• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Accounts lodged at companies house

Central_Hibee

Private Member
Reaction score
Interesting Twitter thread from the lecturer on football finance at Liverpool university ....

Interesting that Leeann Dempster's wage has risen from 71k in 2013 to 208k last year. It was a successfull year right enough, so will be interesting to see what she gets after this year. Assuming a lot of it was bonus and her wages are likely to half no wonder she is up for change!

EDIT: Smurf has pointed out she didn't join till.summer 2014, so the rise is 117 to 208. Sounds more sensible, but the Twitter thread is of interest regardless.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_104214.jpg
    IMG_20190206_104214.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Leeann didn't join the club until the summer 2014?

Ah ok, so with results out at year end it has risen from 117 to 208.

Interesting that our wages to income ratio is quoted as being at lower end of SPFL. It's hard to compare apples with apples but would be good to hear a view from the board on this. Especially as we have an outsourced catering operation so whereas other clubs may have, say, £200,000 of pie money going through as income (with associated costs going back out) we'd only have, say, £50,000 of caterers rights payments. That approach should make our wages to income ratio higher than other clubs with everything else being equal.

Ah ok, so with results out at year end it has risen from 117 to 208.

She received a salary increase of £40k approx and £30k approx in pension contributions.

Her emoluments last year weren't £117k, but £137k.

Her emoluments last year weren't £117k, but £137k.
No but 117k was from her first year. I was talking about the increase over her duration rather than the 51% rise she got in overall package last year.

Some more of the info. Interestingly we did spend more than anyone else other than the top 3 on player purchases.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_112527.jpg
    IMG_20190206_112527.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190206_112530.jpg
    IMG_20190206_112530.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190206_112533.jpg
    IMG_20190206_112533.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190206_112544.jpg
    IMG_20190206_112544.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190206_112547.jpg
    IMG_20190206_112547.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 16
Some more of the info. Interestingly we did spend more than anyone else other than the top 3 on player purchases.
Oh dear,some folk are going to be disappointed with that fact.
Myths being smashed.....

No but 117k was from her first year. I was talking about the increase over her duration rather than the 51% rise she got in overall package last year.

Ah. I see.

The £117k would have been her total pay from that financial year rather than annual salary. If she was appointed during that year as Smurf suggests then that could be covering 'x' months rather than 12.
Also, Hibs changed their financial year to run with the 'football year' some time ago which may further muddy the waters. @SlovSam is needed!

Ah. I see.

The £117k would have been her total pay from that financial year rather than annual salary. If she was appointed during that year as Smurf suggests then that could be covering 'x' months rather than 12.
Also, Hibs changed their financial year to run with the 'football year' some time ago which may further muddy the waters. @SlovSam is needed!
I'm sensing you feel the need to be slightly defensive here, but I'm not suggesting she is on too much, just that she may be in for a fall this year if a lot of it is performance related which the graph would suggest.... peak for winning Scottish cup then a fall.... If my wages were in for a substantial hit that would have made me a lot more pissed off with Lenny's (NL for those that find that word offensive) actions and results recently is all I'm suggesting.

The graphs would certainly seem to dispell some of the ambition accusations flying about, wages are miles higher than what we were spending pre-relegation. 43% higher?

Last edited:
Not intending to be defensive, I just got a bit confused.......... :oops:
By coincidence the total emoluments of £117k quoted, equates to what her actual salary was last year. Hence my confusion!
(y)

Oh dear,some folk are going to be disappointed with that fact.
Myths being smashed.....
Indeed - I thought our board was unwilling to spend money, and in fact were spending it all on topiary at East Mains instead of "matching Lenny's ambitions"...

Disappointing to see our wages to income ratio has dropped at a time when it should be increased.

Disappointing to see our wages to income ratio has dropped at a time when it should be increased.

Cause they're all loanees or already on contracts. So I can see why the % is how it is.
Next year it'll spike back up.

The most disappointing part of all of it, is that we've got a light squad that we barely own, when evidently there's room to move still.

Even at those numbers though, we pay better than most though.

Cause they're all loanees or already on contracts. So I can see why the % is how it is.
Next year it'll spike back up.

The most disappointing part of all of it, is that we've got a light squad that we barely own, when evidently there's room to move still.

Even at those numbers though, we pay better than most though.

This is also my worry on the player front. We need to bring in more players on long term deals and potentially become sell on assets.

That's probably due to income being slightly higher than predicted by the end of the year, majority of players being signed at the start of that year.

I recall at the AGM some chap asked a question around LDs money.

Rod rescued the star struck Jamie, he's not used to being asked awkward questions.

Our paid directors salaries are agreed with a small number of nonexec directors who take guidance from some independent directors salary review body.

Also muddying the waters was that a director, or directors, had become quite creative with pension payments - as they are allowed to do - and this might look as though remuneration packages are a bit topsy turvy (not the actual actuarial term).

Indeed - I thought our board was unwilling to spend money, and in fact were spending it all on topiary at East Mains instead of "matching Lenny's ambitions"...

Hedge funds?
:))

The more I think about it, it seems like a normal amount for someone in that position in a £10m turnover business with a high profile, media to deal with etc.

Until 2 weeks ago no one would probably have grudged it.

I imagine she pensions anything above 150k so she doesn't need to pay 50% tax, but that's her business.

The big worry is we are now spending 5.5m a year (approx) as opposed to 3.5, and it could be argued the squad isnt as good, or certainly not 41% better. This summer is huge as we can't continue to spunk the money away.

I recall at the AGM some chap asked a question around LDs money.

Rod rescued the star struck Jamie, he's not used to being asked awkward questions.

Our paid directors salaries are agreed with a small number of nonexec directors who take guidance from some independent directors salary review body.

Also muddying the waters was that a director, or directors, had become quite creative with pension payments - as they are allowed to do - and this might look as though remuneration packages are a bit topsy turvy (not the actual actuarial term).

Salary sacrifice I think jack.

Basically takes money off the 'top' of your pay and sticks it into a pension pot saving tax etc.
Although there is tax to come when it is realised as income depending upon other circumstances.

Hedge funds?
:))
Maybe this is what we should be doing, 50% money raised through sales pumped in to emerging markets etc. We could be the Norway of the SPFL in 10 years. :burnout:

Salary sacrifice I think jack.

Basically takes money off the 'top' of your pay and sticks it into a pension pot saving tax etc.
Although there is tax to come when it is realised as income depending upon other circumstances.
That applies to normal pension contributions too though, income tax is paid when you draw the pension and not the contribution. Otherwise it would be taxed twice. Salary sacrifice saves the employee, and more importantly the employer, paying NI on the pension contributions.

Another graph he has added.

Attachments

• IMG_20190206_140418.jpg
    IMG_20190206_140418.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 19
That applies to normal pension contributions too though, income tax is paid when you draw the pension and not the contribution. Otherwise it would be taxed twice. Salary sacrifice saves the employee, and more importantly the employer, paying NI on the pension contributions.

Yep - I take advantage of this scheme. Just pointing out that it wasn't a 'tax dodge' although representing a good deal for employer and employee.

Yep - I take advantage of this scheme. Just pointing out that it wasn't a 'tax dodge' although representing a good deal for employer and employee.
So do I :icon-lol: so wouldn't criticise them. Makes sense for both parties.

I've nothing against high performing executives being remunerated accordingly with incentives for excellent performance. Just as long as there's consequences for under performance.

Could also depend on the actual "number of staff" taken into the calculation, compared to other SPL clubs. How many staff are on Hibs payroll compared to say Aberdeen ??

That's some package Dempster is making out of Hibs. She must be the only one connected with the club who is happy this morning.

That's some package Dempster is making out of Hibs. She must be the only one connected with the club who is happy this morning.

Pretty decent wedge - hopefully she will earn it and make sure we get a decent coach in now. That's got to be her priority.
A wee statement through her PR guy Forsythe about progress, even something bland, might help communications too - although I just want the thing done and dusted. The longer we have aimless players and a lack of leadership on and off the park the more encouragement there is for criticism.

Pretty decent wedge - hopefully she will earn it and make sure we get a decent coach in now. That's got to be her priority.
A wee statement through her PR guy Forsythe about progress, even something bland, might help communications too - although I just want the thing done and dusted. The longer we have aimless players and a lack of leadership on and off the park the more encouragement there is for criticism.

Agreed. Time for her to get Grant Stott in to do a wee video interview. Sorry I forgot season tickets are not yet on sale....

This thread has been viewed 3562 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back