Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 266

Thread: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

  1. #51
    Radge Donator
    superbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rooftop Liffeyside Matembezi
    Posts
    2,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    I wouldnt boo it, I would just take pity on the north that they have to be represented by such a disgrace of an anthem.

    The english should scrap it in favour of Jerusalem, which is a belter.
    Ni neart go cur le chile
    www.stpatsfc.com

  2. #52
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by superbam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldnt boo it, I would just take pity on the north that they have to be represented by such a disgrace of an anthem.

    The english should scrap it in favour of Jerusalem, which is a belter.
    Agree 100% with that.

    England has so much talent that they could have a great back catalogue as an anthem - Some of my picks??

    1. Wonderwall - Oasis.
    2. All you need is Love - The Beatles.
    3. London Calling - The Clash
    4. English rose - The Jam
    5. Hersham boys - Sham 69

    The first two are very "anthemic" and the others mention English places. English Rose is being used by their tourist board.

    Ive searched the secret mists -
    Ive climbed the highest peaks
    Caught the wild wind home
    to hear her soft voice speak
    No matter where I roam
    I will return to my english rose
    For no bonds can ever keep me from she.


    Wonderful prose by the lad Weller.

  3. #53
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Stennyhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree 100% with that.

    England has so much talent that they could have a great back catalogue as an anthem - Some of my picks??

    1. Imagine - John Lennon
    2. All you need is Love - The Beatles.
    3. London Calling - The Clash
    4. English rose - The Jam
    5. Hersham boys - Sham 69

    The first two are very "anthemic" and the others mention English places. English Rose is being used by their tourist board.
    Gertcha by Chas and Dave. Fun to sing along to.

  4. #54
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gertcha by Chas and Dave. Fun to sing along to.

    Chas and Dave??



    It would be a great advert for the eccentricity, sense of homour and irrellivence that the English are famous for.

    It would be fantastic to see Beckham and co chanting out

    "You won't stop talking, why don't you give it a rest
    You got more rabbit than Sainsbury's, it's time you got it off ya chest
    Now you was just the type of girl to break my heart in two
    I knew right off when I first clapped my eyes on you
    But how was I to know you'd bend my earholes too with you're incessant talking
    You're becoming a pest!"

  5. #55
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by HailHail View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd boo English Royalist anthem GSTQ against England, it sounded hilarious when we drowned it out completely in 1999. It's no the North's fault that it's their only anthem though is it?

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  6. #56
    Administrator formerly known as Lanarkhibs
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Skye
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to Scotland (home of the little people)
    You might find more of a welcome for your union flag waving on follow follow and frankly you wouod suit each other.
    From Skye to Leith, the home of the Hibees

  7. #57
    Mental Radge
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hunger City
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might find more of a welcome for your union flag waving on follow follow and frankly you wouod suit each other.
    And you may find your hostility more suited to kerrydale street. I'm sure you would fit in nicely.

  8. #58
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might find more of a welcome for your union flag waving on follow follow and frankly you wouod suit each other.
    Since when was this a dedicated nationist forum?

    Entitled to express his views.

  9. #59
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when was this a dedicated nationist forum?

    Entitled to express his views.
    That he most certainly is.

    As Wee162 said, we need different points of view from the overwhelming political consensus on the bounce.

    Still spraff's $#@!e at times though.

  10. #60
    Bounced Out! LeGod4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    LUHG
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.
    I shall be singing it from the comfort of the Norn Iron end courtesy of the Ballymena Norn Iron SC and the Geordie Best Foundation, after all we are all BRITISH !!!!

  11. #61
    Bounced Out! LeGod4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    LUHG
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might find more of a welcome for your union flag waving on follow follow and frankly you wouod suit each other.

    Oh dear and you supposedly an impartial administrator on a forum for "opinions" ?/em

    Have a look at your passport

  12. #62
    Shameless Radge




    PILTONSTANY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh's Waterfront
    Posts
    13,021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2690 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    691

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGod4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    after all we are all BRITISH !!!!
    Not in a football context we're not,no such thing as a British football assoc
    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

  13. #63
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGod4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I shall be singing it from the comfort of the Norn Iron end courtesy of the Ballymena Norn Iron SC and the Geordie Best Foundation, after all we are all BRITISH !!!!
    I know them well

    They run a very good supporters' club.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  14. #64
    Administrator formerly known as Lanarkhibs
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Skye
    Posts
    6,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    184 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGod4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh dear and you supposedly an impartial administrator on a forum for "opinions"
    Are you really suggesting admins should not have opinions. Strange indeed.
    From Skye to Leith, the home of the Hibees

  15. #65
    Sunshine On Leith Radgette

    HibeeN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Not going, but all the same I wouldn't boo it. I'd like to show a little respect and dignity.

  16. #66
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess sKipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Linlithgow
    Posts
    3,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should have respect for another nations anthem.
    But it is our anthem too. As such I feel perfectly content to boo the anti Scottish shyte for all I'm worth !

  17. #67
    Mental Radge
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hunger City
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ Hibadelic and Skyehibs - that's one way of looking at it.

    But, IMHO, the fact that the Scots have a beef against the English is no reason to take it out on NI guests in your country - they are only using the song because they don't have one of their own yet.

    Saying that, I reckon you'll have some absolute dregs of so-called NI supporters in Scotland for the game. I'll be giving it a miss and so are most of the folk I know.
    Wait and see the Scotland ones. You'll spot them a mile away singing the hilarious Jimmy Hill song, sporting really funny wigs and whinging about oil.

  18. #68
    Tigers ya Radge!
    Tkraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,396
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Now that isn't very tolerant is it. Remember, you are Scottish!

    Aren't you?

  19. #69
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sKipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it is our anthem too. As such I feel perfectly content to boo the anti Scottish shyte for all I'm worth !
    Its not really anti-Scottish though. I doubt most English people even know that the anti Scottish verse even exists, it never gets sung anyway. Don't think I've ever heard what the words are to the anti-Scottish verse, what are they?

  20. #70
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait and see the Scotland ones. You'll spot them a mile away singing the hilarious Jimmy Hill song, sporting really funny wigs and whinging about oil.
    yeah, cos thats what Scotland fans are known for, singing/chatting about the current oil situation....

    not been to many Scotland games have you?

  21. #71
    Radge Donator
    superbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rooftop Liffeyside Matembezi
    Posts
    2,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Would the Norn Iron support actually chuck GSTQ if they had the choice? Its an embarrassment of a song and undermines any attempt by the IFA to reach beyond the national teams traditional support base.
    Ni neart go cur le chile
    www.stpatsfc.com

  22. #72
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by superbam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would the Norn Iron support actually chuck GSTQ if they had the choice? Its an embarrassment of a song and undermines any attempt by the IFA to reach beyond the national teams traditional support base.
    Maybe, in time.

    Bear in mind that, under the new NI and its various agreements, people have the right to feel British and the right to express it. NI supporters will have a say in which anthem is played and will, rightly, ask what is being done by their county GAA team to remove the Irish influence from their sport, since they are being asked to remove their British identity from theirs.

    There are a very large number of NI fans who would like GSTQ to be replaced (including myself), but I think the more likely solution in due course is that an additional anthem representing NI is played.

    At the end of the day, people recognising the views of others in NI does not mean that they have to remove everything that shows their opinion - the ideal situation is that nationalists recognise unionist's right to exist in NI and vice versa. Removing every union flag, tricolour, GSTQ and Soldier's Song isn't achieving very much and isn't going to happen. People should be able to accept the various flags and anthems we have over here.

    To be blunt: as a fan of NI football, I'm not going to be upset by the sight of an Irish flag at a GAA game, and - while I'd prefer that NI had a flag of its own people could wave - plenty of nationalists are big enough not to get upset at the sight of a union flag or GSTQ at an NI game. Should we remove every trace of the identity folk want to show or just respect each other's indentity and let folk who feel the need for flag-waving and anthem-singing get on with it?

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  23. #73
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe, in time.

    Bear in mind that, under the new NI and its various agreements, people have the right to feel British and the right to express it. NI supporters will have a say in which anthem is played and will, rightly, ask what is being done by their county GAA team to remove the Irish influence from their sport, since they are being asked to remove their British identity from theirs.

    There are a very large number of NI fans who would like GSTQ to be replaced (including myself), but I think the more likely solution in due course is that an additional anthem representing NI is played.

    At the end of the day, people recognising the views of others in NI does not mean that they have to remove everything that shows their opinion - the ideal situation is that nationalists recognise unionist's right to exist in NI and vice versa. Removing every union flag, tricolour, GSTQ and Soldier's Song isn't achieving very much and isn't going to happen. People should be able to accept the various flags and anthems we have over here.

    To be blunt: as a fan of NI football, I'm not going to be upset by the sight of an Irish flag at a GAA game, and - while I'd prefer that NI had a flag of its own people could wave - plenty of nationalists are big enough not to get upset at the sight of a union flag or GSTQ at an NI game. Should we remove every trace of the identity folk want to show or just respect each other's indentity and let folk who feel the need for flag-waving and anthem-singing get on with it?
    Conor, NI politics is crying out for someone like you. Top Class.

    Assuming you are not an active politician, Can you see the day that both communities can coelese around a centre minded man such as yourself? A Mandela for Ulster?

  24. #74
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by sKipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But it is our anthem too. As such I feel perfectly content to boo the anti Scottish shyte for all I'm worth !
    Its not anti-Scottish. It christian monarchist $#@!e but its not anti-scottish.

  25. #75
    Radge Donator
    superbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rooftop Liffeyside Matembezi
    Posts
    2,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Bear in mind that, under the new NI and its various agreements, people have the right to feel British and the right to express it. NI supporters will have a say in which anthem is played and will, rightly, ask what is being done by their county GAA team to remove the Irish influence from their sport, since they are being asked to remove their British identity from theirs.
    I agree. It is less the specific Britishness of GSTQ which I was seeing as a problem, but the general sentiments of the song - the whole outdated imperialist triumphalism and celebration of British military conquest- as perhaps being a bridge too far for nationalists, as the sentiments of soldiers song would surely be for unionists.

    Mind you I suppose this is the problem with most national anthems - Flower of Scotland is an embarrasment in its own, nearly completely opposite, way.


    At the end of the day, people recognising the views of others in NI does not mean that they have to remove everything that shows their opinion - the ideal situation is that nationalists recognise unionist's right to exist in NI and vice versa. Removing every union flag, tricolour, GSTQ and Soldier's Song isn't achieving very much and isn't going to happen. People should be able to accept the various flags and anthems we have over here.

    To be blunt: as a fan of NI football, I'm not going to be upset by the sight of an Irish flag at a GAA game, and - while I'd prefer that NI had a flag of its own people could wave - plenty of nationalists are big enough not to get upset at the sight of a union flag or GSTQ at an NI game. Should we remove every trace of the identity folk want to show or just respect each other's indentity and let folk who feel the need for flag-waving and anthem-singing get on with it?
    I have yet to see an Irish flag at a GAA game but I accept your point - for what its worth I would imagine GSTQ to be far more unpalatable to nationalists than a union flag but I may be wrong.

    I agree re flags in general, I have the same attitude towards flags etc at Easter Road/Scottish Football as a whole.
    Ni neart go cur le chile
    www.stpatsfc.com

  26. #76
    Radge Private Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1093 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Given that Wales & NI have played each other recently im curious to know how the Welsh fans reacted to GSTQ. Anyone know?

  27. #77
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Stennyhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Conor, NI politics is crying out for someone like you. Top Class.

    Assuming you are not an active politician, Can you see the day that both communities can coelese around a centre minded man such as yourself? A Mandela for Ulster?


    Nah - I'm no good at giving speeches. I might help the Alliance Party out some time with something, but I haven't decided yet.

    Besides, some kind of NI independance movement (probably not total independance, but folk will certainly start to take more pride in NI and move aware from London/Dublin) will gradually grow here off its own steam.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  28. #78
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    I agree. It is less the specific Britishness of GSTQ which I was seeing as a problem, but the general sentiments of the song - the whole outdated imperialist triumphalism and celebration of British military conquest- as perhaps being a bridge too far for nationalists, as the sentiments of soldiers song would surely be for unionists.
    I see your point. Unfortunately GSTQ is a thing held very dear by a very large number of folk across here. Hopefully some day it will be replaced (or, more likely exist beside) an anthem which about and for NI specifically.

    I have yet to see an Irish flag at a GAA game but I accept your point - for what its worth I would imagine GSTQ to be far more unpalatable to nationalists than a union flag but I may be wrong.

    I agree re flags in general, I have the same attitude towards flags etc at Easter Road/Scottish Football as a whole.
    It was a clumsy example and just based on my experience of Casement Park. What I was trying to say was (as a broader example) that I wouldn't expect to visit the Falls without seeing Irish symbols any more than I would expect to see the opposite in The Village on the way to an NI game. Both are unfortunate, but they don't bother me much. At the end of the day, I hope folk can learn to see symbols of Irishness and Britishness in various areas of life and just accept them as interchangable.

    Saying that, I'd prefer that GSTQ be replaced at NI games with something more relevant and I know plenty of folk of various political persuasions, and none, who hold the same view. Hopefully, this is a hint at something in the political future, instead of the usual tribal bull$#@! our politicians have cultivated.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  29. #79
    Radge Donator
    superbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Rooftop Liffeyside Matembezi
    Posts
    2,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    It was a clumsy example and just based on my experience of Casement Park. What I was trying to say was (as a broader example) that I wouldn't expect to visit the Falls without seeing Irish symbols any more than I would expect to see the opposite in The Village on the way to an NI game
    To be fair the fact that the national anthem is played at the start of championship matches in GAA compensates for the lack of flag waving.


    Saying that, I'd prefer that GSTQ be replaced at NI games with something more relevant and I know plenty of folk of various political persuasions, and none, who hold the same view.
    Its a difficult one since most national anthems tend to be backwards-looking and jingoistic. Thats why England is so lucky as it has a beautiful, positive, forward looking anthem available to it in Jerusalem.
    Ni neart go cur le chile
    www.stpatsfc.com

  30. #80
    Radge


    1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murraystoon
    Posts
    36,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5554 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    3468

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGod4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh dear and you supposedly an impartial administrator on a forum for "opinions" ?/em

    Have a look at your passport

    Who said any of the admins are impartial or indeed that all bouncers are 'British'?

    For the record, I will be booing the tune.
    nil satis nisi optimum

  31. #81
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Northern Ireland Hibby;825109]
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    @ Colr - a quick bit of research suggests that the original name for the tune is Londonderry Air, so - like Derry City Council and Apprentice Boys of Derry - it isn't properly interchangable.

    I reckon we'd need a new name for the tune anyway as there'd be no mileage in contininually dragging up the sordid little debate the folk of Londondoire have been having for years about their own name every time the thing is sung!
    I thought Colr was the London derriere?


  32. #82
    Quite a bit past it radge






    Sir Shrink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    23,869
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6343 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2581

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    For the record, I will be booing the tune.

    Don't do it 1875.


    That tit Keith Jackshun will just misquote you and say you walked on barefoot down the M8 to sing it.


  33. #83
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Stennyhibee;825744]
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I thought Colr was the London derriere?

    More of a Muswell Hillbilly.

  34. #84
    Radge Donator
    bigmanandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The East Stand
    Posts
    7,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    1075
    Rep Power
    166

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still should respect anyones anthem
    It will get booed without a shadow of doubt....

  35. #85
    Radge Donator
    bigmanandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The East Stand
    Posts
    7,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    1075
    Rep Power
    166

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.
    OUR ANTHEM Its not mine and never will be mine....feck anything to do with scummy England.

  36. #86
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OUR ANTHEM Its not mine and never will be mine....feck anything to do with scummy England.
    Its not the English anthem either.

  37. #87
    Bounced Out! LeGod4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    LUHG
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know them well

    They run a very good supporters' club.
    My mate who happens to be the nephew of Norn Irons greatest ever player is a member and is getting the tickets for the game in the NI end, taking my laddie resplendent in his Green Norn Iron Geordie Best Top.

    I was over in Ballymena in March and back over again in August

  38. #88
    Bounced Out! LeGod4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    LUHG
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you really suggesting admins should not have opinions. Strange indeed.

    Not all but one would have thought a more sensible reply instead of resorting to cheap taunts.

  39. #89
    Radge Private Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,600
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1093 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGod4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My mate who happens to be the nephew of Norn Irons greatest ever player is a member and is getting the tickets for the game in the NI end, taking my laddie resplendent in his Green Norn Iron Geordie Best Top.

    I was over in Ballymena in March and back over again in August
    Think i met some of them in Warsaw before the Poland v NI game-they were a good bunch of lads unlike the fuds from Newtonards but i think that was too be expected. My auntie lives in Ballymena ,havent been there in ages though.

  40. #90
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,222
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OUR ANTHEM Its not mine and never will be mine....feck anything to do with scummy England.
    I assume that includes our English fans ?
    Pretty stupid statement to make anyway don't you think ?
    There's nowt like a bit of good old racism eh

  41. #91
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by LeGod4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not all but one would have thought a more sensible reply instead of resorting to cheap taunts.


    Thats a $#@!in belter considering some of the taunts you've spouted over the years!!
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  42. #92
    Honourably Discharged

    HailHail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    A national anthem debate and no one's wheeled out that old hun classic ' you're british because that's what it says on your passport' yet......

  43. #93
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    You're British cause thats what it says on yer passport!!




















    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  44. #94
    Honourably Discharged

    HailHail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're British cause thats what it says on yer passport!!





















  45. #95
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Jamesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    feck anything to do with scummy England.
    ...and it is wee muppetheids like you who, whilst loudly proclaiming your Scottish patriotism, are silently pegging this country back. Spot the irony? Probably not.

  46. #96
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and it is wee muppetheids like you who, whilst loudly proclaiming your Scottish patriotism, are silently pegging this country back. Spot the irony? Probably not.

    His mum probably does it for him!
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  47. #97
    Radge Private Member



    kev1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    preston
    Posts
    2,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait and see the Scotland ones. You'll spot them a mile away singing the hilarious Jimmy Hill song, sporting really funny wigs and whinging about oil.
    Thankfully though, Scotland fans are normally pretty well behaved. The same can't be said for the bigoted hangers on it would seem are still following NI.

  48. #98
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by kev1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thankfully though, Scotland fans are normally pretty well behaved. The same can't be said for the bigoted hangers on it would seem are still following NI.
    You're joking me, right

    NI fans (since the Football for All campaign) have been recognised by Uefa for the steps they have taken to create a welcoming atmosphere at Windsor Park- something which supporters' clubs worked very, very hard towards and which is evidenced by the thousands of new supporters who have come to the team. From personal experience, I can tell you that the results have been outstanding.

    Aside from a small number of tubes in the away support (don't all teams have those), I can only think that you mean the minority of NI fans who use the British or so-called NI flag for their banners (who are expressing their Britishness in the same way RoI fans from NI have a right to express their Irishness under the Irish flag). That hardly makes then bigots, does it?

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  49. #99
    Toddler Radge
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will get booed without a shadow of doubt....
    are you a spokesman for the tartan army or something? You dont know what you're talking about so shut the $#@! up

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmanandy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OUR ANTHEM Its not mine and never will be mine....feck anything to do with scummy England.
    I'm guessing the feeling would be mutual. You probably think statements like that make you uber-Scottish or something, but they don't, they make you sound like a $#@!wit

  50. #100
    Radge Donator
    shandongreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    West of mad vlads circus
    Posts
    4,844
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by jasewood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I don't class myself as British as to me I would be stuck in the same group as those Hearts and Rangers fans who like to stick there uber-britishness in my face with Union Jacks and needless songs.

    I remember being in 3rd/4th year at Tynecastle and have some of my mates,who are Gunts,singing GSTQ for no other reason than to act like a tit.

    I will admit to when filling out a form online I will look for Scotland 1st,GB 2nd - I don't recognise it as my anthem in a political or footy sense.


    RIGHT,thats your internet taken off you for a week, and no tea or stuff for lunch if you dont sing GSTQ to me at bedtime with gusto.

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Scotland v N Ireland
    By 1875 in forum Irish Hibs
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-09-08, 00:27
  2. Scotland Vs N . Ireland.....
    By McLeod1875 in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 22-08-08, 07:58
  3. Scotland v Northern Ireland
    By PILTONSTANY in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-08-08, 16:53
  4. Scotland v Northern Ireland (Friendly Info.)
    By Riordan in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-03-08, 09:04
  5. Sectarianism "more ingrained" in Scotland than Northern Ireland
    By Purple & Green in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 26-05-06, 09:09

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •