Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: (Un)friendly Neighbours

  1. #1
    Toddler Radge
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    12

    Angry (Un)friendly Neighbours

    I don't mean to be xenophobic towards the influx of Eastern European migrant workers that have landed on our shores - indeed I try my hardest not to be, they are, after all, only trying to earn a decent crust - however I have to draw the line at sights such as that which I witnessed this afternoon. While gazing out of my window in order to establish what the source of the raucous laughter and general hilarity drifting up from the communal green was, I observed not one, but two of our Polish cousins URINATING in the garden, during a leisurely Sunday afternoon BBQ - literally feet from one female neighbour, in her thirties, mowing the grass; another female neighbour in her 70s hanging out her washing, plus her pack of 3 small dogs; and a scattering of kids playing with a football. Alas for my unfortunate neighbours, this sight was best observed from above and they were ignorant to the Polish method of grass irrigation.

    I mean, call me a prude, but personally I find that beyond the pale. Would they piss in their own gardens?!!

  2. #2
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be xenophobic towards the influx of Eastern European migrant workers that have landed on our shores - indeed I try my hardest not to be, they are, after all, only trying to earn a decent crust - however I have to draw the line at sights such as that which I witnessed this afternoon. While gazing out of my window in order to establish what the source of the raucous laughter and general hilarity drifting up from the communal green was, I observed not one, but two of our Polish cousins URINATING in the garden, during a leisurely Sunday afternoon BBQ - literally feet from one female neighbour, in her thirties, mowing the grass; another female neighbour in her 70s hanging out her washing, plus her pack of 3 small dogs; and a scattering of kids playing with a football. Alas for my unfortunate neighbours, this sight was best observed from above and they were ignorant to the Polish method of grass irrigation.

    I mean, call me a prude, but personally I find that beyond the pale. Would they piss in their own gardens?!!

    Nothing to do with being of eastern european origin mate, just filthy, uncouth bassas really!
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  3. #3
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be xenophobic towards the influx of Eastern European migrant workers that have landed on our shores - indeed I try my hardest not to be, they are, after all, only trying to earn a decent crust - however I have to draw the line at sights such as that which I witnessed this afternoon. While gazing out of my window in order to establish what the source of the raucous laughter and general hilarity drifting up from the communal green was, I observed not one, but two of our Polish cousins URINATING in the garden, during a leisurely Sunday afternoon BBQ - literally feet from one female neighbour, in her thirties, mowing the grass; another female neighbour in her 70s hanging out her washing, plus her pack of 3 small dogs; and a scattering of kids playing with a football. Alas for my unfortunate neighbours, this sight was best observed from above and they were ignorant to the Polish method of grass irrigation.

    I mean, call me a prude, but personally I find that beyond the pale. Would they piss in their own gardens?!!
    if you've never encountered anyone other than poles do the likes of this, and indeed much much worse, you can't have been in edinburgh long yerself.

  4. #4
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by cavalier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing to do with being of eastern european origin mate, just filthy, uncouth bassas really!
    mebbes aye, mebbes naw. there's definitely different attitudes on various social issues in different countries, so it may be the poles are more relaxed about this sort of thing. then again maybe they're not and it's just these individuals. i don't know.

    either way, i've seen tons worse from the natives.

  5. #5
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mebbes aye, mebbes naw. there's definitely different attitudes on various social issues in different countries, so it may be the poles are more relaxed about this sort of thing. then again maybe they're not and it's just these individuals. i don't know.

    either way, i've seen tons worse from the natives.
    Doesn't really make it right though

  6. #6
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't really make it right though
    no it doesn't. but it doesn't make it an excuse for pole bashing either.

  7. #7
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no it doesn't. but it doesn't make it an excuse for pole bashing either.
    I never saw it like that surely Poles can be branded ignorant tossers just like anyone else ??

  8. #8
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never saw it like that surely Poles can be branded ignorant tossers just like anyone else ??
    i didn't really see what the whole preamble about immigration had to do with anything, and the whole 'drawing the line' bit suggests that an prior issue, that's now been pushed over the edge.

  9. #9
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i didn't really see what the whole preamble about immigration had to do with anything, and the whole 'drawing the line' bit suggests that an prior issue, that's now been pushed over the edge.
    Well i wouldn't want to see it from my window either but it appears incoming workers can do as they please and that anyone taking offence is merely rascist . Imagine if they had Rangers or England shirts on

  10. #10
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well i wouldn't want to see it from my window either but it appears incoming workers can do as they please and that anyone taking offence is merely rascist . Imagine if they had Rangers or England shirts on

    I agree that there is not any real need to distinguish between ones origin, but Forza has a very valid point.
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  11. #11
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well i wouldn't want to see it from my window either but it appears incoming workers can do as they please and that anyone taking offence is merely rascist . Imagine if they had Rangers or England shirts on
    that's different. cos they're hun $#@!s

  12. #12
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's different. cos they're hun $#@!s
    Hopefully not hun $#@!s fae Warsaw

  13. #13
    Duke of Radgaria

    cavalier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Carrick knowe
    Posts
    5,776
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully not hun $#@!s fae Warsaw

    There is every chance.


    They are unlikely to be huns fae the weedge!!!
    ..."I am the Shape Of Things To Come, the Lord of the Flies, Holder Of The Sword Sinister The Death-Bringer I am the one who waits on the edge of your dreams I am all these things and many more"

  14. #14
    The artist formerly known as Dixie Bartok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    15,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    I think it should be possible to criticise a culture without being labelled a racist. If it is a feature of Polish life that they all piss in their communal gardens, then it's one I don't like. But somehow I doubt it is. Pissing in public places is on the other hand a fairly common feature of Scottish city life, as egb says.

  15. #15
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it should be possible to criticise a culture without being labelled a racist. If it is a feature of Polish life that they all piss in their communal gardens, then it's one I don't like. But somehow I doubt it is. Pissing in public places is on the other hand a fairly common feature of Scottish city life, as egb says.
    Can i just ask why you would doubt it ? I reckon arseholes are arseholes and every country will have its share .
    Decent people here dont do it , I dont and i'm sure you didnt

  16. #16
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    I'm with EBG - I don't see what the guy being Polish has to do with the story.

    I've peshed in many a garden but as far as I know the neighbours haven't started to rethink their views on Hibby integration into the community

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  17. #17
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with EBG - I don't see what the guy being Polish has to do with the story.

    I've peshed in many a garden but as far as I know the neighbours haven't started to rethink their views on Hibby integration into the community
    If they had been English it would have been just fine nobody on here would have batted an eyelid , true or false Conor ?
    ie "A bunch of English guys were being loud and pishing in the garden"
    Would you question why their nationality was mentioned

  18. #18
    The artist formerly known as Dixie Bartok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    back home
    Posts
    15,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can i just ask why you would doubt it ? I reckon arseholes are arseholes and every country will have its share .
    Decent people here dont do it , I dont and i'm sure you didnt
    Because I was in Poland for nearly three weeks a few years ago and never came across or heard of a social convention of people pissing in communal gardens, and because it would be such an oddity in terms of European customs and manners that I am sure it would be more widely known. I also remember that most hotels and public buildings were provided with toilets, just as in other places.

    I wish I could say that I have never pissed in somebody's garden, but I am ashamed to say that I have. Just the once (I think), on the walk home from some pub.

  19. #19
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because I was in Poland for nearly three weeks a few years ago and never came across or heard of a social convention of people pissing in communal gardens, and because it would be such an oddity in terms of European customs and manners that I am sure it would be more widely known. I also remember that most hotels and public buildings were provided with toilets, just as in other places.

    I wish I could say that I have never pissed in somebody's garden, but I am ashamed to say that I have. Just the once (I think), on the walk home from some pub.
    Well you can't argue with that kind of experience . You should clock the state of our bogs at work after the nightshift has finished

  20. #20
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they had been English it would have been just fine nobody on here would have batted an eyelid , true or false Conor ?
    ie "A bunch of English guys were being loud and pishing in the garden"
    Would you question why their nationality was mentioned
    True - but the original post wouldn't have been suggesting that they were behaving that way because they were English and the issue of the number of English in Edinburgh wouldn't be under question. The original post wouldn't have been a comment about the behaviour of the English in general. But the original poster - by bringing up the wider point about Poles in the community - made this an issue about Polish people.

    Besides, the English are not a minority group who are prone to the same type of unfair persecution and misunderstanding which the Poles can find themselves subjected to. They are a new and vulnerable group in the community and I don't think myself or EBG need to apologise for feeling protective towards them.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  21. #21
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    mebbes aye, mebbes naw. there's definitely different attitudes on various social issues in different countries, so it may be the poles are more relaxed about this sort of thing. then again maybe they're not and it's just these individuals. i don't know.

    either way, i've seen tons worse from the natives.
    You sound like the liberal left there!!!

  22. #22
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You sound like the liberal left there!!!
    i don't think so - see post 4. a 'liberal' would automatically assume the poles could not have any bad habits by dint of being a minority. i'm saying i don't know whether they do or not, but if they do they hardly stand out amongst the scots.

    only the facts ma'am.

  23. #23
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i don't think so - see post 4. a 'liberal' would automatically assume the poles could not have any bad habits by dint of being a minority. i'm saying i don't know whether they do or not, but if they do they hardly stand out amongst the scots.

    only the facts ma'am.
    ma'am?

  24. #24
    Radge Private Member

    egb_hibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    From the Capital
    Posts
    35,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6401 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    2121

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ma'am?
    calm down - 'only the facts ma'am'm, that was the catchphrase from some cop show wasn't it? or maybe i'm going senile.

  25. #25
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    calm down - 'only the facts ma'am'm, that was the catchphrase from some cop show wasn't it? or maybe i'm going senile.
    egb: "I was never confused!!"

  26. #26
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by egb_hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    calm down - 'only the facts ma'am'm, that was the catchphrase from some cop show wasn't it? or maybe i'm going senile.
    Order in court you two

    The show in question was 'Dragnet' m'lud.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  27. #27
    The Radge Doon the Road BunnahabhainXXV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,766
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Order in court you two

    The show in question was 'Dragnet' m'lud.
    Never heard of it.

  28. #28
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True - but the original post wouldn't have been suggesting that they were behaving that way because they were English and the issue of the number of English in Edinburgh wouldn't be under question. The original post wouldn't have been a comment about the behaviour of the English in general. But the original poster - by bringing up the wider point about Poles in the community - made this an issue about Polish people.

    Besides, the English are not a minority group who are prone to the same type of unfair persecution and misunderstanding which the Poles can find themselves subjected to. They are a new and vulnerable group in the community and I don't think myself or EBG need to apologise for feeling protective towards them.
    Well we'll agree to disagree Conor , you're a very intelligent guy but i disagree strongly with you .
    There are lots of vulnerable people who nobody gives a $#@! about , some Poles are i agree others most certainly are not .
    I've seen many English kids bullied for being English but who gives a $#@! about that
    Please read the original post again substituting ENGLISH for POLES and answer me honestly that folks reaction would be the same

  29. #29
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well we'll agree to disagree Conor , you're a very intelligent guy but i disagree strongly with you .
    There are lots of vulnerable people who nobody gives a $#@! about , some Poles are i agree others most certainly are not .
    I've seen many English kids bullied for being English but who gives a $#@! about that
    Please read the original post again substituting ENGLISH for POLES and answer me honestly that folks reaction would be the same
    Reactions would be different since if it said English instead of Polish it would be a totally different story - although since the original poster was making an issue of the ethnic group as a whole I'd like to think a few people would disagree with it as too generalised.

    I reckon English kids being bullied is, obviously, out of order and is the nasty side of the whole 'We have Jimmy Hill' jokey English-hating.

    More than happy to agree to disagree D. I'm an auld leftie-turned-liberal-turned-feckknowswhat so I feel an automatic protective instinct towards these new people in our society.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  30. #30
    I'm a Radge Donator



    Forzahibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Glenrothes
    Posts
    31,223
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    1497

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Ireland Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reactions would be different since if it said English instead of Polish it would be a totally different story - although since the original poster was making an issue of the ethnic group as a whole I'd like to think a few people would disagree with it as too generalised.

    I reckon English kids being bullied is, obviously, out of order and is the nasty side of the whole 'We have Jimmy Hill' jokey English-hating.

    More than happy to agree to disagree D. I'm an auld leftie-turned-liberal-turned-feckknowswhat so I feel an automatic protective instinct towards these new people in our society.
    This is the bit i dont understand though , i assume there are more English than Poles in Edinburgh
    Are English not an ethnic group in the same sense ?? Suppose the guys were Irish or Welsh its still generalising is it not
    I dont want to start a big argument and be branded a rascist but i really cant see why the original poster mentioning the guys country of birth is such a huge problem .

  31. #31
    Radge, so it is


    NI Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In County Antrim, so I am
    Posts
    9,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the bit i dont understand though , i assume there are more English than Poles in Edinburgh
    Are English not an ethnic group in the same sense ?? Suppose the guys were Irish or Welsh its still generalising is it not
    I dont want to start a big argument and be branded a rascist but i really cant see why the original poster mentioning the guys country of birth is such a huge problem .
    Yes - they are ethnic groups and I reckon some folk would have questioned why he was generalising and what their nationality has to do with it.

    But in the case of the Polish, they're a new ethnic group and are therefore going to be subjected to some unfair rumours, slurs and rubbish being said against them. People who, like myself, think this is wrong are therefore pretty defensive about them.

    Quote of the year - 'Sure what do you know about Ireland, you're not even from Scotland' ForzaHibs 2009

  32. #32
    Toon Army Radge

    StevieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    3,126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    117

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    I have Polish neighbours and they are excellent.

    Very friendly, always let on, often have barbeques and invite you. Even if you decline they will throw a burger and a bottle of beer your way if you are in the garden. They even take the bins out for me if I've forgotten to put them out.

    Dont see why so much of an issue was made about Polish origins of the ones in this thread.

    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!



  33. #33
    Serious Radge Brizo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    239

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be xenophobic towards the influx of Eastern European migrant workers that have landed on our shores - indeed I try my hardest not to be, they are, after all, only trying to earn a decent crust - however I have to draw the line at sights such as that which I witnessed this afternoon. While gazing out of my window in order to establish what the source of the raucous laughter and general hilarity drifting up from the communal green was, I observed not one, but two of our Polish cousins URINATING in the garden, during a leisurely Sunday afternoon BBQ - literally feet from one female neighbour, in her thirties, mowing the grass; another female neighbour in her 70s hanging out her washing, plus her pack of 3 small dogs; and a scattering of kids playing with a football. Alas for my unfortunate neighbours, this sight was best observed from above and they were ignorant to the Polish method of grass irrigation.

    I mean, call me a prude, but personally I find that beyond the pale. Would they piss in their own gardens?!!
    I dont mean to be xenophobic to some of East Lothians indigenous Scottish population but some time ago I was at a stag night in Prestonpans where rather than wait for a urinal to become vacant a couple of guys decided to pish in the sink. They found their behaviour extremely amusing.

    As a consequence naebody felt like washing their hands before heading back to the buffet ....

    Would they pish in their own sinks. Possibly, but not because theye Panners or Polish but cause theyre ignorant f******

  34. #34
    RaDgER ThAn A BaDgEr rAdGe

    hixxy220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Location, Location!!
    Posts
    2,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to be xenophobic towards the influx of Eastern European migrant workers that have landed on our shores - indeed I try my hardest not to be, they are, after all, only trying to earn a decent crust - however I have to draw the line at sights such as that which I witnessed this afternoon. While gazing out of my window in order to establish what the source of the raucous laughter and general hilarity drifting up from the communal green was, I observed not one, but two of our Polish cousins URINATING in the garden, during a leisurely Sunday afternoon BBQ - literally feet from one female neighbour, in her thirties, mowing the grass; another female neighbour in her 70s hanging out her washing, plus her pack of 3 small dogs; and a scattering of kids playing with a football. Alas for my unfortunate neighbours, this sight was best observed from above and they were ignorant to the Polish method of grass irrigation.

    I mean, call me a prude, but personally I find that beyond the pale. Would they piss in their own gardens?!!
    I think what you witnessed was a pretty rare occurance, the Polish are generally well behaved and are hard working but like every culture and race there are always idiots, instead think of the weedgies everytime they are through here with the buckfast, eldorado and 20/20 and don't care to think where they piss or spit on or who's watching them.

  35. #35
    Toddler Radge
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: (Un)friendly Neighbours

    Right, time to 'fess up methinks. The person who wrote this post was not Bogie (31, white, Scottish, male etc for those who are concerned with demographics) but rather his girlfriend (see photo - and before anyone comments, for nothing other than introductory purposes). To counter some of the arguments in this thread - although I guess to the pedantic majority on this board, I'm not really countering an argument, but rather qualifying it - I am English by birth. I'm 27, female, white and would have called myself liberal until fairly recently. And to be honest, coming from a fairly middle class background and with a degree in Politics, I suppose I would still like to consider myself a liberal in many ways (although I should add the caveat that, as a child of New Labour, I think I'm more on the libertarian side of liberalism than the cosy, centre-leftist, middle ground, social worker (no offence - my aunty is one) side of liberalism that many of my New Labour espousing friends are).

    Anyway, I digress...

    To get back to my original point, in poor old Bogie's name, the reason I mentioned the ethnic origin of said garden pissers, was simply because it was the second most obvious - aside from the heinous act of pissing in the garden - thing about them. The only reason I had an inkling that they were Eastern European was the fact that they were speaking and shouting so loudly that I (on the top floor) could clearly hear their (very Polish sounding, although admittedly I'm no expert on Eastern European dialects) chat.

    So, forgive me, on reflection I now concede that their nationality really wasn't the salient point of this debate. Quite frankly I would have been horrified at their etiquette, no matter where in the world from which they hailed.

    I suppose, therefore, that I am ultimately horrified at the prospect of ANYONE from ANYWHERE urinating in a communal garden - and especially in the middle of the day, a weekend day, with children and elderly neighbours about (even I can forgive the odd drunken, desperate need for a pee in the garden in the dead of night) - and that includes all those who have posted admissions of performing similar acts, whether Scottish, English, Polish or whatever else.

    Has that clarified things a little?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me.jpg  

GoGO Back To Forum

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Neighbours
    By Gatecrasher in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-02-08, 23:35
  2. Basterward Neighbours
    By supastar in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 20-01-07, 14:58
  3. I Wish Our Neighbours the Best of Luck in the Cup Final
    By BunnahabhainXXV in forum Frenchman's Cowshed
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-05-06, 23:33
  4. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-05-06, 18:20

User Tag List

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •