vCash
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1626 Post(s)

The Crying Game: Hibernian FC

Lots of nostalgic(Kenny) and defiant(Jamesie) stuff floating about this morning on the various threads and it does'nt half make ye think "what if it had've went another way", re; the results with the teams that Kenny has highlighted, and the events thrown up in Jamesies thread. But it would'nt be Hibs without the emotional rollercoaster we as fans have encountered down through the years, and its had me thinking of how Hibs have reduced me to tears on a number of occasions, not just tears of dismay but joy as well. Here's my pick of The Crying Game ...

First up was the Scottish Cup 1979.
    I was a tad too young to appreciate, in terms of emotion, the great Turnbull team of the early 70's, although I was at all of the big games, 0-7, League Cup Final '72, Dryburgh Cup Finals, Euro games v Liverpool, Leeds, Sporting Lisbon, etc. I got on the emotional rollercoaster that is Hibs in my late teens years.
    The ride started when we took the Huns to 3 games and blew it in the last few minutes of extra time in a game(another one) we should've won. My tears wer'nt solely because we lost the cup but more for Arthur Duncan. Nijinsky was one of our greatest club servants, a player who had the ability to leave a defender standing with one flick of his left boot and a lighting pace that the Roadrunner would've been proud of. But his failure was his final ball. On too many occasions Arthur just could'nt find his man, his cross was short/long or he just fluffed it. Yesteryears equivilant of Ivan Sproule.
    I was standing on the old East Terrace at Hampden and the view of the opposite end, where the Hun Hordes were congregated under the West Enclosure, was clear as day even on pissing-down night as it was. I could see clearly as Nijinsky made his back post covering run at a Hun corner and rising above them all to nod it clear for another corner. Only his header went inside the post instead of around it. I could see the Huns all rise in unison as Arthurs header hit the net. The hearts of thousands of Hibbies were shattered there and then, we knew our best chance had gone, we would never be that close again. I sat down on my hunkers as the last few minutes were played out and watched in numbed silence. My thoughts wer'nt so much that we'd lost the cup but more for Arthur and how that should never happen to a player who gave so much to our club.

June/July 1990
    Probably one of the most emotional periods of being a Hibby.
    The Mercer bid. The Rally at the Usher Hall. Joe Baker kissing the turf at Easter Road. Reading the Evening News headlines that said it was over. The relief. The tears of joy.

27th October 1991
    After the shenanigins of the previous year this was our one-fingered salute to Mercer. The "gettit right $#@!in' up ye" of all "gettit right $#@!in' up ye's"
    Not so much Hibs had won the cup but we'd beat Mercer and survived to throw the $#@!e back in his face at his way of thinking that Hibs could never compete for, and win, any major honours.
    How we partied that night and there was'nt a dry eye in the house.

22nd October 2000
    In my plooky yoof my years of following Hibs were always in the company of the Auld Man, then the "independance" kicked in and going to the game with my mates was the "big thing".
    It was'nt until the mid-90's that the "trend" of going to the game with my Dad returned. This co-incided with my own return to "my first love". For a number of years I'd been two-timing Hibs, I'd been seeing another. I was playing amateur fitbaw on a saturday afternoon! The main reason for this was I could'nt hack the conveyer belt of $#@!e that Miller turned out on a regular basis. Dont get me wrong, some of the players he had at his disposal were good, quality, and skilled players, but his use of them and tactics made me join the "$#@! this, am no comin' back again" brigade.
    The emotional pull became too much for me eventually, and I was missing games(amateur) to go back and watch Hibs. Going to the games regularly with my Dad seemed the done thing at the time.
    It all culminated in an emotional crescendo on a sunday night at Easter Road when Russell Latapy "twisting, turning, lovely one-two, yeeesss, that is absolutely wonderful from Russell Latapy, six of the best from Hibs, they've been just stunning" had the two of us dancing and hugging each other on the East Terrace without a hankie in sight. The memory of the last time me and my Dad partook in such activity was 1st January 1973.

This is life. This is Hibernian FC.

Now where did I put they hankies?

Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1721 Post(s)

Re: The Crying Game: Hibernian FC

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lots of nostalgic(Kenny) and defiant(Jamesie) stuff floating about this morning on the various threads and it does'nt half make ye think "what if it had've went another way", re; the results with the teams that Kenny has highlighted, and the events thrown up in Jamesies thread. But it would'nt be Hibs without the emotional rollercoaster we as fans have encountered down through the years, and its had me thinking of how Hibs have reduced me to tears on a number of occasions, not just tears of dismay but joy as well. Here's my pick of The Crying Game ...

I was a tad too young to appreciate, in terms of emotion, the great Turnbull team of the early 70's, although I was at all of the big games, 0-7, League Cup Final '72, Dryburgh Cup Finals, Euro games v Liverpool, Leeds, Sporting Lisbon, etc. I got on the emotional rollercoaster that is Hibs in my late teens years.
    The ride started when we took the Huns to 3 games and blew it in the last few minutes of extra time in a game(another one) we should've won. My tears wer'nt solely because we lost the cup but more for Arthur Duncan. Nijinsky was one of our greatest club servants, a player who had the ability to leave a defender standing with one flick of his left boot and a lighting pace that the Roadrunner would've been proud of. But his failure was his final ball. On too many occasions Arthur just could'nt find his man, his cross was short/long or he just fluffed it. Yesteryears equivilant of Ivan Sproule.
    I was standing on the old East Terrace at Hampden and the view of the opposite end, where the Hun Hordes were congregated under the West Enclosure, was clear as day even on pissing-down night as it was. I could see clearly as Nijinsky made his back post covering run at a Hun corner and rising above them all to nod it clear for another corner. Only his header went inside the post instead of around it. I could see the Huns all rise in unison as Arthurs header hit the net. The hearts of thousands of Hibbies were shattered there and then, we knew our best chance had gone, we would never be that close again. I sat down on my hunkers as the last few minutes were played out and watched in numbed silence. My thoughts wer'nt so much that we'd lost the cup but more for Arthur and how that should never happen to a player who gave so much to our club.
    June/July 1990
    The Mercer bid. The Rally at the Usher Hall. Joe Baker kissing the turf at Easter Road. Reading the Evening News headlines that said it was over. The relief. The tears of joy.

27th October 1991
    After the shenanigins of the previous year this was our one-fingered salute to Mercer. The "gettit right $#@!in' up ye" of all "gettit right $#@!in' up ye's"
    Not so much Hibs had won the cup but we'd beat Mercer and survived to throw the $#@!e back in his face at his way of thinking that Hibs could never compete for, and win, any major honours.

22nd October 2000
    In my plooky yoof my years of following Hibs were always in the company of the Auld Man, then the "independance" kicked in and going to the game with my mates was the "big thing".
    It was'nt until the mid-90's that the "trend" of going to the game with my Dad returned. This co-incided with my own return to "my first love". For a number of years I'd been two-timing Hibs, I'd been seeing another. I was playing amateur fitbaw on a saturday afternoon! The main reason for this was I could'nt hack the conveyer belt of $#@!e that Miller turned out on a regular basis. Dont get me wrong, some of the players he had at his disposal were good, quality, and skilled players, but his use of them and tactics made me join the "$#@! this, am no comin' back again" brigade.
    The emotional pull became too much for me eventually, and I was missing games(amateur) to go back and watch Hibs. Going to the games regularly with my Dad seemed the done thing at the time.
    It all culminated in an emotional crescendo on a sunday night at Easter Road when Russell Latapy "twisting, turning, lovely one-two, yeeesss, that is absolutely wonderful from Russell Latapy, six of the best from Hibs, they've been just stunning" had the two of us dancing and hugging each other on the East Terrace without a hankie in sight. The memory of the last time me and my Dad partook in such activity was 1st January 1973.

Nice to know Hibs fans still hold Arthur in such high regard. I'll tell him the next time I see him

By the way, every single time we lose to the Gunts has my lip quivvering. Thank f*ck it seems like it won't happen again
    Game's rigged, why bother?

The Hibee Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

The threads this morning have been serious and thought provoking, knowing that many fellow Hibbies share the same love for this famous old club as i do, confirms that this team will never die. Sure it's been a rollercoaster, but hard times and tough education strengthens your passions and will for this club to succeed. We as Hibs fans have learned to laugh and cry together. GGTTH.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

What about the first game, where McCloy pulled down Colin Campbell (Sports) ? I don't think I've ever actually seen a telly replay of that.

The Hibee Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What about the first game, where McCloy pulled down Colin Campbell (Sports) ? I don't think I've ever actually seen a telly replay of that.
    I had the most perfect view off that, feckin stonewaller. Funnily enough i've never seen it on telly either.

Freeloading Admin Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1626 Post(s)

Yep, if I remember correctly, did'nt the referee $#@! off to do a bit of Arab-jockeying soon after that because of "things" in his private life allegedly.

McGinlay feckwit. :wa**ker:

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2004 Post(s)

don't think I've ever cried at a Hibs game but I was certainly slavering, drooling and howling at the moon on 22.10.00 when wee Russell banged in the sixth
    until the sky turns green

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    don't think I've ever cried at a Hibs game but I was certainly slavering, drooling and howling at the moon on 22.10.00 when wee Russell banged in the sixth

I was actually thinking about that 6th goal this morning for some strange reason...!!! Does anyone know if there is a 'still-shot' available of the ball leaving his foot??? Would make a great living-room centrepiece...???

Are those C##t's no ****ing deid yet radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)

When some boy nutmegged Jim Leighton in the Scottish Cup to send them through to the next round - bawled my eyes out all afternoon at that.

When Kjell Oloffson scored against the cabbage to relegate us.....bawled my eyes out all summer.
    FC Union, Unsere Liebe

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Nice to know Hibs fans still hold Arthur in such high regard. I'll tell him the next time I see him

By the way, every single time we lose to the Gunts has my lip quivvering. Thank f*ck it seems like it won't happen again

Arthur was a great servant to the club. Re his own goal in the 79 final replay, he had to go for that cross, cos Derek Johnstone was waiting at the far post to nod it in. Yep at full time the only time I've seen grown men cry at a game. Anyway it should never gone beyond 90 minutes if that tosser McGinlay had been doing his job properly...$#@! $#@! $#@! ad infinitum.

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

The first game was broadcast live, likewise I've never seen it on tv. The two replays were limited to highlights. I've seen the Higgins goal in the 2nd replay on tv, butterfingers McCloy virtaully pushed the ball into big Tony's path

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy'O'Hibee View Post
    I had the most perfect view off that, feckin stonewaller. Funnily enough i've never seen it on telly either.

Bloody sure it was a penalty, any other team bar the huns and he would have awarded it...couldn't believe it when he waved play on ...$#@! McGinlay $#@! ..$#@!....

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilrig View Post
    Bloody sure it was a penalty, any other team bar the huns and he would have awarded it...couldn't believe it when he waved play on ...$#@! McGinlay $#@! ..$#@!....
    A bigger stonewaller than a stonewall thing, McGinlay must have been the beneficiary of a few free beers in the lodge that summer, the feckin gimp

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6770 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy'O'Hibee View Post

The decision was a feckin disgrace and no doubt about that. I went to all of these games and TBH we had a great chance to win the cup. One second of homerism by the ref and that was $#@!ing that
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2566 Post(s)

What made it all the more frustrating was that it was a very poor Rangers team. Hibs should have had that cup won no doubt about it. A blatant penalty in the first game, numerous chances creared and missed, thn Arthurs tragic own goal. Sad to think that a year later we were relegated.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    The decision was a feckin disgrace and no doubt about that. I went to all of these games and TBH we had a great chance to win the cup. One second of homerism by the ref and that was $#@!ing that
    I remember looking over at the VIP box at the old South Stand before the start of extra time in the 3rd game - there was the Scottish Cup gleaming in the floodlights - and thinking Christ we could actually win that tonight. We were as good as them, matched them in everything in that game - Macnamara and MacLeod played the game of their lives - just that horrible bit of bad luck at the end.

Pat Stanton is a legend ya Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1991 me in the hibernian board room i cried when i picked the cup up and cuddled it like one of my bairns ,no ashamed to tell the world either

A True Gadgie/Gadgess
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyharp1875 View Post
    1991 me in the hibernian board room i cried when i picked the cup up and cuddled it like one of my bairns ,no ashamed to tell the world either
    How come you managed to get the BP Youth Cup in the picture ? Us lesser mortals had to make do with the Skol Cup and League Cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HH im sure iv seen you in a german porno ......or maybe the four in hand
    <a href=http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/addymc/Picture003.jpg target=_blank>http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture003.jpg</a>

Maple Leaf Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    670 Post(s)

Lovely words from Gunner up the top there and many interesting and thought provoking posts to follow.

I don't think anybody has mentioned thre greatest tear-jerker of recent times though?

The tears of laughter resulting from the mirth coming out of Merrickland of late.

I'm a Pogues Radge
    Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

By the way my Big Wee Bruv still has that Hibs top.. Unwashed from that glorious day i think!!!!
    SUNSHINE ON LEITH. hibbymick

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

June/July 1990

27th October 1991

22nd October 2000

gunner can you remember us in andy burns old evening news van going to hampden for the 1st game.....i think there was 11 hibbys and 1 hun (gary johnstone)sitting on planks in the back off the van,spails up your bum.waldorf and statler were pissed as normal(somethings dont change eh)my 1st hibs final and not my last
    <a href=http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p35/addymc/Picture003.jpg target=_blank>http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...Picture003.jpg</a>

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i got a tour and it was sitting in the cabinet so i asked if i could get my photo taken with all of them and they said ok,and (note to greedy swindling scumbo board )we never got charged a bolt for the pleasure of getting our photos taken with the cup,the difference between us (the chosen ones) and them (peasants)

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i certainly have wee big bruv pride of place in my room ,and the final pride of place in my heart for eternity fabby day ,bring on the next one ,,hopefully

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

only 7-0 !!!!!! i will wrap my thumb around my four (fingers)in hand and box you right on the beak ya cheeky bassa yae

Put the Feckin Lotion in the Basket Radge!
    Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    164 Post(s)

At this point in 1979, I was only 8 years old. I remember being at the semi-final against Aberdeen with my dad, and also at an earlier round (perhaps against Berwick down there?).

I then could not understand how my dad would not take me to Hampden for the final (the reason became apparent later in life after I was told stories of Huns chasing "fenian $#@!" Hibs fans around Govan during the 60's and it was no place for an 8 year old!!). Thank feck i am a Proddie like my mum!

Anyway, back to the game and watching it on TV in the house. I actually remember the blatant penalty incident with McLoy and Colin "CCS" Campbell. Then, I am sure late in the second half, McLoy made a great save from Campbell to deny us victory.

For the 3rd and final game, I was confined to listening to the match on the Bush retro radio in the house. I always remember the moment when Arthur Duncan scored that unfortunate own goal, and I think that set me up very well for the numerous disappointments that I have subsequently encountered watching The Hibs!!

Oh, and a penchant for a good bevvy!
    God Bless Mummy C
    Original fan of the HFC

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

79 cup final stone waller penalty that we didnt get pass the memory blanking drugs please

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zondervan View Post
    At this point in 1979, I was only 8 years old. I remember being at the semi-final against Aberdeen with my dad, and also at an earlier round (perhaps against Berwick down there?).

I then could not understand how my dad would not take me to Hampden for the final (the reason became apparent later in life after I was told stories of Huns chasing "fenian $#@!" Hibs fans around Govan during the 60's and it was no place for an 8 year old!!). Thank feck i am a Proddie like my mum!

Anyway, back to the game and watching it on TV in the house. I actually remember the blatant penalty incident with McLoy and Colin "CCS" Campbell. Then, I am sure late in the second half, McLoy made a great save from Campbell to deny us victory.

For the 3rd and final game, I was confined to listening to the match on the Bush retro radio in the house. I always remember the moment when Arthur Duncan scored that unfortunate own goal, and I think that set me up very well for the numerous disappointments that I have subsequently encountered watching The Hibs!!

Oh, and a penchant for a good bevvy!
    I remember listening to it on the radio and going spare because Nikinsky had scored, it was only when the excitement wore off and the commentator confirmed the socreline that I realised it was an OG?/em

GoGO Back To Forum