Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    vCash

Special Forces Rescue Reporter

Just wondering what the Cowshed thought about this.

"Hostage negotiators expressed shock and anger at Gordon Browns decision to approve a commando raid to free a kidnapped British journalist, saying that they were within days of securing his release through peaceful means. "

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    vCash

Re: Special Forces Rescue Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Burbank Lilywhite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wondering what the Cowshed thought about this.

"Hostage negotiators expressed shock and anger at Gordon Browns decision to approve a commando raid to free a kidnapped British journalist, saying that they were within days of securing his release through peaceful means. "

This is a difficult one to call considering that apparently all but one of the journos that have been kidanpped in Afghanistan have been released after negotiation (the one that wasn't managed to escape) so there is previous with getting folks out alive. Add to the fact that the rescue also led to the death of one of the rescuers and the journalists interpretor then there is a tip in the balance towards a wrong decision being made.

However we are meant to be on a war footing against the Taleban in the various provences plus there is also the question of the real cost of paying a ransom to any group. If the money is used to buy more guns and more explosives then the decison to rescue has to be taken. In addition it also sends a message to any would be future kidnappers that there is a real risk that there is going to be some vengence dropping in through their front door at any minute.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

These guys go out every few days and conduct operation's like this, they have high intel and heavy support, we are at war with the taliban it does'nt matter where or how we meet them, these guys at SFSG are the most used soilders in the brittish army and are a class act, they are mainly Parachute regiment soilders who will go that extra mile to get the job done. The lad who was killed died a Paratrooper's death. "EVERY MAN AN EMPORER!"
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Colchester Hibs View Post
    Parachute regiment soldiers who will go that extra mile to get the job done. "
    It looks like they went too far this time. The reporter could have been realised without a shot being fired.
    Sounds like three pointless deaths which could have been avoided.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

You dont know what your talkin about! Do you think it was up to the soldiers to go in, it was'nt, it was ordered by ISAF/Brittish gov. If it was'nt for soilders like the Parachute regiment/Special forces in Afghanistan there would be a higher amount of death's to normal infantry soilders, ie hostage rescue, bomb factories taken out, high level targets and stuff YOU will never hear off, so dont give me that pish that they went too far, what would you rather, wait to get your head cut off or chance the risk of being freed by some of the best soldiers in the world? no brainer to me mate!
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    204 Post(s)
    vCash

You dont know what your talkin about! Do you think it was up to the soldiers to go in, it was'nt, it was ordered by ISAF/Brittish gov. If it was'nt for soilders like the Parachute regiment/Special forces in Afghanistan there would be a higher amount of death's to normal infantry soilders, ie hostage rescue, bomb factories taken out, high level targets and stuff YOU will never hear off, so dont give me that pish that they went too far, what would you rather, wait to get your head cut off or chance the risk of being freed by some of the best soldiers in the world? no brainer to me mate!
    I think it is Gordon Brown's decision that is being questioned here.

It doesn't go any higher than that.

Unless you count Obama, but that's another matter.
    'Hard work beats talent every time when talent doesn't work hard.'

John Hughes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

You dont know what your talking about! Do you think it was up to the soldiers to go in, it wasn't, it was ordered by ISAF/British gov. If it wasn't for soldiers like the Parachute regiment/Special forces in Afghanistan there would be a higher amount of death's to normal infantry soldiers, ie hostage rescue, bomb factories taken out, high level targets and stuff YOU will never hear off, so dont give me that fish that they went too far, what would you rather, wait to get your head cut off or chance the risk of being freed by some of the best soldiers in the world? no brainer to me mate!
    According to the report the kidnappers were after a ransom not an infidel to sacrifice.
    Im just going by what was said by Westerners at the scene. They felt the raid was heavy handed and avoidable.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

"The westeners at the scene", aye cause the taliban talk to random westeners in afghanistan, and they felt the raid was "heavy handed and avoidable", so you think that " westeners" where at the hostage location at 4 am in the morning thinking oh this is a bit rough isn't it? Dont think so mate, the opportunity was there to free the hostage, the taliban would haved moved the hostage and the interpreter to a unknown location and without a shadow of a doubt they would have executed the interpreter and possibly the hostage if Special Forces had'nt gone in. It was a tough call to make and believe me the lad's would have wanted to see the job through and they did. We know the risk's and accept them. The thing to remember is the taliban are mainly foreign fighters, some even from our own country, would you rather fight them here or there, either way its still going to happen. Get behind the soldiers and back them, dont come on here talkin pish about soldiers being heavy handed, the taliban execute people for feckall, that's heavy handed.
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    vCash

"The westeners at the scene", aye cause the taliban talk to random westeners in afghanistan, and they felt the raid was "heavy handed and avoidable", so you think that " westeners" where at the hostage location at 4 am in the morning thinking oh this is a bit rough isn't it? Dont think so mate, the opportunity was there to free the hostage, the taliban would haved moved the hostage and the interpreter to a unknown location and without a shadow of a doubt they would have executed the interpreter and possibly the hostage if Special Forces had'nt gone in. It was a tough call to make and believe me the lad's would have wanted to see the job through and they did. We know the risk's and accept them. The thing to remember is the taliban are mainly foreign fighters, some even from our own country, would you rather fight them here or there, either way its still going to happen. Get behind the soldiers and back them, dont come on here talkin pish about soldiers being heavy handed, the taliban execute people for feckall, that's heavy handed.
    Well they have released all the other journalists after negotiation (ie ransom getting paid) so it's not really without a shadow of a doubt is it?

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

Read again, ill think you will find when any westener is captured along with a interpretur the terp ends up dead. I cant believe there is people on here trying to say it was wrong to go in and free the reporter, tell me one british hostage where money has been paid to the taliban to free a captive, none, it would send out the wrong message to the taliban if we start paying money for our own bloke's safety, which is definitely not the road we want to go down. Get a feckin grip!
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    vCash

Read again, ill think you will find when any westener is captured along with a interpretur the terp ends up dead. I cant believe there is people on here trying to say it was wrong to go in and free the reporter, tell me one british hostage where money has been paid to the taliban to free a captive, none, it would send out the wrong message to the taliban if we start paying money for our own bloke's safety, which is definitely not the road we want to go down. Get a feckin grip!
    I did read what you said. And you were wrong. According to someone else who will be pretty aware of the situation there.

Quote Originally Posted by KABULHIBBY
    This is a difficult one to call considering that apparently all but one of the journos that have been kidanpped in Afghanistan have been released after negotiation (the one that wasn't managed to escape) so there is previous with getting folks out alive. Add to the fact that the rescue also led to the death of one of the rescuers and the journalists interpretor then there is a tip in the balance towards a wrong decision being made.
    Oh, and if you don't want to hear peoples opinions then you shouldn't $#@!ing read anything other than the army times. Shouting people down with a big "I know so shut up" isn't only pretty fecking patronising to others who disagree with you, it does $#@! all for the debate.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4385 Post(s)
    vCash

Get behind the soldiers and back them, dont come on here talkin pish about soldiers being heavy handed, the taliban execute people for feckall, that's heavy handed.
    I reckon you'll find most on the bounce back the armed forces, possibly not the politicians who send our country to wars alot dont agree with, but the guys on the ground get a big backing from joe public I reckon.In saying that, like every walk of life, I'm sure the armed forces have their fair share of morons who do act in a heavy handed way and act outwith their remit.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wee 162 View Post
    I did read what you said. And you were wrong. According to someone else who will be pretty aware of the situation there.

Oh, and if you don't want to hear peoples opinions then you shouldn't $#@!ing read anything other than the army times. Shouting people down with a big "I know so shut up" isn't only pretty fecking patronising to others who disagree with you, it does $#@! all for the debate.
    Ive spent nearly two years out in afghanistan, trust me i know the situation there, also being in the same regiment as the lad who was killed. I will say again the British gov do not pay money for hostages, also the reporter may have been mi6 according to the press, if so it was even more imperative to get him out, there is more to this story and we wont find out, it was still the right decision to get him out IMHO! Oh and what the feck is the army times!
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Colchester, It doesnt look good to come on a forum and start accussing people of talking pish simply because they dont agree with you. The whole point of a forum is for independant debate.
    Not everyone feels as passionate about the Parachute Reg. as you do. They make mistakes like everyone else and you shouldnt get upset when people say so. Like i said its all about opinions.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    I reckon you'll find most on the bounce back the armed forces, possibly not the politicians who send our country to wars alot dont agree with, but the guys on the ground get a big backing from joe public I reckon.In saying that, like every walk of life, I'm sure the armed forces have their fair share of morons who do act in a heavy handed way and act outwith their remit.
    I agree with you there is soldiers who are trigger happy, however an opperation like this done at night will have had the upmost planning, at night with night vision on the SFSG/SBS will not have been trigger happy, the control measures for an op like this are very important they would have had real time feed from air assets guideing them to the enemy positions. Special forces dont fire from the hip hopeing to hit somthing, they train for this situation for months/years, this is why i have a problem with people saying they where heavy handed, if they had there would have been more then just a few dead.
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Thomo View Post
    Colchester, It doesnt look good to come on a forum and start accussing people of talking pish simply because they dont agree with you. The whole point of a forum is for independant debate.
    Not everyone feels as passionate about the Parachute Reg. as you do. They make mistakes like everyone else and you shouldnt get upset when people say so. Like i said its all about opinions.
    Fair one, i wear my heart on my sleeve and for that im sorry, but the SF group who done this job never made any mistakes, the job was to get the reporter out and they did, it is a shame John Harrison died but that is the risk we take every day out there no matter what the job is.
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    vCash

Ive spent nearly two years out in afghanistan, trust me i know the situation there, also being in the same regiment as the lad who was killed. I will say again the British gov do not pay money for hostages, also the reporter may have been mi6 according to the press, if so it was even more imperative to get him out, there is more to this story and we wont find out, it was still the right decision to get him out IMHO! Oh and what the feck is the army times!
    Do you think KABULHIBBY is someone who hasn't been in Afghanistan? He is taking a far more nuanced point of view on this than you are (one which I happen to be in agreement with) and you are saying that he's talking $#@!e. So whose experience should I take on board?

And I take it you were/ are in the parachute regiment then? What's your take on Bloody Sunday? Bit impetuous? Been hard done by? Or an acceptance that your regiment slaughtered 28 innocent civilians involved in a peace march?

The Army Times is a made up paper which has no room for dissent (or thinking). Think The Daily Mail but soldiers rather than right wing xenophobes in charge of the editorial line.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wee 162 View Post
    Do you think KABULHIBBY is someone who hasn't been in Afghanistan? He is taking a far more nuanced point of view on this than you are (one which I happen to be in agreement with) and you are saying that he's talking $#@!e. So whose experience should I take on board?

And I take it you were/ are in the parachute regiment then? What's your take on Bloody Sunday? Bit impetuous? Been hard done by? Or an acceptance that your regiment slaughtered 28 innocent civilians involved in a peace march?

The Army Times is a made up paper which has no room for dissent (or thinking). Think The Daily Mail but soldiers rather than right wing xenophobes in charge of the editorial line.
    WTF has this got to do with bloody sunday? 28 dead? go fish somwhere else.
    HEARTS ARE NADE!

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    vCash

Considering your first, now edited, comments on the thread that is a serious understatement.

There are a lot of armchair generals who have not been near a combat zone, outside of the realms of Sky or CNN or Ross Kemp and think that that gives them right to second guess and cirticise the guys on the ground doing the fecking job.

Certain commentators also seem to forget that it is the Armed Forces going into potentially hostile and deadly situations and think that the military go in looking to keep the peace. WRONG they go in 2 up with bags of smoke and agression (to coin an oft used phrase), they want to get in and out as fast as possible causing as much confussion and mayhem as that makes their job 100 times easier.

If you are looking to blame or question anyone, then use your MP to question the SOS for Defence and his boss as to why the decision was made, it was not the decision of the military or the SFSG, they just had to implement the plan

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    159 Post(s)
    vCash

Guys sitting in front of computer screens dont have the full information at hand to sound off about the pros and cons of a legitimate military operation in a war zone.

On the other hand we do have the right to ask why NATO forces are in Afghanistan? It's hardly the North Atlantic. Can't recall the North Atlantic Treaty covering the middle east.

Public opinion in UK is now overwhelmingly against being there. The whole military campaign in Afghanistan is one big political $#@! up with no end game to it.

Seems to me the armed forces have been hung out to dry fighting an unwinnable war by the muppets in Westminster. A national $#@!ing disgrace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KABULHIBBY View Post
    Considering your first, now edited, comments on the thread that is a serious understatement.

There are a lot of armchair generals who have not been near a combat zone, outside of the realms of Sky or CNN or Ross Kemp and think that that gives them right to second guess and criticise the guys on the ground doing the fecking job.

Certain commentators also seem to forget that it is the Armed Forces going into potentially hostile and deadly situations and think that the military go in looking to keep the peace. WRONG they go in 2 up with bags of smoke and aggression (to coin an oft used phrase), they want to get in and out as fast as possible causing as much confusion and mayhem as that makes their job 100 times easier.

If you are looking to blame or question anyone, then use your MP to question the SOS for Defence and his boss as to why the decision was made, it was not the decision of the military or the SFSG, they just had to implement the plan
    My first post was edited because i decided it had nothing to do with the original post about the rescue.

As for the rescue itself i quoted and gave an opinion on the link provided. It was observers at the scene who said the rescue was unnecessary not me. Your right that i have never been to war but at the same time ive never played for Hibs im still allowed to give an opinion.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    vCash

My first post was edited because i decided it had nothing to do with the original post about the rescue.

As for the rescue itself i quoted and gave an opinion on the link provided. It was observers at the scene who said the rescue was unnecessary not me. Your right that i have never been to war but at the same time ive never played for Hibs im still allowed to give an opinion.
    Aye and if a former Hibs player came on and told you that you were slavering unadulterated p1sh you'd probably accept that and rethink your opinion

GoGO Back To Forum