Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 266

Thread: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

  1. #101
    Official 'Radge Auntie' to a small Ballyclare child, and radge about nihibs(.com)
    Loki_Sproule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Belfast, westside.
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by kev1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thankfully though, Scotland fans are normally pretty well behaved. The same can't be said for the bigoted hangers on it would seem are still following NI.


    I'll tell you a wee story...

    when Scotland were playing Italy (ouch, memories still painful) I went to watch the game in a bar in Belfast. The pub was absolutely PACKED full of NI fans, and indeed that was the company I was with at the time also. My friend, a rabid Rangers supporter, trotted up to me before the game started and told me he'd found a band of Scots over the other side of the bar. Naturally, I went over to say hello, and to invite them over to sit with us and watch the game.

    When I went over they seemed pleasant enough lads, so we got chatting about football and so on. I said I was a Hibbie, and there was a deathly hush, before the "spokesperson" for the group told me they were all fans of the Gers. I casually said that it really didn't matter anyway, as SPL team leanings never get in the way of a good Scotland match in my experience, and they seemed to kind of agree. A bit perturbed, I pressed on with the conversation, until a few more minutes in one of the knuckle-draggers came out with "Yeah, when they play the National Anthem we're just gonna sing 'Big Jock Knew' over the top of it. Hur hur hur, f*ck Celtic!" and looked straight at me.

    Short of punching the $#@! in the mouth as this was obviously a (misguided and typically idiotic) attempt at a sectarian comment, I just looked at him wondering if it was worth trying to explain to the moron the differences between Hibs and Celtic (the first being that they're two different teams, the rest of them just following on from that), and then decided that life was to short and anyway I didn't want to miss the match. So I walked away in disgust.

    To the people I was with originally, who were a group of Northern Ireland supporters. And Hibbies.

    Never have I been more disgusted, to be honest. Over and above the obvious sectarian nonsense which is supposed to be swept under the carpet for national games, seeing as the team's made up of Rangers players, Celtic players, Hibs players, and the rest, the thought that someone would actually butcher their OWN national anthem for petty, idiotic reasons and to just get a rise out a few people sitting around (there was a smattering of ROI fans sitting about watching the end of the Ireland-Wales match, I can only assume that this was meant to be aimed at them also) was completely beyond me. It showed disrespect, idiocy, intolerance.....basically complete bigotry.

    The fact that some NI fans choose to fly the Onion Flag at their games shows nothing but national pride, if that's what you're getting at with the bigotry statement. There's nothing wrong with saying that you're British and proud of it, it's just another cultural identity. It's not something I would personally say myself (in fact, just the opposite), but that doesn't mean I can spit on others' beliefs. I hate the butcher's apron as much as the next person, but it is a flag that belongs to a nation and if they want to be British, sing the song and fly the flag, then who are we to say anything about it? We've got as much right to state our national identity as they have.

    And yes, as with any football team there's a few morons who will always be there. But making such a sweeping statement is unfair and inaccurate. I'm not having a go and I mean this with respect. However, I've drank in the South Belfast Northern Ireland SC bar and have always found it to be friendly and welcoming, give or take the odd header kicking around, and I have no problem saying that I support Northern Ireland to anyone who asks.

    Whether or not they make assumptions about my religion/political beliefs over this is immaterial, as one- I don't care, and two- they'd more than likely be wrong anyway. The NI fans I've met and know are brilliant, and I'd be proud to include myself in that fanbase. Those Scotland fans made me feel sad, and ashamed, of my birth country, and I think it speaks volumes about the NI fanbase that i would feel more comfortable sitting with them to watch my country's match than my own people, and that I escaped from the Scottish eejits to sit with the Norn Ironers to escape the sectarianism.

    It's been said before on so many different topic and so many different teams, but don't judge an entire fanbase on the actions of the few who make the stories. I was slightly dubious about NI at first but it's been proven to me time after time that on thw whole the fans are great. Yes there's the odd numpty, but in a crowd that big when is there not.....

    RE the British national anthem, if it's being played I wouldn't boo it. I would never stand for it, but that's more due to the fact that it flies in the face of every one of my Republican beliefs (hurried note- that's Republican in the general, anti-monarchy, 'French' sense of the word, not in the 'Up-the-RA, Gerry Adams sense) than anything else. To boo another country's anthem only shows disrespect and intolerence, if you don't like it, then go and get a drink or a pie when it's being played, but don't show your country up by being childish.

    Of course, that's just my opinion, and I respect that others would feel as strongly in the opposite direction.

    Now, I'm going to go and have a lie down, as I'm knackered after that rant.

  2. #102
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    An all too common experience in meeting Scots outside Scotland.

  3. #103
    Official 'Radge Auntie' to a small Ballyclare child, and radge about nihibs(.com)
    Loki_Sproule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Belfast, westside.
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Sadly enough, you're right. Although thankfully it seems to be concentrated down mainly to people from Glasgow and Ayrshire. Although these are also the people that seem to travel the most...

  4. #104
    Radge Donator
    superbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rooftop Liffeyside Matembezi
    Posts
    2,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Top post Loki Sproule, cannae be ersed quoting it. Quite a good article in todays Irish Times, if you ignore the nonsense about egg-chasing at the end.

    Taking a stand in the stands
    BRYAN COLL

    OUT OF THE NIGHT/THE EMERGING NORTHERN IRELAND: Overt sectarianism at soccer matches in the North is being eroded thanks to initiatives such as the "Football for All" and "Sea of Green" campaigns

    IT'S NOT easy being the drummer at Glentoran Football Club. First of all, there's the multi-tasking; bashing out the rhythm to the team songs while distracting the Cliftonville goalkeeper with the loudest possible whack just as he makes his goal kick.

    Then there's the George Best traffic. During last Friday's Irish Premier League match against Cliftonville at The Oval, no fewer than four planes descended into the adjacent George Best Belfast City Airport; formidable competition for the mini-Lambeg drums.

    The rivalry between the two teams is especially intense tonight. A Glentoran victory would put the team on equal points with Linfield at the top of the table, but a loss would effectively hand the title to the local rivals.

    For those uninitiated into the world of Northern Irish football, a quick glance around the grounds gives clues to another kind of rivalry. On the terraces occupied by the Cliftonville fans, Tricolours and Basque flags are draped over the railings.

    At the opposite end of the pitch, Red Hands of Ulster, Union Jacks and St George's crosses form the backdrop to the goal. Matches between Glentoran and Cliftonville are mild encounters compared to the ultimate religious face-off that is Linfield versus Cliftonville (Northern Ireland's equivalent of the "Old Firm"), but at The Oval religion is still very much at play.

    Like any football fans, the Glentoran faithful have a full repertoire of songs to rally their team. And, like all football songs, or heckling from the crowd, the chief targets are referees, linesmen and players who aren't pulling their weight.

    Tonight, it's the reserve goalkeeper who takes most of the flak for his persistent fumbling. Amid all this footballing normality, songs such as If you hate the Fenian b*stards, clap your hands, drummed and sung loudly at the start of the second half, pass almost unnoticed.

    The chief lung-power for the Glentoran chorus comes from a 20-strong group of teenagers nested in the top corner of the home stand. Here they are as close as possible to a group of young Cliftonville fans, pressed against the fence which divides the adjacent terrace about 200 yards away.

    Stirring things up, some Cliftonville supporters make exaggerated signs of the cross over their Glasgow Celtic jerseys. This is greeted with the unfurling of a Union Jack in the Glentoran corner and shouts of abuse - mostly sporting, some sectarian. All this takes places under a large billboard directly opposite the Glentoran stand containing a single word: Jesus.

    The majority of fans within earshot of the taunts pay them no attention and concentrate on the close-run second half. The volunteer steward policing the Glentoran stand doesn't intervene either, despite the club's purported zero tolerance of sectarianism.

    Much has been made of ongoing sectarian tensions in the North in the light of the Good Friday agreement's 10th anniversary. Even in the most symbolic sense, divisions between Protestant and Catholic communities are growing.

    Today, there are more peacelines - the euphemistically-named fences which separate Protestant and Catholic neighbours in so-called "interface" areas - than when the Good Friday agreement was signed.

    But it is the world of sport - especially football - that throws up some of the worst kind of sectarian violence. Last month, a football fan wearing a Celtic jersey had his throat slashed in a Belfast bar following an Irish Cup semi-final between Linfield and Cliftonville.

    "Some football clubs just don't know how to deal with this," says Colleen McAuley of the Irish Football Association's "Football for All" campaign, which was set up to combat the overt sectarianism at Northern Ireland international games.

    So hostile was the atmosphere at Windsor Park in the 1980s and 1990s that at one point attendances plummeted to a mere tenth of the stadium's capacity. "We realised that sectarianism could not continue," says Jim Rainey, a lifelong Northern Ireland fan. "Even from a business point of view, companies didn't want to be associated with the team and it was difficult to find sponsors."

    Rainey helped to set up the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters' Clubs (ANISC) in 1999 and set weaning Northern Ireland fans off sectarian chants and symbols.

    Songs long associated with the terraces of Windsor Park - such as the darkly threatening We Are The Billy Boys, which contains the lyrics "we're up to our necks in Fenian blood/surrender or you'll die" have been replaced by the darkly humorous We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland.

    ANISC's "Sea of Green" campaign encourages fans to wear Northern Ireland's green and white colours to international games instead of the red, white and blue regalia previously favoured in the Windsor Parks stands. The Irish Football Association (IFA) has also suggested replacing God Save the Queen, which, unlike in Scotland or Wales, continues to be played before international matches in Belfast.

    Windsor Park may be shedding its old sectarian image, but rooting out prejudices at club level has proved a much trickier task. "We're very much in the early stages of this," says Maura Muldoon, a member of the board of Glentoran Football Club. "But dictating rules doesn't work. The fans have to decide for themselves what kind of club they want."

    Muldoon, who also sits on the board of the Northern Ireland Community Relations Council, believes that the attraction of "neutral" sports, such as the Belfast Giants ice hockey team, will force clubs to up their game.

    "People are voting with their feet now," she says. "The facilities and atmosphere at Irish League games aren't necessarily conducive to a family day out. We have a lot of competitors out there and we have to create a better environment."

    Under new IFA regulations next season, all domestic football clubs in Northern Ireland must appoint a cross-community worker in order to obtain a domestic IFA licence. "Community relations used to sit outside football here," says Colleen McAuley. "It's about time that it became a mainstream issue."

    Catholics may be opting out of Northern Ireland matches less readily than before, but Gaelic sports continue to be regarded with distrust by many unionists in the North.

    "With devolution in Northern Ireland, we entered a new political era. Everyone realised it was time to start reaching out," says Ryan Feeney, community development manager of the GAA's Ulster Council. "But reaching out to unionists has been the hardest nut to crack; it's a softly, softly approach."

    Encouraging new sporting habits in the North is no easy task. Sporting segregation starts in schools, where games are divided along both religious and class lines. Football is one of the few sports played by both Protestant and Catholic pupils, but it is rarely played in grammar schools.

    Gaelic football and hurling are the preserve of Catholic-maintained schools - both secondary and grammar - while sports like rugby, cricket and hockey are played almost exclusively in middle-class, Protestant grammar schools.

    As well as being educated apart, most of Northern Ireland's children, especially those living in urban areas, have limited social contact with other traditions.

    According to the 2001 census, the majority of Protestants and Catholics in Belfast live in areas in which at least 81 per cent of people share their religious background.

    All of which makes the Belfast Cuchullains hurling team all the more unusual.

    The team, set up by the Ulster GAA Council, has brought together about 20 young players from Protestant and Catholic schools in some of Belfast's most deprived areas. The success of the project has led the council to set up similar teams in all major towns in Northern Ireland.

    "A lot of these kids come from strong Protestant traditions and would never even have considered playing hurling," says Ryan Feeney. "This isn't about changing each other. It's about fostering the kind of mutual respect that's been lacking here."

    The success of the Belfast Cuchullains will soon be toasted in Stormont and ras an Uachtarin before the team departs for the GAA North American Youth Games in Philadelphia this summer. But can symbolic gestures such as multi-denominational youth teams, scrapping section 21 or allowing rugby matches in Croke Park really change attitudes?

    "I think the last thing on the mind of a young guy from east Belfast would be to start playing hurling. But if he wants to, then he should be welcomed," says former Derry player and RT pundit Joe Brolly. "Sectarianism isn't really the problem any more. There is frustration coming from working-class Protestant areas, but that's a socio-economic issue. Issues such as ghettoisation and poor housing need to be looked at now. They were ignored in the past because [ politicians] played the sectarian card for political gain."

    The Centre for Educational Research at Queen's University last year published a survey of the social attitudes of children aged 9 and 10, the biggest study of its kind in post-ceasefire Northern Ireland.

    As part of the survey, children were asked to give opinions on images of strangers wearing Celtic and Rangers jerseys.

    The report concludes: "Segregation very much remains a reality in children's lives, [ extending] far beyond the fact that children . . . live in different areas and attend different schools. Segregation [ cuts] across a range of social, cultural and political activities."

    Few are better placed than Trevor Ringland in understanding the complex network of allegiances of sport in Northern Ireland. The former Irish and British Lions rugby international and member of the Ulster Unionist Party regularly stood for the Soldier's Song during matches in Dublin.

    Ringland, who currently chairs the cross-community group One Small Step, feels that rugby has set a good example for Northern Irish sport as it can "show respect for a British tradition that wants to be Irish too".

    "I think it is nonsense to educate our children separately," Ringland says. "But the reality is that they are, and we have to deal with this. Sports clubs are one of the few places where kids have the chance to come together. Sport should start building the trust we need to make this community work."
    Ni neart go cur le chile
    www.stpatsfc.com

  5. #105
    Smrt Sparte
    Rep of Ireland Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Praha, Czech Republic
    Posts
    3,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Was only at a Northern ireland match once. When the Republic drew in Windsor in 1993 to secure qualifying for the world cup. Can honestly say I've never experianced anything like it in my life, Ibrox doesn't have a patch on it. The worst culprit being the NI manager Billy Bingham.


    That was 15 years ago though so things could well have changed since then, I really hope it has. I reckon we'll find out at the next NI v ROI match, which will most likely be 2011 for this new Celtic Cup thing with Scotland and Wales

  6. #106
    Official 'Radge Auntie' to a small Ballyclare child, and radge about nihibs(.com)
    Loki_Sproule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Belfast, westside.
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by superbam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Top post Loki Sproule, cannae be ersed quoting it. Quite a good article in todays Irish Times, if you ignore the nonsense about egg-chasing at the end.

    Taking a stand in the stands
    BRYAN COLL

    OUT OF THE NIGHT/THE EMERGING NORTHERN IRELAND: Overt sectarianism at soccer matches in the North is being eroded thanks to initiatives such as the "Football for All" and "Sea of Green" campaigns

    IT'S NOT easy being the drummer at Glentoran Football Club. First of all, there's the multi-tasking; bashing out the rhythm to the team songs while distracting the Cliftonville goalkeeper with the loudest possible whack just as he makes his goal kick.

    Then there's the George Best traffic. During last Friday's Irish Premier League match against Cliftonville at The Oval, no fewer than four planes descended into the adjacent George Best Belfast City Airport; formidable competition for the mini-Lambeg drums.

    The rivalry between the two teams is especially intense tonight. A Glentoran victory would put the team on equal points with Linfield at the top of the table, but a loss would effectively hand the title to the local rivals.

    For those uninitiated into the world of Northern Irish football, a quick glance around the grounds gives clues to another kind of rivalry. On the terraces occupied by the Cliftonville fans, Tricolours and Basque flags are draped over the railings.

    At the opposite end of the pitch, Red Hands of Ulster, Union Jacks and St George's crosses form the backdrop to the goal. Matches between Glentoran and Cliftonville are mild encounters compared to the ultimate religious face-off that is Linfield versus Cliftonville (Northern Ireland's equivalent of the "Old Firm"), but at The Oval religion is still very much at play.

    Like any football fans, the Glentoran faithful have a full repertoire of songs to rally their team. And, like all football songs, or heckling from the crowd, the chief targets are referees, linesmen and players who aren't pulling their weight.

    Tonight, it's the reserve goalkeeper who takes most of the flak for his persistent fumbling. Amid all this footballing normality, songs such as If you hate the Fenian b*stards, clap your hands, drummed and sung loudly at the start of the second half, pass almost unnoticed.

    The chief lung-power for the Glentoran chorus comes from a 20-strong group of teenagers nested in the top corner of the home stand. Here they are as close as possible to a group of young Cliftonville fans, pressed against the fence which divides the adjacent terrace about 200 yards away.

    Stirring things up, some Cliftonville supporters make exaggerated signs of the cross over their Glasgow Celtic jerseys. This is greeted with the unfurling of a Union Jack in the Glentoran corner and shouts of abuse - mostly sporting, some sectarian. All this takes places under a large billboard directly opposite the Glentoran stand containing a single word: Jesus.

    The majority of fans within earshot of the taunts pay them no attention and concentrate on the close-run second half. The volunteer steward policing the Glentoran stand doesn't intervene either, despite the club's purported zero tolerance of sectarianism.

    Much has been made of ongoing sectarian tensions in the North in the light of the Good Friday agreement's 10th anniversary. Even in the most symbolic sense, divisions between Protestant and Catholic communities are growing.

    Today, there are more peacelines - the euphemistically-named fences which separate Protestant and Catholic neighbours in so-called "interface" areas - than when the Good Friday agreement was signed.

    But it is the world of sport - especially football - that throws up some of the worst kind of sectarian violence. Last month, a football fan wearing a Celtic jersey had his throat slashed in a Belfast bar following an Irish Cup semi-final between Linfield and Cliftonville.

    "Some football clubs just don't know how to deal with this," says Colleen McAuley of the Irish Football Association's "Football for All" campaign, which was set up to combat the overt sectarianism at Northern Ireland international games.

    So hostile was the atmosphere at Windsor Park in the 1980s and 1990s that at one point attendances plummeted to a mere tenth of the stadium's capacity. "We realised that sectarianism could not continue," says Jim Rainey, a lifelong Northern Ireland fan. "Even from a business point of view, companies didn't want to be associated with the team and it was difficult to find sponsors."

    Rainey helped to set up the Amalgamation of Northern Ireland Supporters' Clubs (ANISC) in 1999 and set weaning Northern Ireland fans off sectarian chants and symbols.

    Songs long associated with the terraces of Windsor Park - such as the darkly threatening We Are The Billy Boys, which contains the lyrics "we're up to our necks in Fenian blood/surrender or you'll die" have been replaced by the darkly humorous We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland.

    ANISC's "Sea of Green" campaign encourages fans to wear Northern Ireland's green and white colours to international games instead of the red, white and blue regalia previously favoured in the Windsor Parks stands. The Irish Football Association (IFA) has also suggested replacing God Save the Queen, which, unlike in Scotland or Wales, continues to be played before international matches in Belfast.

    Windsor Park may be shedding its old sectarian image, but rooting out prejudices at club level has proved a much trickier task. "We're very much in the early stages of this," says Maura Muldoon, a member of the board of Glentoran Football Club. "But dictating rules doesn't work. The fans have to decide for themselves what kind of club they want."

    Muldoon, who also sits on the board of the Northern Ireland Community Relations Council, believes that the attraction of "neutral" sports, such as the Belfast Giants ice hockey team, will force clubs to up their game.

    "People are voting with their feet now," she says. "The facilities and atmosphere at Irish League games aren't necessarily conducive to a family day out. We have a lot of competitors out there and we have to create a better environment."

    Under new IFA regulations next season, all domestic football clubs in Northern Ireland must appoint a cross-community worker in order to obtain a domestic IFA licence. "Community relations used to sit outside football here," says Colleen McAuley. "It's about time that it became a mainstream issue."

    Catholics may be opting out of Northern Ireland matches less readily than before, but Gaelic sports continue to be regarded with distrust by many unionists in the North.

    "With devolution in Northern Ireland, we entered a new political era. Everyone realised it was time to start reaching out," says Ryan Feeney, community development manager of the GAA's Ulster Council. "But reaching out to unionists has been the hardest nut to crack; it's a softly, softly approach."

    Encouraging new sporting habits in the North is no easy task. Sporting segregation starts in schools, where games are divided along both religious and class lines. Football is one of the few sports played by both Protestant and Catholic pupils, but it is rarely played in grammar schools.

    Gaelic football and hurling are the preserve of Catholic-maintained schools - both secondary and grammar - while sports like rugby, cricket and hockey are played almost exclusively in middle-class, Protestant grammar schools.

    As well as being educated apart, most of Northern Ireland's children, especially those living in urban areas, have limited social contact with other traditions.

    According to the 2001 census, the majority of Protestants and Catholics in Belfast live in areas in which at least 81 per cent of people share their religious background.

    All of which makes the Belfast Cuchullains hurling team all the more unusual.

    The team, set up by the Ulster GAA Council, has brought together about 20 young players from Protestant and Catholic schools in some of Belfast's most deprived areas. The success of the project has led the council to set up similar teams in all major towns in Northern Ireland.

    "A lot of these kids come from strong Protestant traditions and would never even have considered playing hurling," says Ryan Feeney. "This isn't about changing each other. It's about fostering the kind of mutual respect that's been lacking here."

    The success of the Belfast Cuchullains will soon be toasted in Stormont and ras an Uachtarin before the team departs for the GAA North American Youth Games in Philadelphia this summer. But can symbolic gestures such as multi-denominational youth teams, scrapping section 21 or allowing rugby matches in Croke Park really change attitudes?

    "I think the last thing on the mind of a young guy from east Belfast would be to start playing hurling. But if he wants to, then he should be welcomed," says former Derry player and RT pundit Joe Brolly. "Sectarianism isn't really the problem any more. There is frustration coming from working-class Protestant areas, but that's a socio-economic issue. Issues such as ghettoisation and poor housing need to be looked at now. They were ignored in the past because [ politicians] played the sectarian card for political gain."

    The Centre for Educational Research at Queen's University last year published a survey of the social attitudes of children aged 9 and 10, the biggest study of its kind in post-ceasefire Northern Ireland.

    As part of the survey, children were asked to give opinions on images of strangers wearing Celtic and Rangers jerseys.

    The report concludes: "Segregation very much remains a reality in children's lives, [ extending] far beyond the fact that children . . . live in different areas and attend different schools. Segregation [ cuts] across a range of social, cultural and political activities."

    Few are better placed than Trevor Ringland in understanding the complex network of allegiances of sport in Northern Ireland. The former Irish and British Lions rugby international and member of the Ulster Unionist Party regularly stood for the Soldier's Song during matches in Dublin.

    Ringland, who currently chairs the cross-community group One Small Step, feels that rugby has set a good example for Northern Irish sport as it can "show respect for a British tradition that wants to be Irish too".

    "I think it is nonsense to educate our children separately," Ringland says. "But the reality is that they are, and we have to deal with this. Sports clubs are one of the few places where kids have the chance to come together. Sport should start building the trust we need to make this community work."
    Thanks SB, and an interesting article it seems. Will have a better look at it in a bit.

  7. #107
    Survivor Radge Burbank Lilywhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Corner of Bite Me Blvd and No Friggin Way
    Posts
    5,399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    I have thought long and hard about posting in this thread. I feel that due to where I live I'm not really qualified to comment as its easy for me to sit in the comfort of the LA sun and tell others what they should or shouldn't do.

    However as Dundalk man who absolutely adores Northern Ireland, its people the places I cannot in good conscience not state my feeling.

    I would hope that all Scotland supporters who are Hibees would not boo, or make degoratory noises, remarks or gestures during the playing of GSTQ. While life in Northern Ireland isn't where it should or could be it is better than it was, and it is only through the hard work and effort of everyday people that it can become all it should be. Is this the song that should be the national anthem for Northern Ireland? That is another debate for another time in the future when the people of Northern Ireland are ready emotionally, mentally, and spiritually to have it.

    Individuals from outside of Northern Ireland who are interjecting their own political views, opinions are not helping the people of Northern Ireland get to that point. What good is it going to do to people such as our Northern Ireland Hibee to have someone from Edinburgh boo GSTQ? All it is going to do is give the hard line extremists another reason to peddle their hatefilled, bigoted agenda to another generation of people.

    If you want to make change, real change then I would hope and suggest that people who disagree with the choice of another country's national anthem would be met with quiet respect and dignity. This is not to imply acceptance or approval, but to be honest it's not your anthem. Don't give the bigots another excuse to continue on by whinging that their 'culture' is under attack. Give the decent good people of Northern Ireland room to work and reach out across the political, religous, ethnic, financial divide to find the common ground that unites the people of Northern Ireland. Don't let the bigots use fear or hatred to find common ground and leverage it.

    Or if it means that much to you, then I would suggest moving to Northern Ireland and get stuck in helping move the country, and people forward. Outside agitation helps no one. You will get to go home. However the problems created by it will stay behind along with the good people who will have to deal with the repurcusions.

    We're Hibees. We're better than that.

    Apologies to anyone I have offended.

  8. #108
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Rep of Ireland Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was only at a Northern ireland match once. When the Republic drew in Windsor in 1993 to secure qualifying for the world cup. Can honestly say I've never experianced anything like it in my life, Ibrox doesn't have a patch on it. The worst culprit being the NI manager Billy Bingham.


    That was 15 years ago though so things could well have changed since then, I really hope it has. I reckon we'll find out at the next NI v ROI match, which will most likely be 2011 for this new Celtic Cup thing with Scotland and Wales
    I reckon we won't - I reckon that game will attract some absolute pond-life into the NI stands. It'll be far from representative of the usual NI support these days.

    Besides, 15 years ago we were all livign in very different days.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  9. #109
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Burbank Lilywhite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or if it means that much to you, then I would suggest moving to Northern Ireland and get stuck in helping move the country, and people forward. Outside agitation helps no one. You will get to go home. However the problems created by it will stay behind along with the good people who will have to deal with the repurcusions.
    Never a truer bunch of words posted on the Bounce.

    Can we get this printed on a banner and hang it up in the main streets of Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Boston please!

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  10. #110
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Superbam - thanks for the Irish Times article, I was looking for exactly the same thing to post on here for Kev1875 to see.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  11. #111
    Honourably Discharged

    HailHail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never a truer bunch of words posted on the Bounce.

    Can we get this printed on a banner and hang it up in the main streets of Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Boston please!
    I thought the whole post was magnificent too mate, didn't want to ruin it by replying with just a smiley

    NI could be like here soon ? just a few pockets of bigots/clingers on to the past in deprived areas who use ' all that crap' because their life is otherwise, cack, and an even smaller number of wealthy 'institutionalised bigots'?

    sorry if that sounds patronising but that's not my intention bud.

  12. #112
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HailHail View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought the whole post was magnificent too mate, didn't want to ruin it by replying with just a smiley

    NI could be like here soon ? just a few pockets of bigots/clingers on to the past in deprived areas who use ' all that crap' because their life is otherwise, cack, and an even smaller number of wealthy 'institutionalised bigots'?

    sorry if that sounds patronising but that's not my intention bud.
    It's getting there - there are pockets of folk who still think it is still the 1970s, but the vast majority of folk are much more interested in mortgage payments and enjoying all the new pubs/ clubs/ restaurants/ shops etc all over the place.

    Certain times of the year in certain areas are an absolute $#@!-storm, but normal folk in NI have a subsconscious way of separating themselves from the feckwits, therefore allowing themselves and the folk in their 'cammunity' to slowly die an isolated death in their own wee fog of hatred, misinformation and stupidity.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  13. #113
    Honourably Discharged

    HailHail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's getting there - there are pockets of folk who still think it is still the 1970s, but the vast majority of folk are much more interested in mortgage payments and enjoying all the new pubs/ clubs/ restaurants/ shops etc all over the place.

    Certain times of the year in certain areas are an absolute $#@!-storm, but normal folk in NI have a subsconscious way of separating themselves from the feckwits, therefore allowing themselves and the folk in their 'cammunity' to slowly die an isolated death in their own wee fog of hatred, misinformation and stupidity.
    Was that 'your bit' on panorama last week or the week before mate? If so, I can see why that sorta thing would be so exasperating. Or was that just BBC scaremongering?

    Has anyone tried using fitba to get the younger ones together? (playing each other rather than watching Setanta)

  14. #114
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HailHail View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that 'your bit' on panorama last week or the week before mate? If so, I can see why that sorta thing would be so exasperating. Or was that just BBC scaremongering?

    Has anyone tried using fitba to get the younger ones together? (playing each other rather than watching Setanta)
    Near enough - but just put it down to the usual cheap, shoddy journalism we've come to expect from that organisation across here. I would ignore everything you saw.

    The town featured has changed beyond recognition. Making a programme about a few dozen idiots from a Borough of 50,000 people proves $#@! all.

    It's a good example of why I rant about the organisation in Belfast behind that programme just so much on here. They are failing the people of NI in a huge way.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  15. #115
    Honourably Discharged

    HailHail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Near enough - but just put it down to the usual cheap, shoddy journalism we've come to expect from that organisation across here. I would ignore everything you saw.

    The town featured has changed beyond recognition. Making a programme about a few dozen idiots from a Borough of 50,000 people proves $#@! all.

    It's a good example of why I rant about the organisation in Belfast behind that programme just so much on here. They are failing the people of NI in a huge way.
    It did look a bit like they had created the story from thin air mate, or at least exaggerated a lot. the reporters didn't seem interested in the positive at all.

  16. #116
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HailHail View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It did look a bit like they had created the story from thin air mate, or at least exaggerated a lot. the reporters didn't seem interested in the positive at all.
    You only have to look at the Belfast skyline to see that there's plenty of positive things to report - not that you'd think it from certain local media over here.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  17. #117
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Belfast
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HailHail View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that 'your bit' on panorama last week or the week before mate? If so, I can see why that sorta thing would be so exasperating. Or was that just BBC scaremongering?

    Has anyone tried using fitba to get the younger ones together? (playing each other rather than watching Setanta)


    that programme was mostly bollocks. Basically NI is similar to the rest of the UK in the fact that if you go into deprived working class areas you are slighly more likely to get bother if your not a local.
    Yes areas are segregated but thats no different to cities on the mainland taht are racially segregated.

  18. #118
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by buckie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that programme was mostly bollocks. Basically NI is similar to the rest of the UK in the fact that if you go into deprived working class areas you are slighly more likely to get bother if your not a local.
    Yes areas are segregated but thats no different to cities on the mainland taht are racially segregated.
    Not aware of walls seperating races from each other on the mainland. Immgrants usually congregate in an areas as they can have a social network - this is true of a=Amwericans, Kiwis, Saffas as much as Bangladeshis (only Bangladeshis tend to arrive here poorer and have ended up in the East End which has hosted French, Irish and Scots in their time - all of whom have spread out since).

  19. #119
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Belfast
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not aware of walls seperating races from each other on the mainland. Immgrants usually congregate in an areas as they can have a social network - this is true of a=Amwericans, Kiwis, Saffas as much as Bangladeshis (only Bangladeshis tend to arrive here poorer and have ended up in the East End which has hosted French, Irish and Scots in their time - all of whom have spread out since).


    there are actually peacelines on the mainland, two prominent ones in Oldham and Burnley.What im saying about NI is that segregation is not as widespread as people believe. Almost everyone had to work with people of opposite religions and most people now socialise with people across the divide.

  20. #120
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by buckie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there are actually peacelines on the mainland, two prominent ones in Oldham and Burnley..
    Got references? All I can find is the BNP calling for them.

  21. #121
    Roots Rock Radge Dunc89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's getting there - there are pockets of folk who still think it is still the 1970s, but the vast majority of folk are much more interested in mortgage payments and enjoying all the new pubs/ clubs/ restaurants/ shops etc all over the place.

    Certain times of the year in certain areas are an absolute $#@!-storm, but normal folk in NI have a subsconscious way of separating themselves from the feckwits, therefore allowing themselves and the folk in their 'cammunity' to slowly die an isolated death in their own wee fog of hatred, misinformation and stupidity.
    I have spent alot of time in Belfast over the past few months visiting my girlfriend's family and friends, and my perceptions of the city have totally changed. I think it's a brilliant wee place, loads of nice pubs and clubs and, I know it's a cliche, but the people there are great, always outgoing and chatty. There seems to be so many more young people across there than here, and the girls are gorgeous.

    I would recommend Belfast to anyone; it, like Glasgow, is definately a city on the up. That's not to say it's without it's problems, socio-economic strife perhaps being one of the more obvious these days as in most cities, but lots of money is evidently being invested into the city, for example in the new Victoria Square shopping centre and the Odyssey complex.

    I'm yet to sample the Belfast football scene, but there are plans to see Glentoran at some point. A Glens fan described them to me as "the Belfast equivelant of Hearts", and I'm not quite sure what he was getting at there but it's not a great start! Football grounds, as we are all well aware, are never the best places for gauging rational or realistic views of a society or a community, and I shall keep this in mind when visiting the Oval.

  22. #122
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Belfast
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc89 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have spent alot of time in Belfast over the past few months visiting my girlfriend's family and friends, and my perceptions of the city have totally changed. I think it's a brilliant wee place, loads of nice pubs and clubs and, I know it's a cliche, but the people there are great, always outgoing and chatty. There seems to be so many more young people across there than here, and the girls are gorgeous.

    I would recommend Belfast to anyone; it, like Glasgow, is definately a city on the up. That's not to say it's without it's problems, socio-economic strife perhaps being one of the more obvious these days as in most cities, but lots of money is evidently being invested into the city, for example in the new Victoria Square shopping centre and the Odyssey complex.

    I'm yet to sample the Belfast football scene, but there are plans to see Glentoran at some point. A Glens fan described them to me as "the Belfast equivelant of Hearts", and I'm not quite sure what he was getting at there but it's not a great start! Football grounds, as we are all well aware, are never the best places for gauging rational or realistic views of a society or a community, and I shall keep this in mind when visiting the Oval.



    nice to hear some positive comments about my adopted home city. I think there is links between Glentoran and Hearts casuals/firms.

  23. #123
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Belfast
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got references? All I can find is the BNP calling for them.

    i had a quick look and couldnt find anything.

    i know the one in Oldham is real because i was taken to see it when visting a friend there, i think the area is Glodwick.

  24. #124
    Serious Radge Brizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc89 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have spent alot of time in Belfast over the past few months visiting my girlfriend's family and friends, and my perceptions of the city have totally changed. I think it's a brilliant wee place, loads of nice pubs and clubs and, I know it's a cliche, but the people there are great, always outgoing and chatty. There seems to be so many more young people across there than here, and the girls are gorgeous.

    I would recommend Belfast to anyone; it, like Glasgow, is definately a city on the up. That's not to say it's without it's problems, socio-economic strife perhaps being one of the more obvious these days as in most cities, but lots of money is evidently being invested into the city, for example in the new Victoria Square shopping centre and the Odyssey complex.

    I'm yet to sample the Belfast football scene, but there are plans to see Glentoran at some point. A Glens fan described them to me as "the Belfast equivelant of Hearts", and I'm not quite sure what he was getting at there but it's not a great start! Football grounds, as we are all well aware, are never the best places for gauging rational or realistic views of a society or a community, and I shall keep this in mind when visiting the Oval.
    Belfasts a great place to visit and ive found the locals to be incredibly friiendly.Like anywhere theres districts to avoid but you can say the same bout any city.

    Possibly because the Glens are the diet Linfield while Hertz are the diet Huns

  25. #125
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.
    I'll help you out here then hopefully it might be less bizarre for you. Some people boo it because they are republicans. They don't want an inbred head of state with an enlarged, privileged family who's DNA is not only identical in every respect but would qualify half of them to run at Epsom.

    And another thing, the fact that the British royal family practice a form of religious apartheid in matters of succession does not mean that anyone who is opposed to them must, by warped logic, also be opposed to Protestantism. Just before you start because I know what you're like. They could be Jews, Catholics, Unitarians or members of Mother Wall's Methodist Zion Church, I don't care! I'd still march them at gunpoint down to the Embankment and say "Welcome to your new home".

    So there you have it. I want rid of them but it ain't my fault they're prods. And I'll exercise my democratic right (for this is Britain, home of democracy) to boo the $#@!ey song because I can't be arsed with the sentiments of old trout face being saved by a non-existing entity. And it is my right to do so.

  26. #126
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Belfast
    Posts
    3,160
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll help you out here then hopefully it might be less bizarre for you. Some people boo it because they are republicans. They don't want an inbred head of state with an enlarged, privileged family who's DNA is not only identical in every respect but would qualify half of them to run at Epsom.

    And another thing, the fact that the British royal family practice a form of religious apartheid in matters of succession does not mean that anyone who is opposed to them must, by warped logic, also be opposed to Protestantism. Just before you start because I know what you're like. They could be Jews, Catholics, Unitarians or members of Mother Wall's Methodist Zion Church, I don't care! I'd still march them at gunpoint down to the Embankment and say "Welcome to your new home".

    So there you have it. I want rid of them but it ain't my fault they're prods. And I'll exercise my democratic right (for this is Britain, home of democracy) to boo the $#@!ey song because I can't be arsed with the sentiments of old trout face being saved by a non-existing entity. And it is my right to do so.




    but other than that your a Royalist ?

  27. #127
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by buckie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i had a quick look and couldnt find anything.

    i know the one in Oldham is real because i was taken to see it when visting a friend there, i think the area is Glodwick.
    I'll look out for it next time I'm there. I remember Belfast, though!!

  28. #128
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampden_Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll help you out here then hopefully it might be less bizarre for you. Some people boo it because they are republicans. They don't want an inbred head of state with an enlarged, privileged family who's DNA is not only identical in every respect but would qualify half of them to run at Epsom.

    And another thing, the fact that the British royal family practice a form of religious apartheid in matters of succession does not mean that anyone who is opposed to them must, by warped logic, also be opposed to Protestantism. Just before you start because I know what you're like. They could be Jews, Catholics, Unitarians or members of Mother Wall's Methodist Zion Church, I don't care! I'd still march them at gunpoint down to the Embankment and say "Welcome to your new home".

    So there you have it. I want rid of them but it ain't my fault they're prods. And I'll exercise my democratic right (for this is Britain, home of democracy) to boo the $#@!ey song because I can't be arsed with the sentiments of old trout face being saved by a non-existing entity. And it is my right to do so.
    I'd rather have another British anthem. I wouldn't boo it but I certainly wouldn't stand for it or sing it.

    Land of Hope and Glory is a better one. The Uk nations should have their own anthems though, the UK one should only be used for UK teams.

  29. #129
    Official 'Radge Auntie' to a small Ballyclare child, and radge about nihibs(.com)
    Loki_Sproule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Belfast, westside.
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Belfasts a great place to visit and ive found the locals to be incredibly friiendly.Like anywhere theres districts to avoid but you can say the same bout any city.

    Possibly because the Glens are the diet Linfield while Hertz are the diet Huns

    Now now, that's not true in the slightest. The Glens are completely different to Linfield...yep there's an element of Loyalist scum within the fanbase, but the biggest rivalry in Belfast, football-wise, is between Glentoran and Linfield, two teams who are both from Protestant areas of the city! Very refreshing to see a football rivavlry based on the fact that they're the two biggest teams, rather than anything sectarian.

    I went to a Glentoran-Dungannon game, and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of sectarianism. The best comment I heard was one lad who was tanding next to me shouting "Will you three just f*ck up?!" at the Dungannon fans, when they started to cheer. Classic football comedy.

    Ok, it doesn;t sound that funny now, I suppose you had to be there...

  30. #130
    Radge


    1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murraystoon
    Posts
    36,321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5554 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    3468

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki_Sproule View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now now, that's not true in the slightest. The Glens are completely different to Linfield...yep there's an element of Loyalist scum within the fanbase, but the biggest rivalry in Belfast, football-wise, is between Glentoran and Linfield, two teams who are both from Protestant areas of the city! Very refreshing to see a football rivavlry based on the fact that they're the two biggest teams, rather than anything sectarian.

    I went to a Glentoran-Dungannon game, and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of sectarianism. The best comment I heard was one lad who was tanding next to me shouting "Will you three just f*ck up?!" at the Dungannon fans, when they started to cheer. Classic football comedy.

    Ok, it doesn;t sound that funny now, I suppose you had to be there...
    Loki, have you seen Glentoran play a team from a Nationalist area? That is often the best way to gauge intolerance?
    nil satis nisi optimum

  31. #131
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The People's Republic of Fife
    Posts
    1,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Stirlinghibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The English should change their anthem to the Lydon/Jones/Cook/Matlock version. That I would quite happily sing along with.
    I always wanted the Hibs DJ to play that when we play Rangers.
    Then again 2 Rangers types I know are old punks and they'd love it.


    What would be the objection to 'Danny Boy' in NI? Thought most knew and loved the song regardless of their background.

    I'm not in favour of booing another nation's anthem - makes you look like an arsehole.

  32. #132
    Warrenpoints only Hibs Mad Man

    Newry Hiby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Warrenpointbout 10ish miles from the border of the Republic of Ireland South Armagh/Down
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    i doubt booing is the best way to protest this anthem im sure there are other ways like turning your back perhaps any song that is anti scottish should not be played at the home of scottish football end of

  33. #133
    Radge Private Member

    Green Sleeves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In the early days of a better nation
    Posts
    2,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    160 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    139

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By booing GSTQ we simply come across as the parochial, narrow minded, insular "wee Scots" that so much of the media loves to portray us as.

    Perhaps time to grow out of it a wee bit?

    Cant agree that booing GSTQ makes Scots sound parochial. It makes us sound bona fide internationalists, and in tune with the rest of the world, since fans of almost every other country boo it with passion as well.

  34. #134
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Hampden_Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    .
    Posts
    5,360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never a truer bunch of words posted on the Bounce.

    Can we get this printed on a banner and hang it up in the main streets of Edinburgh, Glasgow, London and Boston please!
    There's a fair few of your own countrymen need little persuasion to bring their particular brand of agitation into my city too C. It can cut both ways.

    I'm sure Stena Line would agree too.

  35. #135
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6487 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1846

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    If we boo GSTQ it just shows how pathetic we are.

    Regardless to anyone's opinion of it, it is, after all, their national anthem.

  36. #136
    Hun Hating Radge Hibee-Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not going but if I was then I most certainly would

  37. #137
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we boo GSTQ it just shows how pathetic we are.

    Regardless to anyone's opinion of it, it is, after all, their national anthem.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee-Dan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not going but if I was then I most certainly would
    But you'll complain when the English, or others, boo ours? Ignorant simpleton.
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  38. #138
    Graphics Radge Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    13,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    294 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    161

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    It was boo'ed
    Hibs.

  39. #139
    Hun Hating Radge Hibee-Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed.



    But you'll complain when the English, or others, boo ours? Ignorant simpleton.
    Oh really?

  40. #140
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee-Dan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh really?
    Yep.

    GSTQ is someone elses national anthem, treat it as you would expect ours to be treated. Easy really.
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  41. #141
    Hun Hating Radge Hibee-Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep.

    GSTQ is someone elses national anthem, treat it as you would expect ours to be treated. Easy really.
    You seem to know me better than I do

    I wouldn't complain if England boo'd our national anthem. Just a bit of banterful rivalry.

  42. #142
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee-Dan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You seem to know me better than I do

    I wouldn't complain if England boo'd our national anthem. Just a bit of banterful rivalry.

    Whatever son, fall back on the 'its only banter' line.

    Whilst strolling down the street booing Crotia's national anthem cause its just banter is likely to get you killed! But heh you go for it.
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  43. #143
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hiby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i doubt booing is the best way to protest this anthem im sure there are other ways like turning your back perhaps any song that is anti scottish should not be played at the home of scottish football end of
    Much as I disagree with the song's two main strands, its not anti-Scottish.

  44. #144
    Hun Hating Radge Hibee-Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever son, fall back on the 'its only banter' line.

    Whilst strolling down the street booing Crotia's national anthem cause its just banter is likely to get you killed! But heh you go for it.
    I'd best make alternate plans for tomorrow then

  45. #145
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Jamesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we boo GSTQ it just shows how pathetic we are.

    Regardless to anyone's opinion of it, it is, after all, their national anthem.
    Agree 100%. Just shows us up to be "wee Scotland" yet again. Grow up FFS.

    If it was, say, two Balkan nations who had been at war in the 1990's I could appreciate the booing. But get a grip FFS!

  46. #146
    Adult Radge
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Embra & Philly
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we boo GSTQ it just shows how pathetic we are.

    Regardless to anyone's opinion of it, it is, after all, their national anthem.
    totally disagree... its a loyalist's anthem...
    What about the nationalist Norn iron fans, whom i was told earlier there are a few, not to mention their players... Neil Lennon, remember him?
    they, at least, should have their own anthem... Its an anthem inforced, like the name "Londonderry" by London to put down what was once a minority catholic nationalist n.irish people who do not care one bit for a bunch of freeloading germans.
    Now lets all watch the tartan army hammer them....

  47. #147
    Adult Radge
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dublin, Embra & Philly
    Posts
    306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    oh and they are right to boo it when it has this line

    God grant that Marshall Wade , victory bring,
    May he sedition hush,
    & like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to CRUSH,
    God save our queen

  48. #148
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Face it. Its a dirge. It practically boos itself.

  49. #149
    Croatian Radge
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    562
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OUR ANTHEM Its not mine and never will be mine....feck anything to do with scummy England.

  50. #150
    Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge



    Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mississippi in the middle of a dry spell
    Posts
    27,859
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6636 Post(s)
    vCash
    5112
    Rep Power
    1982

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Leno View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    oh and they are right to boo it when it has this line

    God grant that Marshall Wade , victory bring,
    May he sedition hush,
    & like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to CRUSH,
    God save our queen
    Thats the verse I was thinking of when Col posted saying it isnt anti Scottish. Cheers
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die


    [© Daddy O'Hibee]



    If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Scotland v N Ireland
    By 1875 in forum Irish Hibs
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-09-08, 00:27
  2. Scotland Vs N . Ireland.....
    By McLeod1875 in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 22-08-08, 07:58
  3. Scotland v Northern Ireland
    By PILTONSTANY in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-08-08, 16:53
  4. Scotland v Northern Ireland (Friendly Info.)
    By Riordan in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-03-08, 09:04
  5. Sectarianism "more ingrained" in Scotland than Northern Ireland
    By Purple & Green in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 26-05-06, 09:09

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •