• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Andy Murray to Retire?

Hibee Kev

Private Member
Reaction score
Tearful Murray suggests Aussie Open may be his last slam :(

Andy Murray says Australian Open could be his last tournament

Tearful Murray suggests Aussie Open may be his last slam :(

Andy Murray says Australian Open could be his last tournament
Folk won't know what they had till it's gone...

Yep, for the last 2 or 3 of years I've tried just to enjoy watching him play, without getting too emotionally invested on the actual outcome of his big matches (though obviously still hoping he wins). Best British sportsman of all time IMO. Proper champion with nothing left to prove.

The really sad thing is he's only 31 years old and when you think about Roger Federer who went on to win tournaments in his late 30's after injury.

Probably the most hardest working and most dedicated sportsman of my generation. Andy is a class act and great Hibby.

Really only warmed to him whenever I heard his Hibee history

Lad who survived one of Scotland darkest days to give Scottish sports fans some of their greatest moments (and i'm not a tennis fan). Retire, buy Hibs and we'll see you in the persevere pre-match Andy.

Probably the most hardest working and most dedicated sportsman of my generation. Andy is a class act and great Hibby.
Absolutely.Legend.Only slightly disapointlng thing is he never really pushed the Scottish angle with a saltire or a patch of his Murray tartan.

Absolutely.Legend.Only slightly disapointlng thing is he never really pushed the Scottish angle with a saltire or a patch of his Murray tartan.

He got pelters from a lot of the media for his ABE comments (made in jest) as well as showing support for Scottish independence. Probably decided it wasn't worth the grief.

Brilliant guy and like our own Lewis Stevenson, an inspiration to youngsters.

I used to see Judy around Bofa a bit - she was nice. She once helped my aunt off the train at Dunblane when she’d missed her stop and looked after her till I arrived.

The day Andy came to Dunblane for a parade after he won Wimbledon was amazing. He went way beyond the call of duty that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He got pelters from a lot of the media for his ABE comments (made in jest) as well as showing support for Scottish independence. Probably decided it wasn't worth the grief.
Agreed .

Brilliant guy and like our own Lewis Stevenson, an inspiration to youngsters.

I used to see Judy around Bofa a bit - she was nice. She once helped my aunt off the train at Dunblane when she’d missed her stop and looked after her till I arrived.

The day Andy came to Dunblane for a parade after he won Wimbledon was amazing. He went way beyond the call of duty that day.

Bofa: Bridge of allan.
Just tippled that.

Just tippled that.
Not there now sadly - down South now.

Just tippled that.
Im in Stirling and it's only ever referred to as Bofa lol

What, apart from his accent and everyone on the planet knowing that he is Scottish. The laddie did well to ignore the tartan, kilts and bagpipes cringeworthy stuff. He let his playing do the talking. Mind you I have heard English commentators and tennis players using Braveheart references several times this morning.

BIG G

What, apart from his accent and everyone on the planet knowing that he is Scottish. The laddie did well to ignore the tartan, kilts and bagpipes cringeworthy stuff. He let his playing do the talking. Mind you I have heard English commentators and tennis players using Braveheart references several times this morning.

BIG G
I never wanted him to come on court playing the bagpipes in a kilt.
Tartan,kilts and bagpipes cringe worthy? Are you English or what.

A fantastic sportsman and an incredible athlete, a true Scottish icon and it was the icing on the cake that it was a Scotsman that eventually won the jewel in the English crown of sporting events.

He dosnae half like a greet though!!

I never wanted him to come on court playing the bagpipes in a kilt.
Tartan,kilts and bagpipes cringe worthy? Are you English or what.

No. A music lover.

BIG G

Sad to see he's called it a day.After winning Wimbledon I'd have given him the freedom of Leith,if not Edinburgh.I hope since he's a hibbie he maybe puts something into the club,maybe make him a director or something.It would be great to give him a standing ovation at a big match.

So true

What a sad day. Andy Murray is without doubt the greatest tennis player Britain has ever produced. IMO he is Scotland's greatest ever sportsman and a great ambassador for Scotland and Hibs. A lad with a born talent who worked like hell to reach the very top in a sport where it is extremely difficult to succeed. His attitude and drive to win was quite exceptional. What a shame his fantastic career is being brought to an end prematurely. Two Wimbledon title wins and an American Open Title plus an Olympic gold. Andy was very unlucky that he was around at the same time the three greatest tennis players of all time otherwise he would certainly have won more titles.

Dearie me. What does it say about people that they can't be gracious, or even just keep their opinions to themselves, on the day a genuine world class athlete and legend of his sport makes this announcement.
Alan Brazil, of all people, having a go that Murray has "a problem" with crying all the time. Then snidey comments from him that it might be a problem not connected to tennis...
He's not worth the angst, I know. He's not fit to lace the boots of the legend that is the other A. Brazil. However, it's seriously poor form.

It really shouldn't need saying. He survived the massacre at Dunblane. There's not a hope in hell that it doesn't affect his very being. That horrible day 23 years ago saw two future multi Grand Slam tennis winners survive and go on to be No 1 in the world. I don't suspect these are mutually exclusive events. Even if it's not, I don't see the issue anyway.

And that's before we get on to the out and out haters...

We'd be hard pushed to nominate a better Scottish sportsman...ever.

Anyone judging him badly is fundamentally wrong about him. At a time where he competed with the three statistically best players ever, he achieved the following:

- 3x Major Champion (Wimbledon twice, and the US Open).
- 2x Olympic Gold Medal winner (Olympics 2012 and 2016).
- Davis Cup Winner for Great Britain (achieved in 2015).
- ATP World Tour champion (won in London in 2016).
- Winner of 14 Masters 1000 titles (several in 2016).
- Season ending World Number 1 (again, in 2016).

This isn't mentioning that he competed in every Major final at least once, and was only beaten by players ranked higher than him and who have won substantially more majors; Roger Federer is on 20, while Novak Djokovic is on 14.

He's been an exceptional player, has seen wonderful success despite the competition he's faced, and he's treated the sport with respect for his entire career. The fact he supports Hibs and Scottish independence is just the chocolate on top of the icing of the cake he's been as a tennis player.

This thread has been viewed 2575 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back