Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 266

Thread: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

  1. #1
    Shameless Radge




    PILTONSTANY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh's Waterfront
    Posts
    13,085
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2726 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    693

    Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    There's no other way
    There's no other way
    All that you can do
    Is watch them play

  2. #2
    Saorsa a-nis Radge Stewart_HfC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Largs
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Of Course!

  3. #3
    Lets play PKR radge Bob1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Whitecraig, just up fi the dolphin
    Posts
    2,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Still should respect anyones anthem

  4. #4
    Tigers ya Radge!
    Tkraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Course, I can't fathom this problem with booing oppositions national anthems.

    Although in future I will wait til lafter the national anthem finishes to sing derogatory songs and call the opposition all sorts of colourful names.


  5. #5
    Mental Radge
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hunger City
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.

  6. #6
    Tigers ya Radge!
    Tkraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Not as a footballing association it's not.

  7. #7
    Radge Donator
    dangerousdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southside
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    36

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.


    Not going, but I would if I was.
    Do you feel like a rock star? : I do actually.

    What is that term? : Passion at everything - when you're making that tea, make sure it's the best cup of tea ever. Everything's got to be the nuts.

  8. #8
    Radge Donator

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    absolutely never

  9. #9
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......


  10. #10
    Donator

    jockney green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    am out there jerry an am lovin every minute of it!!!!
    Posts
    1,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    aye boo hiss to this one as always

    though i do that tae all national anthems/other teams songs anyway except la marseilles cos i jus think its a crackin tune so i usually join in

    arme vos citizens
    forme los battalions
    marchand
    marchand




    SAOR ALBA

  11. #11
    Hate Hearts Radge
    Tully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Broxburn
    Posts
    3,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye

  12. #12
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess sKipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Linlithgow
    Posts
    3,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will be there and I will be booing the Loyalist anthem.

  13. #13
    Radge Private Member



    kev1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    preston
    Posts
    2,269
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.

  14. #14
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by PILTONSTANY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should have respect for another nations anthem. That said, they should surely choose a better one than that dirge - especially in the spirit of unity across the religious divide.

    Screwed if I can come up with one though. Danny Boy? Would be a tear jerker!!

  15. #15
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.
    We use Flower of Scotland, no?

    England shouldn't use it either as it is a British anthem. They should use Jerusalem or something.

    Frankly, I disagree with GSTQ's central sentiment - they should replace it with Land of Hope and Glory.

  16. #16
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess GforGallo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,536
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should have respect for another nations anthem. That said, they should surely choose a better one than that dirge - especially in the spirit of unity across the religious divide.

    Screwed if I can come up with one though. Danny Boy? Would be a tear jerker!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We use Flower of Scotland, no?

    England shouldn't use it either as it is a British anthem. They should use Jerusalem or something.

    Frankly, I disagree with GSTQ's central sentiment - they should replace it with Land of Hope and Glory.

    personally i wouldnt boo it and have very little positive to say about the union. i just cant fathom booing another countries anthem its highly disrespectful.

    also on the subject of a nirish anthem how about hes here, hes there?

    would they sing irelands call? the rugby anthem or is it to soon?

    fwiw i can see a joint football team within 3 generations

  17. #17
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by GforGallo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    personally i wouldnt boo it and have very little positive to say about the union. i just cant fathom booing another countries anthem its highly disrespectful.

    also on the subject of a nirish anthem how about hes here, hes there?

    would they sing irelands call? the rugby anthem or is it to soon?

    fwiw i can see a joint football team within 3 generations
    If Scotland played the republic and they played the soldiers song would half the scotland crowd sing along

  18. #18
    Radge

    1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murraystoon
    Posts
    36,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5699 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    3742

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Scotland played the republic and they played the soldiers song would half the scotland crowd sing along
    No, as its sung in Gaelic, only soapdodging tramps sing Amhrn na bhFiann in English.
    nil satis nisi optimum

  19. #19
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess *chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Posts
    1,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    If I go, I won't boo their anthem. I never boo any other country's national anthem, as I'd expect them to show the same respect for ours.

    I don't actually think anyone should be singing GSTQ, apart from British teams in the Olympics or whatever other competition it might be.

  20. #20
    Administrator formerly known as Lanarkhibs
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Skye
    Posts
    6,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's also our anthem which makes it even more bizarre why some might boo it.
    It might be yours but it is not ours. You can take it and your union flag and stick it where the sun does not shine.
    From Skye to Leith, the home of the Hibees

  21. #21
    Radge Private Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1093 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    224

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    I booed it at both Poland v NI games during the last WC qualifiers and at Old Trafford v Ingurland-even though i was in the Ingurland end.As an athiest & a republican i find it offensive.

  22. #22
    Baby Radge
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alba
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Most definitely.

  23. #23
    A True Gadgie/Gadgess Jamesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    By booing GSTQ we simply come across as the parochial, narrow minded, insular "wee Scots" that so much of the media loves to portray us as.

    Perhaps time to grow out of it a wee bit?

  24. #24
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By booing GSTQ we simply come across as the parochial, narrow minded, insular "wee Scots" that so much of the media loves to portray us as.

    Perhaps time to grow out of it a wee bit?
    Well said.

    Did any of you stop long enough to think that GSTQ is used by the IFA to represent NI because NI doesn't have an anthem of its own.

    So you wouldn't be booing the Union, Queen Liz or any other thing - you'd be booing Northern Ireland, because that is what - on this occasion - the song is representing.

    I'm shocked by the number of folk in favour of booing another country's anthem (albeit it's our anthem by only default and until we get our own to use in same way that Flower of Scotland is used by the Scots).

    Someone remind me why most folk on here were against an Orange walk in Leith. Something to do with intolerance IIRC.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  25. #25
    Administrator formerly known as Lanarkhibs
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Skye
    Posts
    6,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well said.

    Did any of you stop long enough to think that GSTQ is used by the IFA to represent NI because NI doesn't have an anthem of its own.

    So you wouldn't be booing the Union, Queen Liz or any other thing - you'd be booing Northern Ireland, because that is what - on this occasion - the song is representing.

    I'm shocked by the number of folk in favour of booing another country's anthem (albeit it's our anthem by only default and until we get our own to use in same way that Flower of Scotland is used by the Scots).

    Someone remind me why most folk on here were against an Orange walk in Leith. Something to do with intolerance IIRC.
    The song in the fourth verse is anti Scots.
    From Skye to Leith, the home of the Hibees

  26. #26
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The song in the fourth verse is anti Scots.
    I don't get you.

    How does that change anything I said in my last post?

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  27. #27
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Colr;824161]You should have respect for another nations anthem. That said, they should surely choose a better one than that dirge - especially in the spirit of unity across the religious divide.

    Screwed if I can come up with one though. Danny Boy? Would be a tear jerker!![
    /QUOTE]

    Many a true word said in jest - the Londonderry Air, given new words and a new name would recognise the fact that NI includes two main groups with very different views. I'd be all for it.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  28. #28
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Northern Ireland Hibby;824760]
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should have respect for another nations anthem. That said, they should surely choose a better one than that dirge - especially in the spirit of unity across the religious divide.

    Screwed if I can come up with one though. Danny Boy? Would be a tear jerker!![
    /QUOTE]

    Many a true word said in jest - the Londonderry Air, given new words and a new name would recognise the fact that NI includes two main groups with very different views. I'd be all for it.
    Well, according to Wiki:-

    The Londonderry Air (or Derry Air) is an anthem of Northern Ireland. It is also popular among the Irish diaspora and very well known throughout the world. The tune is played as the Northern Ireland anthem at the Commonwealth Games. "Danny Boy" is a popular set of lyrics to the tune. Australian composer Percy Grainger wrote numerous settings of this tune.

  29. #29
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The song in the fourth verse is anti Scots.
    This verse was only ever used briefly, before the song was considered an anthem, and the line was intended to refer to the Jacobites specifically rather than the Scottish nation as a whole.

  30. #30
    Radge Private Member
    Smurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    35,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6575 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1849

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It might be yours but it is not ours. You can take it and your union flag and stick it where the sun does not shine.
    That of course is only a section of opinion though.

  31. #31
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It might be yours but it is not ours. You can take it and your union flag and stick it where the sun does not shine.
    Manchester?

  32. #32
    Administrator formerly known as Lanarkhibs
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Skye
    Posts
    6,454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    87

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get you.

    How does that change anything I said in my last post?
    It is a very good reason why some folk have strong feelings about the song.
    From Skye to Leith, the home of the Hibees

  33. #33
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is a very good reason why some folk have strong feelings about the song.
    A bit hypocritical surely ? after sending Edward home to think again ?

  34. #34
    Tigers ya Radge!
    Tkraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A bit hypocritical surely ? after sending Edward home to think again ?
    In fairness, it's not really mate.

    If O Flower of Scotland, was the English national anthem, then it would be hypocritical.

  35. #35
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkraz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In fairness, it's not really mate.

    If O Flower of Scotland, was the English national anthem, then it would be hypocritical.
    Would it

  36. #36
    Tigers ya Radge!
    Tkraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    138

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Well yeah, because it's the fact that "our own" National Anthem of God Save the Queen is insulting to the people who it is supposed to be representing.

    Whereas O Flower of Scotland, is our national anthem, and is insulting to other nations.

  37. #37
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkraz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well yeah, because it's the fact that "our own" National Anthem of God Save the Queen is insulting to the people who it is supposed to be representing.

    Whereas O Flower of Scotland, is our national anthem, and is insulting to other nations.
    Depends if it actually is our anthem or not i suppose , some say yes some say no

  38. #38
    Radge-a-Casblanca hibadelic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    784 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    368

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends if it actually is our anthem or not i suppose , some say yes some say no
    Actually, its not and never has been. GSTQ is the British national anthem and is anti-Scots so it's understandable that Scottish people don't like it, even if sung by other nations such as NI.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

  39. #39
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, its not and never has been. GSTQ is the British national anthem and is anti-Scots so it's understandable that Scottish people don't like it, even if sung by other nations such as NI.
    No it isn't. As I said before, that verse was added in, not by the original author, after it was written and dropped out again quite a while before it was adopted as the anthem. There are numerous other verses that have been added then dropped over the centuries - mostly anti-French.

    As it stands the anthem is not anti-Scots. It is however a dirge which does not appeal to athiest republicans like myself.

  40. #40
    Mental Radge
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hunger City
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It might be yours but it is not ours. You can take it and your union flag and stick it where the sun does not shine.
    Welcome to Scotland (home of the little people)

  41. #41
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    The English should change their anthem to the Lydon/Jones/Cook/Matlock version. That I would quite happily sing along with.

    The other song is the worst load of pish ever written.

    Still, let's not boo it, that's disrespectful to the Irish. Lampoon it by doing a conga whilst it is getting played.

  42. #42
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Stennyhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The English should change their anthem to the Lydon/Jones/Cook/Matlock version. That I would quite happily sing along with.

    The other song is the worst load of pish ever written.

    Still, let's not boo it, that's disrespectful to the Irish. Lampoon it by doing a conga whilst it is getting played.
    Go with that!!

  43. #43
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to Scotland (home of the little people)
    I thought that was Ireland.


  44. #44
    Snuff Munching Radge

    Decal Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Currie
    Posts
    6,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    48

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to Scotland (home of the little people)
    I thought it was Lilliput

  45. #45
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    Quote Originally Posted by hibadelic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, its not and never has been. GSTQ is the British national anthem and is anti-Scots so it's understandable that Scottish people don't like it, even if sung by other nations such as NI.
    @ Hibadelic and Skyehibs - that's one way of looking at it.

    But, IMHO, the fact that the Scots have a beef against the English is no reason to take it out on NI guests in your country - they are only using the song because they don't have one of their own yet.

    Saying that, I reckon you'll have some absolute dregs of so-called NI supporters in Scotland for the game. I'll be giving it a miss and so are most of the folk I know.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  46. #46
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Colr;824782]
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Well, according to Wiki:-

    The Londonderry Air (or Derry Air) is an anthem of Northern Ireland. It is also popular among the Irish diaspora and very well known throughout the world. The tune is played as the Northern Ireland anthem at the Commonwealth Games. "Danny Boy" is a popular set of lyrics to the tune. Australian composer Percy Grainger wrote numerous settings of this tune.
    'An anthem of NI'. That's true, sort of. But it's only recognised by some.

    I'd like to see it used by the NI team, in time. It might be necessary to have two anthems - LA/DA and GSTQ - for quite a while first, as anything else would cause such a row it would bring out the worst in the support and set cross-community football here back by a decade.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  47. #47
    Radge Donator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stirlingshire
    Posts
    4,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Northern Ireland Hibby;825075]
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    'An anthem of NI'. That's true, sort of. But it's only recognised by some.

    I'd like to see it used by the NI team, in time. It might be necessary to have two anthems - LA/DA and GSTQ - for quite a while first, as anything else would cause such a row it would bring out the worst in the support and set cross-community football here back by a decade.
    As part of the new NI, why dont you have a respected NI composer come up with a new anthem, with words that only deals with the landscape, and avoids any "human" elements. ie Lough Neagh?

    Or use a classic like "the black velvet band". Top tune.

  48. #48
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Stennyhibee;825091]
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    As part of the new NI, why dont you have a respected NI composer come up with a new anthem, with words that only deals with the landscape, and avoids any "human" elements. ie Lough Neagh?

    Or use a classic like "the black velvet band". Top tune.
    I'd love a new anthem for NI, but like I said if it is done too early or handled wrongly them the politicians could turn it into a big enough row to pull Stormont apart.

    I'd go for the Londonderry Air tune. Getting new words written which everyone would be happy with would be a very, very tall order but they did it with the police crest so in theory it is possible.

    Personally, the day when folk in NI stand to an anthem of their own will be a very, very happy one for me as it will mean that folk here have developed a bit of pride in their own home instead of always, at any cost, keeping their blinkered vision towards London or Dublin.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  49. #49
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    [QUOTE=Northern Ireland Hibby;825075]
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    'An anthem of NI'. That's true, sort of. But it's only recognised by some.

    I'd like to see it used by the NI team, in time. It might be necessary to have two anthems - LA/DA and GSTQ - for quite a while first, as anything else would cause such a row it would bring out the worst in the support and set cross-community football here back by a decade.
    @ Colr - a quick bit of research suggests that the original name for the tune is Londonderry Air, so - like Derry City Council and Apprentice Boys of Derry - it isn't properly interchangable.

    I reckon we'd need a new name for the tune anyway as there'd be no mileage in contininually dragging up the sordid little debate the folk of Londondoire have been having for years about their own name every time the thing is sung!

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  50. #50
    Honourably Discharged

    HailHail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,975
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Scotland V Northern Ireland,Scotland fans.......

    I'd boo English Royalist anthem GSTQ against England, it sounded hilarious when we drowned it out completely in 1999. It's no the North's fault that it's their only anthem though is it?

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Scotland v N Ireland
    By 1875 in forum Irish Hibs
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-09-08, 00:27
  2. Scotland Vs N . Ireland.....
    By McLeod1875 in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 22-08-08, 07:58
  3. Scotland v Northern Ireland
    By PILTONSTANY in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-08-08, 16:53
  4. Scotland v Northern Ireland (Friendly Info.)
    By Riordan in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-03-08, 09:04
  5. Sectarianism "more ingrained" in Scotland than Northern Ireland
    By Purple & Green in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 26-05-06, 09:09

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •