Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Is The Current Wage Cap At ER Making It Impossible For Mogga To Improve The Squad?

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Is The Current Wage Cap At ER Making It Impossible For Mogga To Improve The Squad?

Perhaps the real reason we've had no joy in the transfer market is due to Mogga not finding anyone available as good as we've got that will come to ER under the current wage structure?

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1943 Post(s)

Re: Is The Current Wage Cap At ER Making It Impossible For Mogga To Improve The Squad?

not sure but with just over a week until the season starts its very disappointing that we have only one new signing as we clearly lack strength in depth, there will surely be a couple more in by the end of August and lets pray that Broon, Thomson, Boozy and Murphy can stay injury free.
    Looks like another season of Simon Brown / Zibi an aw
    until the sky turns green

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Re: Is The Current Wage Cap At ER Making It Impossible For Mogga To Improve The Squad?

Quote Originally Posted by tricky
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's my main concern. IMO the O'Connor/Riordan partnership for the best part of the entire Mowbray tenure has more than compensated for the deficiencies in defence/Goalkeeping..

Hibernian, Hibernian Ra Ra Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6717 Post(s)

Did we not gat this "signings are imminent" p1sh at the start of last season as well? I seem to recall excitement about possible new players who never materialised then. The answer to the original post is in my opinion a resounding YES. However the club are between a rock and a hard place, dont loosen the purse strings and the fans arent happy, spend lots of cash on players thereby putting the club into more debt and the fans arent happy.
    They're gone, not here, forgotten
    The maroon brigade now cry
    The city is now Hibernian
    The team that would not die

[© Daddy O'Hibee]

If you don’t know what introspection is, you need to take a long, hard look at yourself

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2214 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub
    Did we not gat this "signings are imminent" p1sh at the start of last season as well? I seem to recall excitement about possible new players who never materialised then. The answer to the original post is in my opinion a resounding YES. However the club are between a rock and a hard place, dont loosen the purse strings and the fans arent happy, spend lots of cash on players thereby putting the club into more debt and the fans arent happy.
    we shouldnt spend huge, but look at these facts. O'Connor, Riordan, Caldwell have all came off the wage bill and in Garrys case we have saved a lot of weeks in pay. we bought Jones for 150k...but....we reportadly got 150k for Deeks. That means we still have all Garrys transfer fee which is accruing interest (or saving interest if put into the debts) With all the pay saved for these 3 players and Garrys fee we sould be capable of investing a million on the team and still having close on a million to put towards debt repayment, bearing in mind it would be surprising if we also hadnt made a million profit on all our commercial activity last year.

Blackhall Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    Contribute If you enjoy reading the
    content here, click the below
    image to support our site.
    Click Here To Contribute To Our Site

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If they are going after Bosman signings then yes the wage cap will limit the type of player we could attract. Anyone think that right now Hibs could splash say £150k/£200k on spl based players and get three players of decent quality and wages of around £200k per season combined for say three players that would enhance the squad at least if not the first eleven?

get off yer bum an sing radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2214 Post(s)

wage cap should be scrapped in favour of a management budget, in other words give TM the million and tell him he has choice to sign Bosman with slightly higher wages or to spendd more on a player with smaller wages.

Righteous Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Imagine being Chairman trying to pay wages,service debt,buy new training facilities,keep young players and management happy with prospects for the future AND listen to the views of all fans who believe they know better!

I dont fancy the job.

Fans need to get used to the idea that Mr Petrie is an accountant and his brief from STF is to balance the books.

By getting TM in and keeping him happy(ish) by buying Ormiston he's doing pretty well.

Fans will always want MORE
    "Pancho needs your prayers it's true but save a few for Lefty too,
    He only did what he had to do and now he's growing old"

:ANYWORD:

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    432 Post(s)

It's standard management speak every close season and every transfer window for all clubs to come out with the 'signings are imminent' quote or 'all season ticket money will be spent on players'.

I suppose there are still some supporters who would still believe that the moon is made of green cheese just as long as someone in club authority says so.

Whatever the financial situation and it's obviously been improving significantly for over a year, I find the lack of forward planning quite worrying as Riordan, Smith and Caldwell were leaving for months and the manager has flagged up Konte and Morrow as obviously not good as he keeps bringing in other strikers and has emptied Antonio Murray.

Tony obviously can't say so but everyone knows both the goalkeepers are dodgy,'Wee Hoggy' is a back up but not a first choice defender and has anyone worked out yet why Konte was signed.

Financially I think Hibs are now offering decent money but they are caught in the trap whereby it's not quite enough to tempt the decent EPL or Nationwide reserves who are looking for a move to take the plunge while still attracting the average player who is no better than the players already here.

Still one phone call and a decent defender and a defensive midfield player might be delivered by the nice football fairy and everyone will be positive and confident again such is the fickleness of football.
    Football is the most important of life's least important things.

Arrigo Sacchi

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To a certain extent the wage cap will be hindering mogga. Plenty ways to get round this eg signing on fees, buy the players ma a hoose, or buy the player a Range Rover etc.

Mogga stated last year that the Scots' start their tranfer activity way before the rest of the country and Europe. Basically nowt really happens until England come back from their summer, and the week before Scotland start their campaign, and into the first couple of weeeks of our season is when clubs are more focused on the season ahead, is when the real transfer activity starts. We've been tracking Jones for some time, he & his agent knew about the interest from the Cabbage, ergo we've got him early.

With these moroccans traing etc, there may well be new signings soon.

Worry not bouncers, Mogga will sort

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Who is that down to though. Mogga was talking about givigin Zibi a new contract so obviously he sees something in him. Mcneil has been here for a season now and many people rate him yet he has been given no chance to prove himself. I find that amazing considering how poor the other keepers have been.

I think if Mogga finds the right players he will sign them and has the money to do so. I just feel as like every transfer window Mogga is slow at making his moves.

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf
    Perhaps the real reason we've had no joy in the transfer market is due to Mogga not finding anyone available as good as we've got that will come to ER under the current wage structure?
    the very reason! and the main reason we will,once again slip further back this season to 5th.
    "history is the foundation upon which the future is built"

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie
    There's also the East Mains project going forward which has cost, and will cost money....

But yes, I do think that the wage cap does make difficulties for TM, although short of finding a millionaire sugar-daddy (who might or might not have our best interests at heart) I don't see what else Rod Petrie can do without jeopardising the future of the club. And without wishing him gone (far from it!) or wanting to appear morbid, I'd assume there must be some thought being put to what happens after Sir Tom Farmer retires/pulls out. It's not an easy situation the team finds itself in right now, and I'm not sure there's a simple answer to the question.
    throw caution to the wind,have a great season,win a cup,sell out's at every game,maybe go bust,drop down to the 3rd division and have a great time coming back up.At least I might have something to shout about before I kick it.better than suffering how close we have been,as my old gran used to say,"a roller coaster ride with all its up's and downs is better than a stable round about with no excitement."

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie
    There's also the East Mains project going forward which has cost, and will cost money....
    Will it?

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1617 Post(s)

2.5k a week for players in their teens and early twenties isnae that bad a wage cap.

If they could make much more elsewhere they'd be off like Garry O' Connor.....

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby S
    2.5k for players in their teens and early twenties isnae that bad a wage cap.

If they could make much more elsewhere they'd be off like Garry O' Connor.....
    That's the point though.

We need a bit of experience. Also 2.5K a week might sound quite nice to us punters but there will not be many players - in their teens or early twenties - in the UK playing in a ground with an average gate of around 13,000 earning much less.

Not suggesting we increase the current cap but just asking if it's making it impossible to improve the squad.

Gunt Hating Uncle Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

That's the point though.

We need a bit of experience. Also 2.5K a week might sound quite nice to us punters but there will not be many players - in their teens or early twenties - in the UK playing in a ground with an average gate of around 13,000 earning much less.

Not suggesting we increase the current cap but just asking if it's making it impossible to improve the squad.
    It certainly makes it more difficult. I'm led to believe the cap on salaries has actually come down again. The figure I've been told certainly wont attract players that are better than the one's we currently have, that's for sure.

We are currently paying in the cases of Brown & Thompson for example, wages that are not in line with their actual worth.

ie team sticks a 2-3 million price tag on you & you're earning 1600 a week for example. If you're a million+ player IMO, you're entitled to earn wages in line with that fee. That's where we fall down.

It will also only get worse IMO, the more International caps these players get. They're going to be training with guys who are earning 10+ times their current salary & the other players aren't short to remind them of that.

I farking hate the Gunts...

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bukta
    It certainly makes it more difficult. I'm led to believe the cap on salaries has actually come down again. The figure I've been told certainly wont attract players that are better than the one's we currently have, that's for sure.

We are currently paying in the cases of Brown & Thompson for example, wages that are not in line with their actual worth.

ie team sticks a 2-3 million price tag on you & you're earning 1600 a week for example. If you're a million+ player IMO, you're entitled to earn wages in line with that fee. That's where we fall down.

It will also only get worse IMO, the more International caps these players get. They're going to be training with guys who are earning 10+ times their current salary & the other players aren't short to remind them of that.

Thats an excellent post. Made me . Especially the last part

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    923 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eckmf
    the very reason! and the main reason we will,once again slip further back this season to 5th.
    Can't see it myself.

Who have Aberdeen or Killie bought that is going to improve them and make them a better side than us????

We have a better side than they two.

Aberdeen have got in some French left back and Killie have signed Grant Murray.

I think we will finish atleast 4th, and with a couple of more signings, maybe higher.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    923 Post(s)

ie team sticks a £2-3 million price tag on you & you're earning £1600 a week for example. If you're a million+ player IMO, you're entitled to earn wages in line with that fee. That's where we fall down.

And the reason we are capping wages is because we were paying some players BIG wages when McLeish was in charge.

Sauzee
    Latapy
    Laursen
    De La Cruz
    Lehmann
    Jack
    Luna
    Zitelli

etc etc were all on £5k+ a week.

That's why our finances are in the mess they are.

At the end of the day, when Thomson, Brown, Sproule, Murphy etc etc all signed new deals, they all knew what wages they would be on.

Id rather we had a wage structure and still have a team to go watch in 25 years time, that pay players stupid money.

Gunt Hating Uncle Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1875steve
    And the reason we are capping wages is because we were paying some players BIG wages when McLeish was in charge.

Sauzee
    Latapy
    Laursen
    De La Cruz
    Lehmann
    Jack
    Luna
    Zitelli

etc etc were all on 5k+ a week.

At the end of the day, when Thomson, Brown, Sproule, Murphy etc etc all signed new deals, they all knew what wages they would be on.

Id rather we had a wage structure and still have a team to go watch in 25 years time, that pay players stupid money.
    Sorry if I appear a little rude, but I'm not sure what the point of your post is. I'm pretty sure we're all aware of how we're in the current state we are & that the players knew what money they were signing for.

In the case of Thompson, Brown, Sproule, Murphy etc etc as quoted, IMO, they've received a pay rise, nothing more nothing less. Their actual contracts mean zip, as the majority of those players will be sold either this season or next IMO.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sauzee
    Latapy
    Laursen
    De La Cruz
    Lehmann
    Jack
    Luna
    Zitelli

etc etc were all on 5k+ a week.

Fair enough. But we got a HUGE return for little outlay for De La Crud. Probably paid for half those signings you mentioned.

Armagh Go Bragh Radge Cal_Hibby_4_Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

not sure but with just over a week until the season starts its very disappointing that we have only one new signing as we clearly lack strength in depth, there will surely be a couple more in by the end of August and lets pray that Broon, Thomson, Boozy and Murphy can stay injury free.

maybe he sees mcneil gettign a chance this season, or will give them til january, then bring in somebody new

I'm a Pogues Radge
    Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

It does make you wonder... Caldwell,Riordan,Smith and Murray left or going and only big Jonesy in...Remember the first game against Aberdeen we also have Sproule AND Murphy suspended,Hogg struggling for Saturday. So we DO need back up AND new signings soon..
    SUNSHINE ON LEITH. hibbymick

I'm a Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Can't see it myself.

Who have Aberdeen or Killie bought that is going to improve them and make them a better side than us????

We have a better side than they two.

Aberdeen have got in some French left back and Killie have signed Grant Murray.

I think we will finish atleast 4th, and with a couple of more signings, maybe higher.
    you fail to grasp the point, the sheep and killie do not have to bring anyone in,we are and will be weaker than last season due to whom we have lost.How many points were we ahead the afore mentioned teams last year,not much and riordan and gary o made the difference.IMO and most level headed hibbies the replacements are not of the same standard,if we do not strengthing the squad,yes we will finnish 5th or 6th,I assure you.

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    811 Post(s)

Re: Is The Current Wage Cap At ER Making It Impossible For Mogga To Improve The Squad

I'm all for paying players their worth but if players are happy to sign 3 year contracts on less than that why should Hibs pay more? We can't match 10 times more, not even close so presumably these players will leave at some point anyway.
    "Son, no one gives a shit about all the things your cell phone does. You didn't invent it, you just bought it. Anybody can do that."

Statistically Radge Admin

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1617 Post(s)

They're going to be training with guys who are earning 10+ times their current salary
    The 10 times bit...do you not think it's closer to 2/3 times or am I missing the point?

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    923 Post(s)

you fail to grasp the point, the sheep and killie do not have to bring anyone in,we are and will be weaker than last season due to whom we have lost.How many points were we ahead the afore mentioned teams last year,not much and riordan and gary o made the difference.IMO and most level headed hibbies the replacements are not of the same standard,if we do not strengthing the squad,yes we will finnish 5th or 6th,I assure you.
    Yes losing Riordan is a big loss.

But losing Smith and Caldwell makes us weaker???

Smith was finished and Caldwell was crap.

O'Connor left at Christmas, and we still finished above both of them.

There's still plenty time to bring players in.

Does the transfer window not stay open till the end of August?

Radge Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    790 Post(s)

Prefer having the wage cap, makes it easier for us to get rid of debt i think, if we had players earning say over 5k a week then we would be in so much debt but i feel when we get rid of the debt and get a we bit of money in then we need to increase wages but only a bit, not so much that its going to put us back in millions of pounds in debt.

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    923 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenscratch
    Fair enough. But we got a HUGE return for little outlay for De La Crud. Probably paid for half those signings you mentioned.
    We paid 700,000 for De La Cruz anf got 1.5m for him, i wouldn't say that was a huge return myself.

Petrie said then that if we hadn't sold Luarsen and De La Cruz we were up sh@t creek iirc.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

We paid 700,000 for De La Cruz anf got 1.5m for him, i wouldn't say that was a huge return myself.
    Economics obviously not your main strength...

Anyone know where i can get 15 back for every 7 i put in...

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub
    Ah but only if we (a) spend too much, and (b) spend it on $#@!e.

If we keep within REASONABLE constraints (less constricted than now though), and buy good players who perform well, then I doubt the fans will be unhappy.

To have bought 1 player so far is utter pish as far as I am concerned

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    923 Post(s)

Economics obviously not your main strength...

Anyone know where i can get 15 back for every 7 i put in...
    No if your paying them 7,000 a week.

Gunt Hating Uncle Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby S
    The 10 times bit...do you not think it's closer to 2/3 times or am I missing the point?
    Well Bobby depends on how you look at it & what pay scale you're coming from I suppose. For example, Rangers got something like 35,000 bonus a man for one Champs League game last season. Add on appearence money, bonuses throughout the season etc & you're not too far off, if not indeed over, 10x what players will currently be earning at Hibs. IMO. That's only players in the SPL. In the EPL, they make even more. I know certain players used to like to tell others how much money they were earning at International get togethers & there was certainly a massive difference.

Formerly known as jimmyhibs

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

jeezo! this is the understatement of the week.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhibs
    jeezo! this is the understatement of the week.
    You got your boots Jimmy?

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2531 Post(s)

Just back from my unfortunatly cut short weeks holiday, to find these rather depressing "no signings imminent" stories being reported. Let's be straight about this, Mowbray MUST bring in at least 2 new players before the season starts through sheer necessity. We only have three fit central defenders on our books, Jones, Konde, and Hogg. Riordan has left and has to be replaced. We could also do with a defensive midfielder although this is less of a priority. It is inexcusable for the manager to turn round now and say he has not found the right players. He has had months to get this sorted out. He was quoted a few weeks ago saying the quality he was looking for would make a direct impact into the first team. Let's see it then Tony, or else stop kidding the fans on.

No more excuses Mr Mowbray. The team needs strengthened before the season starts. You have known this for months.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Radge Private Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

Yes!

Easy Now Radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2131 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmachine
    Just back from my unfortunatly cut short weeks holiday, to find these rather depressing "no signings imminent" stories being reported. Let's be straight about this, Mowbray MUST bring in at least 2 new players before the season starts through sheer necessity. We only have three fit central defenders on our books, Jones, Konde, and Hogg. Riordan has left and has to be replaced. We could also do with a defensive midfielder although this is less of a priority. It is inexcusable for the manager to turn round now and say he has not found the right players. He has had months to get this sorted out. He was quoted a few weeks ago saying the quality he was looking for would make a direct impact into the first team. Let's see it then Tony, or else stop kidding the fans on.

No more excuses Mr Mowbray. The team needs strengthened before the season starts. You have known this for months.
    http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm...&id=1058832006

Not looking good at all im afraid

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beefy
    The PR machine at ER really knows how to talk up the football team these days. Hopefully i am wrong but IMO we should have a combined attendance for the game on Saturday and next weeks friendly of around 27,000 (15,000 on Sat and 12,000 for the friendly) but i can't see us doing anymore than 18,000.

What has happened to all the positive talk Tony?

Look out for a "I am happy with the squad i've got" coming your way soon. Pissed off as we are nowhere near equiped to put in the challenge this first half of the season as we were first half of last season.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    303 Post(s)

Season has not even started yet and already Mowbray seems to be getting criticised for nothing.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20
    Season has not even started yet and already Mowbray seems to be getting criticised for nothing.
    Regardless to what any of us think of Gary Caldwell he was our club captain and Mowbray obviously rated him very highly. Garry O'Connor and Derek Riordan scored 50 goals a season. Gary Smith was required for the best part of the season.

For MONTHS the club have known that these players were NOT going to be part of the new 2006-2007 season.

It's nothing to do with having a pop at anyone. All i am asking, as is every Hibby i meet, "Why are we not prepared?" when we've known for a very long time the situation we are in.

Donator
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    303 Post(s)

Regardless to what any of us think of Gary Caldwell he was our club captain and Mowbray obviously rated him very highly. Garry O'Connor and Derek Riordan scored 50 goals a season. Gary Smith was required for the best part of the season.

For MONTHS the club have known that these players were NOT going to be part of the new 2006-2007 season.

It's nothing to do with having a pop at anyone. All i am asking, as is every Hibby i meet, "Why are we not prepared?" when we've known for a very long time the situation we are in.
    Mowbray has already said players will be coming before the end of the transfer window. Maybe people choose not to believe this, but I will take his word for it. It should not matter if players are in at the start of the summer or the end of it, as long as they arrive.

We still have a good squad there and with the couple of players that have still to come in, I am confident of a good season ahead.

Radge Private Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6674 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20
    Mowbray has already said players will be coming before the end of the transfer window. Maybe people choose not to believe this, but I will take his word for it.

We still have a good squad there and with the couple of players that have still to come in, I am confident of a good season ahead.
    It's all reminding me of the close season last season.

At least then though we were more equiped than we are now.

Toddler Radge
    Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hibs always sign three players at 11.59 pm on the 31 August, so just relax. By then we may well be out of Europe, League Cup and bottom six, so no reason not to be optimistic.

Seriously, there is no wrong or right - uncompetitive pay level is stopping us getting more than journeyman class, Mogga stuck in catch 22 situation! Gamble on half fit good players or pish?

Additional investment is required - bigger gates, generous benefactor (real one please) or corporate sponsorship/tv increase; which all seem a long way off at present!!

Could go in but, .....

Quite a bit past it radge

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6457 Post(s)

............maybe go bust,drop down to the 3rd division and have a great time coming back up.

Ah!

Another 'Great Adventure!'

Happy Days!!
    :YAYYY:

erm.......no, wait a minute.

Radge Donator

Post Thanks / Like
    vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2531 Post(s)

But it's the complete change in the statements that TM has made to the media that worries me. For the last 2 months or so we have been told ad nauseum that "quality" additions will be made to the squad, and new players are "only a phone call away". Then it was that "Premiership clubs had not even returned to training yet". What are the fans supposed to make of quotes like that from a highly respected and popular manager ? Now we are getting that it is "unlikely" that new players will be in before the season starts, and all of a sudden Mowbrays words sound depressingly downbeat about the possibility of bringing in these "quality" players. This is of course after all the season ticket money is in.

It is not a case of strengthening the squad. It is a case of replacing vital players we have lost. Caldwell (not a fan of his, but he was an internationalist and our captain), Riordan, and Smith. It is negligence on the part of the manager and the board if decent replacements are not forthcoming. I actually think we have some superb players on our books, but we are seriously lacking in certain key areas, and this must be addressed soon by the manager.

No more woolly words, let's see some action.
    "I can't stress enough how important it is to be in possession of the football - it is better to be the matador rather than the bull"

John Hughes

Formerly known as jimmyhibs

Post Thanks / Like

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You got your boots Jimmy?
    is that part of the hibs wage structure, ''buy your own boots. and while you're at it. take this home and get it washed for next week.''

GoGO Back To Forum