• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

25 years ago today

Greenmachine

Private Member
Reaction score
Hibs won the Skol Cup/League Cup beating Dunfermline 2-0 at Hampden.

Incredible day and still the biggest Hibs support I have seen outside of Edinburgh in my lifetime.
All my family were there...even my mum and dad !
It was a poor game to be honest...too much tension..and it took a dodgy penalty early in the second half to set us on our way, but Keith Wright's goal sealed the cup.
To win this cup so soon after the Mercer takeover fiasco was just incredible.
It was the first time I had ever seen Hibs win a major trophy and I'm so glad I saw them win a cup at the old Hampden as well for some reason !
I went to Easter Road that night with my family and saw them parade both cups around the pitch in front of a packed stadium.
The (unfairly IMO) maligned Alex Miller won our first major trophy for us for 19 years and that team had a great balance to it and a good mix of youth and experience.

Great memories...can hardly believe it was 25 years ago.

My first ever Hibs game at 3 years old.

I cant remember any of it but I have been told that I wanted a Pie and made my Dad miss the 1st goal.

Ah that reminds me....mind put yer clocks back this weekend folks. :glassraise:

In 91 ma mate Evi was banging oan ma door (wearing homemade dreadlocks -cut up black socks- hingin' oot fae under his Hibs/Rasta hat :smoke:....I ken....I dunno either? :giggle:) at 7 in the morning tellin' me that "I cannae be late on theday of all days..."

The Gunner didnae open till 10! "Fuck off ya senile dementia basturt!!"

one of the great days following Hibs..was 17 at the time and went with southfield and a few others from porty

very good times

23 year auld i was , going to the game ma mates had borrowed their works crew bus with bench seats for the trip through to the weedge cannae mind a lot of what went on during the game but we were standing in the north enclosure closest to the goal line , abiding memory was us going fighting with an idiot who had just belted his missus for not standing up for the hibees . as stated above , it was a poor, nervous game up untill the second goal went in and can remember scott leach having a great chance at 1_0, then up steps keef keef keef to make it 2_0

Travel back the bus was rocking but we belted back through and were amongst the first to arrive and all the way from maybury the streets were beginning to fill and we headed to my mate hendo`s flat in albion terrace to a quick sesh:smoke: and then roon tae the groond tae see micky weir stand on the hoarding of the east terracing right in front of us with the cup held high nearly as high as i was :rascal: , what a feckin night .:yas:

It was all so different back in 1991 as the game was pay at the gate and as a result a fair number of Hibs fans didn't get in even though the stadium was 10,000 short of capacity.

The open top parade was then held on the night of the game with Hibs just opening all the exit gates to the stadium and letting everyone in.

Plenty space as well and Alex Miller deservedly took his place in Hibs history.

It was a final where Hibs were firm favourites having gubbed Dunfermline 4:0 the week before. Dunfermline only being in the final courtesy of some very dubious penalty in the other semi final v Airdrie.

Think Jimmy Sandison a really irritating Jambo was involved so not all bad.

Thx @@@@ it wisnae Airdrie mind as they had our number in that era.

Ah that reminds me....mind put yer clocks back this weekend folks. :glassraise:

In 91 ma mate Evi was banging oan ma door (wearing homemade dreadlocks -cut up black socks- hingin' oot fae under his Hibs/Rasta hat :smoke:....I ken....I dunno either? :giggle:) at 7 in the morning tellin' me that "I cannae be late on theday of all days..."

The Gunner didnae open till 10! "$#@! off ya senile dementia basturt!!"

Did a player,possibly Gordon Hunter,not do the same and turn up early and think he'd missed the team bus?

Great time. Loved that match. Went to every match home and away in that competition. We deserved the trophy.

We were alive then. We are alive now.

He's deid.

Did a player,possibly Gordon Hunter,not do the same and turn up early and think he'd missed the team bus?

He did.
Twice.

He told that very story tonight.

For the record...

CCI11102011_00008.jpg

Nah TBH I cannae remember but the story rings a bell grandpa

Edit: Just seen Sir Shrink's post....:fyi: :raisehat:

400-1347.jpg

Sorted.

Went to Hampden on a juice lorry I took home from work...wasnt the big bon accord, but Krysat Klear (merc 308 open wagon) with my 5yr old son very dodgedly in the front passenger seat...you got away with more back then! Had a minor bump on the way with the rear of someones car who wouldn;t go round the corner quick enough. That played on my mind a bit for the rest of the day in case I had to pay some cash out..think I did, not too much in the end but enough to stop insurance claim. At the game I rather flukely got to the turnstiles quite late...but just in time as they were opening an extra door to cope with backlog and I got straight in with about 5 mins till kick off...I heard up to 2k got locked out. The game itself I dont remember a whole lot of but I remember having to keep my son on my shoulder the entire game as everyone was stood up around me. That didn't make the enjoyment factor great, but I did enjoy the win. Sod knows why my bro never went, lazy git probably forgot to request a day off work.

Had to return to Airdrie at night so missed the Ednburgh party

This thread has been viewed 2810 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50