Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Are we becoming more predictable ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    vCash

Are we becoming more predictable ?

Under JC, seems we're not having the silly defeats but we're not coming up with the 3-0s at Ibrox or 3-1s at parkhead ??

Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5714 Post(s)
    vCash

Re: Are we becoming more predictable ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Under JC, seems we're not having the silly defeats but we're not coming up with the 3-0s at Ibrox or 3-1s at parkhead ??
    Although now is not the time to complain, I have to say I am not enjoying the football played anywhere as much as I was a few short months ago. I would go as far as to say our last flowing, skill filled performance was killie away in January?

From a cup point of view I will take three 1-0 lucky bassa cup wins between now and the end of May mind!
    nil satis nisi optimum

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash

I agree with all of the above.

All i want from our team from now untill the very end of May is to Win..

Next season i think we'll see a very different side as i think quite a few will move on..

Including the likes of Whittaker & Murphy amongst the obvious Brown..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1875 View Post
    Although now is not the time to complain, I have to say I am not enjoying the football played anywhere as much as I was a few short months ago. I would go as far as to say our last flowing, skill filled performance was killie away in January?

From a cup point of view I will take three 1-0 lucky bassa cup wins between now and the end of May mind!
    While i do agree, i'll state the obvious and say i'd rather now win something at the expense of some of the entertainment.

I'll take not getting beaten as opposed to "if we play like that, we'll win more than we loose".

Rock n' Roll Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    vCash

I think teams know what to expect from us, and set up to stop us passing the ball around. I also think Sproule has been a little ineffective recently due to players doubling up on him. I think sometimes we should just go a little more direct to catch teams out, then just sit back and the let the good football flow as the other team chases the game.

Probably worth mentioning that we definatly miss Killen holding the ball up and Zemmama's bit of class that he adds.

I'd take a 1-0 hoofball performance if it meant winning two cups!!
    We wanna be free, we wanna be free to do what we wanna do, and we wanna get loaded, and we wanna have a good time... That's what we're gonna do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I agree with all of the above.

All i want from our team from now untill the very end of May is to Win..

Next season i think we'll see a very different side as i think quite a few will move on..

Including the likes of Whittaker & Murphy amongst the obvious Brown..
    Again agreed, it is most likely that JC will have to start again from near zero. Let's just hope the next generation are up to it like they were when Mowbray came in.

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    vCash

Aberdeen at home in the cup second half

I would say we are going through a pretty hard run of games which eases up a wee bit before the split.

I don't think we are playing as well as we have done, but even the playing well was sporadic and liberally interspersed at times with mince.

This is going to sound like heresy to a lot of people but we miss Thomson imo. A lot. He was a very intelligent player who was always available to take an easy pass and keep it moving to another player. That was what our passing side was built on imo and I do think he has been a far bigger loss than people realise. We are probably going to have to change our style a bit to rely on more pace and directness than just pure passing. That is unless we have a player who can take on the Thomson role and do the same sort of job as him, which (again imo) we might just have in Lynch. He needs time to develop and learn, and the supporters have to have a bit of patience for that to happen.

Baby Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

no, i think we were becoming predictible, which is why we are altering the way we play for this time of year.
    Remember it was at about this time of year under TM we'd throw away about a 12 point gap between us and aberdeen cos we insisted on playing the same way even though we were losing or drawing all the time.
    The time to judge JC on how his team play are the first half of next season IMO

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1944 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BingoKidd View Post
    no, i think we were becoming predictible, which is why we are altering the way we play for this time of year.
    Remember it was at about this time of year under TM we'd throw away about a 12 point gap between us and aberdeen cos we insisted on playing the same way even though we were losing or drawing all the time.
    The time to judge JC on how his team play are the first half of next season IMO
    spot on - predictable hibs never finish the season strongly...
    follow the programme archive on twitter: http://twitter.com/hibsbollah

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1572 Post(s)
    vCash

Mowbray was pretty predictable, 2 quarter final wins, 2 quarter final defeats and 2 semi final defeats.

Collins so far 2 quarter final wins, 1 semi final win.

And to be brutally honest, but for yet another goalkeeping stinker on Sunday we would have beat Rangers again. Same could be said for boxing day.

I'm sure everything will come good again once we get Andy McNeil back in goals.

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)
    vCash

I think it's more to do with 'mental attitude' more than football ability or the change in the management structure or becoming 'more predictable'.

At the beginning of the season Martis and Jones were fully focussed as they were the new boys on the block and were striving to make a great impression.

TweedleDee and TweedleDumber were still rather nave wee laddies who hadn't quite realised yet how 'Saint Rodney' had sold them a complete dummy though 'Wullie' was soon to change all that . Boozy had a lot to prove coming back from injury and Mickey Stewart wasn't yet thinking about his next move.

Everything peaked for Hibs partly at the 81% game against Hearts though more in my opinion at the away game v Motherwell (1-6) which was the most complete Hibs away performance I've witnessed possibly ever.. It was that good.

Since then injuries,suspensions, form and confidence loss and transfers both real and imagined have all undermined the team and since Xmas Hibs have been running more often than not on 'Sainsbury petrol'.

JC and TC have a hard job to rekindle the pre xmas teamwork and spirit and you still get the impression this is 'Tony's' team and JC is still to lay down his marker and his failure to supplement the squad in January has to be seen as a fundamental error especially for a club with as much spare cash as Hibs.

If you can call an estimated profit of 6m as 'spare cash'.

It's a fine dividing line but 5th in the league and winning a trophy has to be seen as a great season but 5th in the league and winning nothing would be a big disapointment especially as this is the last chance for what remains of the 'golden generation' as TweedleDee leaves in the summer and Whittaker's clock is ticking though Murphy I think will beat him to the door.
    Football is the most important of life's least important things.

Arrigo Sacchi

Queensferry Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby S View Post
    Mowbray was pretty predictable, 2 quarter final wins, 2 quarter final defeats and 2 semi final defeats.

Collins so far 2 quarter final wins, 1 semi final win.

And to be brutally honest, but for yet another goalkeeping stinker on Sunday we would have beat Rangers again. Same could be said for boxing day.

I'm sure everything will come good again once we get Andy McNeil back in goals.
    Must say I agree with that post. Especially the last bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

spot on mate

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wee 162 View Post
    Aberdeen at home in the cup second half

I would say we are going through a pretty hard run of games which eases up a wee bit before the split.

I don't think we are playing as well as we have done, but even the playing well was sporadic and liberally interspersed at times with mince.

This is going to sound like heresy to a lot of people but we miss Thomson imo. A lot. He was a very intelligent player who was always available to take an easy pass and keep it moving to another player. That was what our passing side was built on imo and I do think he has been a far bigger loss than people realise. We are probably going to have to change our style a bit to rely on more pace and directness than just pure passing. That is unless we have a player who can take on the Thomson role and do the same sort of job as him, which (again imo) we might just have in Lynch. He needs time to develop and learn, and the supporters have to have a bit of patience for that to happen.
    Totally agree about Thomson. He was a crucial part of the good football that Hibs were playing last season and earlier this season.

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    130 Post(s)
    vCash

Not sure about being predictable, but teams have definitely set out to stop us play. The football may be less exciting, but we are harder to beat with a couple of exceptions of course. But look at the players we have lost or have missing since January - Killen is a huge loss in terms of goals and holding the play up, Zemmama is always likely to create something and certainly excitment, Stewart is a major driving force from midfield, Thomson selling his soul has cost us a cool head at the centre of things, but it could be argued he was lost to us as soon as uncle willie appeared. Shiels briefly came back only to drop out again. These five would be a loss to any squad plus we have a bit of a dip from Sproule, teams being more wise possibly and Beuzelin who has not enjoyed so much help with the loss of Thomson and Stewart.

It was a huge mistake not to strengthen in January but one I expect to see sorted out in the summer.

The other thing which is predictable about Hibs is our second half of the season form and that has come along under every manager I can think of except the season in the 1st Div.

Like other posters I could live with a few 1-0 ugly wins. I want us to romp home to a 3-0 win relax and knock the ball around, but in this part of the season winning is what counts and winning is the only thing that matters in cup games.
    Erin Go Bragh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by wee 162 View Post
    This is going to sound like heresy to a lot of people but we miss Thomson imo.
    I agree, but I also agree with Vini, we've been missing him since McKay turned his head.

Still, we're only 2 wins against Killie and Dunfermline away from a trophy and Europe and one more win for the holy grail.

Opportunity has rarely knocked as loud as it's knocking now ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    Not sure about being predictable, but teams have definitely set out to stop us play.
    That's what I'm seeing. We needed a defensive midfielder to take the heat away from Boozy and Stewart.

Pity about the Chippo thing. Hope Stewart gets back pronto.

Bounce Flag Co-Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    553 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I agree, but I also agree with Vini, we've been missing him since McKay turned his head.
    Agree with that totally.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2502 Post(s)
    vCash

We have to remember we have lost quite a few very good players in the last year, especially in the striking department. Mowbray inherited two terrific young strikers in O'Connor and Riordan and in fairness to him, got the best out of them. They are both gone now, and the equally prolific Killen is out for the season. I think there is no doubt for now that Hibs have lost the goal threat we had, but Collins and Craig have clearly worked hard to improve the workrate and the fitness of the players they have inherited from the previous manager. We have also improved defensively.

The close season will be very interesting. Collins simply has to be given significant resources to build his own team in the summer because as other bouncers have said, in many ways, he is probably going to have to start from scratch again. He will need to bring in five players in my opinion to come straight into the first team.

I think Hibs under John Collins will always try to play fast attacking football, but I think there will be a greater emphasis on workrate and fitness. I also think he will sign bigger players, with an emphasis on pace. All these changes of emphasis that Collins has started to make, and will continue next season, are absolutely vital if we want Hibs to be regular winners and not just a team who get occasional praise from the media for playing pretty football. Our management team know that it is just as important what we do as a team when we don't have the ball, as it is when we do have it.

I am encouraged by what Collins and Craig have done so far, despite all the rumoured nonsense from one or two players who will be out the door pronto if they do not comply with the managers methods.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6582 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post