Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    vCash

New Australian drink limits

The Govt here has just come out with these recommendations for safe consumption of alcohol

New alcohol guidelines "major wake-up call" - National News - National - General - The Independent Weekly

I don't drink at all but I wondered how many drinks the rest of you have every day. Some people only drink at week ends so what is your average per day?
    Last edited by gordoz; 08-03-09 at 10:57. Reason: wrong link

First Team In Europe Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Re: New Australian drink limits

Not had a drink since a week past Sat. But had loads to drink that day.

Dont really feel any better for not having one though.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4279 Post(s)
    vCash

I work in health and its probably the most extreme example of where stats are used inappropriately both by professionals and those who claim fantastic cures through alternative methods.

Inappropriate use of stats, example.

Headline: Drinking cats piss doubles your chances of dying from cancer.

Truth :angry-smiley: behind the stat you only had a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of getting cancer through the dinking of cats piss, you now have a 2 in 100,000,000. Its a chance cats piss drinkers (CPD) are going to take, the likelihood is the CPDs will live to a ripe old age unless a bus knocks them down first and kills them.

Reading the headline its a disaster waiting to happen the reality is is not going to happen. All too often researchers will use such language in their reports, picked up by the press, to justify their next grant and / or piece of research.

Unreliable information.

Headline: Chewing the bark of the elder tree will cure cancer.

Truth :angry-smiley: behind the headline is a report by the Chewing The Bark Of The Elder Tree Will Cure Cancer Alternative Medicine Association of South East Lothian. It says anecdotal evidence shows chewing the bark of the elder tree has cured cancer in some of its patients. The fact they died of drinking cats piss or some other reason is neither here nor there in the report they didnt die of cancer.

Malicious information.

Headline: MMR Jab causes Autism

Some of the companies behind the previously used 3 jabs commissioned research to prove 3 jabs were better than 1. A link was found where the 1 jab caused autism. Truth is it never did, the research has again and again been discredited. However children have died and many more suffered as a result of worried parents not taking their children for THE appropriate jab.

Sorry I know this is sort of a bit off thread but these folk who set themselves up in wee pressure groups then tell the rest of us how to live our lives really piss me off a bit. Further reading of health-related frauds, myths, fads, fallacies, and misconduct can be found through the Quackwatch article on Wiki Quackwatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS I probably drink too much :bud_glass:
    Space to let

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Used to drink. Then I got a job in a bar. And now I don't drink at all! I can take it or leave it to be honest. I was never a regular drinker but when I did, I tended to go all out. One of the reasons I stoped. Whats Australia like, did you emigragte? I am thinking of it in the future. Can you pass on any knowlage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Andy O'Hara View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Used to drink. Then I got a job in a bar. And now I don't drink at all! I can take it or leave it to be honest. I was never a regular drinker but when I did, I tended to go all out. One of the reasons I stoped. Whats Australia like, did you emigragte? I am thinking of it in the future. Can you pass on any knowlage?
    PM me with what you want to know and I will help if I can

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I work in health and its probably the most extreme example of where stats are used inappropriately both by professionals and those who claim fantastic cures through alternative methods.

Inappropriate use of stats, example.

Headline: Drinking cats piss doubles your chances of dying from cancer.

Truth :angry-smiley: behind the stat you only had a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of getting cancer through the dinking of cats piss, you now have a 2 in 100,000,000. Its a chance cats piss drinkers (CPD) are going to take, the likelihood is the CPDs will live to a ripe old age unless a bus knocks them down first and kills them.

Reading the headline its a disaster waiting to happen the reality is is not going to happen. All too often researchers will use such language in their reports, picked up by the press, to justify their next grant and / or piece of research.

Unreliable information.

Headline: Chewing the bark of the elder tree will cure cancer.

Truth :angry-smiley: behind the headline is a report by the Chewing The Bark Of The Elder Tree Will Cure Cancer Alternative Medicine Association of South East Lothian. It says anecdotal evidence shows chewing the bark of the elder tree has cured cancer in some of its patients. The fact they died of drinking cats piss or some other reason is neither here nor there in the report they didnt die of cancer.

Malicious information.

Headline: MMR Jab causes Autism

Some of the companies behind the previously used 3 jabs commissioned research to prove 3 jabs were better than 1. A link was found where the 1 jab caused autism. Truth is it never did, the research has again and again been discredited. However children have died and many more suffered as a result of worried parents not taking their children for THE appropriate jab.

Sorry I know this is sort of a bit off thread but these folk who set themselves up in wee pressure groups then tell the rest of us how to live our lives really piss me off a bit. Further reading of health-related frauds, myths, fads, fallacies, and misconduct can be found through the Quackwatch article on Wiki Quackwatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS I probably drink too much :bud_glass:
    They did stress it was a recommendation,that they were not telling people how to live
    Last edited by gordoz; 09-03-09 at 01:41. Reason: Auto Merged Post

Baby Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gordoz View Post
    PM me with what you want to know and I will help if I can

They did stress it was a recommendation,that they were not telling people how to live

Unlike the Scottish Government. Hike the prices to stop the kids drinking? The wee $#@!s have more money than me. They actually pay them to go to bloody school now!

+ Reply to Thread GoGO Back To Forum