Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    vCash

Our Central Defence

I'm loving how solid we look at the back with Jonesy and Shelts there. These two players are making a sizeable contribution to the way we are playing and they also give a huge amount of confidence to the team.

Put simply, I believe they've both made a HUGE difference.

However, and I'm sorry to piss on the fireworks here, what happens when they are missing?

I mean of course, injuries and suspensions. It's bound to happen sometime and I'm worried that knowing our luck, it'll be right at a crucial time. Hoggy can play a bit but he's no a man-mountain, inspiring fae the back, scorin at corners kinda dude is he?

This squad does have so much potential to do something this year, yet this area, along with the (do I even need to mention it?) goalkeeping scenario, looks like being our downfall.

Tell me i'm a pessimistic kant but honestly, I just know that we've left ourselves short here and it could kill our season. Again. Alternatively, maybe the Jan window will let us sign a couple of cover players, keep the stars and rip-roar on to glory. What do you think?

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Re: Our Central Defence

Agree wi this. Could struggle without the big two. Keep developing Hogg is a start. Cabbage would be really unlucky to have both out long term at the same time, causing permanent damage to our season. Both could marshal Hogg through any games that the other was injured, however, I agree 100% that we need good cover for them.

Hungry Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)
    vCash

Yer a pessimistic kant.

See where you're coming from though. However, my philosophy at the moment, having watched Hibs for over 40 years, is enjoy it while it lasts. The fringe players know that they have to step up to the plate when their chance comes so I have every confidence in our squad for the rest of the season.

Juvenile Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

Its good to feel a certain confidence that the defence aren't going to get muscled out and the oposition put the ball past us.

The defense is certainly helping the keeper also, he feels more conifdent in his defense

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    vCash

Reckon as long as both of them ain't out at the same time then we'll be fine. Having Jonesy and Shelts at the club will only help Hoggy improve, and I've not really any worries about either him or Konde coming in to cover for one of them. If they're both out at the same time however might be a bit more worried...

Spaktacuradge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1465 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Keepitgreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm loving how solid we look at the back with Jonesy and Shelts there. These two players are making a sizeable contribution to the way we are playing and they also give a huge amount of confidence to the team.

Put simply, I believe they've both made a HUGE difference.

However, and I'm sorry to piss on the fireworks here, what happens when they are missing?

I mean of course, injuries and suspensions. It's bound to happen sometime and I'm worried that knowing our luck, it'll be right at a crucial time. Hoggy can play a bit but he's no a man-mountain, inspiring fae the back, scorin at corners kinda dude is he?

This squad does have so much potential to do something this year, yet this area, along with the (do I even need to mention it?) goalkeeping scenario, looks like being our downfall.

Tell me i'm a pessimistic kant but honestly, I just know that we've left ourselves short here and it could kill our season. Again. Alternatively, maybe the Jan window will let us sign a couple of cover players, keep the stars and rip-roar on to glory. What do you think?

Aye, bring back Caldwell...

What I'm saying is; it's a start. HOw $#@!ing pish were we at the back before these guys came along? And for how long? I'm glad they're here. LIke Bluetoon says; make the most of it. Mibby Tony & Mark will be able to add In January.
    Happythankyoumoreplease.

The artist formerly known as Dixie Bartok's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    vCash

They weren't here at all last season; how did we manage then? As always, we make do with what we have. We just have to hope that there aren't too many injuries or suspensions, as that could definitely cost us games. Trouble being that it tends to be defenders that get the bans, doing what they do. Hogg appears to be good enough as a back-up player and when he gets his chance he'll be keen to make a big impression. I do agree that we could do with more cover but with the finances the way they are that won't happen soon.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3814 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    They weren't here at all last season; how did we manage then? As always, we make do with what we have. We just have to hope that there aren't too many injuries or suspensions, as that could definitely cost us games. Trouble being that it tends to be defenders that get the bans, doing what they do. Hogg appears to be good enough as a back-up player and when he gets his chance he'll be keen to make a big impression. I do agree that we could do with more cover but with the finances the way they are that won't happen soon.
    Colin , I don't suppose you have but you really need to see the difference these guys have made.
    PM me your address

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2499 Post(s)
    vCash

For me, our new central defensive partnership has been the most pleasing aspect of our performances so far this season. We have not had a good defence since Franck Sauzee was playing there. Jones is such an inspiring defender, and Martis is the perfect foil for him. Yes, we will miss either of them if they are injured or suspended, and that is why I am glad Konde was kept for the moment along with Chris Hogg. I really hope we do not have to resort to having both Konde and Hogg playing together though.

Strange as it may sound, despite all these goals raining in, I still feel we could do with experienced cover up front.

Re Malkowski, no doubt he is more confident looking this season having Jones and Martis in front of him. I also think Steven Whittaker looks more assured. It's amazing what having a couple of central defenders who can actually do the job well, can do for a team. I like the way Rob Jones organises the defence as a unit as well.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Snuff Munching Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    Badly actually!

Hanover Frederick Castle Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    vCash

Talk about premonitions...