• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Politics SNP walk out of Parliament.

Chris G Whyte

Private Member
Reaction score
Yep.

Because Ian Blackford was asked to leave after pushing for a private sitting. The speaker, John Bercow, asked if he wanted it to happen now, or after the current sitting; Blackford asked for now, which the speaker then removed the option for, and he wouldn't accept a point of order.

As a result of the realisation that Scotland simply isn't going to get a fair hearing from its elected representatives, the entire SNP cohort walked out with Blackford.

This union, if ever it really was one, is on its last legs.

Hail, hail the Right Honourable Member for the Bounce!

Seriously this government is surely on its last legs.

A failed Union is one thing a dictatorship something else.

I still can't edit, but this is the incident on YouTube. Gods bless the Internet.

Was saying to someone this morning I'm getting a wee bit tired of the soundbite SNP, talking a good game but not being up for the fight. Since the last GE I've found the SNP in both parliaments to be fairly bland, middle of the road. Been pretty frustrated by them tbh, was a member but opted to leave. I've also felt that Ian Blackford ( good Hibby etc) struggled with PMQs.
I really hope today is the start of a revitalised aggressive SNP, Blackford was excellent, both in the chamber and after in the media.

Was saying to someone this morning I'm getting a wee bit tired of the soundbite SNP, talking a good game but not being up for the fight. Since the last GE I've found the SNP in both parliaments to be fairly bland, middle of the road. Been pretty frustrated by them tbh, was a member but opted to leave. I've also felt that Ian Blackford ( good Hibby etc) struggled with PMQs.
I really hope today is the start of a revitalised aggressive SNP, Blackford was excellent, both in the chamber and after in the media.
I tend to agree, actually.

Their 2017 manifesto was extremely timid, particularly in comparison with 2015's that was radical in comparison to what was on offer elsewhere. A bit like Labour, I often opine that the SNP feel stronger when they behave like a movement as opposed to a political machine.

Yep.

Because Ian Blackford was asked to leave after pushing for a private sitting. The speaker, John Bercow, asked if he wanted it to happen now, or after the current sitting; Blackford asked for now, which the speaker then removed the option for, and he wouldn't accept a point of order.

As a result of the realisation that Scotland simply isn't going to get a fair hearing from its elected representatives, the entire SNP cohort walked out with Blackford.

This union, if ever it really was one, is on its last legs.

I watched that unfold. He was quite right too. The speaker showed a great deal of disrespect in the way he handled the situation and seemed to delight in it if I'm honest. When questioned by whatshername on Daily Politics afterwards it appeared that she was trying to lay the blame at his doorstep and he was having none of it.

well done @SkyeHibs .... I fully approve.

he gets banned for a day for not sitting down but a Tory suggests SNP mps commit suicide and no action is taken against him.

I watched that unfold. He was quite right too. The speaker showed a great deal of disrespect in the way he handled the situation and seemed to delight in it if I'm honest. When questioned by whatshername on Daily Politics afterwards it appeared that she was trying to lay the blame at his doorstep and he was having none of it.
And the standing orders (in this case, 163) are pretty clear:

"No. 163 provides that, if at any sitting of the House, or in a committee of the whole House, any Member moves 'That the House sit in private', the Speaker or the chair shall forthwith put the question".

And this is only obvious because it'd be pretty pointless to have the house sit in private AFTER the sitting. "Forthwith" means immediately. Blackford made the right choice, and was asked to leave for his trouble.

This is a bad day for Westminster, and I think the SNP are itching to make it worse.
he gets banned for a day for not sitting down but a Tory suggests SNP mps commit suicide and no action is taken against him.
Here's the clip:

Finally in Westminster they've shown some backbone. The SNP are in danger of being as insipid as the 'Feeble Fifty' Labour MP's 1988. Back then a young Alex Salmond showed what could be done interrupting Nigel Lawson's budget. FWIW I think Ian Blackford has asked good questions and good follow up questions at PMQ's but it needs more than that IMO to make any more difference than the 'Feeble Fifty'.

Finally in Westminster they've shown some backbone. The SNP are in danger of being as insipid as the 'Feeble Fifty' Labour MP's 1988. Back then a young Alex Salmond showed what could be done interrupting Nigel Lawson's budget. FWIW I think Ian Blackford has asked good questions and good follow up questions at PMQ's but it needs more than that IMO to make any more difference than the 'Feeble Fifty'.
Donald Dewar walked the 50 out of parliament in 1987 when he felt Scotland was being ignored. Some hefty politicians within that 50 too.

Dewar and Smith would be mortified by the actions on unionist parties over the last year.

And the standing orders (in this case, 163) are pretty clear:

"No. 163 provides that, if at any sitting of the House, or in a committee of the whole House, any Member moves 'That the House sit in private', the Speaker or the chair shall forthwith put the question".

And this is only obvious because it'd be pretty pointless to have the house sit in private AFTER the sitting. "Forthwith" means immediately. Blackford made the right choice, and was asked to leave for his trouble.

This is a bad day for Westminster, and I think the SNP are itching to make it worse.

Here's the clip:

It appears that while Ian was walking out, the speaker mumbled that they did have to accede to the request and sit in private but by then he had dismissed him from the chamber.

I'm watching Scottish Politics just now and the word "stunt" is being thrown around by everyone except of course the SNP.

It was obviously a stunt, to say it was anything else would be silly. They needed a way getting into the spotlight and this was pretty much an ace. Ask for something you'll not get, refuse to stand down, get chucked out, all leave team handed.

It worked, everyone is now talking about it. It's all The SNP have at Westminster, stunts. Use them, cause a wee bit chaos, braying tories to the people for what they are.

It was obviously a stunt, to say it was anything else would be silly. They needed a way getting into the spotlight and this was pretty much an ace. Ask for something you'll not get, refuse to stand down, get chucked out, all leave team handed.

It worked, everyone is now talking about it. It's all The SNP have at Westminster, stunts. Use them, cause a wee bit chaos, braying tories to the people for what they are.

Yep, how I see it too. Media Stunt to highlight what a bunch of *&*^ the majority of the chamber is to the masses of the population that don't usually follow.
A uninspiring couple of PMQs wouldn't have caught the public's attention.

Watch the reporting story be tailored though.

So on here over the past 12 hours I have read that 'The Union is on it's last legs' , 'The Government is on it's last legs' and 'The Labour Party is finished'. O Me Miserum, whom am I to believe? My prediction is that Hibs will win 3-0.

BIG G

1000+ new SNP members since today's events. Quite a successful stunt.

Protest outside Scottish Parliament at 11 the morn aswell...The union is dead.

Other countries must look at this with the braying Tory fucks and some tosser shouting “order, order” about 400 times and be quite glad the UK is such an insignificant country in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way Bercow says ‘Order’ boils ma pish

He's a tosser. An arrogant pompous prick. And a bully.

"Big John... Big bad John". Quite like his Mrs though...

He's a tosser. An arrogant pompous prick. And a bully.

"Big John... Big bad John". Quite like his Mrs though...

Likening him to Jimmy Dean's big John is a no no young Smurf :duel:

Awwwdr, Awwwdr. Does my head in.

Likening him to Jimmy Dean's big John is a no no young Smurf :duel:

BBC's This Week sometimes play the song with footage of him walking into the Commons at the end of their programme.

Reactions: Dub
BBC's This Week sometimes play the song with footage of him walking into the Commons at the end of their programme.

Ah OK then. I don't watch This Week mainly because it's crap but partially because Neill is a complete cock.

Labour yet again proved last night they are the red Tories.Westminster cares not a jot for Scotland , I respect other people's opinions , but I fail this see, no matter how hard I try , why people in this country want to be a part of it .
It's a horrible, vile, corrupt establishment .
It saddens me so much, that this generation will forever be known , as the one that shat it.

It saddens me so much, that this generation will forever be known , as the one that shat it.

Me too, mate. Me too.

But I'm ready to get out knocking doors again right fcukin now. Just give me that chance. I stand ready, as do others I know; in fact, pretty much everyone I know who did campaign are on a standing order.

Ah OK then. I don't watch This Week mainly because it's crap but partially because Neill is a complete cock.

It's excellent!

Your choice of ladies is excellent. This Week is totally gash [emoji16]
It's excellent!

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

ODDDAA ODDDAA. And these are the clowns running the country.

ODDDAA ODDDAA. And these are the clowns running the country.
Rich coming form a resident of the United States of Trumpet.

BIG G

Your choice of ladies is excellent. This Week is totally gash [emoji16]

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Andrew Neil might be a Tory but professionally he grills all of them. Not as good as it used to be but I find it enjoyable.

This incident seems to have grown legs. Given where I work and who I work with, let me just tell you that a number of people of differing nationalities have asked me about this today. It's getting international coverage, and most commentary is on the side of Blackford and the MPs that walked out.

What's potentially more impactful is that even Murray Foote, author of the infamous 'Vow', has now come out and stated that Scotland needs independence.

I've been so keen to keep banging on about the key aspect of independence - democracy.

It's not about economics or individual policies, it's not about left versus right, it's not a question of Hibs against Hearts. It's a question of Scotland getting the governments it votes for, and not getting governments voted for on its behalf. The rug has now been pulled from under the façade of devolution, not just here but in Wales, and the "Irish border question" is showing no signs of a solution in the offing.

Yesterday's stunt, that drew attention to the SNPs plight to be part of a debate that Labour partly killed and that a Conservative filibustered the rest of, has centred attention on the democratic deficit. Careful management of THAT message, and not arguing about policies, is what will shove Scotland toward the independence that it now absolutely needs.

Even Kezia grudgingly supported the SNP yesterday. That's how far down the rabbit hole we've now tumbled.

Only one policy matters prior to independence:

Independence.

Everything else comes after, and the last two days have shown exactly why. Look at Nadine Dorries tweet, clearly (and truthfully) stating that Scottish MPs have "zero power or impact". She's saying, again accurately, that the elected representatives of Scotland have no influence at Westminster.

Conservatives treat Scotland with utter contempt, and Labour can only be relied upon to abstain.

In their attempt to belittle the cause for Scottish self-sovereignty, they may have just presented it with its biggest own goal.

We can't afford not to punt the ball through the fucking net. This is a chance that may not come again.

Last edited:
Andrew Neil might be a Tory but professionally he grills all of them. Not as good as it used to be but I find it enjoyable.
You like it because you like to watch the political giant Liz Kendal dress as a Cowgirl, Vampire, Flapper as she has done. The show is shite. Neil is an overpaid bufoon.
BIG G

So on here over the past 12 hours I have read that 'The Union is on it's last legs' , 'The Government is on it's last legs' and 'The Labour Party is finished'. O Me Miserum, whom am I to believe?

None of those exclude any of the others.

None of those exclude any of the others.
They could all be true, simultaneously.

Equally, some could be true and others untrue.

Heck, they could all be untrue.

I think, what we can say with certainty, is that this government has badly read the mood in Scotland, that the Labour party in Scotland is most likely finished in its current incarnation, and the union is potentially at its weakest point since 1707.

You like it because you like to watch the political giant Liz Kendal dress as a Cowgirl, Vampire, Flapper as she has done. The show is shite. Neil is an overpaid bufoon.
BIG G

She's got braw legs....

She's got braw legs....
Andrew Neil?

Lest he who will not be judged... ;)

Andrew Neil?

Lest he who will not be judged... ;)

No #fourpercent

This thread has been viewed 5069 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back