've liked to.
For a bevvy, Hoffbrauhaus is a barry German beerhall with lovely frauleins serving you traditional German scran and steins of beer :beer:

Last edited:

Jack

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Monthly Radge
Ladies Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Visit Potsdam

ZemmamasBarnet

Bounce Flag Co-Owner
Flag Owner
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Lewis Flag Donator
Go see Union Berlin if you can.

There's a Soviet War memorial (Google tells me it's called the Tiergarten Memorial) sort of round the corner from The Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate that's worth a look. Google also tells me there's two others in Berlin that I wasn't aware of but you might fancy hunting down.

Enjoy yourself, great city!

Greenmachine

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Visited Berlin once whilst inter-railing back in 1992. Fantastic city with so much history.
Olympic stadium is definitely work a visit. Fully intend to go back sometime as so much will have changed since then.
The wall had only been down for 3 years and they were selling bits of the wall in stalls around the Brandenburg Gate !

Sancho Panza

Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Berlin is my favourite European city. I lived there for nearly a year between 1996 and 1997 and consider it a second home.

If you're going for five days, get yourself a travel pass for the public transport. Berlin's public transport is probably the best in Europe.

https://www.berlin.de/en/public-transportation/

There is so much to see and do but I would recommend a trip to the Reichstag. It's free entry but you normally have to queue for a bit. The walk up the glass dome is awesome and there is a great view from the top. Definitely go to the Holocaust memorial to the south of the Brandenburg Gate on the site of Hitler's former bunker. Museum Island can take a day in itself and the Pergammon Museum is particularly good. If memory serves, the TV Tower isn't too far away and worth a quick trip to the revolving restaurant. Potsdam is worth a visit and is at the end of one of the S-Bahn lines. Frederick the Great's palace of Sans Souci and it's grounds are lovely, much more tasteful than the garish, oversized bling of Versailles.

If I could recommend a couple of good eateries / pubs, try Cafe Hardenberg. It's about a 5-10 minute walk from Zoo Station.

http://cafe-hardenberg.com/

Get the Bratkartoffelpfanne mit 3 Spiegeleiereiern. It's basically a skillet filled with fried potatoes, onion and speck (a German version of pancetta) with 3 fried eggs on top. Only 6 Euros. Perfect hangover food. Washed down with a draught Warsteiner, of course.

Not far away from that is Savignyplatz which has a lot of good restaurants and bars in the vicinity. Definitely try Zwiebelfisch, which The Spectator described as the best bar in the World. A bit of an exaggeration but not by much.

http://www.zwiebelfisch-berlin.de/

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/11/berlin-the-best-bar-in-the-world/

The best thing about Berlin is how cheap it is for a major capital city. Much better value for money than London, Paris or Rome.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time and will want to go back. There's just something about the place and the unique Berliner Luft. Enjoy!

SKII

Administrator
Administrator
Radge Donator
Lewis Flag Donator
Monthly Radge
Going for 5 days at the end of this month.

Anyone recommend anything to do apart from visit Berghain obviously...

Cheers
Any recommendations welcome. Off there in February :thumbgrin

jock3

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Bounce Radge
Part of Bounce
Most of my recommendations have been covered already. We went in September.

- use the Trams they're pretty good
- Cathedral is worth a look even like me you're not religious
- there's a decent Irish bar if you fancy a Guinness
- Topography of Terror
- Trabant museum
- Holocaust memorial

Don't expect a cooked breakfast anywhere!

Hibee Kev

Radge Donator
Radge Donator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Most of my recommendations have been covered already. We went in September.

- use the Trams they're pretty good
- Cathedral is worth a look even like me you're not religious
- there's a decent Irish bar if you fancy a Guinness
- Topography of Terror
- Trabant museum
- Holocaust memorial

Don't expect a cooked breakfast anywhere!
Forgot about the topography of terror museum, well worth a visit. We did that and checkpoint Charlie, as well as the remains of the Berlin Wall all in one morning.

Smurf

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Tremendous place. I appreciate the recommendations folks particularly [MENTION=3287]Sancho Panza[/MENTION]

Administrator
Administrator
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Player Sponsor
Gray Boot Sponsor
Part of Bounce
Where would you best to stay if you air bnb'd in Berlin? Never been and think of going in September?

Chester Perry

Radge Private Member
Private Member
Bounce Radge
Thought it was overrated, too big and crowded. Bullet holes at Olympic Stadium were an eye opener. And managed to vandalise Checkpoint Charlie.

Hibs v St.Johnstone

Harp and Castle Visit Dumbreck Decorators
Visit robertsons garage Visit Frutin Travel